Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

More people cycle to work in Dublin than use DART, Luas and suburban rail combined. And that's with fairly appalling levels of provision to date.

We need to provide facilities so that cycling is safe for everyone. This will have considerable public health benefits, transport chaos benefits and environmental benefits.

For sure. More public transport for cities.

How many hundred thousand people commute daily from Kildare, Meath ,Wicklow? They wont be cycling to work in the capital.
    How about the rest of the country?
    A cycle lane from Ennis to Eyre square maybe or from Castlebar into Galway city centre.
    Any number of examples that spending 1.8 billion on cycling infrastructure wont fix.

An absolute cluster fûck waste of taxpayers money just to get the greens on board .
    1 million euro a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More people cycle to work in Dublin than use DART, Luas and suburban rail combined. And that's with fairly appalling levels of provision to date.

We need to provide facilities so that cycling is safe for everyone. This will have considerable public health benefits, transport chaos benefits and environmental benefits.
    Well the DART alone was about 90K passengers a day in 2018 so please provide a link to this ludicrous looking claim. 90K cyclists would leave no room for anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

How many hundred thousand people commute daily from Kildare, Meath ,Wicklow? They wont be cycling to work in the capital.
    A cycle lane from Ennis to Eyre square maybe or from Castlebar into Galway city centre.
    Any number of examples that spending 1.8 billion on cycling infrastructure wont fix.

An absolute cluster fûck waste of taxpayers money just to get the greens on board .
    1 million euro a day!

You'd swear that this expenditure on cycling and pedestrian infrastructure was the sum total of anticipated transport expenditure. Don't worry, roads and motorised public transport will still get the overwhelming bulk of the expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Imagine using Mort's phrase as an excuse for not paying your mortgage. :)

The judge:

judge-looking-incredulous-picture-id537861442?k=6&m=537861442&s=170667a&w=0&h=vit1PspLVk3CHifO9KL9mCAD0mVraz1Drxmoa3iT5E4=

You don't adhere to a contract, you have legal consequences
    However even though you have a zealousy for devaluing the word lie,I hope you are not calling people who lose their houses in this way liars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Norma got the call up! 3 to go...

Dara Calleary next.. 2 to go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I would tend to agree about the Independents.

I disagree that either FG or FF have the right to declare another party as 'unfit' to be in govt. Disagree with their policies, attack their polices absolutely.
    But to place themselves as judges based on a long over conflict (esp given their own histories) is reprehensible. If the DUP can work with SF so the least FF and FG could do is talk to them.
    I agree FG and SF are incompatible btw. But a deal between FF and SF would have been possible.
    We'll never know though as FF didn't respect the mandate SF received.

I fully expect that in years to come SF will replace FF, much as FF once replaced SF.
    FF lost their way when Haughey came to power and openly became a party of dodgy deals and backhanders.
    SF will take the place occupied by the Lemass era FF on the centre left but without the pro/anti treaty baggage that should have long been ditched.
    And I still won't be voting SF :D

The DUP don’t work with SF, they have done nothing to improve the quality of life in the North. They shut down the government for 3 years while they bickered. The SF fans here even struggle to come up with development SF have done in north with DUP.
    FF and FG know that if they joined with SF their core voters would walk away, I would not support FF again if they joined with SF

It might come as a surprise but a huge part of this country despise SF and everything about them. Those people are also FF and FG voters

I said it here multiple times. If this failed and MM brought SF to the table FF would be dead in the morning. Some voters might stay but I would expect 90+% would leave and move to alternative

Are you saying we should shut down those voices because of 24% of a vote in an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Pity for you that government don't tailor public policy just to what you want.

Why not, more ev charging points and even ev driving lanes maybe, might encourage more people, to buy ev's.
    Public transport capacity has been at least halved if not more, who knows, how long that will last.
    Perhaps a rejig of where the money is spent needs, to be on the cards.

You'd swear that this expenditure on cycling and pedestrian infrastructure was the sum total of anticipated transport expenditure. Don't worry, roads and motorised public transport will still get the overwhelming bulk of the expenditure.

And so they should. Roads need to be maintained and upgraded consistently.

1.8 billion spent on cycling infrastructure has no major impact. Its money down the drain.
    Money that could be spent elsewhere. Money that we as a nation dont have.

People will still need to travel from the commuter counties. This goes for all of our cities. Cycling 30km to work and home again on a track beside the motorway. Stop the lights. Can you imagine it. It's not real but if the idea is to get people out of their cars then isn't that where the money should be spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,046 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Norma got the call up! 3 to go...

Did she ? That was being hinted at on the wireless during the week alright so do we know what portfolio she's gotten ? First time TD getting a call up might not go down well with some of the long time FF TDs but she's proposed him both times and sure the well of the dail chamber could be the pitch and the seats the hogan stand and as much as I hate to say it, Kerry people are well used to talking in Dublin from a height.

1 million euro a day!

There was hundreds of millions of euro announced last year for 2 road projects: one in Mayo that will benefit a few thousand people and one in Limerick to build a fancy bypass for the Ryder Cup in Adare. Were you outraged about that? Zero benefit to all those commuters in Kildare, Meath and Wicklow that you're so concerned about.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did she ? That was being hinted at on the wireless during the week alright so do we know what portfolio she's gotten ? First time TD getting a call up might not go down well with some of the long time FF TDs but she's proposed him both times and sure the well of the dail chamber could be the pitch and the seats the hogan stand and as much as I hate to say it, Kerry people are well used to talking in Dublin from a height.

Yup, she did! No word yet re her portfolio. Foley, Calleary, O'Brien & McGrath thus far. Haha my apologies but I don't quite understand what you mean. Fair play to her though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

There was hundreds of millions of euro announced last year for 2 road projects: one in Mayo that will benefit a few thousand people and one in Limerick to build a fancy bypass for the Ryder Cup in Adare. Were you outraged about that? Zero benefit to all those commuters in Kildare, Meath and Wicklow that you're so concerned about.

The whole country wants a big fancy road for nobody to drive on, look at the limerick to cork road people going on about, the number of people that drive on it are tiny. They have a train line and don’t use it. Put them on the train if they want to commute

The wastage on road is huge and in most cases has now become pointless

Great getting traffic extra quick to Dublin to then sit in a traffic jam

Yup, she did! No word yet re her portfolio. Foley, Calleary, O'Brien & McGrath thus far. Haha my apologies but I don't quite understand what you mean. Fair play to her though!

Kerry footballers are no strangers to making speeches in Croke park was my point hence why I said Kerry people.

But it will benefit anyone and everyone who wants to use the road though won't it.

1.8 billion on a pet project for eamonn Ryan is insanity. Especially at this time. I can pretty much guarantee not even a fifth of that spending will come to fruition.
    Keep a keen eye out for where this money is supposedly going to be spent. Where this infrastructure will be built. A few walking tracks up a hill maybe. A complete overhaul of towns, Cities and a cycling network? Not a hope in hell

Getting back to normal economic activity, stability and growth is priority number 1 and will be for the foreseeable future.

Stephen Donnelly!! What a plot twist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The DUP don’t work with SF, they have done nothing to improve the quality of life in the North. They shut down the government for 3 years while they bickered. The SF fans here even struggle to come up with development SF have done in north with DUP.
    FF and FG know that if they joined with SF their core voters would walk away, I would not support FF again if they joined with SF

It might come as a surprise but a huge part of this country despise SF and everything about them. Those people are also FF and FG voters

I said it here multiple times. If this failed and MM brought SF to the table FF would be dead in the morning. Some voters might stay but I would expect 90+% would leave and move to alternative

Are you saying we should shut down those voices because of 24% of a vote in an election?

The DUP wouldn't work with anybody ffs

Stephen Donnelly!! What a plot twist.

Give him Health. He has an opinion on and solution for everything so let's see him sort that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

robwen wrote: »
    If FF are taking the housing & health portfolios you kinda have to say fair play to Martin he's putting his money where his mouth is, it's a fair gamble on the future of FF

Most people would say Martin is a complete fool, so intent on becoming taoisech that he would sacrifice his own political party and the people of the country.

Look where his mouth has got him before. How many time has he talked himself onto a corner.

FG must be laughing their heads off this morning.
    The have Martin agree to take on housing and health, and Eamon Ryan agreeing to take on transport and the environment, and not one single guarantee of any funding for either in the program for government.
    What difficult departments have FG taken on. None.
    They will cling on to the finance dept to ensure FF and the Greens dont spend too much money, (they will want tax cuts just before the next GE),

The reason why Eoghan Murphy was so sh!te at his job was that FG never gave him any money to spend. His budget amounted to enough to repaint and renovate a few old council homes that had been left empty. Of course they looked after their business friends by renting out apartment block at extortionate rates instead of building them which would have been cheaper.

In a few years time ( I cant see this government lasting 5 year) there will be a new GE, and we will hear how FF did such a bad job in housing and health and the Greens couldnt even deal with the environment that they are supposed to be experts on. Sadly it will be true because neither party guaranteed that the money would be there for them to actually do the job properly.
    THe green party will be destroyed, FF will lose yet more seats, and it will be a punch up between FG and SF as to who forms the next government.

The whole country wants a big fancy road for nobody to drive on, look at the limerick to cork road people going on about, the number of people that drive on it are tiny. They have a train line and don’t use it. Put them on the train if they want to commute

The wastage on road is huge and in most cases has now become pointless

Great getting traffic extra quick to Dublin to then sit in a traffic jam

If only everyone would cycle 30 km a day each way to work. Hundreds of thousands of bicycles on a brand new track running parallel to an empty Motorway

Give him Health. He has an opinion on and solution for everything so let's see him sort that one out.

I would imagine you're right. Surely Anne Rabbitte will get the final ministry??

• Advertisement

But it will benefit anyone and everyone who wants to use the road though won't it.

1.8 billion on a pet project for eamonn Ryan is insanity. Especially at this time. I can pretty much guarantee not even a fifth of that spending will come to fruition.
    Keep a keen eye out for where this money is supposedly going to be spent. Where this infrastructure will be built. A few walking tracks up a hill maybe. A complete overhaul of towns, Cities and a cycling network? Not a hope in hell

Getting back to normal economic activity, stability and growth is priority number 1 and will be for the foreseeable future.

Zero benefit to those commuters in Dublin you are so concerned about. Seems to me you're in support of roads spending regardless and against anything else outside of roads. Fair enough but at least be upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would imagine you're right. Surely Anne Rabbitte will get the final ministry??

Barry Cowen or Thomas Byrne I'd say, more likely the former

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Helen McEntee in at Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭antimatterx

McEntee in Justice apparently.

Barry Cowen or Thomas Byrne I'd say

You're right! Cowen has it.

Seems Helen McEntee will be in the cabinet which is a good move. I think she did well in regards to Europe and brexit especially during one radio 4 interview where she stuck to her guns.

McEntee in Justice is exciting, I must say. It should have been Jim O'C though. (My last J'OC post, I promise)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McEntee in Justice is exciting, I must say. It should have been Jim O'C though. (My last J'OC post, I promise)

He'll certainly think so. Anyone know Dara Calleary's gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Truthvader wrote: »
    I do not want to cycle

Did anyone suggest it is going to be compulsory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

FF are already dead party walking.
    They struggled on after the catastrophe they caused with light touch regulation and blanket bank bailout. Lost dearly when they agreed to support FG but without taking any responsibility. And now they have demonstrated that they are, indeed, compatible with FG. The 'republican' party got into bed with the 'Free State' party nearly 100 years after the events that caused the original SF split into those 2 ideologically similar but for one small detail factions.
    They have left the left of centre republican space free for SF.

FG have out played FF. The pro-Treaty side won again :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement