Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile in Dijon, France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People have been saying this country and that country are f*cked because of immigration since probably after WW2, well none of them are really f*cked are they? The economic powerhouses of Germany and France, which are delightful places to visit of course, apart from a few shady neighbourhoods you're not going to go near anyway. London for the most part is a melting pot of cultures, never had any trouble while living there. I mean life is too short to worry about this stuff.
    Also many European countries like France had no problem invading countries to hoover up their resources in the past.

There's the world of reality and there's an online world where people post videos of brown people doing nasty stuff and get themselves all riled up about it.

I'd say most of those lads have never been abroad much.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a previous colonist of Algeria there are quite a lot of Algerians in France, as well as from other north African countries.

The Chechen started coming as refugees 20 years ago so are fairly new.

The Chechen are heavily into clans. If you go against a clan **** happens.
    Strong clan ties also influence the Chechen diaspora’s sense of “collective responsibility,” she wrote.
    “If someone was hurt or disrespected, the same structures are entitled to seek reprisal or compensation,” Mac-Glandières explained.

Invite people that rather take things into their own hands than trusting the authorities, get wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

nj27 wrote: »
    The political scientist Robert Putnam conducted extensive research on the effects of multiculturalism on social capital in the United States, but he actually sat on his findings for quite a while as he didn't expect them to go down particularly well with his liberal/academic peers.

In his book Bowling Alone, he used the drop off in attendance at America's bowling leagues as a microcosm for society at large which had its bonding and bridging capital, the names given to the variety of mechanisms which allow for a cohesive society, broken down by the increased multiculturalism of the country. Apart from some bitchin' food from Africa and Asia, Ireland also has this to look forward to in the coming decades.

Do you mean the effects of multiculturalism on white protestant Americans or what? It has always been a mish mash of cultures over there.

We will see in 20 years from now who is right or not

What will I see exactly? And why should I care if people on my street aren't from the same background? The world is constantly changing and evolving and always has been, roll with it, you're not going to stop it.

Lovely mustard - goes well with most meats and for making a salad dressing!

8712566134144_3.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

What will I see exactly? And why should I care if people on my street aren't from the same background? The world is constantly changing and evolving and always has been, roll with it, you're not going to stop it.

yeah kinda agree just roll with it at this stage, not going to be stopped and as you said we re here for a short while only, tbh its just going to be some parts of Dublin that get real ****ty the rest of the country will be generally ok. any small town where we have a few immigrants they thrive and succeed, the problem is when you lump loads of immigrants of similar backgrounds together they have no need to integrate and then start causing trouble with the natives. its just piss poor planning all over Europe and parts of Dublin are going or gone the same way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No word of a lie, I was in Dijon on holiday last year and will be there again as soon as I can figure out when it’s safe to travel. It’s a beautiful city. I’d recommend anyone who has a chance to visit it.

I find it strange to blame immigrants on the problems in France. Technically Algerians aren’t immigrants in France. Algeria used to be part of France. Not a colony, actually part of France.

France looted Africa more than anyone else except the British. Then they welcomed in immigrants to help rebuild France after the war, just like the British. Then when he immigrants weren’t needed to fill the labour pool, a lot of French people turned on them. They were never really given a chance to integrate.

It seems a bit rich plundering people’s homelands, taking them in as cheap labour, not allowing them to integrate and then blaming them when things go wrong. It’s the same in Britain. Ireland is very different as we don’t have a colonial past.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    yeah kinda agree just roll with it at this stage, not going to be stopped and as you said we re here for a short while only, tbh its just going to be some parts of Dublin that get real ****ty the rest of the country will be generally ok. any small town where we have a few immigrants they thrive and succeed, the problem is when you lump loads of immigrants of similar backgrounds together they have no need to integrate and then start causing trouble with the natives. its just piss poor planning all over Europe and parts of Dublin are going or gone the same way.

Well all I have heard about are a few black kids causing some trouble. Given we have a high percentage of foreign people living in Dublin at the moment, and around Ireland, things appear to be going quite well. There are 2 black families in my cul de sac and it's very quiet around here.
    It's just totally blown out of proportion because people are afraid of change and foreigners. Don't sweat the small stuff, you'll be dead soon.

Your grandchildren might disagree with you though.
    I am sure you are well travelled and have seen most cultures,right,so you know what you are talking about.
    Roll with it,yeah you almost sound like todays politicians,they have the same attitude.
    Doesnt matter if they remove some statues and remove our history,just roll with it,mate,pretend it didnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Well all I have heard about are a few black kids causing some trouble. Given we have a high percentage of foreign people living in Dublin at the moment, and around Ireland, things appear to be going quite well. There are 2 black families in my cul de sac and it's very quiet around here.
    It's just totally blown out of proportion because people are afraid of change and foreigners. Don't sweat the small stuff, you'll be dead soon.

yeah prob is blown up a bit too no doubt

• Advertisement

Your grandchildren might disagree with you though.
    I am sure you are well travelled and have seen most cultures,right,so you know what you are talking about.
    Roll with it,yeah you almost sound like todays politicians,they have the same attitude.
    Doesnt matter if they remove some statues and remove our history,just roll with it,mate,pretend it didnt happen.

What will my Grandchildren disagree with me with??? What statues have been removed here in Ireland?

What will my Grandchildren disagree with me with??? What statues have been removed here in Ireland?

We dont know yet,i cant tell the future.
    But what we will see ,is the result of it.

Look at UK. Whatever happens there now will be here in 5/10 years.
    Look at Rotherham, Luton, Rochdale etc where 1000s of children have been abused and tortured by immigrants for many years.
    Why do people want this for our children?

For all we know grooming gangs could already be here. The UK police kept it a secret for years, what's not to say the Garda will too?

Now that we have got rid of the paedophiles priests do people want to invite more paedophiles?

The warnings are there, and to me every abused child is not of my doing but the person who invited the abusers.

So, back on topic.
    This feud will probably blow over in a week or so, but it shows how even people that have lived inside Western culture for years still have their own laws and ways.
    And when those ways touch the host society it can get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We're about 1 generation (or maybe 1.5 generations) behind the other Euopean countries that have had loads of immigration (like UK/France).
    So most of us here will be OAPs or more likely rotting in the ground before we are as far along in this social experiment as UK/France are now.
    IMO there won't be any big problems here (if they ever do emerge) for quite a while yet, so too early to conclude anything.

The UK seems to me to be in serious trouble (might not see out the decade) and immigration (or if people prefer, they can couch it as the "bigot's" reaction to immigration) has been a factor in that. France I don't know as much about/don't follow news about as much.

biko wrote: »
    So, back on topic.
    This feud will probably blow over in a week or so, but it shows how even people that have lived inside Western culture for years still have their own laws and ways.
    And when those ways touch the host society it can get ugly.

The most scary part is that it doesnt take much to trigger it these days.
    Before you know it its a civil war.
    Its a ticking bomb waiting to explode.

Look at Rotherham, Luton, Rochdale etc where 1000s of children have been abused and tortured by immigrants for many years.

For all we know grooming gangs could already be here. The UK police kept it a secret for years, what's not to say the Garda will too?

Now that we have got rid of the paedophiles priests do people want to invite more paedophiles?

The warnings are there, and to me every abused child is not of my doing but the person who invited the abusers.

When Pakistan sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're paedophiles. And some, I assume, are good people.
    We have some bad hombres and we're going to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

m users on the thread.

How the hell did it come to this? A mod entrusted to moderate multiple forums literally saying muslim immigration will lead to paedophiles. Years ago that sort of comment would get you a ban on boards.ie

Really? Boards.ie that was full of "the Catholic Church are pedos" sentiment for years. Are we only allowed to point out the crimes of groups that you people oppose? Same with you moaning about racial topics, I'm sure you have no problems with BLM threads or any other racial thread that can be viewed as "progressive". You people think you have some god given right to decide what can and cannot be discussed.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

Brian? wrote: »
    [...]colonial past.
    Colonial past it's irrelevant, they are living in France, not in some ex colony of France. Colonial past is not the reason of the fight depicted here, drug trade is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

The liberal PC brigade don't much like honesty of this sort... clashes with the carefully constructed agenda they're peddling!

Poster writes the term: "liberal PC brigade" while accusing others of peddling a carefully constructed agenda.

I never understood that term anyway, most young left leaning people tend to use smart devices such as smartphones or tablets for posting online, I would tend to think the (generally) older right leaning folk would be more inclined to use PCs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Must have missed those buddy.

You sure the world of reality and the world of your online, alt-right trigger videos are on nodding terms with each other?

Don't call me buddy, pal.

Now slink off to your safe space and reeee some more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The grooming gangs were awful. They weren't kept secret though, they were arrested and sent to prison. It took too long, I'll give you that.

"Why do we want this for our children" you ask. That's a Straw man. Muslim immigrants don't automatically come with gangs of paedophiles. For instance Belgium is packed with Muslims, there was a huge paedophile scandal in the 90s with zero Muslim involvement AFAIK.

Serious question were the gangs mainly immigrants or were they mainly from an immigrant background?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I saw a video yesterday of African origin youths in Tallaght running amok in a huge crowd. It's worrying and it's not the Ireland I know or want. It's completely alien to the country I know.

Why are we importing this? What do we gain?

Found it on Herman Kelly’s Twitter there! These things are all too revealing, if nothing else sure where else would you get it call me old fashioned at what appears a large tribe of young zulus emerging over a serengeti plain :eek: the same rolling green hills I grew up on?!

I suppose most people don’t want to know; rather remain oblivious but I like to keep I like to keep in the loop....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Serious question were the gangs mainly immigrants or were they mainly from an immigrant background?

The UK has a serious issue with 2nd and 3rd generation immigrant children which is perhaps the most worrying aspect of all of this.

They have not integrated and have no intention of integrating. I'm not sure the prevalence among Afican origin of this problem but it's a huge issue with the sub-continent immigrants.

Ask anyone from the northern cities in England in particular and they'll tell you right away the problems that are mounting and they are scared. They are scared for their cities, their towns and what the future holds.

People react to that then and you get things like Brexit and further down the line who knows what.

The grooming gangs were awful. They weren't kept secret though, they were arrested and sent to prison. It took too long, I'll give you that.

"Why do we want this for our children" you ask. That's a Straw man. Muslim immigrants don't automatically come with gangs of paedophiles. For instance Belgium is packed with Muslims, there was a huge paedophile scandal in the 90s with zero Muslim involvement AFAIK.

It wasnt kept secret but it was neglected,and that is even worse,

Dozens of children suspected of being groomed and abused by gangs of Asian men operating in “plain sight” were failed by police and local authorities, a report has concluded.
    Some victims subject to “profound abuse” told carers and police officers about the sexual assaults, giving names and addresses, but no action was taken, according the report into child sexual exploitation in Manchester.
    The 145-page report concluded: “The authorities knew that many were being subjected to the most profound abuse and exploitation but did not protect them from the perpetrators.

That tells me something is seriously wrong with the system and perhaps fear of being labeled as a reason.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/child-victims-of-grooming-gangs-failed-by-manchester-police-report-finds-1.4139404

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah, all those nasty brown people - most of them are likely paedos.

We don't need that sort of thing in Ireland.

Meanwhile...........

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0615/1147525-75-year-old-man-jailed-for-20-years-for-repeated-rape-a/

The new poster also mentioned Muslims. I am not so sure it's a religious thing.
    The immigrants in the gangs seems to have several things in common, but not excluded to; middle-aged, Pakistani, men, access to alcohol and drugs for the girls.

In Rotherham the rapes happened since the 1990s and mainly by Pakistani, Kurdish and Kosovar men.
    Although most of these nationalities are Muslim I don't think that is the reason the abused young girls.

I'm sure some or even most were British citizens and maybe also born in England.
    Possibly were white Brits were also involved but it looks to have been mainly middle-aged Pakstani men and girls under 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The place has gone to hell. It's now a complete ****hole infested with racists. The site was dying on it's arse pre-covid so I can only assume that the powers that be have decided to tolerate the alt-right invasion in order to keep the lights on. In fairness the fascists do post a lot. Unfortunately it's usually about how terrible foreigners are.

I wouldn’t say Ireland’s a ****hole just yet but if said infestation continues apace we’ll be gettin there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah, all those nasty brown people - most of them are likely paedos.

We don't need that sort of thing in Ireland.

Meanwhile...........

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0615/1147525-75-year-old-man-jailed-for-20-years-for-repeated-rape-a/

We have a sordid history of child abuse in this country, so some of us don't want to import people (loose description for the type that think women and children are something to own) who think that women and girls are second class citizens, nay chattel, to be used and abused.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
Advertisement