Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Three strikes and you’re out, pal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

there is a restriction, its a border.

what restriction are you suggesting? its already been explained to you how impossible it is to police.

Every restriction is impossible to police totally.
    They're looking for an all island approach to this, why not restrict border crossings?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have over 300 cases per 100k as well up there, dude. Not advocating closing the border as that solves nothing, but they need to move towards lockdown - pronto.

Maybe, when they were trying to get an all island approach properly established if our government had been more forceful we'd be better off.

Wanting to align with the same policy as South Kennisington because you cannot stomach the idea of teaming up with your natural hinterland should have been called out loudly for what it was.

Three strikes and you’re out, pal.....

I fooked up last night still here B)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Maybe, when they were trying to get an all island approach properly established if our government had been more forceful we'd be better off.

Wanting to align with the same policy as South Kennisington because you cannot stomach the idea of teaming up with your natural hinterland should have been called out loudly for what it was.

It’s not the fault of our Government that NI didn’t force through an all island approach. We don’t run the place. Not our fault the place is a dysfunctional basket case. They need to sort out their own house.

They now need to take immediate and serious actions. Far more than our Level 3, which I believe isn’t going far enough down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I just wanted to get a, feel for what people thought really Mc.
    I couldn't go 2k from home here during lockdown, but a lad from nort of the border could travel with no bother, no pewer to stop them coming across, still isn't.
    If you live in the North and have to travel for work that's different, but get a letter from your employer.
    Seen Newry on TV tonight, packed with Irish shoppers.
    Something needs to be done to stop needless trave across the border as both have different restrictions, that's just my opinion.

Oh I wasn't having a pop bish, just pointing out the impracticalities, and possible legal ramifications trying to do so.

My own ideas would that there should be an island wide approach to things - north and south, but obviously unionists won't want that if it differs to London too much (even though the Scots and Welsh have their own interpretations also)

Also we could look at more thorough enforcement of the laws and regulations that are already in place - I know personally of a couple a few hundred yards from here who are both just home from six weeks in Spain, they're supposed to be restricting their movements now but I've seen them at the shops, at the bookies etc, and almost every night since returning one of their children's cars are outside the house obviously visiting (they live in the larger towns close by)

No point us being a danger to the north and the people up there being a danger to us, with each of the other having the chance to potentially undo all the other hardwork and progress the other has made.

Island wide response is what's needed equal restrictions in both jurisdictions with more rigorous enforcement. That's my suggestion.

Not sure what you're on about there.
    You wanted FG to govern the North?
    So far as I know they have no MPs or assembly members.
    Maybe you should be looking at them!

Not sure what you're on about there.
    You wanted FG to govern the North?
    So far as I know they have no MPs or assembly members.
    Maybe you should be looking at them!

There are mechanisms within the GFA to discuss areas of mutual interest. :rolleyes:

McMurphy wrote: »
    Oh I wasn't having a pop bish, just pointing out the impracticalities, and possible legal ramifications trying to do so.

My own ideas would that there should be an island wide approach to things - north and south, but obviously unionists won't want that if it differs to London too much (even though the Scots and Welsh have their own interpretations also)

Also we could look at more thorough enforcement of the laws and regulations that are already in place - I know personally of a couple a few hundred yards from here who are both just home from six weeks in Spain, they're supposed to be restricting their movements now but I've seen them at the shops, at the bookies etc, and almost every night since returning one of their children's cars are outside the house obviously visiting (they live in the larger towns close by)

No point us being a danger to the north and the people up there being a danger to us, with each of the other having the chance to potentially undo all the other hardwork and progress the other has made.

Island wide response is what's needed equal restrictions in both jurisdictions with more rigorous enforcement. That's my suggestion.

Ah no I wasn't suggesting you were, I just threw the thought out there, its a view held by a few I know that live as close to the border as I do.
    That's a fair post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Cross border traffic could be cut down significantly simply by making stay in your county orders in the North except for essentials and work
    Shoppers from Cork in Newry carparks would be sitting ducks for the fines (along with being stupid)
    Obviously you won't man all roads but you'll man a good share of them
    The rest is just number plate technology
    Thats all you need do
    Enforcement by fine
    The north could collect and prosecute fines on drivers caught going south and vice versa
    A simple pandemic law
    There is nothing political in that

The fact that there's 15 different routes in or out wouldn't matter,its when you are in the town the other side you will be caught
    Thats the important bit because that's where you run the risk of spread

• Advertisement

There are mechanisms within the GFA to discuss areas of mutual interest. :rolleyes:

You know well the DUP don't want it, Britain don't want it either.
    I don't think you can Blame an Irish govt for something they're powerless to implement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I don't think you can Blame an Irish govt for something they're powerless to implement.

And Sinn Féin can do exactly what about it considering the DUP and Britain don't want it?

The DUP and the British have no problem when it is the other way around. The government should call it for what it is, ideology threatening the health of the island.

Mícheál or Leo not going to be attending the press conference.

They really do think they have to answer to nobody, cowards

Mícheál or Leo not going to be attending the press conference.

They really do think they have to answer to nobody, cowards

Answering for stuff everyday of the week bro, unlike some, hiding in the long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That won't stop posters blaming the government.

The government of Northern Ireland needs to start solving its own problems, rather than looking to Dublin and London every five minutes like a little child.

The DUP and the British have no problem when it is the other way around. The government should call it for what it is, ideology threatening the health of the island.

I think the Irish govt would like a full island approach as would SF.
    But that won't make it happen.
    Boris and Arlene are keen to keep the British response as being the British response.
    Some were giving out about the govt response here today but want an all island approach, which one?

Answering for stuff everyday of the week bro, unlike some, hiding in the long grass.

The 2 leaders have basically just completely changed the approach on the way we are going to deal with this virus, go against NPHET

Do you not think the people deserve some reasons from them and not have them sending Simon and Éamonn out to face a grilling

Cowards

blanch152 wrote: »

The government of Northern Ireland needs to start solving its own problems, rather than looking to Dublin and London every five minutes like a little child.

Tbf, they're hamstrung on this.
    Beligerent uniosts are not for turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Finally a decent discussion. @Blanch I don't agree that with the looking back in hindsight at the last lockdown, I think the government at the time wasted it. I would assume that it is standard practice that if there was a shut down in a company or country due to health reasons that all those in responsibile positions such as health, education, business and other experts would have come together to discuss and plan what needed to be done to restart safely starting with schools and childcare because without those back people can't get back to work.

On the issue of the North I think one way around it is to give DUP an out and play to their ego. Meet with government of the North and come to an agreement that both parts will have one response but allow the North to make their restrictions first and then we follow down here. This will give the impression that DUP are ahead of everyone and we are just following. But one thing we do need and that is an all Ireland approach and if it means swallowing some pride then do it.

• Advertisement

The 2 leaders have basically just completely changed the approach on the way we are going to deal with this virus, go against NPHET

Do you not think the people deserve some reasons from them and not have them sending Simon and Éamonn out to face a grilling

Cowards

Simon and Eamon will tell us, bro.

Calm down a bit dude, wipe the froth off your chin.

I think the Irish govt would like a full island approach as would SF.
    But that won't make it happen.
    Boris and Arlene are keen to keep the British response as being the British response.
    Some were giving out about the govt response here today but want an all island approach, which one?

What? I gave out about the pointless day of worry and stress because it never dawned on anybody for the cabinet and NPHET to work in tandem and come out with clear unambiguous messages together.

Simon and Eamon will tell us, bro.

Calm down a bit dude, wipe the froth off your chin.

I don't have a borther man

As I previously said our 2 leaders are cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    Finally a decent discussion. @Blanch I don't agree that with the looking back in hindsight at the last lockdown, I think the government at the time wasted it. I would assume that it is standard practice that if there was a shut down in a company or country due to health reasons that all those in responsibile positions such as health, education, business and other experts would have come together to discuss and plan what needed to be done to restart safely starting with schools and childcare because without those back people can't get back to work.

On the issue of the North I think one way around it is to give DUP an out and play to their ego. Meet with government of the North and come to an agreement that both parts will have one response but allow the North to make their restrictions first and then we follow down here. This will give the impression that DUP are ahead of everyone and we are just following. But one thing we do need and that is an all Ireland approach and if it means swallowing some pride then do it.

On preparations for restarting safely, have you looked at the DES website in respect of schools?

https://www.education.ie/covid19

There must be 50 different documents on various aspects of reopening schools for school principals to work from. Remember, many principals are paid as much as 100k to run the schools - the guys working in the Department preparing the guidance might be Executive officers on less than half that.

On the North, arguably with a Common Travel Area between the two islands, we need a British Isles approach as much as an island of Ireland approach. However, I don't buy that argument or the all-island one either. Cultural differences lead to behavioural differences, whether it is retail shopping hours, eating out patterns, drinking patterns, even funeral attendance patterns that have an effect on the spread of the virus. These cultural differences require different approaches. At the extreme, to give an example, no need to tell women in Saudi to wear a mask. There are differences in those areas between North and South. Arguably the more restricted shopping hours, leading to more crowded shops cause a problem up there more than down here. The Government up there has a job to do, it should get on with it. And the situation up there is three times more serious than down here.

On preparations for restarting safely, have you looked at the DES website in respect of schools?

https://www.education.ie/covid19

There must be 50 different documents on various aspects of reopening schools for school principals to work from. Remember, many principals are paid as much as 100k to run the schools - the guys working in the Department preparing the guidance might be Executive officers on less than half that.

On the North, arguably with a Common Travel Area between the two islands, we need a British Isles approach as much as an island of Ireland approach. However, I don't buy that argument or the all-island one either. Cultural differences lead to behavioural differences, whether it is retail shopping hours, eating out patterns, drinking patterns, even funeral attendance patterns that have an effect on the spread of the virus. These cultural differences require different approaches. At the extreme, to give an example, no need to tell women in Saudi to wear a mask. There are differences in those areas between North and South. Arguably the more restricted shopping hours, leading to more crowded shops cause a problem up there more than down here. The Government up there has a job to do, it should get on with it. And the situation up there is three times more serious than down here.

:D:D:D:D:D Different shop opening times are a 'cultural difference'? :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Do you think the Irish government ignoring NPHET is a good way to go? If things go tits up should we look to Twink to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Bowie wrote: »
    ...rather than address the discussion go with nonsense.
    seeing as you raised it, KPMG charged the FG government 11m to advise them and they went with D' O'Brien. Tax payer money well spent considering it was pretty much an inevitability?

Did you read the post I was replying to? What had KPMG got to do with the hospital deal with Denis O'Brien?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Cowards

I think they were right not going to level 5. The economic consequences would be very bad. It would also lead to the closure of schools.
    I think it is clear why they didn’t take the advice of NPHET. I think NPHET need to explain the mess that was made of communication yesterday and why their systems have failed so badly so soon. They Have been reactive from the start and I think the government have been too quick to agree with all their recommendation in the past.
    I would agree with you that MM should have attending the press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NITARILHAM13

Still to be passed by membership but at this stage it would be suicide for any party to pull out.

I reckon there was a camera ban because they knew what they were doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 NITARILHAM13

Still to be passed by membership but at this stage it would be suicide for any party to pull out.

I travel in we don’t do photo/social media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement