Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

dave grant wrote: »
    Yes you will be able to make a cup of tea or coffee on site.
    Seems that you've thought of everything!! Brilliant venue with free parking and so much easier for me to get to from outside Dublin than the usual places tournaments are held.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

dave grant wrote: »
    Yes you will be able to make a cup of tea or coffee on site.

Excellent idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

I would like to post a note of thanks and appreciation to John McMorrow and all who are organising the Irish Championship and specifically in relation to them for now putting on the Major (1300-1900 rating band.) It really means a lot to be able to play over the board chess having lived like everyone else with the Covid19 worries and restrictions this year. Having read through and seen the photos of the walk through arrangements they have really organised this magnificently and I feel totally safe in these arrangements. Hopefully the coaching and study I've been doing during the lockdown might bear some fruit, although I can identify with sodacat11 saying results can suffer for a bit after same study. Anyways, good luck to all of ye in the Championship proper.

When will the draw for the first round be posted? All the contestants in the tipping competition are champing at the bit to get going.
    Also, what is the penalty for anyone who takes off, or doesn't wear, their mask at the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

sodacat11 wrote: »
    When will the draw for the first round be posted? All the contestants in the tipping competition are champing at the bit to get going.
    Also, what is the penalty for anyone who takes off, or doesn't wear, their mask at the board?

Hopefully tonight. Just waiting to hear back from one player.

Will put the penalty on the site this evening too if I've time.

• Advertisement

I presume that every effort will be made to have an even number of competitors? It would not be right if nine players had to take byes just to facilitate the entry of an under 1900 player

I presume that every effort will be made to have an even number of competitors? It would not be right if nine players had to take byes just to facilitate the entry of an under 1900 player

It'll be even from the off, with a couple of volunteers to ensure it stays that way for the most part in the case of pullouts too. Can't promise it in every round for definite, but we should have cover.

It'll be even from the off, with a couple of volunteers to ensure it stays that way for the most part in the case of pullouts too. Can't promise it in every round for definite, but we should have cover.

Excellent!! You have thought of everything.......................Now, about my appearance fee?

Pairings should be done today - updated entry list on the site now with 2 pullouts. Had a replacement for one but not two (obviously) so we settle at a nice number (hopefully), 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

So it looks like 4 players - J Delaney, E Keogh, (both ex champs) A Fox, J McMorrow have withdrawn . All ranging from more or less 2100+ to 2200/2330 playing strength. With 4 very young players more or less ranging from about 1800 to 2000 playing strength.

Pity they all are not playing now.

The first round paring now looking like:

• Advertisement

Or the first round pairing looking like:

Now I am wondering when will the full details of all prizes be published and who are the named, arbiter/s for the event?

Until you mentioned that you had come last in the tournament last year I had not known this and in fact did not notice where you finished or that you were even in the tournament. Which in fairness is explained a bit by the fact that you did not play your last two round games so you simply were not around for the last two days.

So you have to forgive me when I suggest that just maybe you have perhaps the wrong priorities that have nothing to do with actual chess and the playing of it.

Perhaps we need to designate some enforcers and "watchers" among the Mask Choice Deniers camp to make sure we see swift action taken for any infraction of any of the new rules and measures in place during play?

Along with yourself, G Mac, Anchor guy and cdep guy there could be a special group/committee to observe and overseas the punishment of any transgressions?

After all,some will contend that lives are at stake and that is so much more important than chess and or the enjoyment of it. Perhaps we also need to clarify what happens if two players are seen without their masks at the same time during a game. Should they both lose their games, just as if both of their phones went off at the same time.

Then who gets or loses the rating points? Goodness me, we have real issues and priorities to sort out it seems? What about the right temperature readings and an independent panel of experts to record everything, and if someone is suspected of being a covid carrier, or someone coughs or sneezes, or someone looks at someone in a funny way. Will there be the manpower sorry- people power -to keep an eye on everybody and everything.

Jasus, it could be scary really, but I feel you will be well on top of it all and have all the solutions ready to go. Hopefully you will get to play all 9 rounds this year and I will bet that you will not finish last this year.

Bound to be someone who lets their mask slip over the 9 days?

Joedryan wrote: »
    That looks absolutely fantastic.

Whats the refreshment situation? is there a coffee machine nearby?

Agree it looks great and it is certainly of interest what the situation is regarding refreshments but I would also wonder when are the full list of all prizes going to be published, along with information about who is/are the arbiter/s?

You are right, I am guilty as charged. I have no interest in playing chess and the only reason that I entered the tournament was because I was bribed by a big multinational company that manufactures surgical masks, they asked me to try and force everyone to wear a mask and to form a clandestine group with G Mac, Anchor and Cded. I am sorry for my transgression and will withdraw from the tournament and all future Irish chess events if that will make up for my crime.

You are right, I am guilty as charged. I have no interest in playing chess and the only reason that I entered the tournament was because I was bribed by a big multinational company that manufactures surgical masks, they asked me to try and force everyone to wear a mask and to form a clandestine group with G Mac, Anchor and Cded. I am sorry for my transgression and will withdraw from the tournament and all future Irish chess events if that will make up for my crime.

Oh no. you are perfectly entitled, along with your other fellow Mask Choice Deniers. to form and adopt any outlook you like. All of us can only but try to find our path to chess nirvana and perhaps ask ourselves now and then why you love chess and how best to sustain the passion and interest in it.

The Irish ch is certainly up there on any list of worthwhile chess efforts. if you can enjoy it and or get something positive from playing then by all means it is imperative to play regardless of almost anything.

Very sorry to see the withdrawals of John Delaney Eamon Keogh, Anthony Fox and the tournament organizer John Mc Morrow, that is genuinely sad as they have so much to offer and have a real passion for chess too.

Have to give credit to the ICU and Irish ch organizer in a good job done in respect of the prizes for the Irish ch.

Hard to even be ever sure of finding exact right balance with what amount is optimal. It is a generous prize fund that reflects very well on the ICU and tournament. It adds value and prestige to the event in my view. Mind you, anybody winning any prize will have surely deserved it. So tough is the 9 days going to be.

The difference between first and second seem a little on the heavy side? Like maybe second could have been 900 or 1000? clip 6th prize and ideally it would be nice if the grading prize was 500? Honestly not sure and have zero complaints here. In 2013 the first prize was 1600 and at the time I sort of thought (and said so when asked by the tournament sponsor after the event) that it was a little off in relation to second place, (1500 back then was probably more optimal).

In any event I am very happy with what they have done this year actually. Just the main thing I guess is that the grading prize being 500 would have been nice.

Again, I am not sure if it could or should have been different anywhere. Just crossed my mind that a big grading prize might fit it very nicely?

The other update/clarification is that we now also know the tournament arbiter, who is the same as the last few years. No doubt with a team of important and enthusiastic helpers too.

It says in the regulations that players who owe entry or ICU membership fees may have these deducted from their prize money. It is almost August, if these people haven't paid these fees yet why are they even being allowed into the tournament in the first place?

It says in the regulations that players who owe entry or ICU membership fees may have these deducted from their prize money. It is almost August, if these people haven't paid these fees yet why are they even being allowed into the tournament in the first place?

What the heck is that post about? Don't follow you with this at all. Confused I am. I assume the ICU know what they are doing in regards to all such things so what exactly is the point you are making?

Meanwhile: I think I made a mistake posting in another thread so just in case cdep thinks I done it on purpose, I can confirm it was a mistake so I post now the interesting contrast images from a much bigger (numbers) event in Europe to at least consider.

spidersweb wrote: »
    What the heck is that post about? Don't follow you with this at all. Confused I am. I assume the ICU know what they are doing in regards to all such things so what exactly is the point you are making?
    The point I am making is that entrants in the Irish Ch are supposed to me members with the ICU, if they haven't paid their subs then clearly they aren't current members. Similarly, why should some of us pay entry fees if other non titled players are getting in without paying theirs?

The point I am making is that entrants in the Irish Ch are supposed to me members with the ICU, if they haven't paid their subs then clearly they aren't current members.
    I see your point a bit better now and could follow you if the event was happening in September, but as it is in August I can't think of anybody this is relevant to. I mean all 32 players are surely all members of the ICU
    Similarly, why should some of us pay entry fees if other non titled players are getting in without paying theirs?

This is just confusing too, I mean it says that "GMs,IMs & FMs:Free" on the flyer, and has done for many months.

https://www.icu.ie/system/events/flyers/000/001/239/original/Irish_Championships_2020.pdf?1594466211

There are 2 IMs and 6 FMs who have free entry (IMs may even get a small payment to play- I don't honestly know or care one way or another really. Don't begrudge them that at all)

I know that last year, some of the prize winners had part of their prize money deducted for previous ICU organized IM norm events in which the entry fee was waived at the time of the events with the condition that the ICU would deduct those fees out of ICU run events prize winnings, like the Irish ch and for example rapid and blitz events put on throughout the year.

So I don't see there being any issue whatsoever and the ICU are to be applauded for having been so clever and positive in organizing international events.

• Advertisement

"Outstanding member fees and entry fees may be taken from cash prizes won. Similarly, those receiving a free "invite" to the event (such as titled players) may have this entry fee taken out of any cash prizes won"
    This is what I was referring to. Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought that it implied that there are outstanding member fees and entry fees.
    I am surprised though that titled players would have entry fees deducted from winnings, I think that they deserve to be rewarded properly for their participation.
    I have no problem at all with titled players getting free entry or conditions to any tournament.

"Outstanding member fees and entry fees may be taken from cash prizes won. Similarly, those receiving a free "invite" to the event (such as titled players) may have this entry fee taken out of any cash prizes won"
    This is what I was referring to. Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought that it implied that there are outstanding member fees and entry fees.
    I am surprised though that titled players would have entry fees deducted from winnings, I think that they deserve to be rewarded properly for their participation.
    I have no problem at all with titled players getting free entry or conditions to any tournament.

I seen that as point 6 but it actually does not make sense in the context of the actual flyer for the event. I don't think any entry fee will be deducted from any prize of the 8 players i mentioned because

"Outstanding member fees and entry fees may be taken "

is vague and ambiguous.

I think it refers to scenarios I mentioned about entry fees for norms events and not the actual entry fee to an Irish ch which very clearly does not say what any entry fee might be for any of the titled players.

It says very clearly that players over 2200 pay 50 and IMs and GMs, FMs are free,

What if a titled player wanted to pay an entry fee upfront? What is it?:How could he/she have paid? It says free entry for IM,GM,FM

In any case I don't think it is going to be an issue for anybody one way or another. Winning a prize will surely be an indicator of a good tournament performance and it seems doubtful anybody will be thinking about or bothered about 50 Euros entry fee being deducted. Not a big deal essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I presume the tournament is going ahead?

Good luck to all!

Joedryan wrote: »
    I presume the tournament is going ahead?

Good luck to all!
    Don't forget to enter the tipping competition. Pick three games each round. Two points for each that is drawn and five pts for every one where the lower rated player wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave grant

The Ballyroan Chess Club proud host of the 99th National Senior Chess Championship would like to wish all of this year's competitors the very best of luck and we hope you feel safe and welcomed in our playing venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Thanks to Ballyroan CC and Colaiste Eanna for hosting the championship. I hope it goes well, and the Major also later in August.

Will all or some of the championship games be live on chess24 or elsewhere? I am sure those of us who are not playing will be keen to follow the event.
    And if so how is it to be managed with the double-board games?

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Thanks to Ballyroan CC and Colaiste Eanna for hosting the championship. I hope it goes well, and the Major also later in August.

Will all or some of the championship games be live on chess24 or elsewhere? I am sure those of us who are not playing will be keen to follow the event.
    And if so how is it to be managed with the double-board games?

Games to be shown on chess24 (just need them to confirm but I've given them the usual 3 day notice). White side of double games will be broadcast - I have the black side set up to broadcast too but this will be so that the arbiter can check that the games line up every so often.

It doesn't look like we'll have commentary but I'm working on it. Just a few other things on my mind before that becomes the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Don't forget to enter the tipping competition. Pick three games each round. Two points for each that is drawn and five pts for every one where the lower rated player wins.
    Where is the tipping competition to be found ?

Where is the tipping competition to be found ?

See the thread below this one.
    I have to laugh at the Avengers photo on the ICU site, Jonathan O'Connor looks like he is sitting on someone's spear judging by his expression and whoever that shemale is back left should take legal action.

• Advertisement

Advertisement