Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Up here they did, FG courted the Orange vote, FF the republican vote

Where is up here just out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Where is up here just out of interest

Donegal I'd wager. He knows where PDs house is remember.
    There is a sizable "orange vote" in border counties.
    Some lads are using racist overtones as to who votes for who "up there"!
    Donegal, Cavan/Monaghan, Meath and Louth.
    SF are unlikely to get the "orange vote".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Yes, the 'Altnaveigh Massacre' of six Protestant civilians in 1922. Part of of a cycle of 'tit for tat' sectarian violence in Armagh/Down at that time of course, but still...

Not aware of that. It makes Frank Aiken exactly the same as Uncle Gerry & Co. That is not a licence to kill other people. And the dissident criminals are exactly the same as the criminals who went before them. As before murder and mutilating other people for any reason is wrong. I would not vote for anyone who could do it. Plenty here are happy to promote them or "whatabout "various justifications.

I expect Fianna Fail will do a deal with them at some point. As a previous poster pointed out FF always had an element of armchair republicans. Lets see how that works out. Less concerned by their "economic policies" because they have none save an enthusiasm for the latest bandwagon but if and when they do get in they can only behave in the only way they know how. Great news for all those who fear the Special Criminal Court etc. Hope its not your child or brother or parent who suffers , though their history is that they do most damage to their own so more likey to be their cheerleaders here than me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So in other words you have no idea but seem to think you talk for the Irish people?

You do know the reason Irish water was setup was because of the bailout and it was one of the terms!!!

Irish water was never a decision made by any party

Wow you really don't like admitting when you are wrong. You're like a teenager who has suddenly developed an interest in Irish politics but has no historical knowledge of it. The question is who setup Irish water. You know what setup means? I know more about Irish Water than you ever will but I am prepared to educate you. The bailout agreement called for the introduction of water charges in order to widen the tax take - did the EU ask Fine Gael (Hogan, O'Dowd etc) to create the 'god awful mess' that was Irish Water superquango and then cancel water charges? :D
    Did the EU direct Fine Gael to create an Irish Water with a overstaffing, excessive cost, excessive contractor charges, bonus cultures, corruption, cronyism (Google Tierney+RPS), very dodgy contracts, poor planning, poor governance (those missing secret minutes)....all this and then never implement water charges??? :D:p Irish water contractors created more leaks when installing meters than they ever fixed.
    The junior minister who helped set up Irish Water, Fergus O'Dowd (FG), describes it as "an unmitigated disaster".
    Irish Water is again engulfed in controversy after it emerges that staff can earn bonuses of up to 19pc.
    Irish Water will spend nearly €86 million on consultants, contractors and legal advice
    Chief executive John Tierney said two former executives with a consultancy firm that advised on the Poolbeg thermal treatment project when he was Dublin city manager had left the firm by the time Irish Water employed them. He said they were employed following an “open recruitment” process.
    Fine Gael’s Fergus O’Dowd, who helped set up Irish Water, claimed yesterday it is carrying 2,000 staff that are simply not needed.
    The former minister added: “I think it’s time for heads to roll at Irish Water.
    “They have failed utterly in their mission. Their mission has not been accomplished. It’s a nightmare situation.”
    In total, there are no minutes from more than half of all meetings between the Department of Environment and Bord Gáis in the six months after they set up Irish Water. Overall, 23 meetings occurred between April and September 2012 but according to documents obtained by RTÉ's 'This Week' programme, there are only notes from 10.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-contracts-never-went-to-tender-29913224.html

So who did setup Irish Water? Hint: The answer is Fine Gael with help from Labour when it started to unravel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/QuinlivanTD/status/1274639447917842432?s=19

FF are down to 13% on the Polls.

This hole thing is a pointless shambles. Martin will be usurped within months if he gets the gig and we'll be going to another election straight away.

We're just faffing about to jot something down on Michael Martins CV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

FF are down to 13% on the Polls.

This hole thing is a pointless shambles. Martin will be usurped within months if he gets the gig and we'll be going to another election straight away.

We're just faffing about to jot something down on Michael Martins CV.

Yeah the political system is a joke and needs reform. We are now 4.5 months from the election and still no government. I think FFG+Greens will happen but we'll have another election in 2021 as the economic recession makes a nonsense of the PFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It will be tight. The Green bar of 2/3ds is very high. Weird position if 60% vote to go into Govn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If it's just the Greens rejecting the PFG I think there's a fair chance of FF/FG cutting a deal with Independents

Varadkar has seemingly ruled this out, I suppose if the Greens vetoed the deal it would allow him to go for another GE without it seeming to be FG's fault. If FG were on 13% in the polls like FF I wonder would he taking the same stand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yeah the political system is a joke and needs reform. We are now 4.5 months from the election and still no government. I think FFG+Greens will happen but we'll have another election in 2021 as the economic recession makes a nonsense of the PFG.

It's a manufactured recession
    Most people working before it either furloughed or on the pandemic will have a job to go back to,even hospitality workers if as expected the distancing is reduced to 1 metre
    Though hospitality will lag a lot until tourism rebounds,which it will

Forgive me but I am not a negative negative negative
    Chin up,feet forward positive is what I expect is the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Varadkar has seemingly ruled this out, I suppose if the Greens vetoed the deal it would allow him to go for another GE without it seeming to be FG's fault. If FG were on 13% in the polls like FF I wonder would he taking the same stand though.

Not sure if he has the sense to see (I'm sure there has to be realists in the FG backroom) that FG's record would come into focus in an election campaign and knock a few spots off that polling figure.

Could end up tied with SF very easily...with FF taking the rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Eamon O Cuiv ain't a happy camper over on Twitter about the 13% poll rating, he reckons the deal will make the situation even worse for FF.

No cabinet post for him from tricky Mickey I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭combat14

wonder will this have much of an affect on northern green

Green chief in North is latest to oppose programme for government:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/green-chief-in-north-is-latest-to-oppose-programme-for-government-1.4284649?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not sure if he has the sense to see (I'm sure there has to be realists in the FG backroom) that FG's record would come into focus in an election campaign and knock a few spots off that polling figure.

Could still be in FG's long-term interests though, precipitating the realignment of Irish politics around FG-SF rivalry and pushing FF to the margins permanently.

Really, with SF, FG, are you serious after the lambasting yous give them!
    How many of you SF whingers would back that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Indeed the 100 days+ of COVID-19 has had nothing to do with that.

Some Greens continuing to act like children and trying to take the ball home!

Clare Bailey MLA and Dublin City Councillor Hazel Chu issued a statement, along with various TDs, strongly criticising the Programme for Government, which they say represents "an unjust recovery".

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0621/1148697-northern-greens/

Time for the Bard here methinks.

"There is a tide in the affairs of men (and women!).
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This from the Green camp is promising in that it shows at least some of them will not sell out the public for a few concessions.
    Speaking the BBC's Sunday Politics programme, Ms Bailey said there were "some environmental wins" within the deal, but that the economics of it meant that "the most vulnerable were hit hardest"

You would think FF/FG might be clever enough not to use the same template FG used after the last crash but I suppose it's the only way to help their economy while being able to impress the global financial cartels and get all the goodies and sweet deals for them that don't like to pay tax.

O'Cuiv seems to be trying to form his own form of Tea party within FF. Make Ireland Dark and Regressive Again.
    I would hope that anyone voting on it has more than their own interests in mind. I think that counts out the three leaders anyway.

Really, with SF, FG, are you serious after the lambasting yous give them!
    How many of you SF whingers would back that?

'Really' what am I 'serious' about?

'Really' what am I 'serious' about?
    Would you back a SF FG govt?

• Advertisement

Would you back a SF FG govt?

It wasn't what I was saying in that post. Just that they could easily tie the election with SF.

If they negotiate a programme for government that I thought was credible and observant of both their objectives...yes I would back it.

Not if it is some sledgehammered 'wishlist' just to keep power though.

It wasn't what I was saying in that post. Just that they could easily tie the election with SF.

If they negotiate a programme for government that I thought was credible and observant of both their objectives...yes I would back it.

Not if it is some sledgehammered 'wishlist' just to keep power though.

Basically all I wanted to know Francie.
    Despite all the shoite, as another poster put it, FG, Leo et al, would be acceptable bed partners as long as its SF they're with.
    Hypocricy much from the whinge side.
    I wouldn't back it, I'd hate it, anyone that'd include SF would be off my vote list in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another blow to the proposed deal today with the latest green statements.

Eamon Ryan gamely defending it on RTÉ at the moment but I sense a hint of frustration in him

Basically all I wanted to know Francie.
    Despite all the shoite, as another poster put it, FG, Leo et al, would be acceptable bed partners as long as its SF they're with.
    Hypocricy much from the whinge side.
    I wouldn't back it, I'd hate it, anyone that'd include SF would be off my vote list in future.

No Bish.

Not 'acceptable', I could though accept it if it was the only option.

Coalition isn't acceptable either, but can be if it is done properly.

This putative coalition - FF FG Greens is a sham already because it is as we know based on a nonsense 'wishlist' designed to fool the Greens into coming on board.
    The Green leader's motives here are questionable in the extreme.

Another blow to the proposed deal today with the latest green statements.

Eamon Ryan gamely defending it on RTÉ at the moment but I sense a hint of frustration in him
    I think it's hard to guess what they'll do as opposition to a deal is a better new story. Some of them have been of that mindset anyway but Catherine Martin has let the side down completely with her own mutterings. Not great for the party that she could be their next leader.

Is it true the programme for government hasnt any inbuilt capacity or acknowledged the increasing likelyhood of a no-deal brexit?

Is it true the programme for government hasnt any inbuilt capacity or acknowledged the increasing likelyhood of a no-deal brexit?
    We've been preparing to deal with that for a year. It's not a new potential issue.

According to Richard Bruton yesterday...Yes, not factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

combat14 wrote: »
    wonder will this have much of an affect on northern green

Green chief in North is latest to oppose programme for government:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/green-chief-in-north-is-latest-to-oppose-programme-for-government-1.4284649?mode=amp

Haven't ran the numbers myself, but have seen it tweeted that between them, the youth wing and greens up North could scupper the deal alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Haven't ran the numbers myself, but have seen it tweeted that between them, the youth wing and greens up North could scupper the deal alone.
    A third of the Green vote is under 20.

If they scupper this, they'll be out for another5 to 10 years, puritanism in electoral politics always leads to political irrelevance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement