Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet friendly weed killer - question

Options
  • 16-06-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All, not sure if there's been anything on this before but we've a number of weeds in our driveway, around outside our house and in the garden, not too mention the moss thats growing up the centre of the road to our house (living down a country lane). I would love to spray these and kill them off but am wary of our dogs walking on the weed killer as I've heard some stories about them burning paws and the like.

Would anyone have any experience and suggestions for some pet friendly weed killer, one thats also not carcinogenic too would be great?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

You can get special blow torches for weeding to burn them. No chemicals necessary!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They are on sale in Lidl roundabout now (or was it last week? Anyway, they might still have some, it's worth checking with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

The weed killing flame guns are effective but are not designed to burn the weeds. If you read the instructions they advise only holding the flame on the weeds for a fairly short time which cooks them and kills them. If you try burning them you will waste a lot of gas and possibly start a fire in the garden as I found my Da had done when I was visiting their house not that long ago. Some buckets of water were required to stop the new fence they had catching fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Thanks for the replies. The Boiling water/cooking methods will probably work for things around the house/driveway, but one of the main things is about 100-150m X 1m strip in the centre of the road leading to my house, I don't think I'll be able to burn or boil this. It's mostly moss but with the gravel on the road I can't scrape it. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If it's moss I'd leave it. For grass, Roundup or equivalent. Doesn't need much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it weren't in the middle of the road I'd suggest weed membrane. You could lift it by scraping it with a strong rake, that would work around gravel.

Or you could make a point of driving over it with the tyres of your car every time you drive in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get special blow torches for weeding to burn them. No chemicals necessary!
    I have one of those, but the slightest hint of a breeze keeps blowing it out, a PITA.

Advertisement