Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nobotty wrote: »
    For this I don't agree
    Ministers are not coding experts
    Press conference-looks like some grades too high but will stand
    Looks like those down graded are being allowed to go onto a course they thought they couldn't but can now

If I was them for the year that's in it,I'd defer the course and start it next year and avoid the pandemic

https://twitter.com/MallowNews/status/1311325339264614405?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

RTE now claiming the statement that says the system used the weakest two subjects from the Junior Cert rather than the highest two subjects for all students. If that's the case the whole thing is ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Senior hurling lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Where are the places for these extra students, practicals, placements etc???

And how much fixing all this **** show and what will follow, will it cost us taxpayers?

Ask the pandemic
    I'm watching the presser and only reporting whats said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Statement from Norma Foley, Minister for Education

"Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again"

• Advertisement

Ask the pandemic
    I'm watching the presser and only reporting whats said

I'm watching too and she said places will be made available where possible. These places won't be possible

Be some court cases coming up

touts wrote: »
    Press-Conference turning into an absolute car crash. Foley looks like she wants to vomit.

I hope they let her on TV tonight, it will be fantastic viewing. I want to see her cry just like the Dept she runs made many students/families cry and agnoise over there next move as they got the wrong results

Bowie wrote: »
    They're not engineers, front line workers, bricklayers or carpenters either. Can you tell us what they are responsible for? it's not Covid, not the housing crisis etc.
    What are they for exactly?

Seriously? Civil servants, then the minister were informed of a coding error but not the impact
    You Seriously expect a t.d to read and understand a code and to be checking it in a neverused before newly invented code?
    Jesus
    This has nothing to do with any of the other things you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Seriously? Civil servants, then the minister were informed of a coding error but not the impact
    You Seriously expect a t.d to read and understand a code and to be checking it in a neverused before newly invented code?
    Jesus

Only 1 line of code in 50,000 sure it will be grand. I wouldn't be surprised if this was caught in testing and someone made the decision to go ahead with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Former Minister for education, Joe McHugh has an awful lot of questions to answer after this catastrophic error that has untold consequences.

FF will take the blame and hit, but FG should be very concerned also with Mr McHugh who performed disgracefully, with his lack of compassion to students and of course was responsible for this now dysfunctional and now discredited calculated points system. Unfortunately though McHugh is no longer a TD or a member of Dail Eireann, so that seemingly rules himself out of any accountability on his part, which is wrong.

Hopefully public anger should be directed towards the former Donegal deputy, absolutely despised the man while as a minister really didn't like his attitude, a bit full of himself IMO.

I agree the whole fiasco casts massive doubt over the legitimacy of LC2020 results. The actual exams themselves begin in November, for those that didn't get the results that they wanted for, to go to college.

Could we see LC2020 results being declared null and void? I really feel exceptionally sorry for the students and God only knows what they are thinking at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Karmic really. Far too hasty cancelling the Leaving altogether.

Any exam setting I have ever been in have practised social distancing well before it became a buzzword. Most of the schools would be unused anyway during the Leaving exams, so just increase the number of rooms being used in the building if required.

Given the "I want" culture we have nowadays, I'm sure they won't be duly affected too much anyway.

I'm watching too and she said places will be made available where possible. These places won't be possible

Be some court cases coming up

probably, its not a resigning issue for her though
    This is a never travelled before road
    To be fair she and the 2 department officials are answering all the questions asked
    I'm getting a vibe that they're thinking some affected will want to stay in the course they accepted and the number involved will be reduced by those affected already having got their 1st cao preference

It'll be another few days before they know because the cao system has to get the new results
    As a crisis there doesn't seem to be any effort to fudge anything going on the presser
    I'm very impressed with the detail the 2 civil servants are going into to be honest
    Its fascinating me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Karmic really. Far too hasty cancelling the Leaving altogether.

Any exam setting I have ever been in have practised social distancing well before it became a buzzword. Most of the schools would be unused anyway during the Leaving exams, so just increase the number of rooms being used in the building if required.

Given the "I want" culture we have nowadays, I'm sure they won't be duly affected too much anyway.

I couldn't understand why the LC exams were cancelled, there were plenty of places that could have hosted the exams and observed social distancing. This all stems back to the lack of action that the each government department took when the lock down was implemented in March. It seems that when the lockdown was announced a lot of the public services put their feet up instead of looking at introducing the guidelines that would need to implemented for opening up. Just look at the mess with the masks, that should have been the first thing that mandatory for indoors and public transport, if that hadve happened they could have opened schools for LC students only and had the exams.

I know the buck stops with the Minister but really this is a systemic failure from top to bottom of the public services. I do feel for the Minister here, she inherited a mess.

New Era wrote: »
    Former Minister for education, Joe McHugh has an awful lot of questions to answer after this catastrophic error that has untold consequences.

FF will take the blame and hit, but FG should be very concerned also with Mr McHugh who performed disgracefully, with his lack of compassion to students and of course was responsible for this now dysfunctional and now discredited calculated points system. Unfortunately though McHugh is no longer a TD or a member of Dail Eireann, so that seemingly rules himself out of any accountability on his part, which is wrong.

Hopefully public anger should be directed towards the former Donegal deputy, absolutely despised the man while as a minister really didn't like his attitude, a bit full of himself IMO.

I agree the whole fiasco casts massive doubt over the legitimacy of LC2020 results. The actual exams themselves begin in November, for those that didn't get the results that they wanted for, to go to college.

Could we see LC2020 results being declared null and void? I really feel exceptionally sorry for the students and God only knows what they are thinking at this time.

They will have to do something ASAP (They will prob have an enquiry lasting years), as was asked in the Press Conference What about the students with the CORRECT GRADES who missed out on courses to those whos GRADES WERE BOOSTED?

probably, its not a resigning issue for her though
    This is a never travelled before road
    To be fair she and the 2 department officials are answering all the questions asked
    I'm getting a vibe that they're thinking some affected will want to stay in the course they accepted and the number involved will be reduced by those affected already having got their 1st cao preference

It'll be another few days before they know because the cao system has to get the new results
    As a crisis there doesn't seem to be any effort to fudge anything going on the presser
    I'm very impressed with the detail the 2 civil servants are going into to be honest
    Its fascinating me

Thats the last thing, I think anyone is about whats come out in the last few hours.

Impressed, a bunch of ****ing cowboys

They will have to do something ASAP (They will prob have an enquiry lasting years), as was asked in the Press Conference What about the students with the CORRECT GRADES who missed out on courses to those whos GRADES WERE BOOSTED?

They answered that by saying anyone who gets a new eligible points total gets a place
    Those already there even with points they shouldn't have had stay in their course
    The problem then becomes the colleges
    Its going to cost them as the government will have to give the colleges extra funding

They answered that by saying anyone who gets a new eligible points total gets a place
    Those already there even with points they shouldn't have had stay in their course
    The problem then becomes the colleges
    Its going to cost them as the government will have to give the colleges extra funding

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1311335366348222467?s=19

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1311336246917111809?s=19

Bare in mind they knew this a week ago and had 'planned the press conference' for 4pm anyway before Alan Kelly spoke.

Arre you still impressed?

Nobotty 54 posts and all defending the Govt haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Look at the name Nobotty and if that doesn't ring a bell, then I don't know what will.

On a separate note what chances now of a snap general election this year? Will we govt cohesiveness on this issue because if not, we could be heading back to the polls again this year!

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1311335366348222467?s=19

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1311336246917111809?s=19

Bare in mind they knew this a week ago and had 'planned the press conference' for 4pm anyway before Alan Kelly spoke.

Arre you still impressed?

They knew the code error was there a week ago but not its effect
    A week ago an unknown affect might have turned out to be immaterial
    It does take several days for that to be audited,they actually went into detail on that and yes I am impressed with the response
    I'm not praising the situation
    We are where we are this year on this pandemic and playing politics with this part of it would be stupid given how complicated this all is
    Under the circumstances, it was remarkable that we got as far as we did with the leaving given the college start deadlines
    This coding error would have happened under any minister

I do agree with the other poster that said the leaving cert could have went ahead in wide open empty buildings but there would have been plenty rows and objections

• Advertisement

you won't find me defending the government, I was asked earlier today to wade in
    You have no answers for me
    I don't know how many posts I have but apart from this leaving cert thing I know I'm anything other than a government defender
    I've no time for tit for unnessary tat

you won't find me defending the government, I was asked earlier today to wade in
    You have no answers for me
    I don't know how many posts I have but apart from this leaving cert thing I know I'm anything other than a government defender
    I've no time for tit for unnessary tat

The Minister and Govt knew about it last week, were trying to come up with a plan and a way to explain it without looking like gob****es again.
    Alan Kelly obvs got wind of this, it all came out and they had a press conference with no answers.

No numbers of students affected, why wasn't CEO 2nd round offers stopped when they knew about this, what happens people who got the correct results but lost out to people who got inflated results? What happens people who settled on second choice but now can get their first choice?

The Minister and Govt knew about it last week, were trying to come up with a plan and a way to explain it without looking like gob****es again.
    Alan Kelly obvs got wind of this, it all came out and they had a press conference with no answers.

No numbers of students affected, why wasn't CEO 2nd round offers stopped when they knew about this, what happens people who got the correct results but lost out to people who got inflated results? What happens people who settled on second choice but now can get their first choice?

That last bit,the CAO has just announced they can accept the new offer and defer if they want
    Id defer rather than have a year of college experience like students are now
    The first bit we won't know for a few days
    The 2nd round going out looks like the CAO weren't informed but they're only delaying the 3rd round tomorrow by a few hours so it looks like the CAO are confident that they will have no implications other than give new people some good news
    I'm answering questions like a guidance counsellor

Continuing bad news on the c19 numbers
    I'm moving on to that now

Oh it's coning out now that Martin never told Leo or Ryan about it until yesterday haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jesus

Do you suggest Pascal, Harris et al studied construction before having responsibility for the NCH over run?
    Your reasoning is silly.

FYI: The minister for education is responsible for overseeing educational matters.

Bowie wrote: »
    Do you suggest Pascal, Harris et al studied construction before having responsibility for the NCH over run?
    Your reasoning is silly.

FYI: The minister for education is responsible for overseeing educational matters.
    Its your reasoning thats silly
    No minister gets to drill into software,they hire experts to do that
    The experts wrote a programme that did something never tried before and there's been a glitch
    If pearse Doherty was in charge, the exact same thing would have happened
    The hands up with the fix is very helpful IMO
    The first part of your post has nothing to do with this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No sign of Brendy, johnnyflash etc. These lads only roll out to spin old wives tales of 50 years ago. Predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

smurgen wrote: »
    No sign of Brendy, johnnyflash etc. These lads only roll out to spin old wives tales of 50 years ago. Predictable.

His/their shift seems to be outside of 5pm-9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So seems like they knew of the issue before the CAO process was finished? Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Its your reasoning thats silly
    No minister gets to drill into software,they hire experts to do that
    The experts wrote a programme that did something never tried before and there's been a glitch
    If pearse Doherty was in charge, the exact same thing would have happened
    The hands up with the fix is very helpful IMO
    The first part of your post has nothing to do with this

I suppose there is some merit in that while you blamed somebody else you didn't blame the Shinners for this one. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement