Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems here is the casual throwing around of false narratives and claims and portraying them as facts.

I don't mind differing opinions, but when people try to twist facts or other people's words into other meanings, it should be rebutted.

Coming from the guy who yet again told blatant lies about me here that is quite an un self aware post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Eh, look at the post again

"They can't seem to make any decisions", the central point of the post, is an opinion. The use of the word "seem" makes that clear.

If I had the time I could go through the last six months and point to several times where the SF/DUP government took decisions following on from the FG decisions a week later. That is factually accurate.

I think you will find, many things were done in the 6 before they were done here, and many things were done here than in the 6 counties. Its how the world works dude. SF as you know wanted an All Island approach, The DUP didnt so SF's hands were tied on that one.
    Not surprised Arlene didnt want a bit of it, after seening the Govt shindig in Clifden but thats another point.

But somethings struck me about you post, FG decisions?

Are FF and FG and the party you vote for not in a 3 way equal Government?

Are you happy that FG are running things, even though its meant to be equal partnership and you voted Green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Eh, look at the post again

"They can't seem to make any decisions", the central point of the post, is an opinion. The use of the word "seem" makes that clear.

If I had the time I could go through the last six months and point to several times where the SF/DUP government took decisions following on from the FG decisions a week later. That is factually accurate.

Surely thats a failure of coordination and not management
    Dublin decisions cannot be Belfast decisions without London approval because London holds Belfast's purse strings
    That means Belfast needs to be appraised ahead of time as to what Dublin is doing so it can jig the financial costs around a bit and clear things with London
    Thats not always happening, we know that
    Ironically the lack of the GB pub curfew in the North is following the south and probably will lead to bigger virus numbers up north than otherwise given its house visit ban
    Dublin can actually be blamed for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The Irish people have no claim on Northern Ireland.

We abandoned the claim when we amended Articles 2 and 3.
    Truthvader wrote: »
    No wrong again.

Outside of the mad mad world of Sinn Fein, democracies operate on the will/ vote of the people. Beneath that there are a complex web of laws, rules regulations etc. Stray Sinn Fein IRA members or dissidents or flat earthers are not entitled to "lay claim" to whatever they like from time to time or to appoint themselves to murder random people for 30 years

Like Kenny, Coveney and myself, some people want a united Ireland. Thats not a secret. People talking about the occupied territory being part of Ireland is no 'mask slip'.
    'Mask slips' implies a hidden opinion or intent was accidentally revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bowie wrote: »
    Like Kenny, Coveney and myself, some people want a united Ireland. Thats not a secret. People talking about the occupied territory being part of Ireland is no 'mask slip'.

No clue what that kind of stuff is all about.

Cannot make head nor tail about of that post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »

There is no occupied territory on this island, that is a fact.

You can view it as occupied if you wish.
    The GFA only requires that the wishes of the majority are respected. They are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Donegal is at Level 3 with a sprinkling of Level 5 for the wet pubs.

So Level 3.WP5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Because someone believes occupied Ulster is rightfully part of the island of Ireland, might not be the current political stance but its not a 'mask slips' type scenario bull shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Well it seems like that Unquiet Graves documentary on the Gleananne Gang is making an impression.

https://twitter.com/RepKevinBoyle/status/1308984006353051655?s=19

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Pumping out the auld propaganda Smurf, Dave would be proud of ya.

Pumping out the auld propaganda Smurf, Dave would be proud of ya.

Just good to document what's happening. God bless social media for tracking the absolute hypocrisy of FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You should take a day off, dude. This stuff is eating you up inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

in fairness a lad manning the pickets and then voting against them is pretty reprehensible behaviour no matter what way you slice it

and I'd be more anti than pro these debenham folk, ie, take your statutory and stfu

smurgen wrote: »
    Well it seems like that Unquiet Graves documentary on the Gleananne Gang is making an impression.

https://twitter.com/RepKevinBoyle/status/1308984006353051655?s=19

Not really
    Hes an associate of Cáirde Sinn Féin in Philadelephia and currently just the equivalent of a county Councillor over there
    He is not a U S congressman but he's running in a tight constituency so has a chance to get in
    Being a friend of Sinn Féin in the states he was probably prompted to make that tweet
    I don't think I agree with this line anyway
    Time to move on like has been allowed to have been done with all other things north down south
    Otherwise you're going to be forever and ever amen listening to the same people here hitting you with IRA stuff

I *just can't understand* the logic in these threads and its the same 3 or 4 of you nibbling each other the whole time
    Its boring
    Noone wants to know anymore
    Better to talk about bread and butter issues

Nobotty wrote: »
    Not really
    Hes an associate of Cáirde Sinn Féin in Philadelephia and currently just the equivalent of a county Councillor over there
    He is not a U S congressman but he's running in a tight constituency so has a chance to get in
    Being a friend of Sinn Féin in the states he was probably prompted to make that tweet
    Time to move on like has been allowed to have been done with all other things north down south
    Otherwise you're going to be forever and ever amen listening to the same people here hitting you with IRA stuff

I *just can't understand* the logic in these threads and its the same 3 or 4 of you nibbling each other the whole time
    Its boring

You can't just ignore victims because you are bored.
    I agree that we are going to be forever dealing with this stuff...but it is incumbent again on those with the power and the responsibility to get a truth recovery process going.

Or make some real efforts to deal with the past. That cannot be led by anyone else but the two governments and it is mandated in the GFA and ancillary agreements that it be dealt with. If they want to do what they did after our own conflict/wars - lock away the details of what was done until the players are dead - then propose that and get on with it.

Let's face it, FF and FG have never stood up to the British and asked or pressured them to take responsibility. The British won't engage voluntarily because they were a player in the conflict/war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Not really

Its boring

Covid is dominating currently, even brexit has a back seat at this stage.
    Budget is looming too and it's barely making the headlines.
    Health spending is bound to dominate that as well as covid related payments.
    A very difficult budget to frame, but nobody should expect a budget that will put money in any pockets or houses being built by the thousands.
    I expect a budget that the Opposition can have a, field day with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I expect a budget that the Opposition can have a, field day with.

At this time there shouldn't really be an opposition, there should be a national government to deal with the current situation with all parties pulling the same direction. This budget is going to be a tough one but it needs to fair, the problem is that a lot of the government decisions don't seem to be fair, a lot of decisions they make especially budget ones seem to impact on the lower/middle class a lot more than the richer classes and that gives the impression that the government don't really give a ****e about the lower/middle class and are there just to keep their rich buddies happy, FG especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Floppybits wrote: »
    At this time there shouldn't really be an opposition, there should be a national government to deal with the current situation with all parties pulling the same direction. This budget is going to be a tough one but it needs to fair, the problem is that a lot of the government decisions don't seem to be fair, a lot of decisions they make especially budget ones seem to impact on the lower/middle class a lot more than the richer classes and that gives the impression that the government don't really give a ****e about the lower/middle class and are there just to keep their rich buddies happy, FG especially.

How anybody thinks a govt of national unity would work is beyond me. :)

• Advertisement

I agree that we are going to be forever dealing with this stuff...but it is incumbent again on those with the power and the responsibility.

Francie,

I have to agree with you on this aspect of your post.

However, it is Sinn Fein who is holding up the compensation scheme for victims in the North. They have the power and responsibility to do something for victims, but as always, they are found wanting.

I agree that we are going to be forever dealing with this stuff...but it is incumbent again on those with the power and the responsibility to get a truth recovery process going.

Or make some real efforts to deal with the past. That cannot be led by anyone else but the two governments and it is mandated in the GFA and ancillary agreements that it be dealt with. If they want to do what they did after our own conflict/wars - lock away the details of what was done until the players are dead - then propose that and get on with it.

Let's face it, FF and FG have never stood up to the British and asked or pressured them to take responsibility. The British won't engage voluntarily because they were a player in the conflict/war.

Oh don't get me wrong,but damn it there's heaps of stuff there to talk about on its own without it all being mixed up inside in a thread about the government
    Its tiny in the publics mind
    The way that should be discussed is in a committee in Leister House and in Dail questions to the justice minister
    That makes it news and flags it for the public
    I'm not bored with that topic but jesus the tooing and froing is bad enough here without mixing all that in
    Its that that's boring
    It clouds bread and butter

Yesterday for example ,there was s nurse on today Claire byrne who said there were loads like her who have been moved from Billy to Jack on temp contracts in nursing homes only with no guarantee of hours after having came home from Australia to help out
    She left a secure well paid job
    Yet loads of GUFF yesterday about not being able to get enough nurses
    You could not make this up

I see little or none of that talked about here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How anybody thinks a govt of national unity would work is beyond me. :)

Why is that? Did not the whole of the Dail on all sides come together for Brexit and how to deal with it?

For me real leadership would have been seeing either Martin or Varadkar pull all the party leaders in and explain the situation and what steps are going to the taken to resolve it and get some input from them or at least an agreement that they will support them and if they don't then grand just come out and say that but instead we have this government making decisions and everyone is pulling in different directions and that also includes the parties in government. The dogs on the street know that FG are setting up FF so that they can try hoover up the votes for the next election.

This shouldn't be happening at this time, we as a country should be one tackling this together by doing your bit but that is not going to happen when you see what is going on with the people who are making the decisions.

Oh don't get me wrong,but damn it there's heaps of stuff there to talk about on its own without it all being mixed up inside in a thread about the government
    Its tiny in the publics mind
    The way that should be discussed is in a committee in Leister House and in Dail questions to the justice minister
    That makes it news and flags it for the public
    I'm not bored with that topic but jesus the tooing and froing is bad enough here without mixing all that in
    Its that that's boring
    It clouds bread and butter

Yesterday for example ,there was s nurse on today Claire byrne who said there were loads like her who have been moved from Billy to Jack on temp contracts in nursing homes only with no guarantee of hours after having came home from Australia to help out
    She left a secure well paid job
    Yet loads of GUFF yesterday about not being able to get enough nurses
    You could not make this up

I see little or none of that talked about here :confused:

No argument from me on that.

Already you can see the attempt being made to talk about something else (Victim compensation) when I mention a Truth Recovery Process because it is a way to divert to SF.

The two governments are responsible for legacy and truth issues under the GFA and ancillary agreements, nobody else.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Why is that? Did not the whole of the Dail on all sides come together for Brexit and how to deal with it?

For me real leadership would have been seeing either Martin or Varadkar pull all the party leaders in and explain the situation and what steps are going to the taken to resolve it and get some input from them or at least an agreement that they will support them and if they don't then grand just come out and say that but instead we have this government making decisions and everyone is pulling in different directions and that also includes the parties in government. The dogs on the street know that FG are setting up FF so that they can try hoover up the votes for the next election.

This shouldn't be happening at this time, we as a country should be one tackling this together by doing your bit but that is not going to happen when you see what is going on with the people who are making the decisions.

You can't have Sinn Fein in government while they are still supporting the killers of Gardai among other things. That means a government of national unity is not possible.

We have the next best thing.

You can't have Sinn Fein in government while they are still supporting the killers of Gardai among other things. That means a government of national unity is not possible.

We have the next best thing.

What is it you want them to do with those who killed Garda McCabe and will your 'solution' apply to all the players in the conflict or just SF?

What is it you want them to do with those who killed Garda McCabe and will your 'solution' apply to all the players in the conflict or just SF?

Whatever validity your spurious and nonsense claims about a "war" against the UK, there was no excuse for killing Gardai in the South, and the IRA, supported by Sinn Fein, killed too many of them, not to mention Stack as well.

There has never been a proper apology and recompense for the victims of the IRA in the South, and Sinn Fein could make a start by giving a full fulsome apology with no weasel words and also compensate the families as part of that. It's not like they don't have the money.

Whatever validity your spurious and nonsense claims about a "war" against the UK, there was no excuse for killing Gardai in the South, and the IRA, supported by Sinn Fein, killed too many of them, not to mention Stack as well.

There has never been a proper apology and recompense for the victims of the IRA in the South, and Sinn Fein could make a start by giving a full fulsome apology with no weasel words and also compensate the families as part of that. It's not like they don't have the money.

What is a 'proper apology'?

Those guilty served their sentence and as far as I know apologies have been made.

NOBODY who was a victim of the conflict/war has been properly compensated.

As I said to christy c, it's not over until the iFat Lady sings.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1309430491657973760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As I said to christy c, it's not over until the iFat Lady sings.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1309430491657973760

Heard Pat Kenny grilling Paschal over that breaking news this morning, I thought this was always in the pipeline anyway tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement