Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile in Dijon, France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Birmingham was always a fairly violent city though. Cities like that were rough places to live throughout the industrial revolution, pre and post WWI and WWII.
    Well I have lived in the UK a long time after coming from Dundalk and going to UCD. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years (20 years ago), and although I would admit that there are some people who appeared to hold ill feeling over the pub bombings, but I can tell you I saw a lot more violence in Dundalk on a Saturday night that I ever saw there. I would also say that Birmingham is on the whole a friendly city where people of all cultures and backgrounds get on.

Regarding the impact of immigration on the countries where people come to decent living, I would argue that it makes the UK a far more welcoming and inclusive place, particularly for people who are immigrants (like me) than it would appear Ireland is.

When will we realise that we have been exporting people to better their lot for hundreds of years, and it is simply unfair and unjust to imagine that people would not come to us when we have what they deserve as much as any of us. Sorry for the speech, but that is my bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    That generation was branded by some in the UK, USA etc as thieves, criminals, drunks layabouts and terrorists in the extreme cases. We have short memories as a nation.

And branded correctly as such when compared to the risk of same from other nations. Were it not for the fact that we were cheap labour, immigration of people from Ireland would sensibly have been set at near zero in those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Imagine going to their countries and carrying on like that..

Christ :eek: That's disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭beachhead

Last poster is 100% correct.Some had collars.And then we made countries"great"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But some cultures don't want to merge with society . Look at this video of a March in Luton by Muslims , do they seem like the type of people who'll integrate to society

https://youtu.be/b2nlIfn8tNA
    The humorous thing is that they leave their country because of the hate, and then make hate in their new country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

One thing I can't get my head around is this...

Even if you are the most liberal 'person of the world' no borders type of individual you must see the trouble immigration is causing around the world.

You must see it only gets worse, not better.

You must see that what we are doing is never going to work.

I saw a video yesterday of African origin youths in Tallaght running amok in a huge crowd. It's worrying and it's not the Ireland I know or want. It's completely alien to the country I know.

Why are we importing this? What do we gain?

We have to.
    I'm happy to be part of the EU but being part of it means you are told what obligations that you have wrt taking in immigrants.
    I'm.not happy with the problems we are importing but I don't know the solution.

The over and back, two and fro gains and wins with the EU come at a price, sharing out the burden is part of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Nesta2018 wrote: »
    That's just silly and naive. It's perfectly obvious that some cultures will clash and have little in common. Western women are disadvantaged when they live in an area dominated by conservative Muslims. I've lived in such a place myself. You are either catcalled or glared at with disapproval and blanked in shops. It's really unpleasant. Now maybe that's their culture and they like women covering up but don't expect indigenous women to be happy when that kind of behaviour is imported into somewhere they call home. It really pisses me off when I see this kind of dismissive attitude.
    Am I so out of touch? No, it is the foreigners who are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Well I have lived in the UK a long time after coming from Dundalk and going to UCD. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years (20 years ago), and although I would admit that there are some people who appeared to hold ill feeling over the pub bombings, but I can tell you I saw a lot more violence in Dundalk on a Saturday night that I ever saw there. I would also say that Birmingham is on the whole a friendly city where people of all cultures and backgrounds get on.

Regarding the impact of immigration on the countries where people come to decent living, I would argue that it makes the UK a far more welcoming and inclusive place, particularly for people who are immigrants (like me) than it would appear Ireland is.

When will we realise that we have been exporting people to better their lot for hundreds of years, and it is simply unfair and unjust to imagine that people would not come to us when we have what they deserve as much as any of us. Sorry for the speech, but that is my bit

Have to agree with thst. Been to Birmingham a few times as for my sins a blues fan and never had a bad vibe there been to dundalk for matches at oriel Park and found dundalk very rough. A real ugly vibe in the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As I said earlier, I believe that people come to Europe in good faith, that they will get a job and settle down within society but we have to look at the cold hard realities of it. For non to low skilled jobs, they will be passed over for Europeans, South America's, South East Asians, probably in that order. They will be passed over because the person hiring will place the others ahead because of their instinctive feel that they will integrate better in the workplace.

Cultural bias will always exist. It has existed since the dawn of mankind and will exist until we are no more. No matter what they media, government or NGOs try to make out, cultural biases will never cease.

Family units have a small chance, but the single males coming to Europe from the 3rd world with no qualifications have absolutely no chance. They'll get looked over for employment, they won't marry and they'll probably end up in a life of crime.

If the natives won't take to your people, you have no chance. Society decides on this. No amount of Political/media/NGO meddling will change this. It has been 3-4 generations in France and they still haven't taken to the North Africans. It ain't happening.

The problem though with France is that it's mutual. Black French are just as likely to be racist against black Africans, or against white French. And the African migrants are racist towards everyone, along with a growth in violence/crime especially in the South. I used to spend a lot of time in Montpelier (Provence), and I wouldn't go back anymore because it's no longer a particularly safe destination anymore, with the black gangs. I have a little holiday house in the countryside, and I avoid the population centers because it's simply not safe in the evenings... While the white french would contribute to that feeling of danger, the truth is that it's the groups of black people, and the approaches by two Black guys together pushing for change, smokes, etc that are truly intimidating.

With Germany it really depends on where you are. I lived near Frankfurt for a while, and the Turkish community is cut off. By their own choice. A complete change of language, fashions, and customs once you enter their community, and white people are only tolerated at the fringes. Go any deeper, and you'll be forcibly guided out. I found most Germans to be more tolerant rather than accepting of other races, with the exception of Asians, who are accepted pretty much everywhere.

Integration is only possible when there is the intention by all parties. Many Black people have zero interest in integrating and/or getting employment. France, with it's tax system and dislike of renters, is a hard place to get set up for anything longer than a few months... that in itself isn't about racism, but economics, but it's going to make life very difficult for those who arrive with little, and lacking in education/language (not all Africans speak french well enough to work)

Hence the ports at Calais and others are full of illegals trying to get to UK. With the UK pulling shut the gates, where will they go? Expect violence and agitation to increase I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

This country is fcuked, I remember years ago meeting an English fella at a bar in Cambodia were he was living, I asked him what made him move there... "I seen the way the UK was going"

It's only now I'm starting to understand what he was on about.

I would imagine that 50 years ago most Cambodians (or Kampucheans) would have had similar views.

If "diversity" is so appalling then that Brit should be sent back from whence he came, no?
    Is he fluent now in the local language? I very much doubt it. Does he stomp around as if "Indochina" is his own little toilet? I would guess YES..

Does he take the piss out of locals and expect to be treated better? You better believe it.

Does he get hand-jobs from the maid?

Flabby Germans and Brits rock into Thailand or Vientienne and buy girls and a sex den for pennies and people on this forum yammer about how diversity is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

We have to.
    I'm happy to be part of the EU but being part of it means you are told what obligations that you have wrt taking in immigrants.
    I'm.not happy with the problems we are importing but I don't know the solution.

The over and back, two and fro gains and wins with the EU come at a price, sharing out the burden is part of it.

Way too heavy a price in my opinion, we're a small nation of just under 5 million, another decade or 2 of this and it won't be good for our country, culture and identity and whatever other problems it brings, the EU was only itching to get them migrant quotas in place, I think its pretty obvious they have an agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

France is a bomb waiting to explode.

All of Western Europe is at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I would imagine that 50 years ago most Cambodians (or Kampucheans) would have had similar views.

If "diversity" is so appalling then that Brit should be sent back from whence he came, no?
    Is he fluent now in the local language? I very much doubt it. Does he stomp around as if "Indochina" is his own little toilet? I would guess YES..

Does he take the piss out of locals and expect to be treated better? You better believe it.

Does he get hand-jobs from the maid?

Flabby Germans and Brits rock into Thailand or Vientienne and buy girls and a sex den for pennies and people on this forum yammer about how diversity is terrible.

Hell of a lot of assumptions there champ...

biko wrote: »
    Look at UK. Whatever happens there now will be here in 5/10 years.
    Look at Rotherham, Luton, Rochdale etc where 1000s of children have been abused and tortured by immigrants for many years.
    Why do people want this for our children?

For all we know grooming gangs could already be here. The UK police kept it a secret for years, what's not to say the Garda will too?

Now that we have got rid of the paedophiles priests do people want to invite more paedophiles?

The warnings are there, and to me every abused child is not of my doing but the person who invited the abusers.

They're already here.
    Have a look outside the kebab shops and chippies they set up, any given evening. Young girls hanging around outside and inside eating chips and burgers. It'd be foolish not to think the same opportunities that existed in the UK won't be exploited here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

They're already here.
    Have a look outside the kebab shops and chippies they set up, any given evening. Young girls hanging around outside and inside eating chips and burgers. It'd be foolish not to think the same opportunities that existed in the UK won't be exploited here too.

Well let's hope the Garda deal with it instead of sweeping it under the carpet like the police did in rotherham for fear of being called racists. It's doesn't help when the labour mp likes and shares a tweet, saying the girls should have shut their mouths for the sake of diversity . Is it any wonder the Tories are in power .

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-mp-shares-message-telling-rotherham-sex-abuse-victims-shut-sake-diversity-114807910.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAB0uSbXvhrA94REG-Ngfq8d8D1AlS4Yp7HG_9WaYUhey1LJVwyuNoJDE67kzHmq84zIgJ4Sty_BN6lzeP18Zw1hHUa4fjoP3NVTFRB9wxbYoRGKwt3llPLUgONd0wCnPZo3t_XTroz5rV5UVyG7GrLgKnSuAIaT_pa_6ZkGZ-zDg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

RTE chose today to cover this story about a 16 year old in France instead...
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1147662/

Mountaineering & climbing is huge in France, this girl, a French national and Olympic hopefuls death is big news.

Nobody died in your immigrant drug war story (yet)... Yeah, it makes great gains on social media, who doesn't want to see Chechnian men in bad tracksuits walk around with their arms half a metre from their bodies brandishing various weapons so we can all wring our hands about the kebab shop up the road.

I think we can all agree, whatever side you are on, rte are a shameless disgrace.

I think we can all agree, whatever side you are on, rte are a shameless disgrace.

I didn't even know there were sides Irishproduce, this is a discussion! The death of a promising French athlete at such a young age that competed at a top level is much more newsworthy than a drug gang skirmish in a small French city to be honest with you.

RTE news report the news. It's up to the current affairs teams to investigate and look in to the woes that immigrants have wreaked on small cities across Europe they can do it and include this skirmish as an example of what can happen, but it's still not very newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Ahhh, lovely multiculturalism.

Do you say anything when the Kinahan's and Hutch's are blasting each other and the odd poor sod gets clipped as a result of mistaken identity in the flats or wherever?

I don't think there are too many brown, multicultural, FOLK, involved in the multiple murders and missed hits in Dublin.

So a bunch of thugs in France are banging each other out over drugs.
    And it's a diversity problem

A bunch of the same self-styled thugs are doing the same, day in and day out in Dublin and around the country, and your complaint is the skin colour.

• Advertisement

In fairness, the Kinahan's are immigrants in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

When Pakistan sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're paedophiles. And some, I assume, are good people.
    We have some bad hombres and we're going to get them out.
    Pile of sh*te.
    Unless you have some sort of evidence to back up that statement you're best ignored. It's reads like a Trump tweet.
    I don't like people pulling the race card, but that statement is racist.

A Spanish person could easily have said when Ireland sends it's people, they're not the best and brightest either. Irish gangs, drug trade, murderers, hit men.

It's no more true than your statement.

Do you say anything when the Kinahan's and Hutch's are blasting each other and the odd poor sod gets clipped as a result of mistaken identity in the flats or wherever?

I don't think there are too many brown, multicultural, FOLK, involved in the multiple murders and missed hits in Dublin.

So a bunch of thugs in France are banging each other out over drugs.
    And it's a diversity problem

A bunch of the same self-styled thugs are doing the same, day in and day out in Dublin and around the country, and your complaint is the skin colour.

Chechens are caucasian.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

This is all the fault of France importing cheap labour from their French North African colonies after WWII to help rebuild Metropolitan France's economy and never trying to integrate or accept them into French culture. Same issues caused former French Algeria and Tunisia to fight a war for independence against Metropolitan France in the early 1960s.

Why have the Vietmanese been able to assimilate into French culture while the North Africans largely haven't? Multiculturalism isn't the reason because the France government and society does not promote multiculturalism as a cultural policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

One thing I can't get my head around is this...

Even if you are the most liberal 'person of the world' no borders type of individual you must see the trouble immigration is causing around the world.

You must see it only gets worse, not better.

You must see that what we are doing is never going to work.

I saw a video yesterday of African origin youths in Tallaght running amok in a huge crowd. It's worrying and it's not the Ireland I know or want. It's completely alien to the country I know.

Why are we importing this? What do we gain?

It's not or never was a question of what do we gain. It was always about what the establishment could gain from mass immigration. Low cost servile workers, a culture that breeds like rabbits which feeds into my first example. But mainly I feel, it is to dissolve or dilute a sense of nationalism within the populace. This will enable the establishment to bring in certain policies which normally would have people marching in protest. But with a populace mainly indifferent to it all, it'll become easy or at least less problematic than it would have been if Ireland truly belonged to the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

Why have the Vietmanese been able to assimilate into French culture while the North Africans largely haven't? Multiculturalism isn't the reason because the France government and society does not promote multiculturalism as a cultural policy.

I would hazard a guess that far eastern cultures might have a better work ethic than North Africans. My best example would be the many Chinese restaurants that sprung up in Britain and Ireland with Far Eastern immigration. I dont have any links to back up my viewpoint but I'm not far off I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Doctors, Nurses, highly trained professionals, that's what we wanted. Instead we got a tiny amount of highly trained professionals and then a huge number of unskilled migrants from socially unadaptive cultures.

The folks you see running riot along the Dart line or selling selfie sticks in Rome, they are not the sons of Doctors and Professionals.

I don't think many people here are anti-immigration. We just want better immigration. We're not here solely to better their lives, they are here to better our country and to be rewarded for it.

Better immigration is a fair notion.

We open the door, to you, welcoming you into our country, our society. We help, with accommodation, with some cash, medical treatments etc...

In return you need to be law abiding... responsible, respectful of this country, it’s people, which provides you with shelter, safety, refuge and assistance.

Sounds reasonable.

Strumms wrote: »
    Better immigration is a fair notion.

We open the door, to you, welcoming you into our country, our society. We help, with accommodation, with some cash, medical treatments etc...

In return you need to be law abiding... responsible, respectful of this country, it’s people, which provides you with shelter, safety, refuge and assistance.

Sounds reasonable.

It's usually the second generation that starts to have problems; the first generation immigrants need to be socially integrated into Irish society so their children are born, raised, and steeped in Irish culture and society, or otherwise ethnic enclaves and parallel societies might start to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

fran38 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that far eastern cultures might have a better work ethic than North Africans. My best example would be the many Chinese restaurants that sprung up in Britain and Ireland with Far Eastern immigration. I dont have any links to back up my viewpoint but I'm not far off I'd say.

Anyone that grew up in communism had to work, I worked with a Romanian and was talking to him about communism. He said he preferred it because everyone was working , if the police seen you hanging around doing nothing they'd pick you up and find something for you to do .

Advertisement