Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower motor sparks

Options
  • 15-06-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I just had a look at a neighbour's shower. It's a Triton t90xr. When I turned it on with the cover off sparks came out of the motor. Is it best to replace the whole shower or would they get away with just replacing the motor?
    The incoming neutral was loose so I think that's what's done the damage to the motor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,103 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's normal for the motor to spark from the brushes but it sparks even more if the brushes are worn.

Shower is 9 to 13 years old. Average lifespan is 10 years. The Triton T90xr is officially obsolete. New brushes are around 20 plus p&p and a new motor is around 100 euro. A new triton t90sr is around €230 in Woodies. Replacement shower is the best option unless you are doing it for free or mates rates. I'd be charging 100 supplied & fitted for the brushes and 165 supplied & fitted for the motor. A new shower is better value rather than spending 165 on a 10/12 year old shower imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's normal for the motor to spark from the brushes but it sparks even more if the brushes are worn.

Shower is 9 to 13 years old. Average lifespan is 10 years. The Triton T90xr is officially obsolete. New brushes are around 20 plus p&p and a new motor is around 100 euro. A new triton t90sr is around €230 in Woodies. Replacement shower is the best option unless you are doing it for free or mates rates. I'd be charging 100 supplied & fitted for the brushes and 165 supplied & fitted for the motor. A new shower is better value rather than spending 165 on a 10/12 year old shower imo

Thanks. I recommended getting a new shower and the t90sr seems to be a straight swap so that would be the best option.
    It probably could be fixed by replacing the brushes but it was fairly black inside so didn't want to take the chance of fixing the brushes or motor and then getting called back to fix something else down the track. They seemed happy enough to just go and buy a new shower because of its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,103 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I liken electric showers to TVs. both have same average lifespan. Shower up to 5 years I have no problem repairing. 5 to 7 years might be worth spending 100 on but older than that I just don't see the point unless they plan on selling the house in a few months or something. At 10 years it's chocked with limescale, gone yellow & the shower head or holder is broken. It's tired & showing it's age. Not in a million years would anyone think of repairing a 10 year old TV. I have this thing about old electric showers. with age the heat from the heating can transfers to the electric cables feeding the element. The protective coating on the cable becomes dry & more flammable. I cringe when I hear someone boast about their 20 or 30 year old shower. I always suggest they have an electrician check it out if they plan to continue to use it.

Advertisement