Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Mary Lou be a good leader of the opposition or?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

SF are completely discredited in my view, they were given a mandate by the popular vote to be involved in Government.
    By their silence in recent months they have stated they clearly do not want or unable for involvement in serious state affairs.
    All talk....waffle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Very easy to shout from the sidelines for the duration of the Government.
    Very quiet during the Pandemic
    A lot of new TDs with zero experience...not even at council level.....so not ready for Government anytime soon
    If we "voted for change" mantra...why could SF not have tried to form a government

Tiocfaidh ar La....but its not today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sinn Fein were looking for ALL CHANGE, ALL NOW!!!!
    When instead they should have opened the door to one of the other two to introduce a more gradual change manifesto.
    Sinn Fein were quiet during the lockdown, Fianna Fail weren't much louder in fairness but they used their numbers like they should and this is the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

At least we are moving away from the totally anti democratic confidence and supply model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SF are completely discredited in my view, they were given a mandate by the popular vote to be involved in Government.
    By their silence in recent months they have stated they clearly do not want or unable for involvement in serious state affairs.
    All talk....waffle.....

I sent it here

SF promised change and all the voter got was short changed

They are an embarrassment, Mary Lou has shown she is incompetent and unable to negotiation with anyone.

They are better off on Facebook insulting people, it’s about the level I put them at...even PBP are above them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Hopeless, she'll be whinging & moaning about everything. Constant negativity from her, as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Thank God they werent in government over the last couple of months. Can you imagine poor old Chris Andrews making decisions about covid or Dessie Ellis sitting at his kitchen table with his bag of nails and timers being asked to come up with a financial plan for recovery. Think people know that the ragbag of spoofers and criminals have nothing to offer

She is alive and well, all over the papers this morning, i did not read any of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's easy to be complaining about everything the government does.
    It'll be interesting to see her counter-proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

biko wrote: »

You could be waiing a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

She is brilliant at moaning about everything so I am sure she will be excellent.
    Mary Lou "moaning" Ooooh Matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

They'll be better than Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael ever were, because at least there's some ideological difference between themselves and the government. I don't think that's ever happened in this country before.

Ideological difference is not a good thing if one ideology is a leftist marxism populism.

biko wrote: »

You won't get counter proposals, just that everyone else's is sh*t

If you do get a counter proposal, normally it is pure fantasy and if anyone did try to implement it would falls to pieces while still at planning stage

But sure thats the SF way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe but the combined FF/FG vote looks like it has topped-out for good so those votes will have to go somewhere.

I don't think so. I'd expect some of any drop in SF votes to go towards FG or FF.

Don't get me wrong - the FG/FF coalition (that's what it is in the public eye at least) over the last few years have helped the rise of SF as the only real opposition, and this new govt runs the same risk.

But I think there were a number of of pissed off FG and FF voters who took a chance on SF, and if FG+FF+Greens deal with the reasons they were pissed off in the first place, they will return to the fold.

You are right that the FF/FG hegemony won't be again what it once was, but I don't think the recent election was a definitive statement on where votes will go.

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't think so. I'd expect some of any drop in SF votes to go towards FG or FF.

Don't get me wrong - the FG/FF coalition (that's what it is in the public eye at least) over the last few years have helped the rise of SF as the only real opposition, and this new govt runs the same risk.

But I think there were a number of of pissed off FG and FF voters who took a chance on SF, and if FG+FF+Greens deal with the reasons they were pissed off in the first place, they will return to the fold.

You are right that the FF/FG hegemony won't be again what it once was, but I don't think the recent election was a definitive statement on where votes will go.

It was a revolt vote. To get a different party

SF got the vote and instead of acting on it, ran for the hills. At least the voters will know the next time they want a revolt not to bother with SF because they will end up doing the exact same.

SF are not fit to run a country, just look at the mess they have made in the North.

I think that a spell of opposition will be good for SF. They will learn plenty, if they just watch and listen.

The proposed coalition is the best solution to an inconclusive election. There’s a tough road ahead for the country and Leo and FG, with FFs support have shown that they’re ready to take the hard decisions necessary.

I think that a spell of opposition will be good for SF. They will learn plenty, if they just watch and listen.

The proposed coalition is the best solution to an inconclusive election. There’s a tough road ahead for the country and Leo and FG, with FFs support have shown that they’re ready to take the hard decisions necessary.

They have been in power sharing in North for how many years and what have they learned from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

All talk....waffle.....

Whilst I shudder to thing of the state they'd leave the place in if they ever got power, that is just a complete whitewash of FF and FG both stating that they would not go into govt with SF. They had no way of making up the numbers.

Whilst I shudder to thing of the state they'd leave the place in if they ever got power, that is just a complete whitewash of FF and FG both stating that they would not go into govt with SF. They had no way of making up the numbers.

The Greens and SF sat down first.....

SF could easily of forced FF/FG hand by joining with other parties and then making it impossible to form a government without them. Then if FF and FG said to go back to polls SF could easily point the finger

The fact PBP had to publish a letter to get a response from SF showed they never had any intention of trying to form a government. As usual with SF it was all hot air

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They have been in power sharing in North for how many years and what have they learned from that?

They also ran Dublin City Council for five years and made a complete mess of the job, achieving nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

You say this as if they have just left government, or ever had a spell ‘in government’?

Have they not been in opposition in this country for the last decade? In fact they have never been in government in this country.

blanch152 wrote: »
    They also ran Dublin City Council for five years and made a complete mess of the job, achieving nothing.

What about the Palestinian flag flying over city hall? That was quite an achievement, even if it was proposed by PBP.

SF got the opportunity and they "blew it" game over...
    Learning, they have a lot learn but it be too late, not much in learning when you have given away your work to someone else.
    I think there should have being another election to ensure a proper mandate.
    Do any of the parties in Dail at the moment have real credibility?

The rotating Taoiseach is crazy in my opinion....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

They'll be better than Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael ever were, because at least there's some ideological difference between themselves and the government. I don't think that's ever happened in this country before.

WOW
    I really question the intelligence of anyone who votes Sinn Fein

WOW

Why?

I switched from spoiling my vote,to SF,on basis of cynism of FFG,

It become obvious to me,they couldnt touch shinners on policy issues at last election and had to resort to talking about some lad killed in shed,yonks ago,

While we have worst housing crisis here since famine times,cyncism should never be rewarded....

How come justicr for paul quinn isnt in the new programme for government??,seems fairly obvious it was an election tactic now,

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

WOW

I question the IQ level of anyone voting for FFFG... Enjoy getting poorer if you not already

SmokyMo wrote: »
    I question the IQ level of anyone voting for FFFG... Enjoy getting poorer if you not already

Enjoy getting poorer? What do you think would happen under SF? More free money for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Why?

I switched from spoiling my vote,to SF,on basis of cynism of FFG,

It become obvious to me,they couldnt touch shinners on policy issues at last election and had to resort to talking about some lad killed in shed,yonks ago,

While we have worst housing crisis here since famine times,cyncism should never be rewarded....

How come justicr for paul quinn isnt in the new programme for government??,seems fairly obvious it was an election tactic now,

" we have worst housing crisis here since famine times"

Really? The informed and educated opinion of the Sinn Fein/IRA supporter

And "going on about some lad in a shed" "Cynicism"? Google the word would you.

The only "policy" have seen form Sinn Fein over the last 30 years is "If we don't get whatever we want we will kill indiscriminately - but we retain the right to kill you if we really want you dead. Plus Everything free forever!

SF could give his family justice for his death today, if they chose to.

• Advertisement

Truthvader wrote: »
    " we have worst housing crisis here since famine times"

Really? The informed and educated opinion of the Sinn Fein/IRA supporter

Yes,our homeless figures are higher,than ever been??
    The ira havnt done anything with yonks :pac:....bit like saying FF supporters equals supporting bertie and haughey :pac:...its 2020,try to keep up brah
    And "going on about some lad in a shed" "Cynicism"? Google the word would you.

As i said....why is justice for that young lad not included in programme for government....oh yeah,it was an election ploy
    The only "policy" have seen form Sinn Fein over the last 30 years is "If we don't get whatever we want we will kill indiscriminately - but we retain the right to kill you if we really want you dead. Plus Everything free forever!

Meh,i dont want anything for free, but i think private sector,low paid have worst deal of any group in state (and we have highest % on below living wage in the eu),and shinners seem only people about to represent them....we have childcare workers,who cant afford send their kids to childcare,this cant continue

Advertisement