Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Suggestions

Options
  • 15-06-2020 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey, looking for some advice on upgrading my set up. Should i upgrade or do a new build next year?

1080p gaming at the moment but would like the option to go 1440.

I5 7600 CPU
    970 gtx 4GB
    Mobo MSI B250 PC MATE
    16gb Corsair Vengeance
    Samsung 250 GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    Coolermaster 650w PSU
    Corsair Carbide Series 270R Mid-Tower ATX Case

Was thinking to upgrade the gfx card but confused as to what i should get.. 5700 / 1660 / 1080 / 1070

Thanks for looking !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You're at the stage where you need a new setup. A gpu upgrade alone won't cut it for some of the more cpu demanding games.

I'd hold out a little bit longer at this stage though. New generations of graphics cards coming soon from AMD and Nvidia.

The good news is you can get something like a ryzen 3600 very cheap for how much better it is than those old i5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RX 5700 would be the best pound/performance I'd say, just make sure to get a good model.

GTX 1660 Super is about equivalent to a 1070, 1660 Super/Ti about a 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ah it's not an old i5. I read that as an i5 760 for some reason. A 7600 is fine but will still struggle with some games.

Maybe try and grab a second hand 4/8 or 6/12 i7 for that board socket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just be careful with the 2nd hand - a 6700 or 7700K will work fine if you can find a good deal 2nd hand though they typically sell for around 180-220 which is expensive considering a £110 Ryzen 3300X is identical in performance....but requires a motherboard change.

Also I don't think there are any 6 core options for B250M. I don't think Xeon's work on that chipset unfortunately.

It really depends on what games you play most as to how beneficial a CPU upgrade would be. Valorant, Overwatch, Apex, etc - sort of games that get on just fine with an i5-7600 and a new GPU would go a long way.

Battlefield, Modern Warfare....sort of games that struggle badly now with the older quad-thread i5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Nuxy

Thanks for the replys guys.

Where do you guys buy computer parts at the moment? 2nd hand or new? Iv been keeping an eye on adverts etc and have recently used amazon for RAM and a SSD.

In terms of games i am playing alot of Star Wars Battlefront 2 at the moment and Civ 6. Used to play play alot of SC2 and WoW, Witcher 3.
    I want to play Jedi Fallen Order soon and when the new assassins creed Valhalla comes out il want to play that also.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be the main game il be looking at playing when it releases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ is a good site for building your own pc, it will check compatibility issues as well as list a number of different vendors for each part.

You can switch it for other countries like Germany for other options as well, though bear in mind you might need to use chrome and translate those sites using the google translate tool that comes with chrome since a lot of the German sites dont have English language options, though many don't even deliver to the UK/Ireland so maybe it's a moot point. It's just another option I thought you should be aware of.

Also bear in mind parcel motel or address pal, so you can order things to UK addresses to save on postage costs direct to Ireland or for vendors who don't deliver to Ireland but will to the UK. Also quite handy for amazon.co.uk orders with prime, usually a lot cheaper and faster delivery using amazon prime along with a address pal or parcel motel uk address.

I try to order via amazon personally, for the prime advantages, plus I feel more comfortable with amazon for any faults or issues if i ever need to return an item.

Advertisement