Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jprender wrote: »
    It’s what SF supporters are hoping for, and they will continue to do their best to paint them as the same thing.

They will never merge though.
    Absolutely no benefit to it.

FF look like dying out, as of now. There will be no merger bit one will be a micro party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Danzy wrote: »
    FF look like dying out, as of now. There will be no merger bit one will be a micro party.

Just right now, FF are down to 15% in the polls. So you could argue that they're well down that road already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I can't see how both will survive if they don't. They'll simply split the centre right/right vote. Which will mean an awful lot less FG/FF TDs.

Of course they’ll survive.

SF aren’t even a left wing party, if anything they are populist and figured out that promising free money and houses was their best policy this time around.

There isn’t a left/right divide in Irish politics.

FG / FF / SF all pretty much in the same space depending what way the wind is blowing, and then you have the loony far left.

Of course they’ll survive.

SF aren’t even a left wing party, if anything they are populist and figured out that promising free money and houses was their best policy this time around.

There isn’t a left/right divide in Irish politics.

FG / FF / SF all pretty much in the same space depending what way the wind is blowing, and then you have the loony far left.

FG and SF in the same space? Not on my planet.

I Could see something like that happening alright. Not sure about the micro part though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bowie wrote: »
    You think it's just SF supporters? It's been a running joke for decades even from people would throw them (FF/FG) a vote.

Running joke with?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

FF are sort of finished now. Well they had years to rejuvenate after their self imposed crash with the Galway tent and all that, but it didn't happen.

Now we have Father Micheal to lead us to Mass.

Got to give him a chance though, and we shall see how he deals with power at last.

This is a great little country, and it is not because of any party, it is because of us. They need to realise this.

I’m not saying they’re identical, but if you look at the whole left to right spectrum, they are not too far apart on that line,

A bit to the left of centre to slightly right of centre depending on where they believe the most votes can be won.

They pretty much hate each other though 😆

I think it hilarious

We have spent weeks listening to a pile of poo about this will never happen, posts after post about stupid bets

Now the best people can come up is FF is dying, the party that’s just about to take over running the country

A lot of rubbish posted on here since elections but the desperation stuff now is just pathetic.

Good on FF, they got hammered after the crash, have slowly built and now back in control in just over 10 years since the crash. They are stronger today than for the last 10 years

Onwards and upwards

I’m not saying they’re identical, but if you look at the whole left to right spectrum, they are not too far apart on that line,

A bit to the left of centre to slightly right of centre depending on where they believe the most votes can be won.

Well FG aren't far right and SF aren't far left. But they differ greatly on socioeconomic policies. And then there's the little matter of Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

To be fair, you claimed that FG and FF are centre-right to right wing parties. I'd say in reality they are centre to centre-left. SF are left wing populists so they aren't that far apart in reality.

Well FG aren't far right and SF aren't far left. But they differ greatly on socioeconomic policies. And then there's the little matter of Northern Ireland.

My point is that none of the main three parties are are that far from the centre.

Ireland doesn’t have a left/right divide.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think it hilarious

We have spent weeks listening to a pile of poo about this will never happen, posts after post about stupid bets

Now the best people can come up is FF is dying, the party that’s just about to take over running the country

A lot of rubbish posted on here since elections but the desperation stuff now is just pathetic.

Good on FF, they got hammered after the crash, have slowly built and now back in control in just over 10 years since the crash. They are stronger today than for the last 10 years

Onwards and upwards

Onward and upwards? Fianna Fáil? In 13 years, they've gone from 41% to 24% in elections. Today they have 15% in opinion polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

This isn't Scottish football. Politically, they won't have a choice. Civil war politics is dead. The next GE, assuming climate change hasn't yet kicked in as the main focus, will be fought along left/right economic lines. A single coherent centre right party will clean out a fragmented left. Divisions on the right of centre will leave the door open for a SF led coalition. So they'll do the pragmatic thing and merge. FF supported a FG government. Now they're going into government together. Next logical step is merger.

I know it isn't Scottish football. I also know that it isn't going to happen before the next election. That doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen in the longer term nor does it mean that it shouldn't happen, but I believe that we're looking at a decade down the road, at the earliest, before it has much chance of happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

And killing people

My point is that none of the main three parties are are that far from the centre.

Ireland doesn’t have a left/right divide.

Not yet, but it's coming. It will take shape during the course of this government. It's what prevails in most countries aside from nationalism and populism.

Onward and upwards? Fianna Fáil? In 13 years, they've gone from 41% to 24% in elections. Today they have 15% in opinion polls.

Opinion poll :-)

They are just taking over running the country

Your good fun

I know it isn't Scottish football. I also know that it isn't going to happen before the next election. That doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen in the longer term nor does it mean that it shouldn't happen, but I believe that we're looking at a decade down the road, at the earliest, before it has much chance of happening.

Possibly but I think it's inevitable. And I think a stronger SF will force it to happen more quickly.

Not yet, but it's coming. It will take shape during the course of this government. It's what prevails in most countries aside from nationalism and populism.

But where is it coming from ?

Who is going to move where ?
    Are SF gonna move towards PBP ?

Opinion poll :-)

They are just taking over running the country

Your good fun

No, they're in a three party coalition. Fianna Fáil will never again "take over running the country". Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Do you think so? I think a lot of people in this country have looked across both sides of the water and see what true right-wing politics looks like and want nothing to do with it. I'd hope we'd move in to a more Scandinavian-model direction but I don't know if we as a people are sensible enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Edgware wrote: »
    Saoirse is very quiet. Probably busy composing her resignation letter
    Genuine question: why does she get so much attention? Shes a failed candidate and holds no elected position.

No, they're in a three party coalition. Fianna Fáil will never again "take over running the country". Never.

That reminds me of

https://youtu.be/mar3UQv7JMI

Do you think so? I think a lot of people in this country have looked across both sides of the water and see what true right-wing politics looks like and want nothing to do with it. I'd hope we'd move in to a more Scandinavian-model direction but I don't know if we as a people are sensible enough.

So do I. I don't think we're that far away from it. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think it hilarious

Onwards and upwards

I predict that there will be a whole heap of posters disappearing over the coming weeks, some with closed accounts, some with changed names. Next we will see some new posters emerge, claiming to have voted Green in February but are disgusted by the way they are propping up the FF/FG government but will be voting SF in the next election which can’t come soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They'll not merge. Blaming each ther is all they have.
    They might form some coalition or Axis ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Truthvader wrote: »
    And killing people

And the Balaclava bosses in the background. But many think they have moved on. I don't.

The calibre of their elected members in the last election is just so fkn hilarious as to make it ridiculous. But that's down to the local Cumann or whatever the Shinners call it. Says it all for me.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I predict that there will be a whole heap of posters disappearing over the coming weeks, some with closed accounts, some with changed names. Next we will see some new posters emerge, claiming to have voted Green in February but are disgusted by the way they are propping up the FF/FG government but will be voting SF in the next election which can’t come soon enough.

Next we will start all the clinging to SF “won” by getting into the opposition

I do think we need election education for the next one, we have 5 years to try and explain 24% is not a majority

And you win an election with seats, not makey upey stuff

She is fairly clearly the future of the green party,who will parachute her into a consituency to get her in and use the high profile to increase vote nationwide

(Essentially what sf done with mary lou)

Congratz to micheal martin on making taoiseach,from what looked a position of no hope,

Hopefully he will introduce the ssia type scheme he promised in the election for first time buyers

You not hear MM, he said he is going to make us all rich selling white gold to Europe.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »

Let's just see how they perform first. Going by their histories and recent record why would anyone pretend to support them?
    That said what's wrong with voters changing their minds? It's not a team sport Blanch. Maybe the floaters who go FF one election, FG the next will be consolidated?

Anyway some fantasy to think folk simply want to pretend they backed these barneys just to be on the 'winning' side :)
    Let's see how the tax payer and the environment fare first huh? Begorrah if they build social and affordable we might end up pals :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement