Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Simple answer.

In the general election campaign, people were surrounded by noise and competing voices and false narratives and fake promises of change as well as silly social media campaigns.

The singular focus on the coronavirus crisis has helped people to look at what actually happens in government, how leaders respond under pressure, and what they do. It was very unusual, because it is extremely rare that single events affect everyone to that extent - arguably never in Ireland since independence - and that has allowed for people to see better than ever how government works.

Interesting. So was this the case in 2011 with soundbites such as 'change the way we do business' 'no more quangos' 'an end to cronyism' 'I'll stop the scandal of hospital trolleys'? (I bought all that to be fair) Empty soundbites and an electorate fooled?
    Also, was the historical financial global economic meltdown allowing the electorate have a clear view on how government works under pressure why FG did so poorly they needed support from FF the following election? Doesn't make sense Blanch. Doesn't add up.
    I would suggest the whole 'all in this together' feel good train played a part. Alas it has since left the station stopping off at the Ireland's Call farce, Harris' Covid number 19, sweet hospital bed deals and Varadkar lifting false sentiment from Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Simple answer.

In the general election campaign, people were surrounded by noise and competing voices and false narratives and fake promises of change as well as silly social media campaigns.

The singular focus on the coronavirus crisis has helped people to look at what actually happens in government, how leaders respond under pressure, and what they do. It was very unusual, because it is extremely rare that single events affect everyone to that extent - arguably never in Ireland since independence - and that has allowed for people to see better than ever how government works.

Covid removed the deflection politics. Ask a question and get an answer which has no relevance.

The poorly run parties ran and hid, then when he cleared up they all came crawling back out.

Then started shouting about putting down people, like in the case of Greens and Ryan saying for mental health to keep hardware stores open so they could grow vegtables etc. This was turned into a joke by some parties, the same parties who couldnt be found to even come up with an idea when Covid hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Covid removed the deflection politics. Ask a question and get an answer which has no relevance.

The poorly run parties ran and hid, then when he cleared up they all came crawling back out.

Then started shouting about putting down people, like in the case of Greens and Ryan saying for mental health to keep hardware stores open so they could grow vegtables etc. This was turned into a joke by some parties, the same parties who couldnt be found to even come up with an idea when Covid hit.

Mary Lou was on Radio and Claire Byrne and Tonight Show many times over the past 3 months. She not very good at hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Simple answer.

Mmmmmm reading the posts here I am not so sure. No evidence that anyone grew up over the last three months or got any less thick. Expect if and when an election is called we can rely on the Irish to distinguish themselves again. Although its the same everywhere, Trump Johnston, the bloke in Brazil. Bread and Circuses.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Mmmmmm reading the posts here I am not so sure. No evidence that anyone grew up over the last three months or got any less thick. Expect if and when an election is called we can rely on the Irish to distinguish themselves again. Although its the same everywhere, Trump Johnston, the bloke in Brazil. Bread and Circuses.

So the poll is wrong or anyone supporting FG is 'thick'? That's not very nice.

• Advertisement

Mary Lou was on Radio and Claire Byrne and Tonight Show many times over the past 3 months. She not very good at hiding

Not to forget her having a bout of Covid and needing rest up for a few weeks despite some posters surmising both herself and Tubirdy might be pretending and doing so for PR purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Truthvader wrote: »

I don't think it applies to posters on here, I am talking about the generally more intelligent electorate.

There is an over-representation of people who vote Sinn Fein or PBP on boards. In fact, the greatest over-representation is of people who call themselves republicans but don't vote for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Water John wrote: »
    MM has no Plan B, but FF have. MM will step aside and FF will do a deal with SF. What's their choice, go for a GE with 14% in the polls?

13% and dropping,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I don't think it applies to posters on here, I am talking about the generally more intelligent electorate.

There is an over-representation of people who vote Sinn Fein or PBP on boards. In fact, the greatest over-representation is of people who call themselves republicans but don't vote for SF.

What are you basing that on? Your own biases, perhaps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In fact, the greatest over-representation is of people who call themselves republicans but don't vote for SF.

There are lots of reasons for staunch Republicans not to vote SF- not least of all because of vehement disagreements over their economic policies. Being a Republican- does not necessarily mean you have to be Leftwing. It also doesn't mean you support FF or indeed that there is any party in this jurisdiction who represent you and your point of view.

I'd say there is a significant cohort of Republicans out there who are voting for a plethora of single issue local candidates- if they at least concur on that single issue local matter (be it a new road- or whatever).

Neither SF or FF have any right to imagine that the votes of Republicans are automatically theirs for the taking, and both would be well advised to consider this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There are lots of reasons for staunch Republicans not to vote SF- not least of all because of vehement disagreements over their economic policies. Being a Republican- does not necessarily mean you have to be Leftwing. It also doesn't mean you support FF or indeed that there is any party in this jurisdiction who represent you and your point of view.

I'd say there is a significant cohort of Republicans out there who are voting for a plethora of single issue local candidates- if they at least concur on that single issue local matter (be it a new road- or whatever).

Neither SF or FF have any right to imagine that the votes of Republicans are automatically theirs for the taking, and both would be well advised to consider this.
    Excellent post.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd agree, as a republican whose vote is owned by no party.

Funny how I said poorly run parties and you automatically thought of Mary Lou

Funny how I said poorly run parties and you automatically thought of Mary Lou

Everybody knew who you were talking about. It's all you do talk about

Going by election results FG is getting run badly and SF are on the up btw

Don't sell yourself short Blanch.

Do you not think that FG believing any criticism is a SF led conspiracy might be a little nutty?
    I do like the way PBP are getting a mention, but it tears holes in your shinner conspiracy.
    The excuses are becoming a little worrying. Would the people who support FG in the polls be more smaterer than the people didn't vote FG in the election? :) Numbers wise surely, as you yourself believe, people are coming back to FG based on the poll. Does that mean they were thick but got smarterer?

Everybody knew who you were talking about. It's all you do talk about

Going by election results FG is getting run badly and SF are on the up btw

You confirmed you see SF as a poorly run party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

WE NEED A GOVERNMENT OF CHANGE, NOT THIS SHAM BEING DRIVEN BY THE SNOWFLAKES AND THEIR VIRTUE SIGNALLING.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Now this is new and interesting. Please let us have a definition of a "staunch Republican? Fascinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

WE NEED A GOVERNMENT OF CHANGE, NOT THIS SHAM BEING DRIVEN BY THE SNOWFLAKES AND THEIR VIRTUE SIGNALLING.

Shouting won't change my opinion.

What’s a government of change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What’s a government of change?

WE COULD HAVE USED APPLE'S 120BILLION EURO TO INVEST IN THE BANKING SECTOR IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE FAI CARTEL AND THEIR AUSTERITY POLICIES.

https://thisinterestsme.com/tools/journal-comment-generator.php

Snowflakes don't tend to make light of a deadly pandemic by lifting empty speeches from Netflix. You're right on the virtue signaling.

john4321 wrote: »
    WE COULD HAVE USED APPLE'S 120BILLION EURO TO INVEST IN THE BANKING SECTOR IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE FAI CARTEL AND THEIR AUSTERITY POLICIES.

https://thisinterestsme.com/tools/journal-comment-generator.php

Im sure Mary Lou said it was one hundred million billion......

Im sure Mary Lou said it was one hundred million billion......

Leo 'I wanna talk to her to tell her I don't wanna talk to her'

Wonder what film he got that from

Leo 'I wanna talk to her to tell her I don't wanna talk to her'

Wonder what film he got that from

He must have been smoking the mad stuff before his interview last night.

He must have been smoking the mad stuff before his interview last night.

Leo loves the hash, did you not know?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Leo loves the hash, did you not know?

Yes, I remember that was the source of some temporary outrage on here for a few minutes.

Yes, I remember that was the source of some temporary outrage on here for a few minutes.

One day Leo farted and it was a source of some outrage on here :p:p:p:p

Some people have little else to do

• Advertisement

Ah yeh lets make a joke about his shambolic interview last night, that will make people forgot

I wanted to talk to Mary to tell her why I wouldn't talk to her but she wont reply.

Spin Fein.

Its appropriate to say a Mean Girls Quote in a speech once its in context (1700 people dying, excellent time for a Mean Girls Quote)

He as outdone himself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement