Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG members should reject this deal

Options
  • 15-06-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

FF members should also reject it, but FG have really been short changed here. FG riding high at 35% in the polls but Leo got nothing out of these negotiations. There is no FG stamp on this, everything is a concession to FF and the Greens.

He was looking for tax cuts in second half of the term. Didn't get it. We will now have increased social housing in new developments, again a concession to FF and Greens. We have the LNG terminal now scuppered. A concession to the Greens.

Rural Ireland? We could have had 500 jobs in rural ireland from that LNG terminal, instead we have emigration and re-wilding thanks to Eamon Ryan. Carbon tax through the roof. Fantasies about rural public transport just means vitally needed road projects scrapped. It's actually more serious than that - taxing carbon and emissions targets legally binding basically means stunting the development of the country.

Vote NO!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't think anyone was expecting tax cuts over the next few years, quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Leo gave away the farm to guarantee another couple of years in the top job before he swans off to Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

CageWager wrote: »
    Leo gave away the farm to guarantee another couple of years in the top job before he swans off to Brussels
    Its amazing how transparent he is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

That LNG operation was in Kerry . Nobody in head office of Fine Gael is concerned about outside the greater Dublin area so it was never a factor . If Jimmy Deenihan was any use he would have got it years ago .

The poll that matters happened in February.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

FF members should also reject it, but FG have really been short changed here. FG riding high at 35% in the polls but Leo got nothing out of these negotiations. There is no FG stamp on this, everything is a concession to FF and the Greens.

He was looking for tax cuts in second half of the term. Didn't get it. We will now have increased social housing in new developments, again a concession to FF and Greens. We have the LNG terminal now scuppered. A concession to the Greens.

Rural Ireland? We could have had 500 jobs in rural ireland from that LNG terminal, instead we have emigration and re-wilding thanks to Eamon Ryan. Carbon tax through the roof. Fantasies about rural public transport just means vitally needed road projects scrapped. It's actually more serious than that - taxing carbon and emissions targets legally binding basically means stunting the development of the country.

Vote NO!

What's the alternative? We will be going into the 5th month without a government if this deal is rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I keep seeing this mentioned, the papers occasionally like to speculate on it too.

But has any ex-taoiseach actually ever gone to a job in Brussels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Indeed, he even gets to blame the lack of tax cuts on FF now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I think its great. Normally it's only group who loses out during an election and are pissed off with the government. With the three of them in together everyone is pissed off.

The sooner this meltdown the better. The kicker is the only alternative is SF! Nobody wants those clowns in either.

Bring on the collective misery. New tax by November please. Get the ball rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

LuasSimon wrote: »
    That LNG operation was in Kerry . Nobody in head office of Fine Gael is concerned about outside the greater Dublin area so it was never a factor . If Jimmy Deenihan was any use he would have got it years ago .

There seems to be a lot of opposition to it.

It will probably turn into a project like the Corrib gas over in Mayo, loads of protests, massive local objections, behind schedule and over budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

I keep seeing this mentioned, the papers occasionally like to speculate on it too.

No, pretty much all ex Taoiseachs have kept a pretty low profile after leaving office, only popping up from time to time at state funerals or for a soft interview on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Leo will be leaving (assuming he leaves) in very different circumstances than many former Taoisigh. Haughy, FitzGerald, Bruton, Reynolds and Kenny were all well on in age when leaving. Leo would be 43/44 with a lot left to give.

Bertie and Cowen left pretty much in disgrace so they would have kept a low profile.

Its just speculation though, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Damian F wrote: »
    What's the alternative? We will be going into the 5th month without a government if this deal is rejected

Alternative is vote no, kick out the Greens and bring in Independents. Insist on tax cuts after 2022, scrap the Green elements in the plan, build that LNG terminal (who says no to hundreds of millions of euro of private investment into rural ireland??) and if they don't get it then another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Couldn't agree with you more OP.

I'm utterly appalled and disgusted by how FG have conceded everything.

I do want them to go back in - on the basis that they do the things they believe in. I want another election where they can ditch the Greens and go in with Labour or what's left of FF instead.

This Government is a complete slap on the face to all those who voted FG or FF in the election.

It is the Green tail wagging the FG/FF dog.

I always thought FF hadn't a principled bone in their body but I most certainly did not think the same of FG. I expected better, much better. A heavy price will be paid by both parties should their memberships authorise this appalling programme for Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Damian F wrote: »
    No, pretty much all ex Taoiseachs have kept a pretty low profile after leaving office, only popping up from time to time at state funerals or for a soft interview on RTE.
    Or popping out of a kitchen cupboard

There seems to be a lot of opposition to it.

It will probably turn into a project like the Corrib gas over in Mayo, loads of protests, massive local objections, behind schedule and over budget.
    "massive local objections" not forgetting the massive local support intimidated by the rent a mob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's a big "meh" from me anyway. Micheál Martin manages to hang on long enough as FF leader to end up as Taoiseach. Hard to see it all lasting 5 years without a few others on board.

nc6000 wrote: »
    It's a big "meh" from me anyway. Micheál Martin manages to hang on long enough as FF leader to end up as Taoiseach. Hard to see it all lasting 5 years without a few others on board.

Never underestimate the attraction of power but I agree about the five years. All will roll along fine for 3 and a half years but as an election comes in the horizon the Greens will get windy. There is no doubt that as they have set themselvds up as paragons of virtue they will be the weakest link and will be taregetted by the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've been living in Kerry 13 years.

Every so often the LNG story comes up for a few weeks then disappears again for months or a few years.

Is been going on for years without a sod even being turned.

It will never happen, get over it North Kerry.

I've been living in Kerry 13 years.

Every so often the LNG story comes up for a few weeks then disappears again for months or a few years.

Is been going on for years without a sod even being turned.

It will never happen, get over it North Kerry.

A bit like the Dublin Metro so

• Advertisement

Leo will be leaving (assuming he leaves) in very different circumstances than many former Taoisigh. Haughy, FitzGerald, Bruton, Reynolds and Kenny were all well on in age when leaving. Leo would be 43/44 with a lot left to give.

Bertie and Cowen left pretty much in disgrace so they would have kept a low profile.

Its just speculation though, who knows.
    But Leo has been highly trained and could go back to the health service. There wasnt much demand for washed up dancehall promoters, Health Board "accountants" national school teachers, failed economists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LOL... this post is nonsense.
    FG will be in government, I cant see why they will reject the deal. As a FG voter I'd be very unhappy if they didnt accept the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Unfortunately each member doesn't get a outright say.

Each constituency has delegates, and they get to decide which was we're voting. It's a sham.

Advertisement