Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Congrats to FF and FG and the Greens.

Not the result I thought would happen but equally fascinating.

A marriage made in heaven or hell?

Absolutely willing as a democrat to give them a fair wind and see how they go.

Very Gracious:)
    I'd ask the same question myself tbf.
    It'd be a cabinet room to be a fly on the wall in I'd say.
    I wish them well too though. We need a strong no infighting govt for a while at least, getting the country moving again is a challenge and infighting would only distract from that so hopefully all will go to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Strong argument for two women, Humphreys and McEntee most likely

Ridiculous if Humphreys stays just to make it look good having a woman in the job, I'd rate her abilities just above Mitchell O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well I'm definitely no fan of the Greens or FF, but having said all that, we finally have a majority government for the first time in 4 1/2 years.

That's a very positive thing, it means things can actually get done now. With the outgoing government, we had one that was in office but not in power, so Brexit aside, absolutely nothing got done. It would have been much better for the country as a whole had FF just agreed to going in with FG in 2016, it would have been a very solid majority that wouldn't have been constantly looking over its shoulder and wondering about winning votes.

Also, 50.2% of people did vote for one of the three parties above - so that is a majority of the electorate.

At the very least we must wish them well, we owe them a fair hearing and let's hope they do deliver some (but definitely not all) of the change they promised in the Programme for Government. Let's hope they can get people back to work - and soon. If they can make the impending recession a lot shorter and less painful on the people than the original projections were, then that will be a success in and of itself (although as FG's handling of the economy shows, they will get absolutely no credit whatsoever from the electorate for this - but it still needs to be done).

Maybe, just maybe, they will get some credit from the electorate in 2025 if they make significant inroads on housing and health - and maybe it's not inevitable that the Shinners will be in power then. Also, perhaps people will finally start asking the question about who does really want to go into power - look at how Labour, SF, Soc Dems etc ran straight for the hills? Are they really the type of parties we want to be voting for?

Whatever else you can say about the Greens, at least they've shown they've got the courage to go into power - and after all the talk and all the hysteria by some of their more prominent members on social media, their grassroots actually backed it by the highest margin of all three parties! They deserve credit for that. So do FF and FG, too.

The danger in looking at past elections is in assuming that it will be the same every time and that it is already a foregone conclusion that FF, FG and the Greens will be decimated in 2025. If Joe Biden wins the Presidential Election on a campaign of 'normalcy' and getting some degree of normality back into US Politics, perhaps there is hope for the more sensible centre ground, and that the kind of radical change on both the extremes on the left and right want will take a break for a while? Nothing is certain in politics any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Onward and upwards? Fianna Fáil? In 13 years, they've gone from 41% to 24% in elections. Today they have 15% in opinion polls.
    But still managed to get into government. I'd call that good politics!

Ridiculous if Humphreys stays just to make it look good having a woman in the job, I'd rate her abilities just above Mitchell O Connor.
    Humphreys has been good in her brief during this, calm and firm to boot. Is it the accent that bothers you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

Will they all be wearing masks in the CC today?

Will they all be wearing masks in the CC today?
    Probably not. They're using it as you can social distance with 160+ in there. It'll be short anyway. A vote for government and then it'll be all over before lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

is_that_so wrote: »
    But still managed to get into government. I'd call that good politics!

It doesn't detract from the point that FF are in very serious trouble.

FF TDs say that themselves.

The polls consistently show most FF support Is over 70 and rural Leinster and Munster.

Under 60s, in Dublin etc it's going to have to work hard to avoid being 3rd party, or 4th in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Danzy wrote: »

The polls consistently show most FF support Is over 70 and rural Leinster and Munster.

Under 60s, in Dublin etc it's going to have to work hard to avoid being 3rd party, or 4th in Dublin.

A good term in government and all will be forgotten.

The core vote is still strong no matter what SF try to tell people.

No argument there, which is why they need this to work more than the other two. They also need to figure away to reinvent themselves. The fact that they still have a decent number of councillors suggests that's the place to start.

• Advertisement

No argument there, which is why they need this to work more than the other two. They also need to figure away to reinvent themselves. The fact that they still have a decent number of councillors suggests that's the place to start.

Most of the TD's complaining at the moment are too old, dump them. They have done a good job regenerating the party but some of the current ones need to be gone

Anyone that mentioned they should "consider" SF should be fired on the spot out the door.

Replacing Micheál with someone who has no connection with their last time in Government will help, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Humphreys has been good in her brief during this, calm and firm to boot. Is it the accent that bothers you?

Humphreys has been an extremely competent minister. I’d be very surprised if she doesn’t retain a senior ministry in the new Government.

Humphreys has been an extremely competent minister. I’d be very surprised if she doesn’t retain a senior ministry in the new Government.

Completely agree. She's been very impressive in any brief she's held, but her talents have really shone through during the pandemic and all the supports she's given for businesses.

Gender quotas or not she deserves to be kept. I would definitely promote Helen McEntee, too. Then the other four for FG should be Varadkar, Donohue and Coveney obviously, and I really hope Harris is retained as a Senior Minister. I like Richard Bruton, and he is very competent, but he has been around for a long time, and it's time for some younger and fresher faces at the top.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most of the TD's complaining at the moment are too old, dump them. They have done a good job regenerating the party but some of the current ones need to be gone

Anyone that mentioned they should "consider" SF should be fired on the spot out the door.
    Yeah, politically they do need to stop the SF will save us mode. I agree on the older TDs, their time is up but that's true across all political entities. What they need to do as a party is to identify and prepare decent quality candidates for the next election, whether it's from the best of the councillors or talent they can attract from elsewhere.

Replacing Micheál with someone who has no connection with their last time in Government will help, too.
    I think that's a question for "Phase 2" of government. Until now, none of the putative replacements had any government experience and this will help them form an orderly queue to oust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but what's the relationship between FG and Michael Collins? He was dead before the party was even founded? Was he not a member of Sinn Féin?

As per other posters , goes back to civil war background to both parties. Back in the 70's FG had developed a weird cult around him as a military genius and war hero. Big mistake in my view. Involved in war of independence which if the truth be told was a sordid murder capaign on unarmed victims - many of them Irish After that he was involved in a nasty civil war. Think in recent decades they have wisely moved on and focused on providing a functional state as best they can

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Oh SF, get that moaner OBroin off the TV today. It's a historic day so let FF and FG form the government.

Bowie wrote: »
    That's the caring attitude wins Fine Gael so many votes.

Yes indeed they lack the care and compassion that muderers, bombmakers and toturers bring to the party - and indeed the wisdom and finesse of Angus O'Snodaigh and Mary Lou

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Starting with the terminally irrelevant Eamonn O'Cuiv still fratically whipping up support from people who cannot vote for him because they are dead

• Advertisement

Truthvader wrote: »
    Starting with the terminally irrelevant Eamonn O'Cuiv still fratically whipping up support from people who cannot vote for him because they are dead

The SF lads on here want him....let them have him

He would probably end up second in command in SF, the rest of them are that useless :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Edgware wrote: »
    The Dail will adjourn soon until late September and between then and Christmas there will be about 8 weeks of Dail activity. Say goodbye to your bet.
    If you are at the seaside and see a boat in the distance it's the one Sinn Fein have missed

If you see the boat sinking that will be the shipwreck that will be this Gov. Ff and fg have done nothing more then a circle the wagons job and have used the greens for a few extra wagons . Tax hikes,pay cuts,carbon taxes, protests and strikes is my prediction of this government. The greens have been used by ff and fg but greens will pull the plug eventually and move their wagons out to try to save their own skins. That's my prediction and i won't be surprised if I'm not far off the mark.

Billcarson wrote: »
    If you see the boat sinking that will be the shipwreck that will be this Gov. Ff and fg have done nothing more then a circle the wagons job and have used the greens for a few extra wagons . Tax hikes,pay cuts,carbon taxes, protests and strikes is my prediction of this government. The greens have been used by ff and fg but greens will pull the plug eventually and move their wagons out to try to save their own skins. That's my prediction and i won't be surprised if I'm not far off the mark.

You can’t beat the positive nature of some of the population.....

Tell you what, stick this comment as your signature and let see if it happens??

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »

:):)

26% of the party are against the deal. He is hardly alone therefore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be shocked if this government even lasts 18 months. Be intetesting to see who turns on who first. I reckon FG will throw the Greens and FF under the bus first.

Sf to lead a majority goverment within the next 3 years is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Oh SF, get that moaner OBroin off the TV today. It's a historic day so let FF and FG form the government.

Did he mention change?

:):)

26% of the party are against the deal. He is hardly alone therefore.

Well according to SF that’s a majority

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Thank God someone in FF did maths in primary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I was impressed with O'Broin on Morning Ireland today.

First he condemned the SF clowns who nominated Paddy the Moron for Mayor of SDCC.

Then he promised that SF would provide constructive opposition (!!!) - I'll reserve judgement on that one for the time being. But I hope that he cleared it with Pearse Motormouth and Louise O'Reilly first.

And finally he promised that SF would be the most effective opposition in the history of the State. Which led me to wonder whether, if SF delivers on that commitment, it could be granted the title of permanent opposition in perpetuity. It's a role that they appear to be very well equipped to perform without any additional training being required - apart perhaps from a bit of cop-on for David Cullinane.

Perhaps a Constitutional Amendment to that effect could be introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Shinners will not mind.

They are now the 2nd party.

So we keep hearing. It will really make a difference over the next five years. What I am looking forward to is the SF front bench. Take away 3/4 reasonable performers and the rest
    will give us more entertainment than Fossetts Circus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

McMurphy wrote: »
    Only bet what you can afford to lose, some win some don't, keeps the antics within (and sometimes outside) D.E all the more interesting.

First potential road bump could be the Siteserv inquiry publication which is due to be released before 30th June, so that means Mon or Tues.

Could be the first rift within the new FFG coalition if it reveals anyone having been behaving inappropriately.

The report will be a damp squib partly because it has been rushed and is incomplete and also because Fatso Murphy refused to cooperate with it having abused Dail privilege to have it set up in the first place. €34 million of taxpayers' moolah flushed down the Swanee and people still vote for that stammering con merchant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement