Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Not the Protest Vote nonsense again. I've been hearing that for the past 15 years.

Maybe a change of leadership might smarten things up. Dessie Ellis maybe? Would bring in the swing voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dessie Ellis for foreign affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So the coalition continues with the addition of the greens, hardly a surprise considering the (Bribe) pay raise that is on the Cards for it being approved.

I can live with fracked gas being banned.
    I can live with more cycling infrastructure.

But Michael Martin is old school FF, and we know what that means. It’s Bertie levels of Haugheyness with a bit of biffo for good measure.

For anyone in dublin who mostly depend on natural gas for heating, the banning of building a LNG terminal is incredibly short sighted. We still have to import gas, just at the mercy of the brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Maybe a change of leadership might smarten things up. Dessie Ellis maybe? Would bring in the swing voters.

Mary Lou for the next few years then Pearse Doherty takes over as leader. A lot more fence sitting voters would find it easier to vote for him than combative Mary Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well maybe doubtful but it's not an impossibility. I can see the greens not making the mistakes they made the last time because it's taken a while to get back even though the trend is for the smaller party of a coalition to take the fall, and FF and FG wont want to be seen as one in the same so will try their hardest to maintain their identities. Best laid plans and all that.
    The Greens became the fall guys for something neither they nor FF could ultimately control. Martin won't walk, the Greens might wobble but if the economy comes back as predicted and delivers the funding for all of the visions we'll get to 4-5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Not the Protest Vote nonsense again. I've been hearing that for the past 15 years.

There were even some SF TDs elected purely due to protest votes !

The electorate didn’t have a clue who they were 😆

Mary Lou for the next few years then Pearse Doherty takes over as leader. A lot more fence sitting voters would find it easier to vote for him than combative Mary Lou.
    Pearse is still too angry to be a leader.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So I'm happy with this outcome. I'd class myself as part of the silent minority (majority?), average wage and homeowner who is not overtly political. I'll usually vote for the candidate over the party, but wouldn't be a fan of FF at all. I'm happy enough with the last few years of FG and feel they've done a good job of dealing with Covid. However when it comes to Sinn Fein and their crazy economic policies, or rather lack of policies, I'll happily take this trio in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

He'd probably be a far better fit as SF leader than the posh TCD graduate from Rathgar has turned out to be. Plus he has the campaign medals.

jprender wrote: »
    There were even some SF TDs elected purely due to protest votes !

The electorate didn’t have a clue who they were 😆

That applies to every single party in the state, not just Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

It feels like about 40 years since we voted

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Greens became the fall guys for something neither they nor FF could ultimately control. Martin won't walk, the Greens might wobble but if the economy comes back as predicted and delivers the funding for all of the visions we'll get to 4-5 years.

The economy could well be a disaster zone though. Large sections of the country never even recovered from the implosion over a decade ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

As I said previously, they're building the party based on the long game.

Just like how some people play the long game to become millionaires by buying lotto tickets every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes on the opposition benches.

They've seen what happens to other parties that go in as junior partners in a coalition. PDs, DL, Labour, Greens... They get thrown to the dogs.

Sinn Fein know this, they knew they were never getting in this time. So go another 5 years and continue to build towards a strong left coalition.

A strong left coalition?

While SF may well get more seats the rest of them like PBP/Solidarity are going nowhere.

You may not like to hear it but unless FF or FG change their mind at some point in the future SF will never be in power.

Only if you're a board member of an Insurance Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He's definitely more charismatic. Mary Lou looks like someone just minding the seat until the boss gets back. And, as you say, too aggressive.

Dessie Ellis for foreign affairs

Are you mental? Minister for justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

And stupid, see "Your pension at 65" stupidity.

You may not like to hear it but unless FF or FG change their mind at some point in the future SF will never be in power.

I may not like to hear your opinion? I don't really care either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I wonder who will be appointed to the Seanad tomorrow.

There's talk of the De Sousa woman; seemingly purely on the basis that she's a female and is from the North.

• Advertisement

Ah here, the quality of some of those SF TDs that were blindly elected is shocking.

Clueless stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

How likely is that in your opinion?

They elected someone who was rejected for a council seat in Kildare and given to racist tweets and a TCD graduate in Clare who refused to pay rent, and a lad in Waterford who seems to be living in the past. Not exactly top notch candidates but voters went for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Ah here, the quality of some of those SF TDs that were blindly elected is shocking.

Clueless stuff.

Mary Mitchel o Connor level 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I may not like to hear your opinion? I don't really care either way.

No not my opinion which means nothing its the opinion of FG and FF you might not like because as I said SF need them to get a chance at Government.

Clueless stuff.

Do we really need to go into the quality of FF and FG TDs elected over the past years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If you on socail welfare then maybe SF would be a good choice
    If your working then SF is the worst choice for you, unless you like more money going out of your wages towards social welfare

FYI: SF, SD's and FF have similar stances on housing, build more social and affordable.
    If you want to lay blame for wasted money look at 25 year leases, luxury apartment and hotels, instead of building more social and affordable.
    If I were one of the folk, (numbers nobody can supply) who choose not to work and don't and get welfare and luxury apartments I'd be more concerned if the government changed rather than fear it because by all anecdotal accounts dem that don't want to work were doing just dandy under a FG, FF supported government. Or do you think it'll all be different now? :rolleyes:

Clueless stuff.

https://twitter.com/malcolmbyrne/status/1276510686869258241?s=19

How likely is that in your opinion?
    I think we'll do it but starting next year. I reckon this year is just about managing the huge COVID bill and the government bedding in.

• Advertisement

Triangle wrote: »
    Mary Mitchel o Connor level 😂

No, way lower quality than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement