Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Campogna

Since George Floyd was killed I have despised Chauvin and the American police and legal systems that are imbued with institutional racism.

When I saw the new leaked footage, I assumed it would be further proof of an obviously racist cop trying to make George's life way harder than it needs to be and being an outright villain. I thought it would be another poignant video showing a man's last few minutes on earth as he was about to be murdered.

From the beginning of the video however, I was wondering why George was acting so erratic and screaming things that didn't make sense. The cop whose bodycam the footage was from was also trying to accommodate George, saying that he would roll the window down and that he would sit in the car with him due to his claustrophobia. He went to the other side of the car and opened the door to make space, this was when George, who had been refusing to enter the car for a time now was screaming (he also screamed he couldn't breathe) and when he was forcibly put into the car, he dived through the other side, on top of the cop, and that was when the altercation that led to Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck happened.

For anyone to say that George was acting reasonably, I think is being purposely dishonest. This video is 8 clear minutes of George screaming the same things over again, crying and refusing to comply with basic instructions. However, is that a reason to be killed? Of course not. I don't think the BLM movement is fragile enough to completely implode with this new footage and that is why people should accept that it makes the situation less clear and move on. Before this footage was leaked, all of the information we had available showed that George was the victim of vastly disproportionate force that killed him.

Now? We see the difficult position the cop was in. He was dealing with someone who was undergoing some sort of drug-induced hysteria or psychosis (and the cop seemed incompetent when it came to dealing with this type of person). We also know that meth and fentanyl were present in George's blood, and he also had 2 quite serious heart problems. He was restrained using a technique that these cops were commonly trained to use. The problem that this footage introduces is that now, it is more plausible to argue in court that George was undergoing an overdose during the incident which can be inferred from the drugs in his system and his extremely erratic behaviour, not to mention the stress of being arrested. This could potentially lead to bodycam cop being acquitted and (what would be even more controversial) Chauvin as well.

People who say this footage changes nothing seem to be trying to cling on to the original depiction of events where racist cop arrests black man and takes the first chance he can to kill him, but we see now the situation isn't so clear cut.

What scares me most is that if Chauvin is acquitted then Minneapolis will be burnt to the ground. I want to see institutional change to the systems in America that target and have long targeted black people and minorities. But I don't want this to be done through outrage, burning down buildings and violence, especially when this particular situation shows that it might even be an injustice to the bodycam cop (Chauvin is far less clear) for him to be found guilty of murder or even manslaughter.

FWIW, what becomes evidentially the most damning thing now against Chauvin is just how long he was on George's neck. Once George was subdued they should have immediately extricated him from that dangerous position, but now it is for the jury to decide whether George was killed by a heart attack and Chauvin's use of force was irrelevant or whether Chauvin had a duty to save George, or whether George was killed by this use of force regardless of the other alleged symptoms of overdose he was going through.

Therefore, I think, the least this footage should do is to make one reconsider the situation and not outright disregard it or adopt it as part of one's political agenda to de-legitimize BLM and the very real struggles of being a minority in America (and even ignore a tragic loss of life) like commenters above me have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People who hold guns at pregnant women's bellies don't have panic attacks because handcuffs are too tight. It's absurd. I've had people enter my home in the middle of the night and hold a knife to my throat, much like George Floyd did to that woman. It's comical to think of those scumbags getting arrested and the handcuffs driving them over the edge into panic.

I think Overheal has just lived a very sheltered life away from extreme violence and the people capable of it.

Can we stop this ridiculous misinformation already: He wasn't the perp who held the gun to the woman. It also played zero bearing or justification on his killing.

You can sod off with your personal opinion of me. I don't do that to you.

Bambi wrote: »

The narrative men!!! Save the narrative!!

Tell me what it changes?

Campogna wrote: »
    People who say this footage changes nothing seem to be trying to cling on to the original depiction of events where racist cop arrests black man and takes the first chance he can to kill him, but we see now the situation isn't so clear cut.

Whatever you think it changes about the situation it does nothing to justify the 8:46 choke that killed George Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Campogna

Which is exactly what I said in my own response to the video...

• Advertisement

And that's the bottom line for most people. Nothing he did and no amount of drugs he was on or not on justifies how he was treated. Suspected of a fraud $20 note but they walk up on him guns drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

People who hold guns at pregnant women's bellies don't have panic attacks because handcuffs are too tight. It's absurd. I've had people enter my home in the middle of the night and hold a knife to my throat, much like George Floyd did to that woman. It's comical to think of those scumbags getting arrested and the handcuffs driving them over the edge into panic.

I think Overheal has just lived a very sheltered life away from extreme violence and the people capable of it.
    Agree.
    I had my house robbed many years ago in similar circumstances, separately to that a mcdonalds I worked in as a 16 year old was robbed at gun point

To either of the perps involved I'd have loved them to get the Chauvin treatment. Nothing but scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Overheal wrote: »
    And that's the bottom line for most people. Nothing he did and no amount of drugs he was on or not on justifies how he was treated. Suspected of a fraud $20 note but they walk up on him guns drawn.

In fairness though, you saying you don't see any evidence of resisting arrest in the video is just being dishonest. He didn't deserve what happened, and I hope justice will be done, but at least try to be objective to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think you live in the States. As such you know (or should know) the dangers that cops face on a daily basis. Having their guns drawn when dealing with a suspect is not very unusual. Having guns drawn makes it much less likely that a suspect can get the jump on them if the suspect decides to get violent.

I'm not absolving the cops from this being a wrongful killing by the way (not yet anyway), but you can't blame the cops for having their guns drawn.

Floyd claiming he is claustrophobic when he is being put into a car.........minutes after he is taken out of another car. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

In fairness though, you saying you don't see any evidence of resisting arrest in the video is just being dishonest. He didn't deserve what happened, and I hope justice will be done, but at least try to be objective to some degree.

Objectively in those sections of video we see the camera shoved up against his back and people saying 'stop resisting' - we don't see ****. The most resistance was him not wanting to get inside the SUV. In legalese that is resistance enough, but it blows my mind that from that point they dragged him back out of the vehicle and choked him out on the ground, which is the type of thing you'd more likely associate with a suspect trying to flee from custody.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think you live in the States. As such you know (or should know) the dangers that cops face on a daily basis. Having their guns drawn when dealing with a suspect is not very unusual. Having guns drawn makes it much less likely that a suspect can get the jump on them if the suspect decides to get violent.

I'm not absolving the cops from this being a wrongful killing by the way (not yet anyway), but you can't blame the cops for having their guns drawn.

I do live in the states and I have had multiple interactions with police of varying degrees and never had a gun drawn on me sorry that's bull**** and not regular procedure. They don't just walk up to your car with a gun to your head and ask for license and registration. That maneuver there was a white cop irrationally scared of a big burly black man.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Objectively in those sections of video we see the camera shoved up against his back and people saying 'stop resisting' - we don't see ****. The most resistance was him not wanting to get inside the SUV. In legalese that is resistance enough, but it blows my mind that from that point they dragged him back out of the vehicle and choked him out on the ground, which is the type of thing you'd more likely associate with a suspect trying to flee from custody.

that just didn't happen, everyone can see that he launched himself back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Floyd claiming he is claustrophobic when he is being put into a car.........minutes after he is taken out of another car. :pac::pac::pac:

His actions and way of speaking are not consistent with what I'd expect from someone who's right in the head. I'd have to agree with the assessment of the woman seen in the bodycam footage (I think she claimed to be an ex of his?) that he "has some issues", definitely. Doesn't mean it was appropriate to place a knee his neck until he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That maneuver there was a white cop irrationally scared of a big burly black man.

You forgot to mention the black cop and the Asian cop that were present...or did they dance up with Daisy chains ? While the evil white cop had his gun drawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He seems to be completely demented from the very first interaction he has with the police

Thankfully we no longer just execute "demented" people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Yes he resists not getting into the SUV for quite some time, then exits the vehicle himself and says "I'll just lay down." That's absolutely not an excuse to get a knee to the neck to the point of death, but the twisting of details to suit an overall viewpoint is tiresome. It's ok to acknowledge that he behaved inappropriately and was unlawfully killed.

JJayoo wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the black cop and the Asian cop that were present...or did they dance up with Daisy chains ? While the evil white cop had his gun drawn?

Implicit bias against blacks is not the sole remit of whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and implicit bias against blacks is not the sole reason police arrest blacks.

and implicit bias against blacks is not the sole reason police arrest blacks.

Nobody said it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

I do live in the states and I have had multiple interactions with police of varying degrees and never had a gun drawn on me sorry that's bull**** and not regular procedure. They don't just walk up to your car with a gun to your head and ask for license and registration. That maneuver there was a white cop irrationally scared of a big burly black man.

You're called to arrest a 6 feet 6, 240-lb man who you have been told is 'awfully drunk' and 'not in control of himself'. Having your gun out could not be called irrational.

Keep digging though, it's quite a spectacle.

i didn't say it's regular procedure, I said it's not very unusual. I've seen plenty of clips online where cops approach suspects with their firearms drawn.

I've had interractions with cops in the States and they never drew their pistol when talking to me, probably because I'm not very threatening looking. Floyd on the other hand, is a big burly dude so I'd guess the cops would be more careful dealing with him than when dealing with me or my 77 year old mother.

Obviously, given the numbers of blacks killed by blacks.

Nermal wrote: »
    You're called to arrest a 6 feet 6, 240-lb man who you have been told is 'awfully drunk' and 'not in control of himself'. Having your gun out could not be called irrational.

Keep digging though, it's quite a spectacle.

No we don't see many calls out to suspected intoxication interactions with police in the US where the default is to pull the gun out on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Could they not have given the drug addled burglar a hug?

No we don't see many calls out to suspected intoxication interactions with police in the US where the default is to pull the gun out on the person.

Floyd was in a car. The cops couldn't see whether Floyd had a gun or not.

I don't blame them one bit for protecting themselves by having their guns drawn.

And it's not as unusual as you seem to be making out. It'll take you 20 seconds to do a quick Google and you'll probably come up with thousands of Youtube videos where you'll see cops approaching vehicles with their firearms drawn.

That's irrelevant though. Whether they had their guns drawn is immaterial. They aren't in trouble for having their guns drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's not about one man, it's about a system.

Comical.

You knelt in his name, painted murals of him, set aside your social distance charades to give him a hero's funeral.

Condoned rioting and vandalism in his honour. Made him your spiritual king, raised literally millions, to be spent on who knows what.

Chanted 'all cops are bastards' and said 'defund the police'.

Don't worm out of it now.

The video shows it was a normal police killing / murder and not racial. It clearly shows he's out of it and if you've seen a video of what a big guy on pcp is capable of, you'll understand why the cops restrained him. They went too far and it ended in his death.

That's all that really matters. It isn't a BLM thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nermal wrote: »
    Comical.

raised literally millions, to be spent on who knows what.

Crystal meth and Democrat candidates in that order.

Perhaps the next time, the reds will have a hero who isn't a hood.

• Advertisement

The video shows it was a normal police killing / murder and not racial. It clearly shows he's out of it and if you've seen a video of what a big guy on pcp is capable of, you'll understand why the cops restrained him. They went too far and it ended in his death.

That's all that really matters. It isn't a BLM thing.

So he's the guy who pointed the gun at a pregnant woman and on previously unreported PCP?

You're on a roll for disinformation today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement