Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Valuation

Options
  • 15-06-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a house last autumn. The rebuild Valuation at the time was ridiculous (apparently due to potential future Brexit related import costs). The rebuild was valued at the sale price of the house + 120k Because of this the cost of my house insurance is higher than expected.

If I now went to get my house re-valued and the rebuild was cheaper could I get cheaper house insurance without any negative consequences? As in would it have potential to place my mortgage in negative equity?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't see how getting your house revalued would automatically change the rebuild cost.

The main risk you're facing is being under-insured if you underestimate the rebuild cost. For example if you insure for a rebuild cost of €240k but the real cost is €360k, you'll only receive two thirds of the cost of reinstating your house.

Keep in mind there are still more than a few houses around the country that would cost significantly more to reinstate than current market valuations.

Advertisement