Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Mary Lou be a good leader of the opposition or?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

FG scandals will start to emerge in the next few months, , Greens will have to walk away,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FG scandals will start to emerge in the next few months, , Greens will have to walk away,

What sort of scandals?

SF could give his family justice for his death today, if they chose to.

How and they should,if they can

FFG raised this at election and parked it as soon as it become obvious it wasnt affecting polling figures.......seems obvious to me,it was a cynical election ploy tbh,as they couldnt touch em policy wise

SF are completely discredited in my view, they were given a mandate by the popular vote to be involved in Government.
    By their silence in recent months they have stated they clearly do not want or unable for involvement in serious state affairs.
    All talk....waffle.....

They weren't silent, it just wasn't reported.
    FF reps on radio this morning talking up the deal all sound like they've been threatened ,no conviction in what they said, this is a coup in every way but name,
    All the things that SF are accused of is being practised by the leadership of FF/FG.
    We are no better than some corrupt former Soviet republic now.
    Sad and dangerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

From Mary's track record I do not think so. If SF avoids grandstanding and nonstop motions of no confidence they might get credit for the opposition, but, I would say the temptation for been arrogant will prove too strong. SF's entire makeup is to kick cans, protest, and get media time. Aside from that, they have little to offer and up North is proof of that.

Dan.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They have been in power sharing in North for how many years and what have they learned from that?

Northern assembly is equivalent to old urban councils, cutting the grass and watering the hanging baskets on main street are the height of its powers, not a equal comparison ,

What sort of scandals?

Larry didn't take them all,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Why?

I switched from spoiling my vote,to SF,on basis of cynism of FFG,

Thanks for proving my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Northern assembly is equivalent to old urban councils, cutting the grass and watering the hanging baskets on main street are the height of its powers, not a equal comparison ,

Really?

The Northern Ireland Assembly is the devolved legislature for Northern Ireland. It has the power to make laws in a wide range of areas, including housing, employment, education, health, agriculture and the environment. It meets at Parliament Buildings, Belfast.

Very powerful urban council. Mind you an urban council would actually achieve more than SF have in the Northern Assembly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why?

I switched from spoiling my vote,to SF,on basis of cynism of FFG,

It become obvious to me,they couldnt touch shinners on policy issues at last election and had to resort to talking about some lad killed in shed,yonks ago,

While we have worst housing crisis here since famine times,cyncism should never be rewarded....

How come justicr for paul quinn isnt in the new programme for government??,seems fairly obvious it was an election tactic now,

How can you put in the murder of someone as part of the new programme? all SF have to do is stop lying.

Do you want to put in a programme that says SF have to stop lying? that would be brill. I think everyone in the land of Ireland would be overjoyed. Well apart from SF who wouldnt be able to open their mouths :P

• Advertisement

How can you put in the murder of someone as part of the new programme? all SF have to do is stop lying.

Well,they raised it as an election issue....how is it part of the programme for government....their parking of it,just shows how cynical it was

Do you want to put in a programme that says SF have to stop lying? that would be brill. I think everyone in the land of Ireland would be overjoyed. Well apart from SF who wouldnt be able to open their mouths :P

Put whatever they want into it,i dont mind.....though i suspect a ban on lying/spin may effect varadkar most,the man literally wanted to spend millions of tax payer money on a propaganda unit?

Though why is the new cath lab for waterford now parked,by all accouts,despite both varadkar and martin promising it.....everyone about just views it as punishment for a shinner topping the poll tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm hoping we don't end up like the US and the UK with very polarised electorate, but I fear we will. Sinn Fein rely on whipping up populist anger as a political tactic, even if they know full well the anger is not justified or entirely accurate, and it's dangerous in the long run.

They have an arrogance problem though and people are beginning to see it - they are always right and everyone else is completely wrong. With no checks on them in opposition that might be their undoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Well,they raised it as an election issue....their parking of it,just shows how cynical it was

Put whatever they want into it,i dont mind.....though i suspect a ban on lying/spin may effect varadkar most

Though why is the new cath lab for waterford now parked,by all accouts,despite both varadkar and martin promising it.....everyone about just views it as punishment for a shinner topping the poll tbh

You keep bringing up Paul Quinn in an attempt to score points in this thread. Would that also be considered ‘cynical’?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

they'll be great in opposition. loving all the whinging in this thread about them (what?? yet ANOTHER SF thread by a non supporter?)

You keep bringing up Paul Quinn in an attempt to score points in this thread. Would that also be considered ‘cynical’?

You can consider if you want,youd be wrong like,but your free to make that assertion

But how come if its good enough to raise as an election issue,suddently it deosnt matter for a programme for government
    How is that?

Fwiw...it didnt decide the election either....but it was the complete barefaced cynicism of it,put me from spoiling my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Really?

The Northern Ireland Assembly is the devolved legislature for Northern Ireland. It has the power to make laws in a wide range of areas, including housing, employment, education, health, agriculture and the environment. It meets at Parliament Buildings, Belfast.

Very powerful urban council. Mind you an urban council would actually achieve more than SF have in the Northern Assembly.

Councils can make bylaws too - neither Stormont or a council have control over finance at high government level. finance is everything and determines what can and cannot be done. its disingenuous to be dragging out the same uneducated bull**** all the time.

You can consider if you want,youd be wrong like,but your free to make that assertion

But how come if its good enough to raise as an election issue,suddently it deosnt matter for a programme for government
    How is that?

Fwiw...it didnt decide the election either....but it was the complete barefaced cynicism of it,put me from spoiling my vote

As I said, cynical on your part. Disgusting that an SF supporter In particular is using his death like this, given SF ties to the IRA. As I said earlier, SF could provide enough details to get murder convictions and closure for the family, but SF leadership choose not to since the lads are likely members of SF.

As I said, cynical on your part. Disgusting that an SF supporter In particular is using his death like this, given SF ties to the IRA. As I said earlier, SF could provide enough details to get murder convictions and closure for the family, but SF leadership choose not to since the lads are likely members of SF.

Meh....call it what yous want,id fall closer to soc dems,but they arent about where i am

Still no interest in answering as to how,it was deemed ok as an election issue,but not relevent for a programme for government??.....perhaps yous need to look in mirror,before labeling all before yous as cynical

If SF can provide info,they should imo,noone should die like that young lad....but as ive outlined,why i moved from spoiling to support them,your free to support those who deemed his murder more relevent than policies in an election

If shinners were polling 6%,would it.have been raised?

Really?

NI assembly, SF MLA gets hanging baskets for his street, equivalent hanging baskets with different coloured flowers must then be put up on a loyalist street, every thing in the North has to be done twice, if they sell a copy of Darwin's Origin of the species they must also supply copy of the bible, The DUP aren't rational people, every step forward in one area must be tied to a step backwards elsewhere, The Greens are a similar breed ,you'll see what I mean soon

SF could give his family justice for his death today, if they chose to.

Paul Williams talks about the death like he was there, maybe you should be directing your questions to him.

The burning of the evidence by Gardai in the Lunny case is also worrying,silence from Flanagan and the commissioner

• Advertisement

Meh....call it what yous want,id fall closer to soc dems,but they arent about where i am

Still no interest in answering as to how,it was deemed ok as an election issue,but not relevent for a programme for government??.....perhaps yous need to look in mirror,before labeling all before yous as cynical

If SF can provide info,they should imo,noone should die like that young lad....but as ive outlined,why i moved from spoiling to support them,your free to support those who deemed his murder more relevent than policies in an election

If shinners were polling 6%,would it.have been raised?

Doesn’t warrant an answer. If we are engaging in whataboutery though (ie your 6%), what if If the IRA hadn’t killed him? Then it would never have been brought up...

Doesn’t warrant an answer. If we are engaging in whataboutery though (ie your 6%), what if If the IRA hadn’t killed him? Then it would never have been brought up...

Tbh mate,i have yet to see evidence the ira killed him,none of those named that time(yes,his suspected killers have been named,some of us actually followed this) had ira convictions?

But your repeated inability to.answer the question (as to why its not part of programme for government)...i will draw my own conclusion as to your support for using murder victims in elections,when policies cant be touched

Tbh mate,i have yet to see evidence the ira killed him,none of those named that time(yes,his suspected killers have been named,some of us actually followed this) had ira convictions?

But your repeated inability to.answer the question (as to why its not part of programme for government)...i will draw my own conclusion as to your support for using murder victims in elections,when policies cant be touched

Yeah, no evidence. If they came forward, pleaded guilty and were convicted you would still say the same. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes,our homeless figures are higher,than ever been??
    The ira havnt done anything with yonks :pac:....bit like saying FF supporters equals supporting bertie and haughey :pac:...its 2020,try to keep up brah

As i said....why is justice for that young lad not included in programme for government....oh yeah,it was an election ploy

Meh,i dont want anything for free, but i think private sector,low paid have worst deal of any group in state (and we have highest % on below living wage in the eu),and shinners seem only people about to represent them....we have childcare workers,who cant afford send their kids to childcare,this cant continue

Dear, dear, me. Bitter desperation at its most fraught stage is filled with fake news, mistruths and disingenuous numbers.

Homeless figures are down for the last three months, so we can't be at the worst ever.

Private sector low-paid pay less taxes in Ireland than any other country in the EU. I would like to see a link to your claim about below living wage, especially when we have the highest minimum wage in Europe.

On the one hand, you say the IRA should be forgotten, yet on the other you admit that Paul Quinn needs justice, having been killed by the IRA. Some of us will never forget what was done to Paul Quinn and the role that elected Sinn Fein politicians played in blackening his name to their eternal disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

touts wrote: »
    Mary Lou is an empty but noisy vessel. She will just moan and complain and the people will love her for it. She is the Irish Trump. Pearse Doherty however will be a scarily good power behind the throne.

Doherty is a light weight - in a party of light weights. Eoin O'Broin is the party heavyweight. That's the BlackRock College education shining through...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What sort of scandals?

Some FG Ministers eat meat everyday

Well,they raised it as an election issue....how is it part of the programme for government....their parking of it,just shows how cynical it was

Put whatever they want into it,i dont mind.....though i suspect a ban on lying/spin may effect varadkar most,the man literally wanted to spend millions of tax payer money on a propaganda unit?

Nothing to do with "up the Ra" Cullinane.
    The Cath Lab is more or less a done deal but not ready for Halligan to boast about as a farewell gift. Now FF and the Green O Cathasaigh can claim the credit as will FG when they sort out local differences

Yeah, no evidence. If they came forward, pleaded guilty and were convicted you would still say the same. Disgusting.

Well there simply isnt any evidence??

Like your free to believe,what you want and thats ok too

Pull the other one.

• Advertisement

Like your free to believe,what you want and thats ok too
    Of course SF/IRA are sticklers for the evidence. All their victims were given legal advice and a fair trial before ending up in a ditch along the border

Advertisement