Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Mary Lou be a good leader of the opposition or?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

NI assembly, SF MLA gets hanging baskets for his street, equivalent hanging baskets with different coloured flowers must then be put up on a loyalist street, every thing in the North has to be done twice, if they sell a copy of Darwin's Origin of the species they must also supply copy of the bible, The DUP aren't rational people, every step forward in one area must be tied to a step backwards elsewhere, The Greens are a similar breed ,you'll see what I mean soon

It's always someone else fault isn't it with SF. The DUP now.

So do you admit the Northern Assembly has power? as per my post which is from the official website.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dear, dear, me. Bitter desperation at its most fraught stage is filled with fake news, mistruths and disingenuous numbers.

Homeless figures are down for the last three months, so we can't be at the worst ever.

Is this before or after the eu critised them for lying on figures??

Imagine trying to paint this as a success :pac:

Private sector low-paid pay less taxes in Ireland than any other country in the EU. I would like to see a link to your claim about below living wage, especially when we have the highest minimum wage in Europe.

Like i said,we have childcare workers who cant afford send their kids to childcare....you can fall in line and support this all you want

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/workers-in-ireland-on-low-pay-4764896-Aug2019/%3famp=1

Just one of about 200
    On the one hand, you say the IRA should be forgotten, yet on the other you admit that Paul Quinn needs justice, having been killed by the IRA. Some of us will never forget what was done to Paul Quinn and the role that elected Sinn Fein politicians played in blackening his name to their eternal disgrace.

I have yet to see any actual evidence of ira involvement in this,and even if they did,he should get justice

Seems to me martin and varadkar,quickly forgot and havnt included getting him justice in programme for government,how is that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Shefwedfan wrote: »

So do you admit the Northern Assembly has power? as per my post which is from the official website.

If it isn’t the Brits, then it’s the Unionists. And the Free Staters aren’t much better. The Blueshirts can be the worst of all at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Dear, dear, me. Bitter desperation at its most fraught stage is filled with fake news, mistruths and disingenuous numbers.

Homeless figures are down for the last three months, so we can't be at the worst ever.

Private sector low-paid pay less taxes in Ireland than any other country in the EU. I would like to see a link to your claim about below living wage, especially when we have the highest minimum wage in Europe.

On the one hand, you say the IRA should be forgotten, yet on the other you admit that Paul Quinn needs justice, having been killed by the IRA. Some of us will never forget what was done to Paul Quinn and the role that elected Sinn Fein politicians played in blackening his name to their eternal disgrace.

Fake news? How about the homeless filigure drop pre election only for it to mysteriously rise again?

https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-figures-criticism-5027336-Mar2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Seems to me martin and varadkar,quickly forgot and havnt included getting him justice in programme for government,how is that

Seems to me you are using his death in a disgusting attempt to score political points when the very party you support could hand over his killers to the Gardaí this afternoon if they chose.

• Advertisement

What about Simon Harris ignoring the head of nursing homes Ireland calls, mails and letter for urgent help while while hudreads/ a thousand old people faces a lonely death in nursing homes?

maccored wrote: »
    Councils can make bylaws too - neither Stormont or a council have control over finance at high government level. finance is everything and determines what can and cannot be done. its disingenuous to be dragging out the same uneducated bull**** all the time.

Found this fairly easy

https://www.northernireland.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/nigov/2016-17-budget-document.pdf

https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/dfp/dfp-own-dept-budget-2015-16-consultation-summary-of-responses.pdf

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-29841964/northern-ireland-budget-only-the-dup-and-sinn-fin-vote-for-deal

Who is uneducated ?

Seems to me you are using his death in a disgusting attempt to score political points when the very party you support could hand over his killers to the Gardaí this afternoon if they chose.

I voted for them,hardly blindly support them....i was prepared to spoil my vote,until this become an election issue

I have said they should do,what they can to help get justice for that young chap.....seems to me,only person not wanting,justice for him included in programme for government is,em you

smurgen wrote: »
    What about Simon Harris ignoring the head of nursing homes Ireland calls, mails and letter for urgent help while while hudreads/ a thousand old people faces a lonely death in nursing homes?

You would be better looking at the guy running the nursing homes who sent an email and then sat back and done nothing.

smurgen wrote: »

Tbf that is free market idolgy belief...in that state shouldnt interfere in private business....thats what folks vote for

But being said Simon harris is 2nd only to gerry adams,and only non-retired politian,i hold in real esteem....he could easily hide away,as has cronic illness,but stood up to be counted,no bullsh1t and put life on the line for the country......if anyone has earned respect,and right to a pension early,its him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sinn Fein got exactly what you they wanted imo. They are now the main opposition party.

You would be better looking at the guy running the nursing homes who sent an email and then sat back and done nothing.

The issues were escalated to HIQA. HIQA raised to NPHET and nothing happened. No response until it was too late. Harris cannot claim ignorance. Where is your evidence ? All evidence points to Tadgh Daly proactively pursing the matter :

Throughout March, NHI raised its concerns on staffing, personal protective equipment and its representation on the National Public Health Emergency Team.

CEO Tadhg Daly also requested urgent meetings with senior department officials and the Minister for Health, but he did not meet Simon Harris until the end of the month."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0526/1141575-nursing-homes/

The line of them being privately run is mute. FG can involve themselves in private matters easily when it suits them. To say they couldn't do it to save our most vulnerable citizens in an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I love how SF folk want the IRA stuff to be ignored all while calling FG folk Blueshirts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

While I'm not sure about Mary Lou as a leader - she has developed a reputation for whining about absolutely everything - I do think SF will provide good opposition to the Govt (and I am far away from being a SF supporter).

Examples:
    Eoin O'Broin has been very good a developing thought out strategies and policies as alterantives, with details added - not just entirely pie in the sky stuff as is the norm for PBP or SF of old. They might still have weaknesses but they are properly debatable and a proper alternative.

In Pearse Doherty, they now have an experienced, known spokesman on the economy, again not without his faults but good enough to be seen as an alternative and to hold his own in the Dail against whoever is the Minister for Finance.

Matt Carty has impressed in his TV appearances, he comes across as well briefed in most things, definitely looks the part on TV and is a good speaker. Again he could become the face for SF easily.

On top of that, they have a whole rake of new TDs now that they can try and develope over the next few years and build a proper profile for. The more and more young TDs they develope now for the future, while having the opposition mantle mostly to themselves will pay massive dividends in the future, and again distance them from their past. (SDs really are now the only alternative for most, and they desperately need an to develope profiles of the younger TDs - take away Murphy and Shorthall and they've very little attention getters left - Gary Gannon is probably the next best known and this is just his 1st stint as a TD).

So SF now have a young, fresh pool to pick from (which can allow some of the older with baggage members likke Ellis to retire next time), while still having a mix recognisible, experienced members to hold new Govt to account. Yeah, I can see them being a good opposition - even better if they merged with SDs, or just tempered some of their more populist promises to make themselves a realistic alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No power, if I give you a tenner and tell you to get a hundred quits worth of orange blossoms, what you gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Monday morning quarter back with the physique of William 'Refrigerator' Perry.

I voted for them,hardly blindly support them....i was prepared to spoil my vote,until this become an election issue

I have said they should do,what they can to help get justice for that young chap.....seems to me,only person not wanting,justice for him included in programme for government is,em you

I wonder would it have been part of the program for government that SF had when Mary Lou declared herself the next Taoiseach after the last election. That ‘coalition of change’ never seemed to materialise for some unknown reason.

I wonder would it have been part of the program for government that SF had when Mary Lou declared herself the next Taoiseach after the last election. That ‘coalition of change’ never seemed to materialise for some unknown reason.

https://www.facebook.com/odran.obrien/videos/3452753968164836/

:P:P

Patser wrote: »
    While I'm not sure about Mary Lou as a leader - she has developed a reputation for whining about absolutely everything - I do think SF will provide good opposition to the Govt (and I am far away from being a SF supporter).

Examples:
    Eoin O'Broin has been very good a developing thought out strategies and policies as alterantives, with details added - not just entirely pie in the sky stuff as is the norm for PBP or SF of old. They might still have weaknesses but they are properly debatable and a proper alternative.

In Pearse Doherty, they now have an experienced, known spokesman on the economy, again not without his faults but good enough to be seen as an alternative and to hold his own in the Dail against whoever is the Minister for Finance.

Matt Carty has impressed in his TV appearances, he comes across as well briefed in most things, definitely looks the part on TV and is a good speaker. Again he could become the face for SF easily.

On top of that, they have a whole rake of new TDs now that they can try and develope over the next few years and build a proper profile for. The more and more young TDs they develope now for the future, while having the opposition mantle mostly to themselves will pay massive dividends in the future, and again distance them from their past. (SDs really are now the only alternative for most, and they desperately need an to develope profiles of the younger TDs - take away Murphy and Shorthall and they've very little attention getters left - Gary Gannon is probably the next best known and this is just his 1st stint as a TD).

So SF now have a young, fresh pool to pick from (which can allow some of the older with baggage members likke Ellis to retire next time), while still having a mix recognisible, experienced members to hold new Govt to account. Yeah, I can see them being a good opposition - even better if they merged with SDs, or just tempered some of their more populist promises to make themselves a realistic alternative.

No mention of some of the other new guns that have attracted attention such as Violet-Anne Wynne or Riada Cronin?

As i said,throw mud all about yous want.....the whole affair reflects very badly on martin and varadkar in my eyes anyway

Obviously not in yours,and thats ok too

• Advertisement

As i said,throw mud all about yous want.....the whole affair reflects very badly on martin and varadkar in my eyes anyway

Obviously not in yours,and thats ok too

Throw mud? The only reason you mentioned Paul Quinn in this thread was to ‘throw mud’.

Throw mud? The only reason you mentioned Paul Quinn in this thread was to ‘throw mud’.

No,it wasnt

I mentioned him as a reason i switched from spoiling my vote to voting for shinners as i dont believe cyncism should be rewarded

The omission of getting justice for him in.the programme for givernment,confirmed to me,it was a cynical election ploy anyway......i taught this position is fairly reasonable to hold tbh,in light of evidence shown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

They weren't silent, it just wasn't reported.
    FF reps on radio this morning talking up the deal all sound like they've been threatened ,no conviction in what they said, this is a coup in every way but name,
    All the things that SF are accused of is being practised by the leadership of FF/FG.
    We are no better than some corrupt former Soviet republic now.
    Sad and dangerous times.

So your saying the broadcasting ban of the media still in place?
    I do not believe that for one minute though, there are loads media platforms in place besides main stream media, SF chose not to engage with the general public since the lockdown until today after the Government is formed.
    Where did they say on facebook/twitter that they want to be in government in recent weeks? Silence cannot be reported...

No,it wasnt

I mentioned him as a reason i switched from spoiling my vote to voting for shinners as i dont believe cyncism should be rewarded

The omission of getting justice for him in.the programme for givernment,confirmed to me,it was a cynical election ploy anyway......i taught this position is fairly reasonable to hold tbh

Your party could hand the perpetrators over this afternoon if Mary Lou chose to. You have no interest in justice for the victim or his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Whilst I shudder to thing of the state they'd leave the place in if they ever got power, that is just a complete whitewash of FF and FG both stating that they would not go into govt with SF. They had no way of making up the numbers.

The point is SF did not engage and try, we all make an effort and if we fail that's ok.
    The very fact that they allowed FF and FG dictate while they had a clear mandate tells me what SF about...

Your party could hand the perpetrators over this afternoon if Mary Lou chose to. You have no interest in justice for the victim or his family.

And again...they arent my party,as i have outlined,id vote soc dem,if they about my area

I have said they should help get justice for him,in any way possible.....kind of cant do any more than that tbh

Who ever is over dept of justice going forward should accept resonsiblity if not enough resources put towards solving this imo (possibly include all justice ministers in having to answer qs since it happened too?)

No,it wasnt

The omission of getting justice for him in.the programme for givernment,confirmed to me,it was a cynical election ploy anyway......i taught this position is fairly reasonable to hold tbh,in light of evidence shown

Yes it was......
    Maybe time to grow up

And again...they arent my party,as i have outlined,id vote soc dem,if they about my area

I have said they should help get justice for him,in any way possible.....kind of cant do any more than that tbh

Who ever is over dept of justice going forward should accept resonsiblity if not enough resources put towards solving this imo (possibly include all justice ministers in having to answer qs since it happened too?)

Your on this forum nearly 24 x 7 telling everyone how great SF are and now your saying you are not SF supporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Your on this forum nearly 24 x 7 telling everyone how great SF are and now your saying you are not SF supporter?

SF have a large number of ‘18 hour a day merchants’ online who passionately defend a party they only voted for the 1st time in the last election......

• Advertisement

Except im not??

All i do is highlight hyprocrisy,where anywhere have i said SF are great,they are hypocrites too....just there any amount folks to critise them,while then fall in line and they blindly support ffg

You are at some stage,realise support for unity isnt equal to support shinners,varadkar has come out in favour of utd ireland like......its a politically extremist and isolated position here to oppose reunification

Advertisement