Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    So far you cannot post without saying something personal about me? I guess the plan is to get someone to respond and get banned. Not going to work.

I’m not defensive as I already pointed out, just pointing out the utter bullsh*t been posted.

In regards to photos, as I said a certain element of society yes photos would come out, the higher end of society and I wouldn’t expect photos. The fact you cannot understand why photos didn’t get taken tells it own story

I don’t see what difference photos would make, the main people of interest got found out and lost jobs, I would say it seems odd to want to look at the rest of the people eating dinner but then we have people on this thread stalking posters.

If it was organised with a camera ban and an omerta on who was there (sensitive guests who don't want to be identified) that is of course of interest.

I think you are talking rubbish about 'high end of society'...my local FF gene pool councillor was there and he is not high end anything. In fact he would be the very person who would not wait to tell you he was n the company of an EU commissioner. Plenty others like him there.

You are defensive...you have been defending the government here for the last number of days even though you claim not to hold them in high regard. That doesn't ring true.
    And please...you are quick enough with personal comment about peoples grammar and beliefs yourself. Pot and kettle come to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - that's enough accusations towards Redgirl82, it's gone on for pages now. The site admins can take a look, in the mean time move on and get the thread back on topic.

Any more of these posts will result in an immediate threadban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mod - that's enough accusations towards Redgirl82, it's gone on for pages now. The site admins can take a look, in the mean time move on and get the thread back on topic.

Any more of these posts will result in an immediate threadban

All boils down to the establishment is falling, quicker than anyone could think.

They might even try last the 4 years but Leo might think he has a chance of winning soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

smurgen wrote: »
    He has seriously shady behavior. Shutting down enquiries into mass murder when he didn't have the proper authority to do it. His crash into Garda bollards was bizarre also as was the refusal to comment on it. Then you've the interference in our elections. I said it before and I'll say it again. No other country in the world would have picked him for the job. In most other countries dual citizenship alone would rule you out for the role.

So, because he holds another passport (as per his right under the GFA) he is not Irish enough.
    Do you support the GFA or not?

Well, at least you out yourself as a xenophobe.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Who is asking questions about Drew Harris? I have only seen a few cranks on the internet ask questions. Even the SF politicians shut up about him very quickly.

Where are you going with your vast majority who don't support SF are asking questions?

Harris attracts the same type of people who attacked Obama about his birth certificate.
    The 'birthers' of Ireland hate him. Social Media is full of vile stuff about this man, most of it orchestrated.

Of course, its all smoke and mirrors. No proof, no evidence, just weird accusations and mud slinging.

On a more serious note, this is the type of UI we can look forward to if SF drives it, one where Unionists or 'Prods' are not to be trusted and will be left outside the door when it comes to positions of authority and responsibility.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    I'm xenophobic? That's a serious accusations please retract it. You're saying all other countries allow non nationals or citizens to become head of police. Is this correct?

Afaik, he holds an Irish Passport, so yes, you are xenophobic because he is not Irish enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

markodaly wrote: »
    Afaik, he holds an Irish Passport, so yes, you are xenophobic because he is not Irish enough.

To be perfectly frank, I think this a cheap and frankly b*llocks line of arguement. I believe certain posters are doing what they always do,.trying to make a sacred cow out of an individual for poltical purposes.

I have no particular ill-will towards Harris or the appointment of him from outside the jurisdiction, but let's be real, the judicial review up north of him sh*tcanning an independent investigation body into matters that had a high chance of revealing state collision is not kind to him.

He may well turn out to be a very expensive mistake in that context.

You don't need to be member of SF to be uneasy with his MI5 links either. Lest it be forgot, they are and were not nice people in the NI context. And if you're moral grandstanding about the dead, you need to be prepared to grandstand about them all, no matter who was responsible.

No individual is unimpeachable, and attempts to turn Harris into a sacred cow are dangerous.

Yurt! wrote: »
    No individual is unimpeachable, and attempts to turn Harris into a sacred cow are dangerous.

Unimpeachale? No, of course not. No one has suggested this.

However, may I remind you that it was posters like FrancieBrady and Smurgen that brought Harris in to the conversation.
    Smurgen even goes on to say..
    A Garda commissioner that needs immediate removal.
    ...because he cannot be trusted.

He didn't do anything wrong as Garda Comminiosr mind you, there is no accusations that he was unbecoming in that role, but because he is not Irish enough, he cannot be 'trusted'.

Why are you not willing to call out this blatent sectarian and xenophobic nonsense?

However, may I remind you that it was posters like FrancieBrady and Smurgen that brought Harris in to the conversation.

He didn't do anything wrong as Garda Comminiosr mind you, there is no accusations that he was unbecoming in that role, but because he is not Irish enough, he cannot be 'trusted'.

Why are you not willing to call out this blatent sectarian and xenophobic nonsense?

This is scutter.

And yes, I fully believe you're attempting to make a sacred cow out of an individual has one of the most sensitive roles in the state.

Partisan garbage

Yurt! wrote: »
    This is scutter.

And yes, I fully believe you're attempting to make a sacred cow out of an individual has one of the most sensitive roles in the state.

Partisan garbage

So, you refuse to condemn the use of xenophobic and sectarian language?
    Grand, but at least own it.

• Advertisement

So, you refuse to condemn the use of xenophobic and sectarian language?
    Grand, but at least own it.

Nothing posted in this thread about Harris can be reasonably filed as xenophobic or sectarian. You're talking through your hoop.

There's nothing of the sort to codemn you silly sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He signed the UK's Official Secrets Act. This signing has no expiry date. My highlighting of dual citizenship was to show that it's common that other countries exclude people holding dual citizenship for certain positions. This isn't xenophobic. This is a practical consideration to avoid complication such as someone unable to fill their role due to prior obligations such as Drew and the UK official secrets act.
    Are you telling us that he is now free to share intelligence with Gardai from his former roles and be free from prosecution under UK law? If so can you please provide backup to support this stance.

Harris attracts the same type of people who attacked Obama about his birth certificate.
    The 'birthers' of Ireland hate him. Social Media is full of vile stuff about this man, most of it orchestrated.

Of course, its all smoke and mirrors. No proof, no evidence, just weird accusations and mud slinging.

On a more serious note, this is the type of UI we can look forward to if SF drives it, one where Unionists or 'Prods' are not to be trusted and will be left outside the door when it comes to positions of authority and responsibility.

:D:D:D:D

Is that the best you can do?

The only objection to Harris getting the job is on the basis of his past in a disgraced police force and his involvement in the cover up of the deaths of 120 people in a small geographical area and the Dublin Monaghan bombings.

It is you and blanch who are attempting to sectarianise that objection, nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The fact that the highest ranking garda position in the Republic of Ireland had to be farmed out is a disgracecful indictment of our garda service in itself.
    Given the history and politics on this island the fact that a high ranking officer from the PSNI and former RUC got the job is also seriously flawed thinking imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seems to me the only "racist, xenophobic and sectarianism" on display on these threads were from those bemoaning "the need for any new trade Commissioner to be Irish".

As redgirl earlier attested to, isn't it "the ability to do the job" all that matters?

Harris being completely unsuitable for the role he was given has absolutely and completely nothing to do with the passport he holds, his religion, or the colour of his skin.

It's due to this past and his role in closing down an inquiry into the deaths of 120+ completely innocent fellow Irish men and women.

The xenophobic and racist insinuations are just more of the usual cheap and nasty attempts at shutting down uncomfortable conversation from the usual cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Let’s judge the lad on his achievements rather than his past record.

As far as I know he has no convictions for anything which would preclude his appointment.

The shame is that none of the current crop of inhouse potentials were deemed competent for the job.

And given the past recent history of inhouse holders of the position that is not one bit surprising.

So......enough of the empty waffle, the reasons and as plain as can be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

As far as I know he has no convictions for anything which would preclude his appointment.

The shame is that none of the current crop of inhouse potentials were deemed competent for the job.

And given the past recent history of inhouse holders of the position that is not one bit surprising.

This highlights the problem with having An Garda responsible for both ordinary policing and national security. A problem apparent in other contexts like the dead-letter statutory prohibition on Gardai organising strikes.

On the one hand Harris is a much needed new broom in AGS, and so far seems impressive.

On the other hand Harris has a lifetime of allegiance to a foreign power and association with some very questionable stuff, which makes it imprudent to have him at the top table of this country's national security.

On balance I'm in favour of the man, given the severe problems with AGS, but it would be reassuring to know that the national security issues were even being considered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Can the same be said for Mary Lou and Sinn Feins current achievments, Sinn Fein now is more popular than FG, a terrific general election and getting stronger in all opinion pools, and have the youth well and truely on board.

We will have no more but but the IRA as lets judge on achievements rather than past records of the party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The people of Ireland have clearly stopped listening to the government and NPHET. I truly believe that the Clifden dinner had a major influence on that. I don't think I have ever seen the population so angry as it was after that event and Hogan's magical mystery your. The other factor is the chaotic communications coming from FF ministers for the most part. How can the government can get back hearts and minds? How can they restore confidence? Is it too late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Can the same be said for Mary Lou and Sinn Feins current achievments, Sinn Fein now is more popular than FG, a terrific general election and getting stronger in all opinion pools, and have the youth well and truely on board.

We will have no more but but the IRA as lets judge on achievements rather than past records of the party?

If SF want to forget about the PIRA then why are they shouting about "Up da Ra" and going to enmass to a funeral up the North for some scumbag who murdered people?

What about the "politcian" in SF who went around saying a young lad who was killed was a criminal to cover up for the PIRA?

If SF actually broke ties with PIRA then you could say all is forgotten, but they clearly haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

34-21, Dublin City Council votes to cut property tax again. This disproportionately favours wealthy property owners and means the council lose out on lots of money, so our services will be poorer.
    The Greens and Labour are the only ones who voted against it. Completely idiotic.

Redgirl82 wrote: »

What about the "politcian" in SF who went around saying a young lad who was killed was a criminal to cover up for the PIRA?

Bertie Ahern was in Fianna Fail was he not? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

34-21, Dublin City Council votes to cut property tax again. This disproportionately favours wealthy property owners and means the council lose out on lots of money, so our services will be poorer.
    The Greens and Labour are the only ones who voted against it. Completely idiotic.

What about the SDs? Have you a link to the vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Seems to me the only "racist, xenophobic and sectarianism" on display on these threads were from those bemoaning "the need for any new trade Commissioner to be Irish".

As redgirl earlier attested to, isn't it "the ability to do the job" all that matters?

Harris being completely unsuitable for the role he was given has absolutely and completely nothing to do with the passport he holds, his religion, or the colour of his skin.

It's due to this past and his role in closing down an inquiry into the deaths of 120+ completely innocent fellow Irish men and women.

The xenophobic and racist insinuations are just more of the usual cheap and nasty attempts at shutting down uncomfortable conversation from the usual cohort.

I think you should look in the mirror, complaining about shutting down uncomfortable conversations when at the same time you are trying to shut down people who are pointing to the undertones of racism, sectarianism and xenophobia in many of the comments about Harris.

As hypocritical a post as I have seen on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What about the SDs? Have you a link to the vote?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0921/1166619-local-property-tax/

Ridiculous. The city is a f*cking kip as is, and they vote for less funds. I give up.

Woohoo, Sinn Fein have topped the poll with most votes in an election, thanks to that they have achieved...... eh...... well............ something surely?............... nothing at all?............................. eh.................................. ah here, the posters say that have great achievements.................. the reality is they have sat on their arses which is all they are really good for.

I think you should look in the mirror, complaining about shutting down uncomfortable conversations when at the same time you are trying to shut down people who are pointing to the undertones of racism, sectarianism and xenophobia in many of the comments about Harris.

As hypocritical a post as I have seen on these boards.

Nothing hypocritical about it blanch, take up the racist xenophobic accusations with your bedfellows who claimed that Hogan's replacement needed to be Irish, this is by your own definition of what constitutes xenophobia and raicsm.

I couldn't give a shiny shyte if Harris is a Brown Buddhist from Botswana tbh. He's unsuitable to be in his position - but it's got nothing to do with his nationality, religion or skin colour.

Own it.

Woohoo, Sinn Fein have topped the poll with most votes in an election, thanks to that they have achieved...... eh...... well............ something surely?............... nothing at all?............................. eh.................................. ah here, the posters say that have great achievements.................. the reality is they have sat on their arses which is all they are really good for.

Post needs more .............................................

You ok blanch:confused:

:D:

That SF are at the gates has sparked some fierce enjoyable rants around here. I'll say that.

:):):)

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Nothing hypocritical about it blanch, take up the racist xenophobic accusations with your bedfellows who claimed that Hogan's replacement needed to be Irish, this is by your own definition of what constitutes xenophobia and raicsm.

I couldn't give a shiny shyte if Harris is a Brown Buddhist from Botswana tbh. He's unsuitable to be in his position - but it's got nothing to do with his nationality, religion or skin colour.

Own it.

He is a Northern Ireland Protestant, that is why so many of you dislike him. We even had some poster dragging up some American guff about dual citizenship against him, forgetting the provisions of the GFA in that regard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement