Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

is_that_so wrote: »
    I believe her position is more nuanced or she has tried to be!

So if/when they produce a vaccine for Covid-19, she'll refuse and take her chances? Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

There's also the one in Kildare South who was so eager to engage with the electorate that she went on holiday while the campaign was on.

Well now she's effectively on a five year taxpayer-funded holiday on the opposition backbenches.

She'll never get an opportunity to speak in the Dáil, will be assigned to one of the lower profile Oireachtas Committees and can effectively do whatever she likes until the next GE comes around.

And that applies to many of the Labour and Soc Dem newbies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

I hope there are no FF or FG supporters left clinging on to the delusion that there's an iota of difference between them, at least we know now they're the same party for now and evermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Bowie wrote: »
    We certainly do. Enjoy paying taxes so people on welfare can live in D4 apartments? Good on ya.
    Of course all the rent money goes to charity ;)

What ****e are you talking.

Trying to pass off rent allowance as a right wing policy.

Rent goes to landlords providing a service.
    The government ensure that people who can’t afford rent get subsidised.

It’s more welfare.

Quit your jibber-jabber.

I hope there are no FF or FG supporters left clinging on to the delusion that there's an iota of difference between them, at least we know now they're the same party for now and evermore.

That's one positive of the imminent government. We won't have to endure that political theatre ever again.

• Advertisement

The main similarity being that they're both in government at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Spot on. Another milestone. It is something I never did until this moment, FFFG is now a legitimate acronym.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Except when the banks went to the wall we didn't let them. We paid their debt and they kept their jobs. Cant blame left wing fury on that front

This is the bail out that Sinn Fein voted for in the Dail?

Can't blame the right wing for that!

Spot on. Another milestone. It is something I never did until this moment, FFFG is now a legitimate acronym.

Are we back to FFFG and SFIRA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

We certainly do. Enjoy paying taxes so people on welfare can live in D4 apartments? Good on ya.

Paying tax so the money can go to HAP and thus to foreign Hedge funds, Vulture Funds, and property conglomerates . All the while the Govt ensures de facto open borders and a constant demand for accommodation, keeping the prices sky high in order to enrich the aforementioned parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

You have some very impressive work experience going by your LinkedIn page...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealclarence

They'll merge before the next GE. Or twist in the wind.

The next interesting vote is the one for the Green Leadership.

My money's on Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jprender wrote: »
    Are we back to FFFG and SFIRA ?

Unfortunate thing is that FFFG still exist.

They'll merge before the next GE.

Rubbish.

There's more chance of Celtic and Rangers merging than there is of FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Except when the banks went to the wall we didn't let them. We paid their debt and they kept their jobs. Cant blame left wing fury on that front

I am saying we don't have any right wing parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My money's on Ryan.
    Are they still doing this? I'd say it'll be a formality for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would see FF being closer to the Greens than FG in this Govn't. In European terms FF would be more social democrat and FG christian democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well it would be about time too TBH. Glad the Civil War shyte is forgotten, well for now anyway. Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Hope it works out, and if it does, it is another positive step in our history for the future.

I hope the Shinners go to feck now. Useless shouty people with no mandate to spend our money on their non contributory supporters to our Exchequer.

And the whiff of Cordite off all of them, together with a lack of intelligence and knowledge (last election candidates) is hilarious, if it wasn't so sad for the rest of us paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

FYI: SF, SD's and FF have similar stances on housing, build more social and affordable.
    If you want to lay blame for wasted money look at 25 year leases, luxury apartment and hotels, instead of building more social and affordable.
    If I were one of the folk, (numbers nobody can supply) who choose not to work and don't and get welfare and luxury apartments I'd be more concerned if the government changed rather than fear it because by all anecdotal accounts dem that don't want to work were doing just dandy under a FG, FF supported government. Or do you think it'll all be different now? :rolleyes:

The Vienna model is a common model for rentals amongst SF, SD and greens. I don't think FF have bought into it yet.
    If they do, then hopefully the majority of this coalition (I.e. FF and Greens) can steer towards this model (cost rentals)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

This is the bail out that Sinn Fein voted for in the Dail?

Can't blame the right wing for that!

As before Sinn Fein are not a left wing party

Rubbish.

There's more chance of Celtic and Rangers merging than there is of FF and FG.

This isn't Scottish football. Politically, they won't have a choice. Civil war politics is dead. The next GE, assuming climate change hasn't yet kicked in as the main focus, will be fought along left/right economic lines. A single coherent centre right party will clean out a fragmented left. Divisions on the right of centre will leave the door open for a SF led coalition. So they'll do the pragmatic thing and merge. FF supported a FG government. Now they're going into government together. Next logical step is merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As before Sinn Fein are not a left wing party

Of course they are not, lol, except to their moronic followers. Are you one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

My money's on Ryan.

Given that the opposition to government within his own party has been shown to be 600 people, I'd say he's safe as leader. Wonder who his Seanad nominations will be?

Twitter hype counts for nothing. Might keep Saoirse McHugh, now shown to be a minority within her own party, off the airwaves for a while, which would be an added bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Unfortunately this is just sour grapes

This isn't Scottish football. Politically, they won't have a choice. Civil war politics is dead. The next GE, assuming climate change hasn't yet kicked in as the main focus, will be fought along left/right economic lines. A single coherent centre right party will clean out a fragmented left. Divisions on the right of centre will leave the door open for a SF led coalition. So they'll do the pragmatic thing and merge. FF supported a FG government. Now they're going into government together. Next logical step is merger.

It’s what SF supporters are hoping for, and they will continue to do their best to paint them as the same thing.

They will never merge though.
    Absolutely no benefit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Saoirse is very quiet. Probably busy composing her resignation letter

It’s what SF supporters are hoping for, and they will continue to do their best to paint them as the same thing.

I can't see how both will survive if they don't. They'll simply split the centre right/right vote. Which will mean an awful lot less FG/FF TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Given that the opposition to government within his own party has been shown to be 600 people, I'd say he's safe as leader. Wonder who his Seanad nominations will be?

Twitter hype counts for nothing. Might keep Saoirse McHugh, now shown to be a minority within her own party, off the airwaves for a while, which would be an added bonus.
    Indeed. It's a relief not to have to listen to Coppinger whining like a bus load of Brummie going to Dudley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You think it's just SF supporters? It's been a running joke for decades even from people would throw them (FF/FG) a vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement