Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

FF ministers not really having much luck.

Looks like they are upgrading the fee paying schools marks.

Is it too late given that lectures have begun?

Looks like the profs in UCD and Trinity looked around at the first years and thought what are all these bogggers doing here and where are our sort of people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It appears the scoring mechanism used to estimate grades was unduly generous on schools in disadvantaged areas, and unduly harsh on grind and private schools.

Will need to be rectified for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

CAO offers etc and people in their respective courses already right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So we are at a stage where if anyone has issues with Covid rates getting high in the 26 counties, the response will be look at the North.
    Nobotty wrote: »
    That's where the tit for tat has gone yes
    The north has a problem the south hasn't and thats unionists in government
    Maybe fine Gael lads like Blanch could start by not posting about the north for a month and see if the tit for tat stops,
    I'd be impressed

For a start, I am not a Fine Gael lad. I would admit to a visceral hatred for Sinn Fein for many reasons, but the Shinners can't accept that a normal person would detest their party so have labelled me as a Fine Gael lad. I haven't given Fine Gael a first preference for decades.

The issue raised here is that Sinn Fein are repeatedly critical of everything the Government down here does in respect of Covid-19, when at the the same time, up north, they are either doing less or copying the restrictions from down here. The purpose of the comparison is to lay bare the extent of the nauseating hypocrisy from Sinn Fein. The only comment I would make on the current Government's handling of Covid-19 is that they are less bad than Sinn Fein. For example, I haven't challenged any criticism made by Labour because there is nothing to compare them to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I feel very sorry to any kids/families affected by this.

They have just completley ****ed with young peoples heads.

That 50% poll recently in the under 30s for Sinn Fein is about to get a whole lot higher

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    CAO offers etc and people in their respective courses already right?

Yes, however, I expect there will be an announcement tomorrow or the next day about extra places.

Bad decision from Martin to put an inexperienced Minister in charge of education, especially one that would take the teacher view of things.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, however, I expect there will be an announcement tomorrow or the next day about extra places.

Bad decision from Martin to put an inexperienced Minister in charge of education, especially one that would take the teacher view of things.

The sly FF and Norma Foley will hold a press conference in her department at 4PM, and wont be speaking to the Dail about the Leaving Cert error issue.

For a start, I am not a Fine Gael lad. I would admit to a visceral hatred for Sinn Fein for many reasons, but the Shinners can't accept that a normal person would detest their party so have labelled me as a Fine Gael lad. I haven't given Fine Gael a first preference for decades.

The issue raised here is that Sinn Fein are repeatedly critical of everything the Government down here does in respect of Covid-19, when at the the same time, up north, they are either doing less or copying the restrictions from down here. The purpose of the comparison is to lay bare the extent of the nauseating hypocrisy from Sinn Fein. The only comment I would make on the current Government's handling of Covid-19 is that they are less bad than Sinn Fein. For example, I haven't challenged any criticism made by Labour because there is nothing to compare them to.

I stopped reading at the part in bold, as its not true and has been shown many times in previous pages its untrue.

The restictions in the 6 counties are alot more than the majority of countys in the 26 currently.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-regulations-guidance-what-restrictions-mean-you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Hopefully extra courses are put in place. The year out can cause animosity. Had a friend who suffered the same faith in a normal year. Grade was marked upward due to an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I stopped reading at the part in bold, as its not true and has been shown many times in previous pages its untrue.

The restictions in the 6 counties are alot more than the majority of countys in the 26 currently.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-regulations-guidance-what-restrictions-mean-you
    Agreed they are
    But they are UK laws
    I don't think we've passed one prohibiting any inside the home visitor's

I would not expect any government ministers to have the indepth experience enough to be involved in the nitty gritty of calculated algorithms
    Thats a civil servants job and if they can't do it properly, then we're all fooked
    So a big row to be fixed by tomorrow with more college places offered
    End of row
    Very stressful on students but hopefully good news and a win for them who were in despair a few points short of what they wanted

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    Hopefully extra courses are put in place. The year out can cause animosity. Had a friend who suffered the same faith in a normal year. Grade was marked upward due to an error.

It will be very difficult to put extra courses in place.

Over 3,000 extra places have been added to the system already. Capacity in universities is limited, especially in practical courses. While you can deliver lectures online, workshops and practicals are already affected by social distancing, PPE and cleaning. Scheduling extra ones will be very difficult.

Furthermore, places in dentistry, medicine, nursing etc. require work placements. The HSE will need to step up and provide these. They may not want inexperienced first-year students running around their feet while they deal with Covid.

All in all, this is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The decision to have her as Minister was a 'Cabinet' one.

Your pin the blame on Martin 'subtly' is that of a sledgehammer. :)

The decision to have her as Minister was a 'Cabinet' one.

Your pin the blame on Martin 'subtly' is that of a sledgehammer. :)

Get up the yard, you telling me that Leo decided who Martin picked as his Ministers or vice versa. You're having a laugh.

Agreed they are
    But they are UK laws
    I don't think we've passed one prohibiting any inside the home visitor's

I would not expect any government ministers to have the indepth experience enough to be involved in the nitty gritty of calculated algorithms
    Thats a civil servants job and if they can't do it properly, then we're all fooked
    So a big row to be fixed by tomorrow with more college places offered
    End of row
    Very stressful on students but hopefully good news and a win for them who were in despair a few points short of what they wanted

That won't be the end of the Row. The Govt knew about this 1 week ago and waited a week to inform kids who's lives have been upended. Thats not good enough, Minister must go

Get up the yard, you telling me that Leo decided who Martin picked as his Ministers or vice versa. You're having a laugh.

Cabinet approved the appointment. You cannot pick and choose what this government is responsible for.
    She is a 'government minister'. The government comprises of FF/FG/and the Greens.

Up that yard yourself.

Cabinet approved the appointment. You cannot pick and choose what this government is responsible for.
    She is a 'government minister'. The government comprises of FF/FG/and the Greens.

Up that yard yourself.

So did Michael D Higgins approve the appointment, is it all his fault as well?

You need to learn the difference between pro-forma decisions and real ones.

For example, in Sinn Fein the pro-forma decisions are made by Mary-Lou and Michelle, the real ones are made by the boys in Belfast.

I feel very sorry to any kids/families affected by this.

They have just completley ****ed with young peoples heads.

If this is the worst thing that young people have to go through in life, they’ll be getting away very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

It’s very clear that FF couldn’t run a bath at this stage. A nightmare and embarrassment to watch unfolding. To be fair though the alternative in SF is equally unappealing, so we’ll have to suffer incompetence for a long time yet, heaven help us.

screamer wrote: »
    It’s very clear that FF couldn’t run a bath at this stage. A nightmare and embarrassment to watch unfolding. To be fair though the alternative in SF is equally unappealing, so we’ll have to suffer incompetence for a long time yet, heaven help us.

Thank God for BoJo. He’s forefront in European minds.

That won't be the end of the Row. The Govt knew about this 1 week ago and waited a week to inform kids who's lives have been upended. Thats not good enough, Minister must go

I missed that part
    No mention of it here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0930/1168450-leaving-cert/

I'm not going to condemn anyone especially if they've got external auditors in and disappointed people get placed

• Advertisement

For example, in Sinn Fein the pro-forma decisions are made by Mary-Lou and Michelle, the real ones are made by the boys in Belfast.

'Not a Fine Gael lad' is making the case that a government mess is not the responsibilty of the government but FF's. :):):)

This is not FF fault

This is FF, FG and The Greens fault

Belfast had nothing to do with another ****show by the FF/FG/Greens fiasco with the leaving results.

Why bring Belfast into everything, I'd much prefer Derry as a city myself

This is not FF fault

This is FF, FG and The Greens fault

For this I don't agree
    Ministers are not coding experts
    Press conference-looks like some grades too high but will stand
    Looks like those down graded are being allowed to go onto a course they thought they couldn't but can now

If I was them for the year that's in it,I'd defer the course and start it next year and avoid the pandemic

I missed that part
    No mention of it here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0930/1168450-leaving-cert/

I'm not going to condemn anyone especially if they've got external auditors in and disappointed people get placed

Well everyone else didnt
    "Providing further details of the issue, the Taoiseach said the department became aware of the issue last week but wanted to investigate the problem before making the issue public. "

For this I don't agree
    Looks like those down graded are being allowed to go onto a course they thought they couldn't but can now

If I was them for the year that's in it,I'd defer the course and start it next year and avoid the pandemic

Where are the places for these extra students, practicals, placements etc???

And how much fixing all this **** show and what will follow, will it cost us taxpayers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

For this I don't agree

They're not engineers, front line workers, bricklayers or carpenters either. Can you tell us what they are responsible for? it's not Covid, not the housing crisis etc.
    What are they for exactly?

For this I don't agree

No. All she said was the department would work with the colleges to see how impacted students might be accommodated. Absolutely nothing confirmed with the colleges even though they have been working on this since the issue was discovered last week.

I would say at this point it looks certain that they will NOT all be accommodated in the courses they should have gotten.

Press-Conference turning into an absolute car crash. Foley looks like she wants to vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Jaysus, what a sh*tshow.
    They've royally f*cked this up.
    The whole system of grade rating is compromised by one line of code.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement