Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity benefits Query

Options
  • 15-06-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭

I am a male and in the process of changing my job next month. Our baby is also due next month and there maybe 2 weeks of gap between my jobs, so essentially I maybe jobless for 2 weeks.
    Can I avail of 2 weeks paternity benefit while jobless?

Also, are there are any other paid leaves available for fathers?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

As far as I know paternity leave can't start until after the baby is born and can then be taken anytime in the first 6 months of the child's life. Jobseekers benefit might pay more than paternity benefit if you have enough PRSI contributions. There is also a new parents leave that is two weeks long too and it can be taken in the child's first year, I think its paid at the same rate as paternity leave which is around 245Euro per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you. A colleague told me we are entitled for extra 1 week if baby is born after 2019. But I am unable to find this info.
    Any idea what this benefit is called?
    Cash_Q wrote: »
    As far as I know paternity leave can't start until after the baby is born and can then be taken anytime in the first 6 months of the child's life. Jobseekers benefit might pay more than paternity benefit if you have enough PRSI contributions. There is also a new parents leave that is two weeks long too and it can be taken in the child's first year, I think its paid at the same rate as paternity leave which is around 245Euro per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Thank you. A colleague told me we are entitled for extra 1 week if baby is born after 2019. But I am unable to find this info. Any idea what this benefit is called?

That is the new parental leave, it applies to babies born after Nov 2019, it is two weeks and applies to mothers and fathers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Parent’s Leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you. I found it online now.

Its €245 per week for 2 weeks.

Could these 2 weeks be added immediately after the end of 26 weeks of maternity leave?
    Millem wrote: »
    Parent’s Leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Could these 2 weeks be added immediately after the end of 26 weeks of maternity leave?

You just need to take the parent’s leave before the baby’s first birthday.

In my work (public sector) we don’t get to add bank holidays and annual leave on at the end of our paid maternity leave so I don’t know what order the private sector have to do it!
    I am taking unpaid maternity leave after my paid maternity, then we get Easter holidays then I will take the Parent’s leave of €245 per week.

Once you stop unpaid maternity leave you can’t restart it so just be careful in case you want to take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The order would be paid mat leave, unpaid mat leave, parents leave then your holidays and bank holidays. And you need to give 6 weeks notice to take the parents leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Yep my HR told me that if you want to avail of the unpaid leave you need to take it before the parents leave. You don't have to take the parents leave before you go back to work if you don't want to - but you do have to take it before the child's 1st birthday so the most common thing is to take it at the end of maternity leave (or unpaid if you take that) before you return to payroll & use up any accrued holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

I agreed with HR in my company to take my parents leave after annual leave. So my leave will be as follows 26 weeks paid mat followed by a bit of unpaid then my hols/Bank hols and then the parents leave. Its great for me as I'll go back on a full wage for a few weeks with my hols before I drop to €245 for 2 weeks.

Advertisement