Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360M euro per year to be spent on cycling and walking infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Modal share for cycling in Dublin City and Suburbs is 7.6%
    Modal share for cycling in Paris is 5%

Average commuting distance in Dublin City is 5.8km
    Average commuting distance for Dun Laoighaire Rathdown is 8.3km
    Average commuting distance for South Dublin is 8.6km
    Average commuting distance for Fingal is 11.6km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

1.8 billion euro on bicycles

Half a million people out of work. Another 30 billion in the hole.

7% of the total vote.

What a country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Wind...sounds like good training weather to me...

And even if you're not a strong cyclist, get an e-bike (will be easier with increased bike-to-work allowance) - once you've pedalled into a nasty headwind on an e-bike, you'll understand why over 50% of new bike sales in the Netherlands (flat country, very windy at times) are e-bikes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Only took 3 or 4 weeks to get sick of that and a bike was acquired. 20 minutes each way rain or shine and a hot shower waiting for me at either end of the journey.

Shower/changing rooms at work make a huge difference and id love to see an initiative to get more employers to provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

there will be lots of studies done and the money will be wasted

i am such a cynic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you not hear? the mods on the cycling forum on boards have all been offered paid positions on a cycling research committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

7% of the total vote.

What a country
    I'm not sure where you got the 1.8b figure from? Do cycling infrastructure projects not have very high cost benefit ratios.

As for the 7%, I know, right. You'd expect it to be much higher given the imminent climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I think the whole lot should be used to pay our collective back-dated road tax bill.

I mean it's only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I'm not sure where you got the 1.8b figure from? Do cycling infrastructure projects not have very high cost benefit ratios.

As for the 7%, I know, right. You'd expect it to be much higher given the imminent climate crisis.

360 million euro a year over 5 years

7% is the reality. Laughing stock

yabadabado wrote: »
    Shower/changing rooms at work make a huge difference and id love to see an initiative to get more employers to provide them.

Big time, back then we had a gym with 4 showers for both men and women and a shower on each floor of a 5 story building and the facilities were in big demand but because of staggered stating times for work you were never left wanting.

I could see it being an issue in smaller places and with everyone on 9-5 hours.

In my current job there are only 2 showers but much smaller numbers working there and only 3-4 of us regularly cycling , 2 occasionally and another 3 who run a few times a week. Works well but if many people in the office decide to cycle in when we return it could lead to queues and social distancing stickers on the floor outside the showers :D

Definitely feel lucky to have the use of showers in work. Baby wipe wash in the jax isn't the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bring back coal and smog, I hear you say. Put the lead back into petrol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Big time, back then we had a gym with 4 showers for both men and women and a shower on each floor of a 5 story building and the facilities were in big demand but because of staggered stating times for work you were never left wanting.

I could see it being an issue in smaller places and with everyone on 9-5 hours.

In my current job there are only 2 showers but much smaller numbers working there and only 3-4 of us regularly cycling , 2 occasionally and another 3 who run a few times a week. Works well but if many people in the office decide to cycle in when we return it could lead to queues and social distancing stickers on the floor outside the showers :D

Definitely feel lucky to have the use of showers in work. Baby wipe wash in the jax isn't the same.

WFH might help with that.

Also some people use eBikes specifically so they don't need to shower.

Personally I used to just cycle even slower into work, faster on the way home. Then again it was mostly downhill into work, uphill on the way home. I say used to because I haven't done it in a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the greyhound racing industry was getting, what, €17m a year? how many people go greyhound racing?

it's less than half of one percent of last year's budget. for 7% of people. so you're saying it should be more representative, it should be much higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

7% of the total vote.

What a country

What a country alright if there's such a failure in understanding politics, elections and how the government works.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know that more people cycle to work in Dublin than use DART, Luas and suburban rail combined? They're not all Green voters either.

But I'm still not clear who you are laughing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Going back to the actually infrastructure, I'd prefer a lot of it to be spent on rural footpaths/ cycle paths rather than "greenways". Even with the reduction in traffic at the height of lock down, we still experienced close passes walking and cycling with the children. It's definitely a blocker to removing car journeys, if that's the

I really feel in the majority of cases, "greenways" are a tourism thing - and therefore should come out of that budget - rather than actually a transport thing. Not that I don't welcome them, just should be a different vote. I'd really like to see existing fireroads more utilised for this as well.
    I like the idea of greenways but I do agree about your first point though about rural footpaths and cycle paths.
    I'm sceptical any money will be spent or at least not the amounts talked about but I really hope it's not another case of everything going to Dublin and the majority of the rest of the country is forgotten about as per usual.

Greenway's I would expect are used for some commuting especially the ones on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

All well and good to paint up more cycle lanes with a few plastic traffic wands, however the biggest issue for most people apart from Safety is when you get to work you need a secure place to lock your bike with CCTV, a place to get changed/locker room/Shower room.

Not only that but on the way home a lot of people may like to stop and get some groceries, again you need to be sure that your bike is still going to be there when you get outside.

Bike theft is a massive issue, you can even see the amount of lads going around in large groups on bikes you know they didn't purchase.

The Gardai just take a report and file it away, so there's no real consequence to bicycle theft...

Especially when a lot of people have bikes worth a couple of grand, worth a lot more than all the 10 years + old cars I see driving around everywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Modal share for cycling in Dublin City and Suburbs is 7.6%
    Modal share for cycling in Paris is 5%

Average commuting distance in Dublin City is 5.8km
    Average commuting distance for Dun Laoighaire Rathdown is 8.3km
    Average commuting distance for South Dublin is 8.6km
    Average commuting distance for Fingal is 11.6km

11k by bike? Ah here! You expect people to cycle 22 Kilometres 5 days a week? Not a hope! If only we had electric powered bikes for those who see 11k as an Unachieveable commute! :). BTW 11k by bike is doable in about 20/25 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

07Lapierre wrote: »
    11k by bike? Ah here! You expect people to cycle 22 Kilometres 5 days a week? Not a hope! If only we had electric powered bikes for those who see 11k as an Unachieveable commute! :). BTW 11k by bike is doable in about 20/25 minutes!

Ahh here. 11km is definitely 30minutes+ for the majority of cyclists. Unless you are haring around and breaking lights, an average speed of 33kph is not going to happen in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hurrache wrote: »
    Man up so and get some muscle into your puny legs. Embrace the exercise.

...or get a bike with gears and accept going slower into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    All well and good to paint up more cycle lanes with a few plastic traffic wands, however the biggest issue for most people apart from Safety is when you get to work you need a secure place to lock your bike with CCTV, a place to get changed/locker room/Shower room.

Not only that but on the way home a lot of people may like to stop and get some groceries, again you need to be sure that your bike is still going to be there when you get outside.

Bike theft is a massive issue, you can even see the amount of lads going around in large groups on bikes you know they didn't purchase.

The Gardai just take a report and file it away, so there's no real consequence to bicycle theft...

Especially when a lot of people have bikes worth a couple of grand, worth a lot more than all the 10 years + old cars I see driving around everywhere..

I agree with what you are saying about theft/security, but showers and changing rooms are only needed if you are cycling for sport. People in Amsterdam and Copenhagen cycle in their work clothes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be curious to see if the local authorities given funding under this budget use the bulk of it to complete other work...
    Cost of 2.7km Dublin cycle path jumps to €20m

Ahh here. 11km is definitely 30minutes+ for the majority of cyclists. Unless you are haring around and breaking lights, an average speed of 33kph is not going to happen in town.

Mine is about 14k each way and it's about 35-40 in and about 50-60 home (uphill and against the wind). And I'm older and very unfit and on 26yr old MTB. Well until the bike broke and I got injured (unrelated).

If I resume I might get an eBike.

blackbox wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying about theft/security, but showers and changing rooms are only needed if you are cycling for sport. People in Amsterdam and Copenhagen cycle in their work clothes.

Both those cities have vast cycle specific infrastructure and are completely flat, certainly Amsterdam is, you barely have to pedal.

In Dublin you can have between 100 and 200m of climbing in a commute, try doing that in a suit....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Fair enough ... i based it on my own commute which is pretty flat, very few traffic lights, not carrying a backpack etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    In Dublin you can have between 100 and 200m of climbing in a commute, try doing that in a suit....

I can climb howth hill in a shirt and trousers on an ebike without breaking a sweat

*aware that not everyone wants an ebike but its one of the major plus points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

beauf wrote: »
    Mine is about 14k each way and it's about 35-40 in and about 50-60 home (uphill and against the wind). And I'm older and very unfit and on 26yr old MTB. Well until the bike broke and I got injured (unrelated).

If I resume I might get an eBike.

Well that's an average speed of 17-20kph which is pretty good for a commute. Particularly if there are lights.

Well that's an average speed of 17-20kph which is pretty good for a commute. Particularly if there are lights.

The extra weight means I go downhill faster.

In fairness 15-20 of that is through the park with no lights. Very few lights on my route except the city centren part.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    I can climb howth hill in a shirt and trousers on an ebike without breaking a sweat

*aware that not everyone wants an ebike but its one of the major plus points.

Nah, Motorbikes don't count! :P

Advertisement