Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Started but work still being done on house

Options
  • 15-06-2020 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

So I signed the lease on my a new place paying the rent and deposit. I started moving my stuff but it turns out they are still doing work on the place. The agency seem to have given a different date to me to move in and to the contractor carrying out work on the apartment. It should be ready before the lease ends on my current place but I am paying rent on a place that I can't move into yet. Does anyone know what rights I might have under such a situation to get compensated for the days I pay rent on where work is still being done on the place ? I am going to contact the IRTB chat support tomorrow to see. I can't see anything on the lease agreement specific to this but might have to look further into housing laws to see :/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Contact the agency/landlord first and tell them you're not happy about paying rent on an uninhabitable apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭global23214124

Graham wrote: »
    Contact the agency/landlord first and tell them you're not happy about paying rent on an uninhabitable apartment.

So that part I have done but I seem to be getting the run around, at least for now. I'll be a bit more firm on whats required but failing that, looking for other options to escalate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd avoid using words like compensate/rights when talking to them, it's only going to get peoples backs up.

Tell them (politely) that you expect the start date for the lease to be put on hold until the apartment is ready to be occupied. Any rent paid so far to cover from the date the newly agreed date. Take photographs if you have the opportunity but try not to be so obvious that you wind people up while you do it.

Be reasonable if there's a few inconsequential items unfinished as long as they get finished in a timely manner.

In my personal opinion, RTB should be a last resort, not a first call.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So I signed the lease on my a new place paying the rent and deposit. I started moving my stuff but it turns out they are still doing work on the place.:/
    Such as painting, or more physical stuff? When is your "move out" date for your current place? Although they may get the contractor to stop quickly, any issues that you have may just be blamed on unfinished work.

Painting, wiring, light repairs. Ah 27th of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like the previous tenants may have liked copper.

Would tell the agency that you need to move in this weekend. Shouldn't take that long, unless the agents are getting someone to do it after work as a nixer.

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like the previous tenants may have liked copper.

Would tell the agency that you need to move in this weekend. Shouldn't take that long, unless the agents are getting someone to do it after work as a nixer.

Ha perhaps. Yeah thats a good shout. I'll specify I'm moving in fully Saturday or something. I had a talk with the contractor and they outlined what needed to be done and it should take a couple of days. The agency seem to be going quiet which is annoying as I don't want to paid rent for nothing but I think it will work out.

Advertisement