Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 15-06-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I ordered car parts through a .co.uk web site. After ordering near 300E worth of parts they then informed me that due to covid issues they can only ship through DHL an it will cost £30. I paid this and the parts arrived this morning. It ended up UPS delivered the parts and wanted E60.50. That charge broke doen to customs + delivery and other? Have I any recourse in having the E60 refunded. The website has no information regarding custom charges. The parts did ship from Korea but it is a .uk web site I ordered from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP

you could have refused delivery.

you are entitled to a cooling off period now and return the parts, this could be at your expense as you are now in a change of mind scenario. you can argue that with the vendor. if you return the parts you can claim the duty back.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-claim-a-refund-of-customs-duty-and-vat.aspx#:~:text=You%20may%20claim%20a%20refund,centre%20where%20the%20goods%20arrived.

however the DHL handling fee - dont think you will get that part back, as they had to handle/process the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

You shouldn't have to pay customs buying from a UK website should you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Meeoow wrote: »

Items shipped from Korea not the UK. Unless the vendor have an account set up with Irish revenue then they will charge import duty, plenty of people used to get caught with UK sites shipping from the Channel Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

did you check the website and read the shipping details and also check where they were actually based.

I can open a .co.uk website in 10 minutes - all it is saying is that I am targeting a uk customer. I could ship it from anywhere.

You can be sure that they have themselves covered in their terms and conditions which you probably agreed to but like many of us, never bother to read. I suspect that there is information in their shipping page too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im just awaiting their response at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Bottom line here is you cannot assume.

.co.uk, .ie, and so on are domains. they do not guarantee the location of the vendor. if they falsely say 'ships from UK, then you have a case. if they dont you have to inform yourself,

read the t's & c's. or use trustpilot etc. Buying off a website you dont know i like buying a second hand car. yu do your homework, or accept your taking a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Aye, I didn't notice in OP that the goods were from Korea.
    That's the risk you take when you buy outside of EU. You are liable for the duty, I doubt you have any comeback.
    60 euros duty sounds correct for 300 value of goods. What does it say on the invoice?

Advertisement