Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sorry now but you're talking nonsense. There are 8 connections from Cork to Limerick on a daily basis. 2 of the 8 are under 2 hours and the other 6 have an average time of 2hr45m. Total average of the 8 is 2hr27m. Substantially slower than the road. A road which completely unsuitable and very dangerous in places.

You have to switch in Limerick Junction and wait for on average over 1hr. 2 daily trains have a wait of about 15 minutes. The other 6 are well over an hour. Not very attractive now is it?

Yes existing, but it shows even without investment it can be done in 1.45 which is similar and safer to a car. With investment that could be 1 hour

Put in direct trains etc....

The lack of vision is alarming, are people really this closed minded to change? If it doesn’t involve sitting in a car people seem to have a huge fear factor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Hildegard Naughton - FG super junior
    Widely touted and good call IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Congratulations to the NEW Government .!! . Never so many MINISTERS , JUNIOR MINISTERS , and of course SUPER JUNIOR MINISTERS . The TROUGH gets bigger and BIGGER . I never thought Id say this ---- I will vote for the SHINNERS next time . !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I expect that to increase as Greens said they want to upgrade the current BTW scheme

Didn't bicycles just get more expensive to absorb the BTW subsidy when it was introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pippa Hackett - Super junior minister in agriculture with responsibility for land use + biodiversity! Random

Who's she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

He hasn't been spectacular as Fianna Fáil Housing Spokesperson either. No housing policy produced in four years.

Darragh O'Brien role as FF housing spokesman has been overshadowed by SF's Eoin O'Brien whose utterances have increasingly taken on the mantle of the opposition.

Turn the last few years around an imagine if FF had the housing portfolio. Would their policies have differed that much from FG? In his attempts so far to display a separation from the FG approach, he has highlighted the affordable sale that is sorely needed, so perhaps we will see a move towards the promotion of that tenure rather than affordable rent.

Agree with previous posters, having both Health and Housing and their success or not, will determine FF's future.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Two points. Firstly who's pippa Hackett ? And second what mess of a junior ministry is that ? How much will that cost to put on letters ?
    She's Green, the portfolio title should have told you that! Can you actually imagine a Pippa in either of the other two?!

Didn't bicycles just get more expensive to absorb the BTW subsidy when it was introduced?

No

mountai wrote: »
    Congratulations to the NEW Government .!! . Never so many MINISTERS , JUNIOR MINISTERS , and of course SUPER JUNIOR MINISTERS . The TROUGH gets bigger and BIGGER . I never thought Id say this ---- I will vote for the SHINNERS next time . !!!

But early to predict voting?

Maybe this will be a roaring success, you still going to vote SF then?

Yes existing, but it shows even without investment it can be done in 1.45 which is similar and safer to a car. With investment that could be 1 hour

The lack of vision is alarming, are people really this closed minded to change? If it doesn’t involve sitting in a car people seem to have a huge fear factor

You're comparing a car journey which is end to end to a train journey from station to station. What about the time to get to the station and get to the destination at the other end - you're conveniently ignoring that.

By the way I'm a big advocate for public transport but let's get real, there is no link from Cork to Limerick. It's a piss poor service that would need huge investment to make worthwhile and actually useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,046 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah yeah sure just run direct trains somewhere between all the cork to Dublin trains and then limerick to limerick junction. Piece of cake except you can't go direct from cork to limerick by train otherwise it would already happen. The infrastructure doesn't allow it.

The lack of vision you say when you think you IR can put on direct trains between cork and limerick just like that.

If I may be so forward but do you live in either limerick or cork or anywhere between the two cities ?

is_that_so wrote: »
    She's Green, the portfolio title should have told you that! Can you actually imagine a Pippa in either of the other two?!

She might not have been a green. It's not wise to assume or presume things.

is_that_so wrote: »

She's a senator? When was the last senator to get a junior minister gig? The elected Green TDs left on the sideline won't be happy I'd imagine.

Ah yeah sure just run direct trains somewhere between all the cork to Dublin trains and then limerick to limerick junction. Piece of cake except you can't go direct from cork to limerick by train otherwise it would already happen. The infrastructure doesn't allow it.

The lack of vision you say when you think you IR can put on direct trains between cork and limerick just like that.

If I may be so forward but do you live in either limerick or cork or anywhere between the two cities ?

Infrastructure doesn’t allow it? So it’s impossible to connect train lines?

I don’t live in Limerick or Cork, I do travel to cork regular via train and I never noticed this backlog of trains you suggest are on the track?

How many billion is going to be spent on the road? How much would it cost to connect the lines?

Would some of those billion help open the train line to Navan which would cost 300m?

Sound like a plan?

She's a senator? When was the last senator to get a junior minister gig? The elected Green TDs left on the sideline won't be happy I'd imagine.

Well they were hardly going to give ministry's of any kind to TDs who actively campaigned to not go into government.

Well they were hardly going to give ministry's of any kind to TDs who actively campaigned to not go into government.

There are Green TDs who supported the PfG who have been overlooked in her favour. Odd one.

Well it's a government of two halves so they may get their chance. They'll get plenty of committee work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No, because the subsidy still isn't available to lots of buyers - teenagers, students, self employed people, retired people - it is focused on higher rate tax payers, not on the whole population.

It doesn't work for 'serious' cyclists either, as €1k doesn't get you far if you want to get into club cycling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dara Calleary will be disappointed at being overlooked for a full cabinet role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I'm shocked that MM made Calleary chief whip/super junior. What could the reason be? Is he watching his back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm shocked that MM made Calleary chief whip/super junior. What could the reason be? Is he watching his back?

Probably hoping that he is loyal enough not to make a big fuss over it. Which he probably won't, so a shrewd move.

Dara Calleary will be disappointed at being overlooked for a full cabinet role.

life is tough

that fella was overpromoted to ff front bench in the last days of cowen and did little since to disabuse anyone of that.

a party loyalist of limited capability if ever there was one

Infrastructure doesn’t allow it? So it’s impossible to connect train lines?

I don’t live in Limerick or Cork, I do travel to cork regular via train and I never noticed this backlog of trains you suggest are on the track?

How many billion is going to be spent on the road? How much would it cost to connect the lines?

Would some of those billion help open the train line to Navan which would cost 300m?

Sound like a plan?

The lines are connected obviously but not directly. You need to go to limerick junction to get to limerick.

Well then if you live in either place why the hell are you so stuck on this particular motorway ?

The railway to navan is already there it's just not used by passengers, it's used for freight.So again making statements that show a lack of understanding. You're asking to open up a line which exist already.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Plenty of jobs for the girls and boys who said yes. :)

More ministers than a World gsthering of Baptists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I think the one word you mentioned which is relevant is “existing”

Investing in the train will provide a better and more green transport option. As mentioned the numbers are less than 1% of the population so building a new motorway is a waste. A new train system can be used by tourist etc so a better investment

please stop and think this through.

There is no direct service between Cork and Limerick.

Many of the services do not even stop in Charleveille.

the vast majority of those commuting live no where near a station even if a service was provided.

You can't run slower commuter trains (because of stops) on the same track as fast intercity trains, unless you lay an additional track.

Even if you were in to increase the number of trains on existing lines the journey time would not be significantly less. (you might be able to reduce waiting between train at Limerick junction but that is all).

Even if you were to buy new trains and upgrade the stations to be able to handle additional trains, the vast majority of people using the N20 would still be using the N20.

You now have the problem of providing parking for those that would drive to stations or providing feeder busses to these stations.

Trains do not address the issue of HGV's and goods vehicles, going through small towns and villages.

If you want a commuter rail service from Limerick to Cork you are simply going to have to build a new rail line. At a minimum a brand new line from Charleville to Limerick city and a single additional track between Charleville and Cork so that intercity train can pass commuter trains. You would still have to build the bypasses for Charleville, Buttevant, Mallow and Ballybeg that were put on hold because building a M20 would negate the need for these.

Forget about your stupid 1% argument. 1% of people do not use the N11, M1, N2, N3, or N4. Yet these all needed major upgrades to stop gridlock in the towns and villages along them.
    Can you name a single road in the entire country where at least 1% of the population uses it every day, I very much doubt it.
    It's not about the percentage of population its about the capacity of that road to carry the traffic that is on it. Currently the N20 is way beyond its capacity (120+ %), which is why there is so many deaths on this road every single year and why there is serious traffic congestion in the towns and villages along it. I take it that people dying needlessly bothers you and you would want that to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cork south central now has the Taoiseach, minister for foreign affairs, and public expenditure which are three big cabinet positions while cork north central has mike Barry and a token ring road. Brilliant. Ffs.

But they're national legislators, it shouldn't really matter where they're from.

Geographic spread is one thing I despise in Irish politics. Essentially getting a ministry because you're from Waterford etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Ruling something out in any and all circumstances and then going ahead and doing it is a form of lying in most people's eyes.

Can we grow up? Neither FG nor FF wanted anything to do with each other but the threat of Sinn Fein has forced them to realise that there was really no difference between them. Neither were lying. Doubt if either could have articulated a real difference if they were asked. Hopefully the SF distraction will wither away and perhaps Labour and the Greens can assemble a decent more left wing alternative to FF/FG who should really merge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wonder if Jim O Callaghan and a few others of the disgruntled will be sharpening the knives. Reported that Anne Rabbitte wasn't looking too happy either leaving the centre.
    Looking forward to the next episode in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

The life of this government will comprise the 100 year anniversaries where great granddads of both main parties TDs resorted to killing each other, a mere matter of months after when they were supposed to be 'comrades in arms' in the fight for independence.

At least these days they are not bringing revolvers in with them, so that's progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Which would have included talking to SF.
    So in some instances the ideology was immovable and dogmatically insisted upon.

If they had talked and been unable to reach an agreement fair enough. But refusing outright to enter negotiations combined with guff about SF being 'unfit' was dogmatic ideology at its worst and an insult to the mandate which, like it or not, SF received from the electorate.

FF and FG do not get to decide who is and is not 'fit' - especially when they seek the support of the likes of Lowry. If they can accept Lowry has a mandate- they can accept SF have one. And going on number of seats a stronger one than FG.

And once again before the 'shinnerbot' BS starts I did not give SF even a preference vote. I did give the Greens one and even though not elected that candidate spoke out against the PfG.

Good point re Lowry. If they had more integrity they should have had nothing to do with him.Doesn't justify having anything to do with SF though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement