Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, David Cullinane found it very confusing, a man of little brain as Pooh might say, I am sure he is worried about how he is going to explain to Michelle what she should do next.

Do you think it's wise for the government to ignore NPHET advice and go it's own way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bowie wrote: »
    Do you think it's wise for the government to ignore NPHET advice and go it's own way?

The govt can't win on this one, but personally I think they are trying their best.
    I think level five again would do irreparable damage to our country.
    Level three seems sensible, but enforcement must be stepped up.

The govt can't win on this one, but personally I think they are trying their best.

They can follow the advice of professionals during a pandemic. I'd respect that.
    Of course people will be disappointed but we're talking public health here.
    They seem to be cherry picking what advice suits them.

Nobotty wrote: »
    Thinking out loud here but if its going to cost another 20 billion in pups and wage subsidies and lost taxes to go to level 5,would it not make more sense to completely take over the private hospitals again and spend a billion or two quadrupling icu bed spaces?
    Joined up thinking like,is that not too much to ask?
    Isolate the nursing homes from the virus by making them live in for staff for 6 months and give them everything they need
    Surely a lot cheaper than a prolonged level 5
    It would way more than pay for itself

I see your point.
    Money invested in the health service to cope with higher numbers while keeping the economy going is certainly a, good idea.
    Lockdown with no improvements in the health service where this would or could become a, recurring issue every half year certainly would be a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It's level 3 and a bit.

Why are they going against the 5 steps plan? It was meant to be county by county

• Advertisement

They can follow the advice of professionals during a pandemic. I'd respect that.

I think as this virus goes on the reality of it and how we handle it is evolving.

It's level 3 and a bit.

Why are they going against the 5 steps plan? It was meant to be county by county

I see your point on that.
    Too easy to just slip to the next available place that's not restricted i suppose.

It's like the colour codes from earlier, these stages should be intermingled depending on the areas or services seen to be causing the biggest problem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I deal in facts MrB.

Do you think I am some kind of idiot who would spaff out opinion on hypothetical information.

You see, Mr B, the ‘up the RÁ’ dude down in Waaaherford can say what he likes, those in control have to balance the pros and cons of how events could work out.

I’m afraid Mr B, you must think folk are thickies if you think they will react to that fcukkerry ......:D

This is a fact Brendi. This is how they have rolled out everything they've done. Get the media to break the bad news. So none of them are tainted with it. Leo trips over his dainty wee socks to get the good news out though.

Any comment without having to depend on the Shinners?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If the Government made a different decision then you'd disagree with that as well. It's a Pavlovian response for you.

No harm, but don't think any of your years on here is lead by anything more intellectual than a visceral dislike of authority, the 'establishment', and FG in particular.

:D

This is a fact Brendi. This is how they have rolled out everything they've done. Get the media to break the bad news. So none of them are tainted with it. Leo trips over his dainty wee socks to get the good news out though.

Any comment without having to depend on the Shinners?

Jaziz yea, Leo's socks are important alright.

• Advertisement

Jaziz yea, Leo's socks are important alright.

He seems to think so alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Nobotty wrote: »
    Thinking out loud here but if its going to cost another 20 billion in pups and wage subsidies and lost taxes to go to level 5,would it not make more sense to completely take over the private hospitals again and spend a billion or two quadrupling icu bed spaces?
    Joined up thinking like,is that not too much to ask?
    Isolate the nursing homes from the virus by making them live in for staff for 6 months and give them everything they need
    Surely a lot cheaper than a prolonged level 5
    It would way more than pay for itself

But but but...something something something...Denis O'Brien...Larry Goodman...

The cabinet are considering giving another Bank Holiday on 21st of December according to Gavan Reilly...wtf is that about?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1313182054989869057

I think we should close the border with NI.

The border never has been or can be closed. Pointless waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

And what about the ferry and airports?

McMurphy wrote: »
    And what about the ferry and airports?

Checks to continue and isolation periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Close the border with the north, which would be practically impossible, and morally wrong, but just continue with checks and isolation periods that loads are ignoring/isn't been followed up with anyway.

Don't think you thought this through bish.

There are no checks, a form to fill and then no follow up

Best of luck with that one. I can get to the North in 10 mins by going 15 diff ways I can think off top of my head, I even know of private roads that either end is a diff side of the border. Would farmers only be allowed milk cattle, cut fields, plant fields that are in the South and ignore their land on the other side.
    Y

• Advertisement

If the Government made a different decision then you'd disagree with that as well. It's a Pavlovian response for you.

No harm, but don't think any of your years on here is lead by anything more intellectual than a visceral dislike of authority, the 'establishment', and FG in particular.

:D

Don't judge others by your own habits and lack of standards.

Ah, I can see how someone who bypasses the point or comment being made might draw that convenient false conclusion.

Once again you've avoided the actual discussion to play games.

*smiley face emoji*

McMurphy wrote: »
    Close the border with the north, which would be practically impossible, and morally wrong, but just continue with checks and isolation periods that loads are ignoring/isn't been followed up with anyway.

Don't think you thought this through bish.

I just wanted to get a, feel for what people thought really Mc.
    I couldn't go 2k from home here during lockdown, but a lad from nort of the border could travel with no bother, no pewer to stop them coming across, still isn't.
    If you live in the North and have to travel for work that's different, but get a letter from your employer.
    Seen Newry on TV tonight, packed with Irish shoppers.
    Something needs to be done to stop needless trave across the border as both have different restrictions, that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

about 300 roads to access either side, that's not something I needed to look up, its been chucked out for decades as to how impossible it would be to manage. then, we have the politicism behind it all.

aido79 wrote: »

...rather than address the discussion go with nonsense.
    seeing as you raised it, KPMG charged the FG government 11m to advise them and they went with D' O'Brien. Tax payer money well spent considering it was pretty much an inevitability?

Best of luck with that one. I can get to the North in 10 mins by going 15 diff ways I can think off top of my head, I even know of private roads that either end is a diff side of the border. Would farmers only be allowed milk cattle, cut fields, plant fields that are in the South and ignore their land on the other side.
    Y

Me too within 15 mins. But I wouldn't go now.
    Maybe people would think twice before they did it if it was a restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

about 300 roads to access either side, that's not something I needed to look up, its been chucked out for decades as to how impossible it would be to manage. then, we have the politicism behind it all.

They have over 300 cases per 100k as well up there, dude. Not advocating closing the border as that solves nothing, but they need to move towards lockdown - pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Me too within 15 mins. But I wouldn't go now.
    Maybe people would think twice before they did it if it was a restriction.

there is a restriction, its a border.

what restriction are you suggesting? its already been explained to you how impossible it is to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Those two will be lying low for fear of the virus, old and fat not a good coupling

Those two will be lying low for fear of the virus, old and fat not a good coupling

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement