Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide between two photographers

Options
  • 15-06-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I found a photographer I really love. We had a video call (OH wasn't available but trusts my character judgement) and he was really friendly and easy to get along with which I think is really important for a wedding photographer since they'll be following you around all day! Overall I am super happy with him. He is a bit pricey though, coming in right at the top of our budget.

I found a second photographer who's style I also liked a lot. He was a bit more awkward to chat with but a nice guy overall. His price is way way cheaper though (and cheaper than most wedding photographers I've looked into).

I'm super torn - I can't decide if I should pick the first one who is my favourite and splurge on the photos, or save by choosing the other one... The difference is about €1,200 for the same type of package. I haven't gotten to see any full wedding galleries from the second photographer, so don't have a feel for how he shoots the entire day, but I have seen them for the first one (my favourite). The cheaper one has also never shot at our venue before but the more expensive one has. Overall the first guy seems more experienced, but is it worth all that extra money??

Any advice or thoughts are very welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

After a few years, when memories start to fade, what kind of photos do you want to look back on? If the cheap ones turn out badly, you can't redo the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Go with your gut, which seems to be the first guy. Without actually seeing pics its hard to give an opinion.

It is 1200 of a difference, but its your big day. Save elsewhere where you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Go with your gut, which seems to be the first guy. Without actually seeing pics its hard to give an opinion.

It is 1200 of a difference, but its your big day. Save elsewhere where you can.

I second this. Also having someone that knows the venue can be an advantage. They'll already have some shots in mind that have worked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Definitely go with the one you get along with the best, it's already going to be stressful enough getting pics done, if you dont feel like you can chat to the photographer easily it will end up a nightmare

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

akqa wrote: »
    His price is way way cheaper though (and cheaper than most wedding photographers I've looked into).

Alarm bells straight away!
    akqa wrote: »
    I haven't gotten to see any full wedding galleries from the second photographer, so don't have a feel for how he shoots the entire day,

Even louder alarm bells! You should be able to see a selection of full galleries.

Go with your gut as the photos are all you'll have left from your big day.
    Cut back on the frivolous stuff like candy carts, sparkly dance floors, photobooths etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

After a few years, when memories start to fade, what kind of photos do you want to look back on? If the expensive ones turn out badly, you can't redo the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

If you can afford it, definitely go with the first photographer.

There are a few red flags with the second photographer:
    - Cheap (you get what you pay for!)
    - Inexperienced
    - Not familiar with your venue
    - No full wedding gallery. This is an absolute must have when hiring a photographer. They'll take hundreds of photos of your day, so you don't want to hire someone based on their best picks only. Anyone can get a few lucky shots per wedding and stitch them together into an amazing portfolio. You need to see a whole wedding day from start to finish.

Also if he's charging less money, he might not have as sophisticated a back up system for the photos. Maybe you've asked about this already though.

I think a good photographer is definitely worth the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 akqa

Thank you for the advice everyone! I think we will go for the more expensive one. I'm bad at making decisions so this was really helpful :) It's alot of money but in the long run, I think we'll be more confident and happy with the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not knowing how much research you've already, I'll just ask, why is it only between these two photographers? And being frank, the second photographer shouldn't even be a consideration so you have one photographer on the table, and that photographer max's out your budget.

Unless you've already done an extensive search and this is all you could find, I'd go back and find 2-3 more options to give yourself an actual choice. You could well find yourself another fantastic photographer and save yourself a couple of hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We cheaped out on our wedding video which I didn't regret at the time but seeing some better ones from others I thought were too expensive has made me wish we just spent the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Faith wrote: »
    After a few years, when memories start to fade, what kind of photos do you want to look back on? If the cheap ones turn out badly, you can't redo the day.
    After a few years, when memories start to fade, what kind of photos do you want to look back on? If the expensive ones turn out badly, you can't redo the day.

:confused:

Does Boards have bots now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

:confused:

Does Boards have bots now?

I think the second poster was making a point

Advertisement