Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Round 4 draw below, in score order, though there are only a few people seated out of the normal order. "Top" board is again board 9 and likely to remain so if Sam retains the lead. The way the scoring has gone means there are only two "floated" pairings.

Unless Nepo' can hit back against Magnus, tomorrow will be the last day the Legends of Chess compete for attention with the Irish Championship.

In score order:
    Sam Collins (3) v Colm Daly (2.5)
    Tom O'Gorman (2.5) v Tarun K (2.5)

Trisha K (2.5) v Conor O'Donnell (2);

Darragh Moran v David Fitzsimons; Shane Melaugh v Paul Wallace; Killian Delaney v Jonathan O'Connor (all 2pts);

Stephen Brady (1.5) v Peter Carroll (1.5); David Murray v Brendan Lyons; Adam Collins v Jacob Flynn; Kavin Venkatesan v Carl Jackson (also all on 50%);

Gerry O'Connell (1) v Eoghan Casey (1); Gavin Melaugh v Leon Putar; Alex Byrne v Jonathan Peoples; Peter Cafolla v Gerry MacElligott (also all on 1/3);

Kevin McHugh v Lara Putar (both on half a point);

Diana Mirza v Alice O'Gorman (both 0/3).

Good luck to everyone and hoping for some lively games again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Commentary on the Irish starts today at 6.30pm with FM Henry Li joined by former Irish Champion, FM Stephen Jessel on Henry's twitch account: https://www.twitch.tv/theyellowdragoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

cdeb wrote: »
    Any feedback from anyone playing on how the playing conditions are?
    I had my first game on the two board set up today and I must say that I found it very weird. It is hard to see the clock and also hard to see which sides long arm is pressed down so if you are away from the board it is hard to see whose move it is. I also didnt enjoy having to verbalise the moves and I was constantly checking to make sure that I hadnt forgotten to make my opponents move on my board. I think that the people who are playing on the two boards and are used to them certainly have a competitive advantage.The one board set up is brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I had my first game on the two board set up today and I must say that I found it very weird. It is hard to see the clock and also hard to see which sides long arm is pressed down so if you are away from the board it is hard to see whose move it is. I also didnt enjoy having to verbalise the moves and I was constantly checking to make sure that I hadnt forgotten to make my opponents move on my board. I think that the people who are playing on the two boards and are used to them certainly have a competitive advantage.The one board set up is brilliant!!

seemed to work out ok for you results wise, nice win!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FutureCM

I found the very same in my 2 board debut yesterday

• Advertisement

Magnus wiped out Nepomniachtchi today so now there is nothing to distract us from the Irish Championship as it reaches the half-way stage.
    Here are tomorrow's pairings in order of scores:

Tarun K (3) v Sam Collins (3.5)
    Conor O'Donnell (3) v Tom O'Gorman (3); David Fitzsimons (3) v Colm Daly 93)
    Shane Melaugh (2.5) v Killian Delaney (2.5); David Murray v Trisha K; Paul Wallace v Kavin Venkatesan; Jonathan O'Connor v Stephen Brady (also all 2.5)
    Jacob Flynn (2) v Peter Cafolla (2); Darragh Moran v Gavin Melaugh; Jonathan Peoples v Adam Collins (also all 2pts)
    Brendan Lyons (1.5) v Gerry O'Connell (1.5); Carl Jackson v Eoghan Casey; Peter Carroll v Lara Putar (also all 1.5)
    Leon Putar (1) v Alex Byrne (1); Alice O'Gorman (0.5) v Gerry MacElligott (1); Diana Mirza (0.5) v Kevin McHugh (0.5)

All 64 games so far played are available to download from
    https://chess-results.com/PartieSuche.aspx?lan=1&id=50023&tnr=531394&art=3

Fiona Steil Antoni commentating on the Irish today, right now here: https://www.twitch.tv/fionchetta

Quite a good day for the ladies: although Trisha lost the others won, making it 3/4.

Because the leaders have already played there are several downfloats – notably on boards 1 and 9.
    Also Gerry MacElligott is not paired – perhaps withdrawn or unwell?
    Alex Goss kindly plays on the bottom board as a filler to avoid a bye.

Pairings in score order are:

Sam Collins (4.5) v Tom O'Gorman (3.5)
    Colm Daly (4) v David Murray (3.5)
    Killian Delaney (3.5) v Conor O'Donnell (3.5)

Stephen Brady (3.5) v David Fitzsimons (3)
    Kavin Venkatesan (3) v Tarun K (3); Jonathon Peoples v Paul Wallace; Gavin Melaugh v Jacob Flynn (also all on 3)

Trisha K (2.5) v Jonathan O'Connor (2.5); Lara Putar (2.5) v Shane Melaugh (2.5)
    Peter Cafolla (2) v Brendan Lyons (2.5)

Adam Collins (2) v Darragh Moran (2); Eoghan Casey v Leon Putar (2)
    Alice O'Gorman (1.5) v Carl Jackson (2)
    Gerry O'Connell (1.5) v Peter Carroll (1.5)
    Alex Byrne (1) v Diana Mirza (1.5);
    Kevin McHugh (0.5) v Alex Goss.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Also Gerry MacElligott is not paired – perhaps withdrawn or unwell?
    Alex Goss kindly plays on the bottom board as a filler to avoid a bye.

Reason: Family funeral

Gerry back on Friday. He gave advanced notice.

• Advertisement

Reason: Family funeral

My commiserations. It was somewhat evident your mind was not on the game today. Good luck in the remaining rounds.

Very nice game today by Killian Delaney, I am guessing this is crashing through now after 27.Rxf6!

If not I'll eat my words but the game was played very nicely.

Edit - there was a lot more roller coaster stuff after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

My commiserations. It was somewhat evident your mind was not on the game today. Good luck in the remaining rounds.

I was beaten fair and square R6
    No valid excuse :-(

What a colossal day of chess today. A few comments while I wait for tomorrow's draw to be posted.
    First to finish was Gerry O'Connell whose unsound attack was crowned with success when Peter Carroll made an horrendous blunder.

The highlight was the epic game between Killian and Conor today where all three results were possible more than once. It seems that Killian's determination and Conor's clock were the decisive factors.

Now the question is no longer who can stop Sam but who can stop Colm? Tom O'Gorman, Killian and Sam are half a point behind him and, with three rounds to go, probably the new champion will be one of those four. There are three players on 4/6 who could still take the title but they would need to win their last three games like Conor Murphy (if I recall aright) did last year.
    Conor must be out of it now.

Tom seems to have played most of his game very well until he faffed about in the bishop endgame (possibly very short of time?). Instead of 57...Ke4 (or other moves too) Tom played Bf3 putting his B on a square his king needed. Then 58 Bf1 would have been a tablebase draw, though probably very hard to see, coming down to a drawn QvQ+B ending in the main line. Once Sam missed that it was soon over.
    Some other games went against rating too.

The September FIDE and ICU rating lists are going to see some big changes. After a few months where nobody played rated games, there could suddenly be major alterations in the pecking order.

Early days, anything could happen yet

It would be funny if Spidersweb ends up winning the tournament after saying
    "This is certainly not an Irish Championships, except in name only, let alone a serious chess tournament. More like an endurance and sadomasochistic torture test".
    I think we can take it from that that should he go on to finish first that he will be Irish Champion "in name only".

It would be funny if Spidersweb ends up winning the tournament after saying
    "This is certainly not an Irish Championships, except in name only, let alone a serious chess tournament. More like an endurance and sadomasochistic torture test".
    I think we can take it from that that should he go on to finish first that he will be Irish Champion "in name only".

Very funny! But surely we are not supposed to guess (out loud) the identities of the anonymous posters?...

The draw took a while to check, it seems. Sam had already played Colm and Tom, while Colm had to play one of those in the 4.5 point score group so there are several floats. This does give a chance to those on 4 and 3.5 to influence the outcome, especially if Daly does not win in round 7.

Incidentally the young ladies made a plus score again today, which is good to see.

Pairings for round 7 in score order.

Daly (5) v Delaney (4.5)

Tom O'Gorman (4.5) v Brady (4); Flynn (4) v Sam Collins (4.5)

Tarun K (4) v O'Donnell (3.5)

Fitzsimons (3.5) v Peoples (3.5); Wallace (3.5) v Murray (3.5);

S. Melaugh (3.5) v Trisha K (3)

Lyons (3) v G. Melaugh (3); Leon Putar v Venkatesan (3); O'Connor (3) v Adam Collins (3)

Mirza (2.5) v O'Connell (2/5); Cafolla (2.5) v Alice O'Gorman (2/5)

Jackson (2) v Lara Putar (2/5)

Moran (2) v Casey (2);
    MacElligott (1.5) v Carroll (1.5)
    McHugh (1) v Byrne (1)

Commentary on the Irish starts today at 6.30pm with FM Henry Li joined by former Irish Champion, FM Stephen Jessel on Henry's twitch account: https://www.twitch.tv/theyellowdragoon

Henry is live now with several games at critical points and some potentially huge results incoming - including board 1 which could change the entire tournament dynamic: https://www.twitch.tv/theyellowdragoon

Do any of the competitors reside in Counties Kildare, Laois or Offaly?

If so, because of the regional lockdown announced an hour ago, they will have to withdraw and not play the last two rounds (unless they are staying in Dublin until the event is over).

Ivan had better check before making the draw for tomorrow...

EDIT: Has there just been a one-point swing on top board?

• Advertisement

EDIT: Has there just been a one-point swing on top board?

certainly looks like it

Lockdown here in Kildare so I will miss the final two rounds. There are roadblocks set up and I didn't want to say I'd play only to be turned back at some checkpoint. It was great to be back playing chess again in such an enjoyable tournament. Colaiste Eanna is a fantastic venue so thanks to Dave Grant and all his volunteer helpers. While I was ultimately disappointed with my result after a decent start I will take some positives from my play and spend the lockdown time between now and the City of Dublin doing some badly needed work on my openings.

Too bad four players have had to drop out. SO only 14 games today, four of them absolutely critical.

In score order:

Brady (4.5) v Daly (6)
    Tom O'Gorman (5) v Wallace (4.5)
    Sam Collins (4.5) V Fitzsimons (4)
    O'Donnell (4.5) v Venkatesan (4)
    Gavin Melaugh v Tarun K (both 4)
    Trisha K v Flynn (both 4)
    Alice O'Gorman (3.5) v Shane Melaugh (3.5)

Murray (3.5) v Lara Putar (3.5)
    O'Connell v Peoples (both 3.5)
    Casey (3) v Adam Collins (3.5)
    Leon Putar (3) v Lyons (3)
    Carroll (2.5) v Diana Mirza (2.5)
    Moran (2) v McHugh (1.5)
    MacElligott (1.5) v Byrne (1.5)

I think now with all the withdrawals for the final two rounds it just adds to what Spidersweb said about it not being a true Irish Championship.

Quote "In other words, we want our best players to be trying to show and produce their best. This simply cannot happen under the conditions currently being suggested, just a couple of amendments would overcome that.

Having a less than ideal Irish ch and playing conditions from what we would all like and is more usual, with most of these guideline changes,is manageable and would still retain the prestige and authenticity of a proper championship. As is, it is hard to understand any self respecting player being willing to endure this ordeal".Unquote

In light of his comments and the ensuing Covid disruption it is only right and proper that we continue to acclaim Conor Murphy (who couldn't defend his title) as the true champion and whoever wins it this year as just someone who benefited from the absence of all the self respecting players and the attendance of some (who as Spidersweb points out) simply couldn't produce their best under the trying conditions.

I think Conor Murphy won last year?

I think now with all the withdrawals for the final two rounds it just adds to what Spidersweb said about it not being a true Irish Championship.

Quote "In other words, we want our best players to be trying to show and produce their best. This simply cannot happen under the conditions currently being suggested, just a couple of amendments would overcome that.

Having a less than ideal Irish ch and playing conditions from what we would all like and is more usual, with most of these guideline changes,is manageable and would still retain the prestige and authenticity of a proper championship. As is, it is hard to understand any self respecting player being willing to endure this ordeal".Unquote

In light of his comments and the ensuing Covid disruption it is only right and proper that we continue to acclaim Conor Murphy (who couldn't defend his title) as the true champion and whoever wins it this year as just someone who benefited from the absence of all the self respecting players and the attendance of some (who as Spidersweb points out) simply couldn't produce their best under the trying conditions.

Yes, Conor Murphy is the real champion and moreover I don't think the winner of this year's event should have an automatic place in an olympiad team.

Maybe a motion to that effect should be submitted for the just-announced ICU agm to prevent future arguments on this point?

The 2021 team is already selected but there could be a withdrawal. And, if not, the 2022/2023 olympiad is a long way from now and form could radically change.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

Surely the question would be "Who is the real over-50s champion?" if a player aged over 50 wins the Irish Championship?

Too bad four players have had to drop out. SO only 14 games today, four of them absolutely critical.

In score order:

Brady (4.5) v Daly (6)
    Tom O'Gorman (5) v Wallace (4.5)
    Sam Collins (4.5) V Fitzsimons (4)
    O'Donnell (4.5) v Venkatesan (4)
    Gavin Melaugh v Tarun K (both 4)
    Trisha K v Flynn (both 4)
    Alice O'Gorman (3.5) v Shane Melaugh (3.5)

Murray (3.5) v Lara Putar (3.5)
    O'Connell v Peoples (both 3.5)
    Casey (3) v Adam Collins (3.5)
    Leon Putar (3) v Lyons (3)
    Carroll (2.5) v Diana Mirza (2.5)
    Moran (2) v McHugh (1.5)
    MacElligott (1.5) v Byrne (1.5)

On chess results it says Sam is on 5.5

What is he on?

Joedryan wrote: »

What is he on?

• Advertisement

Joedryan wrote: »

What is he on?

Yes Sam is on 5.5, it was just a typo, writing in haste.

Looking forward, the last round will probably see Daly playing O'Donnell and Sam playing Stephen (if Stephen doesn't lose today), given that Killian is no longer in the event and who has already met.

Should Stephen lose, Sam could meet one of the 4-pt group if they win today to overtake Stephen. But Sam has already played Tarun and Flynn. Venkat, Gavin and Trisha would be available if they were to win but the first of those has a very tough game today and probably won't win.

Then Tom O'Gorman needs an opponent for the last round and Fitzsimons is the most likely.
    However if Paul Wallace beats Tom today then some of these predictions will change.

Advertisement