Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes existing, but it shows even without investment it can be done in 1.45 which is similar and safer to a car. With investment that could be 1 hour

Put in direct trains etc....

The lack of vision is alarming, are people really this closed minded to change? If it doesn’t involve sitting in a car people seem to have a huge fear factor

We need both!

Transportation should never be either/or.
    It should be the best solution for the problem.

In the case of Limerick-Cork there are 2 problems that require 2 solutions.

I'm not at all a road obsessive and but if you drove between mallow and Charleville and had the displeasure of Newtwopothouse and Buttevant you'd understand.

The M20 and the N2/A5 are essential.

Heavy rail upgrades are essential.

Metrolink is essential.

Bus connects is essential.

Bicycle infrastructure is essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The lines are connected obviously but not directly. You need to go to limerick junction to get to limerick.

Well then if you live in either place why the hell are you so stuck on this particular motorway ?

The railway to navan is already there it's just not used by passengers, it's used for freight.So again making statements that show a lack of understanding. You're asking to open up a line which exist already.

You don’t need a direct link unless it’s slower than via car, even via limerick junstion it is the same, with a proper service it would be faster

The limerick to cork road is just a valid discussion point as people want a road when they have alternatives, a train alternative which few in Ireland have

I know all about Navan, I know it’s not open and a report said 300m to make it available to people. Read the report it was shared on here. So lack of understanding is on your side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Don't know the name yet but seems to be FF have it. Maybe give it to Stephen Donnelly, he's an expert in everything.

Donnelly for health alright. That will be interesting. I thought he was poor during election interviews.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I wonder if Jim O Callaghan and a few others of the disgruntled will be sharpening the knives. Reported that Anne Rabbitte wasn't looking too happy either leaving the centre.
    Looking forward to the next episode in this series.

Hopefully. JOC will have the sister on the case now.

Who got AG?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Who is gonna get finance?

Pascal presumably?

• Advertisement

We need both!

Transportation should never be either/or.
    It should be the best solution for the problem.

In the case of Limerick-Cork there are 2 problems that require 2 solutions.

I'm not at all a road obsessive and but if you drove between mallow and Charleville and had the displeasure of Newtwopothouse and Buttevant you'd understand.

The M20 and the N2/A5 are essential.

Heavy rail upgrades are essential.

Metrolink is essential.

Bus connects is essential.

Bicycle infrastructure is essential.

Ireland does not have an unlimited budget so it’s either or

So far roads have always won and we are in a mess, trains should now be answer going forward

I know the road, take a few cars off it and into train and you will resolve some of the issues

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hopefully. JOC will have the sister on the case now.

Who got AG?

Heard some Gallager guy mentioned on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pascal presumably?

Yes. The only choice really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Who is the new housing minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yes. The only choice really.
    It'll be a sort of a double team with McGrath, like with Howlin in 2011 government.

• Advertisement

Who is the new housing minister?

Darragh O'Brien FF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So FG got

Finance
    Justice
    Foreign Affairs
    Employment
    Higher Education

Is that right? They def got the best in that deal

• Registered Users Posts: 40,046 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You don’t need a direct link unless it’s slower than via car, even via limerick junstion it is the same, with a proper service it would be faster

The limerick to cork road is just a valid discussion point as people want a road when they have alternatives, a train alternative which few in Ireland have

I know all about Navan, I know it’s not open and a report said 300m to make it available to people. Read the report it was shared on here. So lack of understanding is on your side

The arrogance is amazing. Lack of understanding is on my side is it ? You said that people want a road where there are alternatives yet myself and others have pointed out the alternatives aren't comparable to a road that is badly needed.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Darragh O'Brien FF

Fantastic. Best government ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Did anyone suggest it is going to be compulsory?

With Dublin City Coucil run by Keegan and the Greens in it will be compulsory. Pity all victims of the Green fantasy come Winter. Sure thats politics for you

So FG got

Finance
    Justice
    Foreign Affairs
    Employment
    Higher Education

Is that right? They def got the best in that deal
    Social Welfare and AG as well. Two of those you listed couldn't really change ministers at present, Finance and Foreign Affairs.

Pascal presumably?
    Yep, a given at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Truthvader wrote: »
    With Dublin City Coucil run by Keegan and the Greens in it will be compulsory. Pity all victims of the Green fantasy come Winter. Sure thats politics for you

So you're telling us that cycling will be compulsory by the end of the year. Christ, that's some delusion.

Fantastic. Best government ever.
    I'm not of that mind but looking forward to this first rainbow government in 25 years!

The agreement is meaningless. We are economically screwed for years. Austerity won't be a choice as there won't be money to spend. It's about lashing yourself to the mast and hoping the ship doesn't go down.

Did you think austerity was a choice? Only in Sinn Fein fatasyland can you just vote for more money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

KyussB wrote: »
    You never heard of Keyne's? When a country has multiple economic body blows like that - that is exactly when the government needs to spend huge amounts of money, to reflate the economy...It's standard macroeconomics.

Indeed I have. In fact, I quoted him earlier today on this very thread. The sensible thing to do is to borrow enough money to keep the ship afloat and no more. The idea that we borrow tens of billions just because, you know, houses n stuff is, to say the least very selfish. Ever hear of a deficit? Of a national debt? Of future generations? There's not many in the government, past or present, who agree with you.

This means Metro is on the shelf for 10 more years because he wants to redesign the whole thing to take it to Tallaght.

Dont think he as any transport policy over and above taxing and clamping cars

Ireland does not have an unlimited budget so it’s either or

So far roads have always won and we are in a mess, trains should now be answer going forward

I know the road, take a few cars off it and into train and you will resolve some of the issues

Right. So we shouldn't borrow money at close to 0% interest for infrastructure projects?

Will we wait til it's more expensive ya reckon?

Ireland can find money when it wants to.

Anyway, that's my last on it in this forum. It's like talking about race relations in AH. Pointless.. Stall it over to C&T.

As the brand shiny new minister of transport what do you think will be the first major move by Eamonn Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As the brand shiny new minister of transport what do you think will be the first major move by Eamonn Ryan

Sell the diesel yoke?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The arrogance is amazing. Lack of understanding is on my side is it ? You said that people want a road where there are alternatives yet myself and others have pointed out the alternatives aren't comparable to a road that is badly needed.

You accused me of lack of understanding on the Navan line. When I point out to you that a report is available you accuse me of arrogance?

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Navan_Corridor_Study.pdf

Read the report.

In regards to the Limerick to Cork, the only issue is the lack of vision.

Why should we repeat the same mistake multiple times? do you think that is clever?

So far Ireland has invested billions in roads and has managed to resolve nothing. So your answer is to invest more in roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Who got Environment?

Stop Metrolink.

Didn't bicycles just get more expensive to absorb the BTW subsidy when it was introduced?

Yep, same thing happened back in the day with first time buyer grants for houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Stop Metrolink.

The Dublin Metro has to be in serious question now. In the Post Covid World with remote working and only essential travel there is no demand for a metro to bring people from an empty airport to empty office blocks in the ifsc.

The greens can get far more of their projects in place by killing that project and diverting it into bus services, cycle lanes etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement