Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Mary Lou be a good leader of the opposition or?

Options
  • 15-06-2020 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Or do you think she'll just be a certified wagon?

Thoughts?

I have to say I am fairly optimistic. If there's one thing Sinn Fein can do well, it's whinging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

unlikely , the way they are whinging about the formation of a government

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

She is brilliant at moaning about everything so I am sure she will be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

They'll be better than Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael ever were, because at least there's some ideological difference between themselves and the government. I don't think that's ever happened in this country before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She'll oppose everything, will have 20/20 vision in hindsight, but will mostly play the populist card of spend, spend, spend; increase social welfare, increase social welfare, increase social welfare and cut taxes, cut taxes, cut taxes.

How will we pay for that? To quote herself.. " the demographics will sort it out".

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

KevRossi wrote: »
    She'll oppose everything, will have 20/20 vision in hindsight, but will mostly play the populist card of spend, spend, spend; increase social welfare, increase social welfare, increase social welfare and cut taxes, cut taxes, cut taxes.

How will we pay for that? To quote herself.. " the demographics will sort it out".

Don't forget about the border poll and the need to reunify Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

should be an easy enough job for her, the coalition government parties are bound to fall afoul of one another sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As my mother always says. All the TD's should be given something similar to army deafness for having to listen to her!

If she gives good constructive critism,dont see why not!

At least she can outline and highlight a different way of doing things as opposed to pretend FF/FG are a differnet to each other

Critism for sake of critism,is pointless imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Mary Lou is an empty but noisy vessel. She will just moan and complain and the people will love her for it. She is the Irish Trump. Pearse Doherty however will be a scarily good power behind the throne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Ask the real leaders of Shiit Fein the hard men in West Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If she gives good constructive critism,dont see why not!

At least she can outline and highlight a different way of doing things as opposed to pretend FF/FG are a differnet to each other

Critism for sake of critism,is pointless imo

There's very little evidence to suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unfortunately, the maths on how to pay for it won't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My guess is that SF will be thoroughly outpoliticked over the next few years and perform much worse in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They'll be better than Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael ever were, because at least there's some ideological difference between themselves and the government. I don't think that's ever happened in this country before.

That's actually a good point. I absolutely hate them but there could be some real political difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

SF will spend the next 4 years saying how they would have dealt with the pandemic better and will finger point and moan and whine until the next election. Hopefully people will remember their deafening silence for the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

touts wrote: »
    Mary Lou is an empty but noisy vessel. She will just moan and complain and the people will love her for it. She is the Irish Trump. Pearse Doherty however will be a scarily good power behind the throne.

doherty is an even bigger populist windbag than mary lou is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Going by the soundbites she's seemingly going for a very beligerent and adversarial approach to opposition.
    At this time that's the last thing we need, it might play well with the pbp set but won't get them anywhere near government.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Going by the soundbites she's seemingly going for a very beligerent and adversarial approach to opposition.
    At this time that's the last thing we need, it might play well with the pbp set but won't get them anywhere near government.

I am not sure about that. People voted for change in the last election. FF and GP did not give their voters what they wanted so may face a backlash at the next election. SF are best placed to pick up those seats.
    Having said that I think there are alot of weak links in the SF parliamentary team so you may see SD, Labour and PBP all pick up those seats next time around.
    It will be interesting anyway and Irish politics will never be the same.
    I do think it is a good thing that the FF FG rotation is finally at an end.

FF come out of this looking the worst. For the last 5 years they did FA so that they wouldn't power share with FG and then go into coalition with them!! Doesn't make a whole pile of sense and may push some grass roots the the Shinners. I think Michael Martin may well be the last FF Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pearse has lost a lot of credibility imo recently towing the this isnt the government people voted for line. the government is whoever's got enough seats to get over the line. they've just sounded like cry babys over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In what way did the people vote for change in the last election?
    I though FF won a seat more than SF because SF didn’t run enough candidates which was a bit of a faux pas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am not sure about that. People voted for change in the last election. FF and GP did not give their voters what they wanted so may face a backlash at the next election. SF are best placed to pick up those seats.
    Having said that I think there are alot of weak links in the SF parliamentary team so you may see SD, Labour and PBP all pick up those seats next time around.

FF come out of this looking the worst. For the last 5 years they did FA so that they wouldn't power share with FG and then go into coalition with them!! Doesn't make a whole pile of sense and may push some grass roots the the Shinners. I think Michael Martin may well be the last FF Taoiseach.

Some people voted to give FF and FG a kick up the backside - not necessarily for change.
    FF and FG have a chance to do something about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I wonder what she thinks of the latest poll.

Works out at 63% of people supporting the new government parties.

They were always quick to jump on polls that skewed in their favor.

She is a formidable politician, but may be too negative.

The media need to stop thinking that bringing past history of the IRA will damage her - it won't.

Scrutinize the policies, scrutinize northern ireland (take the Civil service jobs out and it's a basket case) let people realize that their policies cannot work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

osarusan wrote: »
    My guess is that SF will be thoroughly outpoliticked over the next few years and perform much worse in the next election.

Maybe but the combined FF/FG vote looks like it has topped-out for good so those votes will have to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I though FF won a seat more than SF because SF didn’t run enough candidates which was a bit of a faux pas.

SF spin.

The social media brigade can't understand simple democracy and are saying I didn't vote for this.

The future ain't bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Mary lou would argue a black crow is white everything the coalition say she will be against. For her to come out and say she will be next tioseach is a joke she knew no one would do a deal with her after the past of her party leaders of old. She just loves her own voice I'd say she will be pushed out ofter next election by her own party

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

It was always a banker that FF would agree to everything so that a coalition could be formed...there was no way that Micheal Martin was going to be the first FF leader not to be Taoiseach...

On SF being good in opposition....I hope they get there act together...I still remembered the way they set up Sean Gallagher during the presidential election a few years ago so they might go that route to score some points

FF infact did not win a seat more than SF,they had 1 member reeelected automatically for being ceann comhairle

Tbf shinners were polling 11% at canditdate selection time,and pulled it out of the fire for election,hence the low canditdate numbers,i assume

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Darc19 wrote: »
    I wonder what she thinks of the latest poll.

Works out at 63% of people supporting the new government parties.

They were always quick to jump on polls that skewed in their favor.

She is a formidable politician, but may be too negative.

The media need to stop thinking that bringing past history of the IRA will damage her - it won't.

Scrutinize the policies, scrutinize northern ireland (take the Civil service jobs out and it's a basket case) let people realize that their policies cannot work

Lies

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1272627850810621952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

....but she's not the leader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Pearse got stripped money in 2019 for not attending, what to suggest he will bother his ass this time?

Advertisement