Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Yes Francie, I admit I will never be at the level here. Never. I’m overjoyed to say it as well

In case you don’t realise, you have yet to back up anything, so you just called yourself a spoofer. That’s the level here alright

Ok.

What have I not backed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Anyone know why the junior ministers are getting advisors? Is this usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

:D:D:D:D

Is that the best you can do?

The only objection to Harris getting the job is on the basis of his past in a disgraced police force and his involvement in the cover up of the deaths of 120 people in a small geographical area and the Dublin Monaghan bombings.

It is you and blanch who are attempting to sectarianise that objection, nobody else.

Is everyone who previously worked in the RUC automatically suspect now Francie?
    There are many people still in the PSNI who served in the RUC, are they all suspect now?

smurgen wrote: »
    My highlighting of dual citizenship was to show that it's common that other countries exclude people holding dual citizenship for certain positions. .

You appear to be rowing back on your accusations now.

First of all he has an Irish passport and secondly he appears to be very good at his job. Dual citizenship does not preclude someone from a job in Ireland.

You seem to have very short memory as there was a huge clamour to have an outsider as commissioner of the Gardai after scandel embroiled two recent former commissioners.
    Then the government appoint someone from the North and we get the popoulst, sectarian, xenophobic response.

If the guy was Canadian or a Kiwi would you have this much of an issue?
    Should the job not have gone to an outsider?

I thought the government in North had no power? why the do they need 14 advisors?

14 advisors for a glorified county council.
    Hmmm

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Is everyone who previously worked in the RUC automatically suspect now Francie?
    There are many people still in the PSNI who served in the RUC, are they all suspect now?

No Mark, just the ones in senior positions involved in 'unlawfully' shutting down inquiries into collusion and killings by the BA. There is no doubt this man was involved in that as he sat in court to hear the verdict.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

14 advisors for a glorified county council.
    Hmmm

It hurts dosnt it. The Shinners have the people 🇮🇪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

My question is how do the government have the constitutional power to be keeping travel, businesses, entire industries in lockdown and driving them to permanent financial ruin? It's one thing to inact emergency temporary powers to deal with a disaster, but we are more than half a year into this and there is absolutely no plan or coherency or light at the end of the tunel. Are they an elected government that is held accountable for its actions, or an empire that cannot be questioned?

2020 will be remembered for many tragic and horrible things - but honestly the greatest catastrophe is our complete and total surrender of the principles of democracy and accountability.

The astonishing thing is that according to the polls more than half the country still support FG or FF. They are perfectly fine with all this.

No Mark, just the ones in senior positions involved in 'unlawfully' shutting down inquiries into collusion and killings by the BA. There is no doubt this man was involved in that as he sat in court to hear the verdict.

Oh please, is that all you have? Honestly? Scrapping the bottom of the barrel to justify blatent xenophobia.

The_Brood wrote: »
    My question is how do the government have the constitutional power to be keeping travel, businesses, entire industries in lockdown and driving them to permanent financial ruin? It's one thing to inact emergency temporary powers to deal with a disaster, but we are more than half a year into this and there is absolutely no plan or coherency or light at the end of the tunel. Are they an elected government that is held accountable for its actions, or an empire that cannot be questioned?

2020 will be remembered for many tragic and horrible things - but honestly the greatest catastrophe is our complete and total surrender4 of the principles of democracy and accountability.

The astonishing thing is that according to the polls more than half the country still support FG or FF. They are perfectly fine with all this.

Most young people who never even would have thought of voting will be voting when it's election time, and as polls show they are SF all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Off topic

Back on topic:

- The incumbent government is terrible
    - Fine Gael B.O.Ts are trash and riddled with multi accounts from banned posters who are on the cusp of a psychological meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh please, is that all you have? Honestly? Scrapping the bottom of the barrel to justify blatent xenophobia.

This has been covered on the thread numerous times already, but if you keep bringing it up again, don't be whinging when the flaw in your arguments (no matter how faux they are) get pointed out.

A while ago yourself and your compadre were pointing out that Drew Harris holds an Irish passport (as he's fully entitled to do) and is entitled to "dual Irish citizenship", how can you be xenophobic to a person born on the same island who is as Irish as the rest of us:confused:

I know Leo described the FG branch based in Belfast as their "overseas branch" but I would like to think Leo said that just to give people an impression FG are like "Trotters Independent Trading" with a host of "overseas branches" :D

Unless of course the definition of "xenophobic" has changed over the last few days?

Honestly, I have to ask, do you really believe you're doing yourself or FG (or whatever or who ever it is you think you're arguing in support of) a service here using this type of deliberate misleading language?

There is certainly some "scrapping of a barrel" going on marko, your rosette for king barbell scrapper is in the post to you all the way to Oz.

People have pointed out to yourself and others why placing Harris in the role he got placed in wasn't the brightest thing to do, his race, his religion, his nationality or political persuasion had.nothing to do with it.

Xenophobic and sectarian/racist accusations are not to be made lightly, as they're quite serious accusations against posters, so I would respectfully suggest if you believe someone is being openly xenophobic, racist or sectarian on thread you report it and let the mods deal with it.

I'm personally sick reading about them, not because it's you making the accusations, it's because you are making them knowing full well you're being as genuine as the tooth fairy when doing so.

Oh please, is that all you have?

Is that all? Again the trivialising of the murder of innocent nationalists.
    Honestly? Scrapping the bottom of the barrel to justify blatent xenophobia.

It is my fervent belief that you don't know the meaning of the word and just copied another poster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My question is how do the government have the constitutional power to be keeping travel, businesses, entire industries in lockdown and driving them to permanent financial ruin?
    This is going to be the subject of lawsuits for years to come, especially with the assistance programmes being wound down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Is that all? Again the trivialising of the murder of innocent nationalists.

It is my fervent belief that you don't know the meaning of the word and just copied another poster here.

The complete disregard for the lives, safety and victims of loyalist violence is in itself xenophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who said the Government in the North have no power? Your talking nonsense trying to deflect that Mickey lied in the dail (again)

Mickey said Sinn Fein cant talk about the amount of advisors and their wages, as they get paid more up North.

14 advisors in total up North get paid less than the total amount of "Advisors" in the Republic.

Now you can talk as much ****e, and deflect, deflect deflect. Its a fact he lied but your still defending him.

Good job the general public see right through FF and FG now

Northern Ireland is one-third the size of the South, Stormont has few powers we have been told, that suggests somewhere over 60 advisers in total would be similar for the government down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

smurgen wrote: »
    The complete disregard for the lives, safety and victims of loyalist violence is in itself xenophobic.

Bit of a rear-up in McAleers bar up in the ‘Gannon the other night, I’m told.

Anyone there?

Maybe Cullinane gave them a few bars..........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2020 will be remembered for many tragic and horrible things - but honestly the greatest catastrophe is our complete and total surrender of the principles of democracy and accountability.

It is totalitarianism and High Treason.

McMurphy wrote: »
    This has been covered on the thread numerous times already, but if you keep bringing it up again, don't be whinging when the flaw in your arguments (no matter how faux they are) get pointed out.

A while ago yourself and your compadre were pointing out that Drew Harris holds an Irish passport (as he's fully entitled to do) and is entitled to "dual Irish citizenship", how can you be xenophobic to a person born on the same island who is as Irish as the rest of us:confused:

I know Leo described the FG branch based in Belfast as their "overseas branch" but I would like to think Leo said that just to give people an impression FG are like "Trotters Independent Trading" with a host of "overseas branches" :D

Unless of course the definition of "xenophobic" has changed over the last few days?

Honestly, I have to ask, do you really believe you're doing yourself or FG (or whatever or who ever it is you think you're arguing in support of) a service here using this type of deliberate misleading language?

There is certainly some "scrapping of a barrel" going on marko, your rosette for king barbell scrapper is in the post to you all the way to Oz.

People have pointed out to yourself and others why placing Harris in the role he got placed in wasn't the brightest thing to do, his race, his religion, his nationality or political persuasion had.nothing to do with it.

Xenophobic and sectarian/racist accusations are not to be made lightly, as they're quite serious accusations against posters, so I would respectfully suggest if you believe someone is being openly xenophobic, racist or sectarian on thread you report it and let the mods deal with it.

I'm personally sick reading about them, not because it's you making the accusations, it's because you are making them knowing full well you're being as genuine as the tooth fairy when doing so.

Why did the poster reference his nationality, and extend that to the related concept of dual nationality not being acceptable either?

If it looks like a duck....etc.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why did the poster reference his nationality, and extend that to the related concept of dual nationality not being acceptable either?

Do you think the British or Americans for instance allow dual nationals to serve in senior positions in their security and intelligence services (not even to mention one who worked extremely closely with a foreign intelligence service, and has a chequered record with frustrating controversial investigations into the murder of civilians)?

I'll spare you the effort of firing up Ask Jeeves / Yahoo Search, they don't.

The yard, you may get up it.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Do you think the British or Americans for instance allow dual nationals to serve in senior positions in their security and intelligence services (not even to mention one who worked extremely closely with a foreign intelligence service, and has a chequered record with frustrating controversial investigations into the murder of civilians)?

I'll spare you the effort of firing up Ask Jeeves / Yahoo Search, they don't.

The yard, you may get up it.

Last I heard, many Irishmen went to New York and became policemen, let's have a little look at some history for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brown_(admiral)#:~:text=Founder%20of%20the%20Argentine%20Navy,1%2C200%20streets%20named%20after%20him.&text=William%20Brown%20(also%20known%20in,an%20Irish%2Dborn%20Argentine%20admiral.

Admiral William Brown, an Irishman founded the Argentine Navy, didn't give them much of an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Power#:~:text=Samantha%20Jane%20Power%20(born%20September,Nations%20from%202013%20to%202017.

Samantha Power, born in London, but Irish, made it to the US National Security Council, and later UN Ambassador.

Actually, I'll leave it there just to spare your embarrassment. I won't even go into the number of Irish people who had senior posts in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Last I heard, many Irishmen went to New York and became policemen, let's have a little look at some history for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brown_(admiral)#:~:text=Founder%20of%20the%20Argentine%20Navy,1%2C200%20streets%20named%20after%20him.&text=William%20Brown%20(also%20known%20in,an%20Irish%2Dborn%20Argentine%20admiral.

Admiral William Brown, an Irishman founded the Argentine Navy, didn't give them much of an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Power#:~:text=Samantha%20Jane%20Power%20(born%20September,Nations%20from%202013%20to%202017.

Samantha Power, born in London, but Irish, made it to the US National Security Council, and later UN Ambassador.

Actually, I'll leave it there just to spare your embarrassment. I won't even go into the number of Irish people who had senior posts in the UK.

You really are being disingenuous here and it is something that you seem to do a lot on here in defense of the government.

Tell me has a person been posted to the head of the security agency in the either the UK or US who held a high position in the security services that those countries were in conflict with?

I think you and your colleagues such as Regirl and few others are either employed by the government parties and just trotting out the government line or you are a WUM.

Floppybits wrote: »
    You really are being disingenuous here and it is something that you seem to do a lot on here in defense of the government.

Tell me has a person been posted to the head of the security agency in the either the UK or US who held a high position in the security services that those countries were in conflict with?

I think you and your colleagues such as Regirl and few others are either employed by the government parties and just trotting out the government line or you are a WUM.

We are not in conflict with the UK!! What a silly notion.

Appointment to the National Security Council in the US is about as high as you can go in terms of security clearance and knowledge.

We are not in conflict with the UK!! What a silly notion.

Do you understand the word 'were'?

Instead of inventing stuff why not answer the posters question?

Northern Ireland is one-third the size of the South, Stormont has few powers we have been told, that suggests somewhere over 60 advisers in total would be similar for the government down South.

It's been linked here loads of time what powers the Govt up North have. Have a look because you obvs havnt a clue as you keep asking/making silly statements

Anyway this is not a Sinn Féin thread although it's remarkable a government thread is about Sinn Féin this, Sinn Féin that, when you are one of the ones who dont want Sinn Féin in Govt so why talk about them every day on a Govt thread

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The pay of TDs will rise to close to Celtic Tiger levels next week when a wage hike pushes their earnings above €98,000 a year.

INDEPENDENT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The pay of TDs will rise to close to Celtic Tiger levels next week when a wage hike pushes their earnings above €98,000 a year.

INDEPENDENT

TD's love an auld pay increase especially when times are tough.

Samantha Power ditched her Irish citizenship to take up the aforementioned roles.

A copper on the streets of Queens is not comesurate with the head of the security and intelligence apparatus.

I guarantee you William Browne wasn't wielding British citizenship when heading the Argentine navy.

Are your cheeks blushed reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Afternoon Blanch, I believe you have already been put back in to your box over this absolute nonsense, however.
    Who is my chum?

As for your question, which is designed for whataboutery rather than any real need for an answer.......

Constitutionally, a TD must be an Irish citizen (I would be ok with this being changed but it is the democratically expressed will of the Irish people). Gardai, Defence Forces and civil servants are not allowed become TDs. In my opinion, a Commissioner should ideally have held Ministerial rank in an Irish government (Richard Bruton would have been my choice to replace Hogan), so I would have an express preference therefore that our Commissioner be Irish because of the legalities of being a TD.

That does not translate into the kind of xenophobia being displayed on here in respect of Drew Harris as it arises from a purely technical issue. Incidentally, while a TD must be Irish, a garda Commissioner has no such constitutional restriction.

I meant to come back to this one yesterday but got distracted in my job.

Nice try blanch - but when I was posting about "Hogan's replacement needing to be Irish" I sure as hell wasn't referring to who our govt nominated to replace Hogan..

They (the people stating that the new trade Commissioner should be Irish) were obviously referring to the role he resigned from. I.E trade Commissioner.

So with that in mind, do you think people who were suggesting the Hogan's replacement as Trade Commissioner "needing to be Irish" was xenophobic?

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Back on topic:

- The incumbent government is terrible
    - Fine Gael B.O.Ts are trash and riddled with multi accounts from banned posters who are on the cusp of a psychological meltdown

Brilliant. Love your sense of humour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement