Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something eating strawberries

• 15-06-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

Something is eating my strawberries as soon as they ripen. They're in a pallet, no issue with the top two thirds of the pallet just the bottom third something is eating the entire strawberry right back to the stem. I've never seen birds at them and I'd no issues last year except for the odd slug damaged one in wet weather.

Dare I say but could it be mice, or worse??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Have you children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you children?

Nope no children

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can you post a picture please?

Some pics of the leftovers

Boards wouldn't let me upload all in one post. First pic is of my setup and second is another strawberry which the offending individual didn't get to finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Boards wouldn't let me upload all in one post. First pic is of my setup and second is another strawberry which the offending individual didn't get to finish

Birds

Grats wrote: »
    Birds

Feckers. Right netting it is, funny they didn't go near them last year

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, I'd say birds too, if it happens during the day. Slugs, snails, rodents or hedgehogs if it happens during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Birds rarely eat the entire strawberry, seeming to prefer to tase lots of them. Got no other suggestion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I had a similar problem last year with my potatoes noticed there was alot of digging around them so got a loan of my friends hunting camera and caught my neighbor helping himself to the bigger potatoes and a few heads of cabbage late at night. I put up some barbed wire and seems to have stopped him this year pg

Snowc wrote: »
    I had a similar problem last year with my potatoes noticed there was alot of digging around them so got a loan of my friends hunting camera and caught my neighbor helping himself to the bigger potatoes and a few heads of cabbage late at night. I put up some barbed wire and seems to have stopped him this year pg

I'd like to think if the neighbour was taking them they'd pull them off the stalk and not nibble on them and leave half behind :-D

I put up a makeshift net along the bottom row, we'll see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had a similar issue and it was slugs, they go to town on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I find blackbirds are the main culprit. They start eating them before they even start to ripen.

Advertisement