Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Repossessions are on the rise, executed by both domestic banks and vulture funds:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/house-repossessions-jump-75-central-bank-figures-show-1.4016085?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fhouse-repossessions-jump-75-central-bank-figures-show-1.4016085

I have little sympathy for the small percentage of defaulters you have described above, however, you are mistaken if you believe that such cases are the norm. They are very rare in my experience.

"Rents may be perceived to be high but surprise that is the "market value". If the rent is actually too high people will rent the cheaper one nest door. That is definition of market rent." Do you not see the gaping hole in this remark? Have you ever heard of supply & demand? If there was an endless supply of "houses next door", then there wouldn't be a housing crisis in this country. What's with your anti-lessee mentality?

Regarding the tax structures of the vulture funds, give this a read: https://www.thecurrency.news/articles/18696/cerberus-uncovered-how-the-hound-of-hell-uses-dutch-co-ops-to-guard-irish-profits-against-tax

Jesus I'm going home for my dinner. Houses are only repossessed if the people in them can t afford to pay for them and wont go. Do you want to pay for them?

"Supply and Demand" is precisely what I was pointing to.

As to the tax; it seems that like St Bono the "vulture funds" are reducing their tax exposure by registering companies abroad because no-one pays tax they don't have to. Agree 100% that these loopholes should be cut off but it is a messy and tricky business to figure out if a company or person is "genuinely" based in Holland or Gibralter or Monaco or not and Revenue have a team of people examining these schemes and trying to shut them down but new ones pop up after each one is shut down. Ultimately the most greedy just move to the Isle of Man or Monaco and keep all their money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

"Ireland is the gift that keeps giving." FG are very generous indeed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vulture-fund-adviser-ireland-is-the-gift-that-keeps-giving-jdxjhcvj0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If people can't pay the rent then they wouldnt get charged the rent

I see people complaining because they are paying huge rent, ask where they live and it is South Dublin somewhere. If they moved to another location they would pay less but they want to live in that location.

Landlords get a bad deal because they are constantly getting screwed. Every law comes in means the landlord gets more overheads and then people complain about the price of rent. The average landlord is getting driven out of the market by tenants and their demand and the same time they are complaining because companies are taking over

I think people need to realize if they continue with demands it is easier for a landlord with 1-2 houses to just sell up. Leave it to the companies.

The vulture things is a joke as well. Fired around by the papers and most people dont even know what they are. Just look at the person who mentioned it on here, last time when asked what they where it took days to respond and then it was incorrect.

For the standard person who buys a house, pays their mortgage and gets on with life they are the ones getting screwed. They are paying the extortionate rates on a mortgage to pay for all the people who buy a house they can't afford and then camp out in it for eyars while the banks try to get them out.

Ireland should move to a policy like other countries so we can kick these people out. Reduce our mortgage rates and move on.

"Ireland is the gift that keeps giving." FG are very generous indeed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vulture-fund-adviser-ireland-is-the-gift-that-keeps-giving-jdxjhcvj0

So? they are bad loans. With those loans it was crippling the Irish banking system which in course was crippling the irish economy!!

If someone boughts a 500k house and couldnt afford it then they should be kicked out and buy a house which they could afford.

The crash and all the complaints about FF etc. IN the end in came down to plonkers buying houses which they never could or would be able to afford. But ask them now and it was this that and the others fault.

Even today, I have said this a few times, I have heard people complain because they cant get a 100% mortgage again......seriously?????

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

O'Cuiv wants FF to go back to basics. *or wants to join SF.

https://twitter.com/eamonocuiv/status/1274036779365081088

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

He views it as Michael Collins winning
    Understandable but neolithic thinking
    Its 2020 now

Mortelaro wrote: »
    He views it as Michael Collins winning
    Understandable but neolithic thinking
    Its 2020 now

Bit harsh...he has more to say than that.

No doubt about it imo, FF in ideological crisis.

Where is the SF reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭buried

He'll be off to Sinn Féin in the morning. He's basically saying that.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I know Éamon. He's an odd as a nine euro note, but very principled. The idea of going into government would eat him up inside.

As a FG supporter I must say I'm chuffed. Hope a few more join him.

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »

It is certainly the implication...that or a new party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

FF are tearing themselves asunder in front of our eyes.

I'm actually wondering if they'll vote for the pfg now too, what kind of a following/influence would O'Cuiv have?

What's Jim O'Callaghans take on things ?

It is certainly the implication...that or a new party.

Yeah, could also see John McGuinness get out of the place too. If the two of them do leave, maybe try a new party, but can definitely see Éamon Ó Cuív joining SF

Yeah, could also see John McGuinness get out of the place too. If the two of them do leave, maybe try a new party, but can definitely see Éamon Ó Cuív joining SF

He is 69 year of age? F**k me if he heads off let him

It’s new blood FF want....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He is 69 year of age? F**k me if he heads off let him

It’s new blood FF want....

Doesn't matter what age you are, if you think your about to eat a $hit sandwich, your probably not going to do so.

McMurphy wrote: »
    FF are tearing themselves asunder in front of our eyes.

I'm actually wondering if they'll vote for the pfg now too, what kind of a following/influence would O'Cuiv have?

What's Jim O'Callaghans take on things ?

O'Callaghan's for it I think. It would take somebody of his stature to come out against it I think for them to vote against it.

O'Cuiv, McGuinness though have the potential to cause serious dissent.

Doesn't matter what age you are, if you think your about to eat a $hit sandwich, your probably not going to do so.

I seen nothing in his comments about SF but anyway

If he goes, he goes....a TD who should have retired 10 years ago is hardly a huge loss to the party....

FF have done well in other areas to remove the old guard and bring in new life, maybe it time to kick another few to touch

If SF take him, well just shows how desperate they are for decent TDs. He would probably end up right hand man to Mary Lou :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I seen nothing in his comments about SF but anyway

If he goes, he goes....a TD who should have retired 10 years ago is hardly a huge loss to the party....

FF have done well in other areas to remove the old guard and bring in new life, maybe it time to kick another few to touch

If SF take him, well just shows how desperate they are for decent TDs. He would probably end up right hand man to Mary Lou :-)

Ten years ago he would have been 3 years younger than Michaél is now, the man you placed a topless photo of in the op.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ten years ago he would have been 3 years younger than Michaél is now, the man you placed a topless photo of in the op.

Good man Michael

You do understand the difference of someone who is top of the ladder and someone who is still scrambling down the bottom after years? Best to give it up if still scrambling around at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

He's probably more likely to join Aontú. I read an article recently about PT expressing a spike in interest following the PFG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Going 'home' in other words :D

Part of me was hoping O'Cuiv would enter a leadership challenge on Martin just to see what would happen. And could he sway the FF grassroots to go back in with SF after a long hiatus? Or would he have been ran out of it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The problem in all of this infighting in FF and the Greens is that it is survivable for a leadership but if things start going wrong, they go wrong and get bloody very quickly.

FF at 14% in the polls and falling is not the party that needs senior figures writing letters like that.

If the Greens reject this...I don't think Martin will survive the bloodletting. His rather odd statement today that he 'won't be stepping down if it is rejected' confirms to me that he knows what is coming.

The problem in all of this infighting in FF and the Greens is that it is survivable for a leadership but if things start going wrong, they go wrong and get bloody very quickly.

FF at 14% in the polls and falling is not the party that needs senior figures writing letters like that.

If the Greens reject this...I don't think Martin will survive the bloodletting. His rather odd statement today that he 'won't be stepping down if it is rejected' confirms to me that he knows what is coming.

FF are at 14% in an opinion poll

The general election is the only poll that counted. If we have another then we can see what they are at then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I mean, sure. There may be elements of the GP that think they can get a better deal then when they basically have the other parties over a barrel desperate for their support and manage to bring in quite a large swathe of their proposals into the PfG. Maybe they think they will get even more seats in a re-run election and still be in a power brokering position.

But that seems pretty fantastical to me. Rejection of this deal (negotiated by them, let's not forget) would imply that the party as a whole simply will not compromise in order to implement any of its policies. Their input into the PfG is far from window dressing. Elements such as the 2:1 split on active transport funding over road building is a key tenant of Green policy and not a very popular one with large sections of society and yet they have managed to get it included. I genuinely do not understand what more they think they will manage to get in any other scenario.

I guess it's a balance issue, if they think they are being asked to give up more than they'll get. No party is signing up for the greater good or to be seen to be cooperative if the terms aren't acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He's probably more likely to join Aontú. I read an article recently about PT expressing a spike in interest following the PFG.

I had forgotten about that crowd. Makes sense.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Oooh Eamy baby so you're so,......... like...... "relevant" NOT.

Definitely another candidate for the Sinn Fein special needs section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What percentage of Irish land/properties are owned by oversea speculators? The Greens/SF should draft a bill akin to New Zealand's Overseas Investment Act. Vulture funds don't benefit anyone. Has anyone read the Currency's recent article re Cereberus and their elaborate tax structures? All of this is being facilitated by FG.

How the **** can FG folk turn a blind eye to these parasite companies? I don't mean to be rude, but it genuinely boggles me. Have you no conscience? Do you carry that much disdain in your hearts for the vulnerable Irish people being priced out of ever being able to afford a home? Why don't Leo & co. put an end to this? What do they have to gain? Peter McVerry highlighted this issue on Tonight VMTV last night and I suspect that if there's another election, people will soon remember why FG were reduced to just 35 TDs in the last election.

It's like the housing and health crises, some chose to believe it's not a thing.
    If FG changed their attitude towards housing and cut the buffoonery they'd do very well IMO.

FF are at 14% in an opinion poll

The general election is the only poll that counted. If we have another then we can see what they are at then

2 opinion polls now...both polling companies got the election result more or less spot on with one of them overestimating FF support.

Hard to ignore that, and you are the only FFer I have heard doing it to be honest.

Bowie wrote: »
    It's like the housing and health crises, some chose to believe it's not a thing.
    If FG changed their attitude towards housing and cut the buffoonery they'd do very well IMO.

So whats your plan?

• Advertisement

2 opinion polls now...both polling companies got the election result more or less spot on with one of them overestimating FF support.

Hard to ignore that, and you are the only FFer I have heard doing it to be honest.

Your vast knowledge of every party in Ireland and its members opinion is nothing I can challange.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement