Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Are the Sinn Fein mics not working ? Obviously they are saying nil but I'm certainly not hearing.

Probably another conspiracy against them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

FG TD's voting for a FF Taoiseach...historic day in many ways.

You really are sucking on those lemons today Francie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭This is it

Are the Sinn Fein mics not working ? Obviously they are saying nil but I'm certainly not hearing.

They're turning them on too late, you'd think they'd have the list! Haven't heard half of them since the start

• Registered Users Posts: 40,045 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This is it wrote: »
    They're turning them on too late, you'd think they'd have the list! Haven't heard half of them since the start

Okay because you'd think they'd have sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Healy Raes, PBP and Sinn Fein.
    The highest quality opposition in European history?

Labour in fairness will have a chance to show leadership in opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You really are sucking on those lemons today Francie :P

My second favoured outcome is happening in front of me. No lemons at all Shef.

Unless you can point to another occasion in 100 years where FG voted for a FF Taoiseach then saying it is a historic day is factually correct.

We will have to wait to see who Verona Murphy voted for because it wasn't picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

We will have to wait to see who Verona Murphy voted for because it wasn't picked up.

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1276844885493022722

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

After months and months of this forum been plagued by a few SF supporters 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.....today is a joy to behold and suddenly they are very very very quiet

At last democracy at work and the politicians finally get their chance to fight back to all the bluster

I have no skin in this game (not Ireland based) and no SF fan, but surely democracy as you call it was when SF substantially increased their vote and the electorate rejected the bigger parties? Fair enough not wanting such a party near the levers of power, but democracy? Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I voted SF #1 & the Greens #2 in the last election, but that doesn't mean that I'm rooting for this government to fail. Any government that does its best and doesn't shaft the most vulnerable in society is fine by me. Obviously I'm sceptical, but I would only be delighted to be proven wrong.

I genuinely don't understand how some people are so invested in the actual political parties themselves. Surely the only thing that should matter is a party's representatives and their policies? All of this talk regarding the civil war/the Blueshirts/the IRA is boring af. It's time to move on.

You voted Sinn Fein No 1 on the basis of their representatives and their policies?

Their representatives?? Either thugs or mentally handicapped - often both

Their policies?? "Change". Certainly Sir , would you like a two Euro or 4 fifty cents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It's funny surely and historic.
    Has a sitting Taoiseach ever voted himself out of office in favour of another party leader before?
    I suppose if it stays intact then in 2 years MM will do the same.
    This is change I think, there is a sense of surrealism today.

Just returning the recent favour.

It's funny surely and historic.
    Has a sitting Taoiseach ever voted himself out of office in favour of another party leader before?
    I suppose if it stays intact then in 2 years MM will do the same.
    This is change I think, there is a sense of surrealism today.

The fact an election for Taoiseach not happening in the dail chamber is surreal in itself.

fr336 wrote: »
    I have no skin in this game (not Ireland based) and no SF fan, but surely democracy as you call it was when SF substantially increased their vote and the electorate rejected the bigger parties? Fair enough not wanting such a party near the levers of power, but democracy? Hmm.

Seems you need to get a bit of eduation on what democracy is

SF got a vote, they had a chance to join with other parties and as Labour said they ran away and hid

76% of the vote didnt vote for SF.

As I posted to Francie already, seats win prizes and the government now will have the most seats and represent the most people in Ireland.

Is that not democracy is?

Standing in the sidelines taking s**t about "change" while doing nothing to reward the people who voted for you shows exactly what SF are, a group of cowards. Too scared to go into government. Easier to let someone else do it while they throw snide comments from the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is it the first time that a party with the most TD's didn't get into government?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Agreed they might actually manage a proper left wing alternative if the distraction of Sinn Fein and PBP etc disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Seems you need to get a bit of eduation on what democracy is

SF got a vote, they had a chance to join with other parties and as Labour said they ran away and hid

76% of the vote didnt vote for SF.

As I posted to Francie already, seats win prizes and the government now will have the most seats and represent the most people in Ireland.

Is that not democracy is?

Standing in the sidelines taking s**t about "change" while doing nothing to reward the people who voted for you shows exactly what SF are, a group of cowards. Too scared to go into government. Easier to let someone else do it while they throw snide comments from the sidelines.

No no, all you say is right and I know far too little about Irish politics to say much more. However I find it slightly disingenous to say that this is a true delivery of democracy - SF surged and FF / FG retreated in the polls. That the two main parties are now going into government together - well as a Brit (with Irish family) I can't get my head around it. Labour and the Tories getting together would be our comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Majority of 30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

As will the Social Democrats. They have more integrity than FF + FG + SF + Labour.

Is it the first time that a party with the most TD's didn't get into government?

FF got 38 seats. SF got 37.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SF didn't get the most TDs. FF did.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FF rehabilitation is complete.

Well done to all involved. I hope it will be worth it.

Well Leo can relax now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mary Lou looks like a child sulking.

FF rehabilitation is complete.

Well done to all involved. I hope it will be worth it.

FG facilitated the forgiveness of FF by being as arrogant, corrupt and fond of the gravy train as them (think Phil Hogan, Dara Murphy, Bailey, Farrell, Mulherin etc).

Enda Kenny also should take a lot of the blame.

fr336 wrote: »
    No no, all you say is right and I know far too little about Irish politics to say much more. However I find it slightly disingenous to say that this is a true delivery of democracy - SF surged and FF / FG retreated in the polls. That the two main parties are now going into government together - well as a Brit (with Irish family) I can't get my head around it. Labour and the Tories getting together would be our comparison.

Ireland biggest issue is we have a huge amount of independents in government who are useless and do nothing in the good of the country.

They are great to sit down and drink a pint, shake hands at a funeral but do nothing to support changes in HSE/housing/social welfare etc.

We should throw them all out and then at least we would have TD's who are aligned with a political party and actually have an agenda to jhelp the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Mary Lou looks like a child sulking.

Lets face it. It can't be easy for her.

A solid election result but nothing to show for it at all except bravado. It could be a long five years til the next election and Pearse D. isn't going to wait forever.

Jesus another Healy Ray but this time actually making quite a good point to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭robwen

Christ LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

93-63

Based on the Sinn Fein logic that their votes count double or triple and no one else's votes really matter that's a resounding vote against the new government. Mary Lou will probably be skipping out a side door and heading to the Park before Micheal 🀣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement