Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher taxes inevitable because of COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/tds-to-be-told-that-higher-taxes-are-necessary-to-offset-the-economic-fallout-from-covid-19/ar-BB15xP7G?ocid=msedgdhp

Well, the middle ground are already taxed to the rafters as a consequence of the economic fallout of the last crash in 2008.
    Simply, we cannot afford those 50,000 social houses. Building those houses is living beyond our means. All that Green goody goody crap is living beyond our means too. We can't afford it.
    Any views?

If the current government doesn't build a significant number of houses during its term, it'll be out on its ear, bags and baggage and it'll be a SF simple majority next time around.

I know the middle well taxed what about the wealthy? If the coi try needs more tax revenue, they're the simple and obvious ones to tax as far as I'm concerned.

I would have thought raising tax would not be the way they'll go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If the current government doesn't build a significant number of houses during its term, it'll be out on its ear, bags and baggage and it'll be a SF simple majority next time around.

I know the middle well taxed what about the wealthy? If the coi try needs more tax revenue, they're the simple and obvious ones to tax as far as I'm concerned.

I would have thought raising tax would not be the way they'll go though.
    The "wealthy" won't cover the shortfall, its the middle ground who are already struggling who will have to pay this bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We have high levels of tax as it is. We don't exactly get quality services for it. I suspect a higher level of "under the table" work if taxes are increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

The bar for being considered “wealthy” in this country is extremely low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tax the poor!! sure they dont need it anyway

• Advertisement

We have high levels of tax as it is. We don't exactly get quality services for it. I suspect a higher level of "under the table" work if taxes are increased.

If you tax labour then cash-in-hand tax evasion will surely increase. That's a different thing to taxing wealth. Taxing wealth seems the more sensible of the two options.

If you tax labour then cash-in-hand tax evasion will surely increase. That's a different thing to taxing wealth. Taxing wealth seems the more sensible of the two options.

Would you describe "wealth" as people who own their own house?
    Believe me, they are the very ones who can't afford an increase in taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Start with
    Stop all childrens allowance after 3 kids. Only going forward, if they have existing then continue
    Allow county council to take rent at source, stop the millions of euro wasted on people who wont pay rent
    Remove the christmas bonus. If you want a bonus for unemployed, get a f**king job.

CageWager wrote: »
    The bar for being considered “wealthy” in this country is extremely low.

Well, the bar for having the most basic form of wealth (a home) is extremely high and only getting further out of reach of normal young people.

Inheritance is against the very concept of meritocracy. That's a potential avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Overall taxes are not high in Ireland.

The overall level of taxes is middling.

You can argue, yes, that we don't get great value for money for our taxes, ok.

But overall taxes are not high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There'll definitely be some sort of covid tax. The borrowing nerds to be repaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well, the middle ground are already taxed to the rafters as a consequence of the economic fallout of the last crash in 2008. Simply, we cannot afford those 50,000 social houses. Building those houses is living beyond our means. All that Green goody goody crap is living beyond our means too. We can't afford it. Any views?

With rates at record lows, it's a perfect time to borrow and get building, we desperately need them and to stimulate the economy. We re not living beyond our means, that's just that normal economic conservative nonsense and frankly dangerous thinking

Would you describe "wealth" as people who own their own house?
    Believe me, they are the very ones who can't afford an increase in taxes.

I consider a house to be a form of wealth - it is a form of wealth. But I don't think I want to tax it. A second house or holiday house, is certainly wealth. There's absolutely no need for the notion of inheritance so I'd certainly do away with that. It's a longer term strategy though.

Tax revenue is falling at the moment.

As the economy recovers, tax revenues will rise.

Is that what you mean by higher taxes?

Or I suspect you mean that tax rates will have to be increased due to COVID?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    With rates at record lows, it's a perfect time to borrow and get building, we desperately need them and to stimulate the economy. We re not living beyond our means, that's just that normal economic conservative nonsense and frankly dangerous thinking

Yeah now's the time to do it. Plenty of people will be in need of the work and it's work that needs to be done. Borrowing while money is cheap means now is the perfect time to do it.

We started 2020 with a huge public debt.

We are borrowing during 2020, possibly up to 30bn.

That is a stimulus.

You seem to suggest we should do something, that is already happening.

Well said.

We simply can't afford the €10 billion+ build costs with a economic depression around the corner that will hit everyone like a bullet in the next six months.
    It's the calm before the storm. Enjoy the summer.

I consider a house to be a form of wealth - it is a form of wealth. But I don't think I want to tax it. A second house or holiday house, is certainly wealth. There's absolutely no need for the notion of inheritance so I'd certainly do away with that. It's a longer term strategy though.

It is widely agreed that property taxes are sensible.

Maybe not politically popular.

But very sensible, and superior, compared to alternative taxes.

We simply can't afford the €10 billion+ build costs with a economic depression around the corner that will hit everyone like a bullet in the next six months.
    It's the calm before the storm. Enjoy the summer.

What do you think should happen?

Is this about to become a dole bashing thread?

• Advertisement

What do you think should happen?

Is this about to become a dole bashing thread?
    You brought up the dole, not me.

Geuze wrote:
    We started 2020 with a huge public debt.

Rising public debt is the least of our worries, rising private and corporate debt is where the problem lies, if defaults and non performing loans increase in these sectors, expect our old banking issues to resurface, our rising deficit will be the least of our worries, as it could be the only game in town to get our economies going again, this is gonna get interesting but maybe a little scary

Geuze wrote: »
    It is widely agreed that property taxes are sensible.

Maybe not politically popular.

But very sensible, and superior, compared to alternative taxes.

I'd agree. By "alternative taxes" you mean conventional taxes like tax on labour and tax on transactions. But we so rarely talk about tax on income earned through having wealth.

If you rely on labour to earn a living, you're eligible for lots of tax. Of you earn a living from inherited wealth and investment, then you're eligible for lower tax (before you get into tax avoidance).

Yeah, wealth and inheritance tax is the way to go. Not popular at all though.

We simply can't afford the €10 billion+ build costs with a economic depression around the corner that will hit everyone like a bullet in the next six months. It's the calm before the storm. Enjoy the summer.

So don't borrow, don't do anything, and this will stimulate the economy by.....

You brought up the dole, not me.

OK. What do you think should happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Before they do the usual thing and tax everyone to death can they address the amount of people getting social welfare. Do we really need to keep bringing in people from Africa to sit on the dole here?

Get rid of the Christmas bonus too.

There I just saved billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The current Irish system does not have much more scope for increased taxes, otherwise it will be another tax revolt such as happened with Irish Water. This is what surprises me about the blind calls for more carbon tax, are the politicians not blind to what will happen once you directly increase the cost of living?

The most likely outcome is an inflationary wave due to a combination of increased costs of production and distribution combined with a reduced supply of goods, and the expansion of government debt (assuming they don't default, possibly some governments will forcibly convert bonds to longer maturation.) The ECB has been bailing out member states bond markets for several years now and they are onboard with the EU Green New Deal as cover for monetary expansion.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

OK. What do you think should happen?
    Don't build those 50,000 houses on borrowed money for starters. That would be a good starting point.

Don't build those 50,000 houses on borrowed money for starters. That would be a good starting point.

OK you said that in the OP. Anything else?

• Advertisement

So don't stimulate the economy, should make recovery easy alright!

Advertisement