Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

This deosnt vindicate anyone,and whoever taught releasing this was going to help the polices case,has made an horrendous error in judgement

Thought..ffs basic grammar isn't hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Bit of an understatement. This is the same guy who had a history of robbing pregnant women at gunpoint.

It takes a special kind of scumbag to specialize in that kind of crime.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

DelaneyIn wrote:
    Imagine wanting to base your entire revolution on this guy.

He's the hero they deserve

Says the person who chose collywobble7 as a name.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

I didn't choose the name. The name chose me nose grower

Remount your imaginary horse and be gone.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Remount your imaginary horse and be gone.

Cut it out the pair of you. Put each other on ignore if you cannot otherwise resist being uncivil to each other

Now back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

It's strange how George Floyd has been the biggest story in the western world for two months but then the body cam footage is finally released and it doesn't trend on Twitter or get treated as headline news by most of the mass media.

Riots, protests, houses and businesses burned down, assaults and murders all over this drug riddled career criminal. It would be hilarious if it weren’t so tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's strange how George Floyd has been the biggest story in the western world for two months but then the body cam footage is finally released and it doesn't trend on Twitter or get treated as headline news by most of the mass media.

Riots, protests, houses and businesses burned down, assaults and murders all over this drug riddled career criminal. It would be hilarious if it weren’t so tragic.

The new footage doesn't change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Overheal wrote: »

It shows Floyd was fk‘d up out of his mind on fentanyl and fought cops while resisting arrest. It also shows him say “I can’t breathe” repeatedly, while standing, resisting and finally while being restrained. He also asked to be put on the ground and he was restrained as the officer waited for emergency service.

So basically it goes against the entire narrative. You got played by the media, hook, line and sinker as you cheer-leaded the destruction of your own nations cities.

It shows Floyd was fk‘d up out of his mind on fentanyl

No, it does not. Expert forensic pathologists disagree with your assessment.
    and fought cops while resisting arrest.

Doesn't really show that, either. Cops had him in cuffs quickly. This camera footage doesn't show any resisting it shows extreme close up of George Floyd's back. Did you even watch it?
    It also shows him say “I can’t breathe” repeatedly, while standing,

Timestamp for this? :confused:

The first time he mentions not being able to breathe it's almost 8 minutes in, he is definitely not standing, and the body camera does not show what is happening with his face or neck.
    resisting and finally while being restrained. He also asked to be put on the ground and he was restrained as the officer waited for emergency service.

Where he was killed after having been kneed on the neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, which the new footage doesn't even cover, it is only 8:38 long and only shows what happens before the fatal maneuver; it fades to black after the altercation transitions to what is already known. I don't see any resistance I see him having an anxiety attack because his handcuffs are on too tight, and pleading that they roll the window down.
    So basically it goes against the entire narrative. You got played by the media, hook, line and sinker as you cheer-leaded the destruction of your own nations cities.

Based on your take on the video I'm not actually convinced you watched it so it's incredible to me that you think it goes for or against any 'narrative'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

>Expert forensic pathologists

That just says that he wasn't so ****ed up that he overdosed, doesn't say he wasn't high or out of it

>Expert forensic pathologists

That just says that he wasn't so ****ed up that he overdosed, doesn't say he wasn't high or out of it

No: they specifically said they saw no evidence in the footage of excited delirium, sweating, or anything else that would suggest he was high on either drug at the time of his death.

Guy cried wolf.

Guy cried wolf.

You must be joking

You must be joking

Have you ever been the victim of extreme random violence?

Overheal wrote:
    I don't see any resistance I see him having an anxiety attack because his handcuffs are on too tight, and pleading that they roll the window down.

Amazing how people see exactly what they want to see. I didn't see any of that.

People who hold guns at pregnant women's bellies don't have panic attacks because handcuffs are too tight. It's absurd. I've had people enter my home in the middle of the night and hold a knife to my throat, much like George Floyd did to that woman. It's comical to think of those scumbags getting arrested and the handcuffs driving them over the edge into panic.

I think Overheal has just lived a very sheltered life away from extreme violence and the people capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It doesn't matter what Floyd did or what the videos show.

People are too invested now and won't backtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The media are an absolute f*cking disgrace treating this guy like a hero, while America burns, their hatred of Trump is so pathological they'll get behind anything that will damage him.

And shame on media over here too fawning over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This was my post in the original thread:
    The point is that the responsibility extends only so far. If you resist, you're more likely to get thrown to ground, maybe even punched and so on...and such things might be justified. Resisting arrest might give the police reason to be more phyiscal, maybe much more, but that only extends until any threat has been neutralised. It doesn't give them carte blanche to do what they like.

Whatever might have happened before, the situation had reached a point where Floyd was lying on the ground, handcuffed, with a knee on his throat.

Whether he had been resisting or not, and his resistance had merited him receiving some rough treatment or not, is no longer relevant. He has been restrained and handcuffed and is lying on the ground. He no longer represents any threat.

Even if you want to argue that he should bear some responisbility for getting rough treatment in arriving at that point, he doesn't bear any responsibility for anything from that point on.

In terms of 'vindicating the police', I don't see how this bodycam video changes things really.

Most of the 'defence' of the police I've seen on this forum and elsewhere has basically boiled down to 'Well he was a scumbag anyway' which isn't really a defence at all, as police don't have carte blance to do what they like with scumbags after they've got them cuffed and lying on the ground. Maybe this video allows that defence to be extended to 'Well he was a drugged-out arrest-resisting scumbag anyway', but the police still don't have carte blanche to do what they like with drugged-out arrest-resisting scumbags after they've got them cuffed and lying on the ground.

From a legal perspective, I can't see how the footage would help the police with a defence. The only bit they might use is the idea that he was pretending he was already struggling to breathe, but if that is the case, I don't see how the officer will be able to justify putting his knee on the neck of a man who was saying he was struggling to breathe.

Maybe the most likely way the footage can help is to get the official post-mortem revisited. As long as as Floyd's death is officially ruled a homicide, I think the police will have real problems offering a defence against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s very odd that this footage isn’t getting more attention in the media ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It’s very odd that this footage isn’t getting more attention in the media ?

It is isnt it. 15 hours ago it was published, its only been re-published by CBS minnesota. Paltry amounts of views on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No: they specifically said they saw no evidence in the footage of excited delirium, sweating, or anything else that would suggest he was high on either drug at the time of his death.

Is there no other evidence than people examining the footage of the incident? Surely they would have tested for drugs during the post mortem?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bagdad-bob.jpg

The narrative men!!! Save the narrative!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Terrible thing to happen but If only he did not resist arrest and escalate the situation he would still be alive today, We can now see this situation is not about race at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Terrible thing to happen but If only he did not resist arrest and escalate the situation he would still be alive today, We can now see this situation is not about race at all.

This is it, the no.1 cause of death by police in the US is resisting arrest.

And before anyone gets smart with it, you can still resist arrest while having handcuffs on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It is isnt it. 15 hours ago it was published, its only been re-published by CBS minnesota. Paltry amounts of views on it.

It’s almost like all the media are ignoring it??

Why would they do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement