Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 MIGHTY UNITED sisters & aunt BRAVERY. BRAVO LADIES RESPECT! RESPECT! RESPECT!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Absolute full respect for them & their strength in ensuring this man is punished for his actions.

I hope by coming forward and waiving their anonymity will give courage to others also. I'm sure nothing will take away the pain they have suffered but hope today's verdict gives them some small comfort

What an absolute sick individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

was truly heartbreaking to read about that.
    They are wonderful women and I hope they get some peace now.

Very brave women who have my upmost respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

What they went through was awful. I don't know if I would have the courage to waive my right to anonymity. I hope they are getting support from others. Such brave women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

This case needs Public Inquiry.

How could such horrific abuse be allowed happen.

Lets not shy away from the truth. People knew and particularly people in the wider family knew and did nothing. Was it ever reported to officialdom? If so what was the response?
    Was it covered up because of the family "culture"
    Did adults in the wider family cover up?
    What investigation if any happened when his daughter gave birth?
    People knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Edgware wrote: »

Lets not shy away from the truth. People knew and particularly people in the wider family knew and did nothing. Was it ever reported to officialdom? If so what was the response?
    People knew.
    On what grounds could there be a public inquiry? The State was not involved save in his conviction and the man has got what he deserved.

is_that_so wrote: »
    On what grounds could there be a public inquiry? The State was not involved save in his conviction and the man has got what he deserved.
    Several children were sexually abused for years by their father.

Why did it not come to the notice of another adult, Teacher, Doctor, Social Worker, Garda?
    What type of society is it that the offender can hide behind a culture.
    It's not good enough to say that the offender was convicted and jailed and then "Move along folks, nothing to see".
    The least that should be done is that it should be clarified whether or not the victims told any adult and what response if any was forthcoming.
    If not reported, why not? Were the victims silenced by some omerta within their community?
    If this happened in a state run or religious order run institution we would have an uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The real tragedy here is that the State and certain actors have turned a blind eye to the culture that allows for this.

A culture that does not value the education of girls, that marries them off at a young age, that revels in misogyny and that promotes the male as being supreme within his own household was always going to result in an incident like this. It is time that the Traveller community owns up to its faults and works on changing its culture, and it is time that the rest of us reach out to help them do so.

The practice of pretending that there is nothing wrong with Traveller culture has to end on all sides. The big responsibility is on organisations like Pavee Point. Sadly, I don't believe they are capable of doing anything. Most likely, they will sponsor a financial claim against the state rather than addressing the serious cultural issues at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any mention of their mother in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A public inquiry is justified on the grounds of; how did this happen for so long? Why did no arm of the state not get involved before? Etc etc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

+1.

They're definitely on manoeuvres to sue the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The Judges comments said it better than any empty and insincere platitudes -

Mr Justice Hunt also paid tribute to the women who he said dealt with the case with “courage, dignity, remarkable stoicism and an occasional flash of good humour.”

Edgware wrote: »

People knew.

All those details would have been examined as they applied to this individual case. They won’t have been the subject of a public inquiry and there won’t be one unless there were many more cases to come to light.

That’s why these women encouraging victims of abuse to come forward is so important, so that politicians would have little choice then but to call for a public inquiry due to the sheer number of people who are willing to come forward and not be afraid, to know that they will be supported and there is support out there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Cases like this are horrific,I didn't like how it was portrayed that because they are travellers it was somehow ignored growing up,by society, plenty of cases involving non travellers like this. A needless discrimination angle when what they went through was predatory,and covered up by those closest to them.

Cases like this are horrific,I didn't like how it was portrayed that because they are travellers it was somehow ignored growing up,by society, plenty of cases involving non travellers like this. A needless discrimination angle when what they went through was predatory,and covered up by those closest to them.

To be honest, I didn’t like the way they parsed and portrayed their abuse either through the lens of identity politics, but more important for me at least was that they found the courage and determination and support in each other to see that their own father was brought to justice for his crimes against them, and they encouraged other victims of abuse to come forward. They did so in the face of knowing that they could be ostracised, humiliated and completely ignored by the media, so I’m grateful to them for that much at least, and admire them for so much more.

The identity politics issue is insignificant by comparison to what these women have achieved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

padd b1975 wrote: »
    +1.

They're definitely on manoeuvres to sue the state.

Yes that's some well planned years of abuse, neglect, torture and starvation.

Would you look for compensation if it happened to you and your siblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Yes, from my parents.

I think these women are incredibly brave, in their own actions for seeking justice from their father but also encouraging women from their own community to do the same.

Historically, travellers lived on the absolute fringes of society and avoided the establishment at all costs. They weren't visible in the way they are today, they lived in caravans and moved around if disturbed by the outside world. It's very likely that these children weren't even registered by their parents when they were born. That's the fault of their parents and their (marginalised) community. I believe the best and most balanced thing that can be done to compensate them is putting their father where he belongs, behind bars for the rest of his life, assisting them to heal by way of counselling, and providing access to the education that their parents denied them as children, if they wish to take it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would consider a civil case, absolutely I would.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would consider a civil case, absolutely I would.
    The victims said that the pepetrator had plenty money so he should be targetted first

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think one of the sisters said they told but were not believed, was this a teacher if at school or another authority figure then if so yes an inquiry should happen

Those brave women, scarred for life, evil vile scum of a father

• Advertisement
Advertisement