Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

2u2me wrote: »
    It's much easier to get an understanding of what he's saying from 1.5hours of conversation than those printed questions/answers in that article!

Here's a clip of that discussion in relation to the death of George Floyd.

We're still at the symbolic stage; lacking leadership.
    • We shouldn't just change the window dressing and the guilding, this has to be foundational that will create something lasting.
    • What is underlying this is not just racial inequalities
    • What needs to change is this idea that we build our society from top down.
    • The lockdown has proven that the most valuable people to society are most often the least rewarded.(Health care workers, shop assistants etc..)
    • Since the 80's the investor class has gotten a break and the working class has been minimized. We've overvalued investment and undervalued actual work.

Well Jon Stewart is an interesting one to talk.
    What is this “we” he talks about.
    He has a net worth of $120 million (investor class). Is he planning on giving all his money away?
    Changing society, instead of the top down method. Jon is one of the people on top and he is going to remain there, come hell or high water.
    I used to watch his show, about 15 years ago. He had a segment were he would poke fun of White Christian preachers. He himself is not Christian, shouldn't he apologist for his Hate? And what about the money he made from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"A Hennepin County judge set a tentative trial date of March 8 for the four men. Separately, one of the former officers, J. Alexander Kueng, filed a document stating he intended to plead not guilty, claiming self-defense and saying that his use of force was reasonable and authorized. None of the other former officers have entered a plea."

"Judge Peter Cahill admonished prosecutors to do their best to keep down pretrial publicity, saying it could affect the defendants’ chances at getting a fair trial and make it more likely that a change of venue would be granted."

"The court battles are likely to pit Mr. Chauvin against the three other former officers, whom attorneys are likely to paint as unwitting participants in a brutal slaying by a veteran police officer, according to public statements made by their lawyers."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-other-police-officers-charged-in-george-floyds-killing-11593439962

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Well Jon Stewart is an interesting one to talk.
    What is this “we” he talks about.
    He has a net worth of $120 million (investor class). Is he planning on giving all his money away?
    Changing society, instead of the top down method. Jon is one of the people on top and he is going to remain there, come hell or high water.
    I used to watch his show, about 15 years ago. He had a segment were he would poke fun of White Christian preachers. He himself is not Christian, shouldn't he apologist for his Hate? And what about the money he made from it.

He certainly is, he single-handedly spawned the late night comedy that now drowns us all.

Did you watch the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53218197

Is this not a form of blackface tho ?
    seriously, it's getting so nuts I don't know what is considered offensive or not ...
    funny you should say that, do you know them old white-walled tyres you'd see on vintage cars? thats actually the natural colour of rubber, they add carbon to make them more flexible/ durable
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    Cops decide to storm a peaceful violin vigil.

Cops decides to push over protester who is doing nothing wrong.

Protests haven't stopped, cops haven't stopped embarrassing themselves.

there's just something about police and violins, they can't help themselves...

He certainly is, he single-handedly spawned the late night comedy that now drowns us all.

Did you watch the podcast?

I never did his podcasts, watched him only on live TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I never did his podcasts, watched him only on live TV.

Well they address the point you made(That they are the investor class), that they would be willing to give more of their money away if it leads to a better world. I'm sure there are many in the investor class that aren't arguing as such.

Well they address the point you made(That they are the investor class), that they would be willing to give more of their money away if it leads to a better world. I'm sure there are many in the investor class that aren't arguing as such.
    I don't understand, he already is giving money away(animal charities)
    what's he waiting for, to give the rest of his wealth away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"A Hennepin County judge set a tentative trial date of March 8 for the four men. Separately, one of the former officers, J. Alexander Kueng, filed a document stating he intended to plead not guilty, claiming self-defense and saying that his use of force was reasonable and authorized. None of the other former officers have entered a plea."

"Judge Peter Cahill admonished prosecutors to do their best to keep down pretrial publicity, saying it could affect the defendants’ chances at getting a fair trial and make it more likely that a change of venue would be granted."

"The court battles are likely to pit Mr. Chauvin against the three other former officers, whom attorneys are likely to paint as unwitting participants in a brutal slaying by a veteran police officer, according to public statements made by their lawyers."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-other-police-officers-charged-in-george-floyds-killing-11593439962

A bit more info To expand on kueng's defense..

"Rule 9 disclosures are required under the Minnesota Rules of Criminal Procedure. Among the defenses that could be presented at trial under Rule 9.02(1)(5) are self defense, entrapment, mental illness or cognitive impairment, duress, alibi, double jeopardy, an expiration of the statute of limitations, collateral estoppel, certain statutory defensive postures where prosecutors alleged multiple counts related to the same crime, and intoxication."

"The first defense Kueng says he will employ at trial is self defense. Under Minnesota common law, the defendant has the burden of proving the core self-defense claim; then, “the state has the burden of disproving one or more of these elements beyond a reasonable doubt”:"

(1) the absence of aggression or provocation on the part of the defendant;

(2) the defendant’s actual and honest belief that he or she was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm;

(3) the existence of reasonable grounds for that belief; and

(4) the absence of a reasonable possibility of retreat to avoid the danger.

"The second defense Kueng plans to use is reasonable use of force. In so noting, Kueng’s attorney cited a statute which says deadly force is “justified only when necessary” in the following situations:"

(1) to protect the peace officer or another from apparent death or great bodily harm;

(2) to effect the arrest or capture, or prevent the escape, of a person whom the peace officer knows or has reasonable grounds to believe has committed or attempted to commit a felony involving the use or threatened use of deadly force; or

(3) to effect the arrest or capture, or prevent the escape, of a person whom the officer knows or has reasonable grounds to believe has committed or attempted to commit a felony if the officer reasonably believes that the person will cause death or great bodily harm if the person’s apprehension is delayed.

"The third defense Kueng will use, according to the documents, is authorized use of force by a police officer. Under Minnesota law, “reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other’s consent” under certain circumstances, which relevantly include when a police officer is “effecting a lawful arrest” or “executing any other duty imposed upon the public officer by law,” or “when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person,” or “when used by any person to prevent the escape, or to retake following the escape, of a person lawfully held on a charge or conviction of a crime.”

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-death/ex-minneapolis-cop-charged-in-george-floyd-death-plans-to-argue-self-defense-reasonable-use-of-force-at-trial-documents/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

As I said weeks ago we have scummy entitled white scum doing all this nonsense in the name of black lives matter, when most black people have even spoke out against what is done in their name.

look at this white BLM protesting scumbag attacking a black guy....the irony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlKYwJMhvHs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

As I said weeks ago we have scummy entitled white scum doing all this nonsense in the name of black lives matter, when most black people have even spoke out against what is done in their name.

Do you have a link to back that claim up by chance?

Last I saw, 86% of black people, 77% of Hispanics, 75% of Asians and 60% of white people supported the protests: https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2020/06/12/amid-protests-majorities-across-racial-and-ethnic-groups-express-support-for-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

• Advertisement

Last I saw, 86% of black people, 77% of Hispanics, 75% of Asians and 60% of white people supported the protests: https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2020/06/12/amid-protests-majorities-across-racial-and-ethnic-groups-express-support-for-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

in the previous thread...part 1 there were a few videos posted of black people speaking out what is being done in their name.

Are you telling me black people are in favour of the violence in their name then ?????

in the previous thread...part 1 there were a few videos posted of black people speaking out what is being done in their name.

Are you telling me black people are in favour of the violence in their name then ?????
    You said most black people, do you have 22 million or so of those videos, or some kind of polling or survey to back that statement up?

That is why I showed you that 86% of black people support the protests. A majority of all races do. It's why large corporations are getting behind it. It's why sports leagues are doing sharp u turns on matters relating to protests. It's why the confederate flag is being removed from state flags and banned from sporting events, and it's why states are electing to take down statues as a result of them. Because the protests are popular, not just with black people but with the majority of all races, and because they are winning.

And though some really, really seem to wish it would - the fact is that a few random videos of people tearing down posters doesn't change that.

You said most black people, do you have 22 million or so of those videos, or some kind of polling or survey to back that statement up?

That is why I showed you that 86% of black people support the protests. A majority of all races do. It's why large corporations are getting behind it. It's why sports leagues are doing sharp u turns on matters relating to protests. It's why the confederate flag is being removed from state flags and banned from sporting events, and it's why states are electing to take down statues as a result of them. Because the protests are popular, not just with black people but with the majority of all races, and because they are winning.

And though some really, really seem to wish it would - the fact is that a few random videos of people tearing down posters doesn't change that.
    I seriously have to question the intelligence levels of people on here when it comes to grasping the most basic English.

Where did I mention protests ?
    I clearly stated most black people are against any violence in their name.

You can agree with protests, which I do, and completely be against violence....they are 2 separate things.

I firmly believe the majority of black people are against violence done in their name, especially if it is by entitled white scum which my initial p[ost was clearly stating.

Do you think black people are pro violence then ?
    You ignored the question in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

I seriously have to question the intelligence levels of people on here when it comes to grasping the most basic English.

Where did I mention protests ?
    I clearly stated most black people are against any violence in their name.

You can agree with protests, which I do, and completely be against violence....they are 2 separate things.

I firmly believe the majority of black people are against violence done in their name, especially if it is by entitled white scum which my initial p[ost was clearly stating.

Do you think black people are pro violence then ?
    You ignored the question in my last post.
    That guys not "against violence in his name" as you're putting it. He's against the protests so feels its ok to rip down the posters that support it. The other guy is an ar*ehole to put it mildly, but don't go pretending the person ripping up posters etc is making soem grand statement about "violence in his name".

The black guy here isn't pro violence or anti violence from what I can see, he is anti protest and says as much.

I believe most black people are against violence, but are also fed up of peaceful protest being ignored and even vilified, which they have seen the president of the US and many of his followers doing in recent years. A reaction like we've seen was unfortunately inevitable, and it's also winning because most people are well aware it was too. The violence has died down a good bit more recently in the protests which is good, now that they have people's attention.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Can I ask what drew you to alt right, wife battering goon Avi Yemini?

That’s what people might say in an opinion poll. But the reality is, the protesters on the streets are mostly White.

That’s what people might say in an opinion poll. But the reality is, the protesters on the streets are mostly White.

Seems quite a mish mash to be honest, plenty of black, white, Hispanic and Asian people out there. After all, the majority of pretty much every race agrees with these protests and white people make up the majority of Americans while only 1 in 8 are Black, so plenty of non black people being there shouldn't be surprising.

White people being in attendance at these protests doesn't mean black people are not allowed approve of these same protests, by the way.

again you are trying to spin the initial post in to a debate on protests.

I stated clearly most black people are against violence committed in their name. Nowhere in my initial post did I mention protests.

again you are trying to spin the initial post in to a debate on protests.

I stated clearly most black people are against violence committed in their name. Nowhere in my initial post did I mention protests.
    You have yet to show anything beyond a random video or two of what you claim to be over 23mn black people. Some polling or survey evidence, or really anything beyond 1 or 2 videos on youtube will help.

• Advertisement

This may have already been posted, sorry, I don't have time to read all of the thread, but here's my two cents worth.

I believe a peaceful protest was necessary, but I vehemently disagree with both the violence that was displayed, both by some protestors, AND some police.

I'm disgusted at the way the real issues were swept aside by the "Black lives matter" slogan - because the issue is police brutality, and though it is statistically more prevalent against members of the black community, it is also true to say that there is certainly an issue with police brutality against other communities as well.

So, why does it only matter if the victim of police brutality is Black?

Is brutality not equally wrong irrespective of the skin colour of the victim? And, is suggesting that "Black lives matter" when there are also white, Hispanic, or A.N. other victims not inherently racist in and of itself?

You have yet to show anything beyond a random video or two of what you claim to be over 23mn black people. Some polling or survey evidence, or really anything beyond 1 or 2 videos on youtube will help.

I stated the majority of black people do not want violence in their name.

Are you suggesting they do ?

Its a simple yes or no.

Its a simple yes or no.

I'm suggesting that I don't known and am asking you to back up your claim that "most black people [out of the 40mn+ in the US] have already spoken out against this" by showing me where over 20mn of them did, or even something like polling or survey data. Basically something to show you're not simply making stuff up and passing your own opinion on as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Some now starting to distance themselves from Black Lives Matter.

It's about time

Rodin wrote: »

It's about time

The premier league or was it something else you're referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The premier league or was it something else you're referring to?

Them for a start.
    Should never have emblazoned the jerseys.

BBC also banning badges

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's about time

It's not as simple as that. They are distancing themselves from BLMUK because of some of the tweets they posted.

They are not distancing themselves from the view behind the BLM protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its a simple yes or no.

Oh the privilege of a white man to speak for the majority of black people based purely off his own assumption

It's about time

indeed, the media hype has thankfully died down, and the true nature of the scum involved in this facade is becoming more evident.

Far too many people were using the unfair treatment of some black people as an excuse for them to act like maggots,

• Advertisement

Black or Brown lives do not Matter.
    3 murdered over night in Boston.
    The Mayor, Marty Walsh says the usual BS "The violence is unacceptable,"
    Where is the BLM gang ?
    Look at the comments in the newspaper article.
    https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07/03/3-inlcuding-15-year-old-boy-killed-in-boston-in-1-day/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement