Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If I have been following the plot of this particular soap opera correctly SF didn't actually want to be in govt because they are frit or something so surely in that case they are delighted to be safe on the opposition benches where Leo claimed he wanted to be but that was after Micheál implied he would be open to asking Mary-Lou if she would be open to possibly getting into the Dáil together but then the count came in and ...
    feck it - I need to watch the omnibus edition to try and work it out.

But sure don't we all know that at the next election S.F. are going to sweep the boards and get an overall majority. With candidates like Violet and Paddy Holohan the country will rally to them

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but what's the relationship between FG and Michael Collins? He was dead before the party was even founded? Was he not a member of Sinn Féin?
    Wake wakey

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Dara Callerely for Agriculture or Rural Affairs

Dara Callerely for Agriculture or Rural Affairs
    Or even Dara Calleary

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Yea him too!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Strong argument for two women, Humphreys and McEntee most likely

We must remember the seat numbers. FF have the upper hand also someone was saying Paschal applied for a spot over in europe. Although wouldn't be the first FG'er to balance two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Edgware wrote: »
    But sure don't we all know that at the next election S.F. are going to sweep the boards and get an overall majority. With candidates like Violet and Paddy Holohan the country will rally to them

Hey no spoilers. :mad:

There's an awful lot of trolley watches and counting homeless people to get through first.

Micheal collins was pro anglo irish treaty and FG claimed his heritage as FF were tradionally anti-treaty (as well as some dubius claims about law and order)

Its founder oduffy (of blueshirt fame),went on to become an alcoholic,and didnt last 12 months as leader of his own party,

Always been a peculiar lot,with a unique ability to rub people up,the wrong way and hamerroage votes

They were all Sinn Fein. Then they split over the Treaty. Pro-Treaty became Cumann na nGaedheal and, with the backing of the defunct Irish Unionist Alliance, were govt of Free State form 1923-1932.

Anti-Treaty side were still Sinn Fein and abstained from Dáil until Dev changed his mind and decided he wanted to be in gov and founded Fianna Fail - most of SF followed him. 1932 FF won GE.

1933 Cumann na nGaedheal amalgamated with The National Centre Party (conservative farmers mostly) and The National Guard (literally fascists) to form FG.

SF went through so many splits after that you'd need a flow chart to explain it. The word 'stickies' would appear frequently.

Hey no spoilers. :mad:

There's an awful lot of trolley watches and counting homeless people to get through first.

That's the caring attitude wins Fine Gael so many votes.

Bowie wrote: »
    That's the caring attitude wins Fine Gael so many votes.

Perhaps it's because they are so binary in their thinking?
    Used to be if not FG then ya hafta to be FF.
    Now it's if not FG (+FF) than ya hafta be SF.

Can't seem to grasp that there are other options. Maybe it's not lack of caring but a lack of open minded imagination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,045 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know ministers haven't been selected yet but tomorrow afternoon it won't be that hard to work them out as I'm sure the media will know who has left the convention centre back to government buildings. I assume the FF minister/FG or green junior minister and vice versa will the way things go ? It's a way of ensuring all three parties get a fair shake in shaping policy in as many depts as possible.

Perhaps it's because they are so binary in their thinking?
    Used to be if not FG then ya hafta to be FF.
    Now it's if not FG (+FF) than ya hafta be SF.

Can't seem to grasp that there are other options. Maybe it's not lack of caring but a lack of open minded imagination?

It's the attitude.
    You might recall all the SF troubles/IRA talk in the run up to the election. And compare that to 2011. Back then FF were the worst thing in the world. But good enough to partner with unofficially. The best thing about SF is they shook FF and FG. People see there's options, viable options. Even if you don't vote SF theres elsewhere to go and FF/FG are ****ting themselves IMO. Proof? FF and FG going into government together.
    They are likely hoping the whole SF thing will blow over. And it might but it's in the books now, FF and FG are the same in the eyes of the electorate. They've likely split their vote. I mean it's likely an end to the days of as you say if not FF then you have to go FG.
    In the least they'll need to start earning their wages. No more turn in government by default which is all FG ever had. Waiting in the wings for their smarter more popular brother FF to mess up.
    Its apparent by the reams of posters on here more obsessed with getting digs in on SF than discussing their own parties or their policies. Everytime they mention shiners out of the blue it shows the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

We must remember the seat numbers. FF have the upper hand also someone was saying Paschal applied for a spot over in europe. Although wouldn't be the first FG'er to balance two ;)

Is not a position that would take him away from politics here. He would be heading up the EU Finance Ministers but would still be Minister here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

McMurphy wrote: »
    You've been predicting the imminent political demise of SF since forever blanch, last time I checked - they've now, in 2020 got more elected TDs in the Dail than FG.

I will treat your predictions, with the same rigour I place in Russel Grants tarot card readings.

1_Russell-Grant-interview.jpg

I'm a Virgo btw.

No posts about your betting today?

Do people outside Dublin not heat their homes or something?

I didn’t know the government had control of people’s thermostats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I didn’t know the government had control of people’s thermostats?

You will soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

It's the attitude.
    You might recall all the SF troubles/IRA talk in the run up to the election. And compare that to 2011. Back then FF were the worst thing in the world. But good enough to partner with unofficially. The best thing about SF is they shook FF and FG. People see there's options, viable options. Even if you don't vote SF theres elsewhere to go and FF/FG are ****ting themselves IMO. Proof? FF and FG going into government together.
    They are likely hoping the whole SF thing will blow over. And it might but it's in the books now, FF and FG are the same in the eyes of the electorate. They've likely split their vote. I mean it's likely an end to the days of as you say if not FF then you have to go FG.
    In the least they'll need to start earning their wages. No more turn in government by default which is all FG ever had. Waiting in the wings for their smarter more popular brother FF to mess up.
    Its apparent by the reams of posters on here more obsessed with getting digs in on SF than discussing their own parties or their policies. Everytime they mention shiners out of the blue it shows the fear.

Shinnerbots talking about other TDs having to earn their wages, the irony

You will soon.

Why have they passed a new law?

I think they should call it the Daddy thermostat law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Why have they passed a new law?

I think they should call it the Daddy thermostat law

No its the be green or dig one.

It's the attitude.

Why would anyone fear SF? As I said after Feb I wanted them to take over because at least we would only have 12 month of listening to SFbots like yourself before it all fell to s**t and we could get the politicians back into power

Seems SF seen the same issue so legged it....more fear in SF than with anyone else in Ireland.....

The politicians took over anyway and we now have a government. No need to fear SF, with the likes of Violet Anne and plenty more in ranks I fully expect them to shoot themselves in the foot so many times over the next 5 years they will be no longer the revolt voters option.....just a problem England have to deal with it North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No posts about your betting today?

I have a bet on that there'll be more than one election in 2020.

It is not even July yet, still another 50% of 2020 to go, with an extremely flaky hobbled together govt.

Any posts from yourself about FG TDs that don't represent Dundalk, or automatically retained seats for the Ceann Comhairle?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with as many posts in political threads who didn't have a scaldy balls notion what they were talking about before tbh. :D

It is not even July yet, still another 50% of 2020 to go, with an extremely flaky hobbled together govt.

Any posts from yourself about FG TDs that don't represent Dundalk, or automatically retained seats for the Ceann Comhairle?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with as many posts in political threads who didn't have a scaldy balls notion what they were talking about before tbh. :D

I would respond but based on previous you go crying to mods....

I would respond but based on previous you go crying to mods....

Remember that time I gave you advice about putting some forethought into your posts before making a fool of yourself?

That advice still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Remember that time I gave you advice about putting some forethought into your posts before making a fool of yourself?

That advice still stands.

SF don't care about their voters. They didn't even try to get into power. Never forget.

The Dail will adjourn soon until late September and between then and Christmas there will be about 8 weeks of Dail activity. Say goodbye to your bet.
    If you are at the seaside and see a boat in the distance it's the one Sinn Fein have missed

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Congrats to FF and FG and the Greens.

Not the result I thought would happen but equally fascinating.

A marriage made in heaven or hell?

Absolutely willing as a democrat to give them a fair wind and see how they go.

The Dail will adjourn soon until late September and between then and Christmas there will be about 8 weeks of Dail activity. Say goodbye to your bet.
    If you are at the seaside and see a boat in the distance it's the one Sinn Fein have missed

Only bet what you can afford to lose, some win some don't, keeps the antics within (and sometimes outside) D.E all the more interesting.

First potential road bump could be the Siteserv inquiry publication which is due to be released before 30th June, so that means Mon or Tues.

Could be the first rift within the new FFG coalition if it reveals anyone having been behaving inappropriately.

Too much sense in that post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Shinners will not mind.

They are now the 2nd party.

• Advertisement

Only bet what you can afford to lose, some win some don't, keeps the antics within (and sometimes outside) D.E all the more interesting.

First potential road bump could be the Siteserv inquiry publication which is due to be released before 30th June, so that means Mon or Tues.

Could be the first rift within the new FFG coalition if it reveals anyone having been behaving inappropriately.

Still grasping at straws

Tell you what, why don’t you put a bet on it and tell us EVERY day about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement