Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is there any logic in turning the temporary cycle lanes into dedicated bus lanes? I'm not familiar with the bus routes or level of traffic during commuting times so it may not warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Chesterfield Avenue should be car free. Full stop.

There are many other places to get through the Park like North Road.

Parking is another issue of course, and the OPW should be thinking of ways to enable parking without impacting on the fabric of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The previous cycle lane needs to restored obviously, more than adequate.
    It's narrower and had constant problems with pedestrians walking on it.
    If you restore the cycle lane you'll have people still walking on it due to not noticing the change, so it'll be worse than ever.
    That and you'll make it worse for pedestrians from a social distancing point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's narrower and had constant problems with pedestrians walking on it.
    If you restore the cycle lane you'll have people still walking on it due to not noticing the change, so it'll be worse than ever.
    That and you'll make it worse for pedestrians from a social distancing point of view.

Fine, whatever, improve the signage over what was there before.

And social distancing my eye, 50 people can gather under a roof now, the Avenue alone has 8,000+ metres of 2.5m wide footpath, not to mention the other 7 million square metres of Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fine, whatever, improve the signage over what was there before.

And social distancing my eye, 50 people can gather under a roof now, the Avenue alone has 8,000+ metres of 2.5m wide footpath, not to mention the other 7 million square metres of Park!

Social distancing aside, the old footpath wasn't really fit for purpose, hence walkers commandeering the cycle lane. Especially in the evening time where many wouldn't feel comfortable being so far away from the main road in poor light. Also too poorly maintained for precious joggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I would say free for three hours. And then a hefty charge per hour

Unworkable. Dunno about other people but I'd easily and regularly spend 3 hours plus there, moreso if visiting the zoo and getting grub at the visitors centre afterwards m

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There is also no hard shoulder now on chesterfield Avenue if you happen to have car trouble. That will create some traffic Jam when it happens.

Clutching at straws there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Rosser wrote: »
    Jesus it’s hardly the trek to the South Pole

Do you work for Ryanair....

It's traditional to put a car park vaguely close to where your intending to go to.

You could try getting people to park at the zoo and walk to Farmleigh and the reverse etc if you think it doesn't matter.

beauf wrote: »
    Do you work for Ryanair....

It's traditional to put a car park vaguely close to

The car park beside knockmaroon gate, is right beside the entrance.
    Is that not what you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Would be great if they added an underground car park at the existing car parking spaces, thereby adding parking space without distracting from the park.

• Advertisement

Chesterfield Avenue should be car free. Full stop.

I disagree. I think that chesterfield avenue should be the only road in the park on which you can drive and park. Keep the rest of the park quiet and undisturbed. The whole of the Upper Glen side and ordnance survey road being completely car free would be wonderful

Hurrache wrote: »
    Unworkable. Dunno about other people but I'd easily and regularly spend 3 hours plus there, moreso if visiting the zoo and getting grub at the visitors centre afterwards m

5 hours then. Just something to keep commuters from using the park as their park-and-ride

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Well you’d be a very silly sausage parking at the zoo when you wanted to visit Farmleigh which has its own car park.

What I don’t want is people using the park to transit through, enjoy it by parking in dedicated car parks and then off you go on your 1.5km walks.

All irrelevant debate lads, some of the biggest users are Guards attending the CCJ, which means no charges, no time limits.

I mean they managed to get 'Garda Vehicles Only' painted on a stretch by the OPW.

Also, I sat on a jury myself in the CCJ for six weeks, I was picked on the last day and I've seen how difficult it is to get solid jurors. If the Courts Service see the easy parking for them being eliminated, phone calls will be made.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The car park beside knockmaroon gate, is right beside the entrance.
    Is that not what you wanted?

Yes build a car park exactly where there is one already. That's exactly what I suggested.

That discussion all started from people parking on the avenue and on the grass particularly on the north road. Though some also day that doesn't happen. So I can see why knockmaroon would be the obvious choice for some.

Then you have College and tower road. Yet another unmitigated disaster of planning and traffic management. Another route to be avoided where possible.

Well you’d be a very silly sausage parking at the zoo when you wanted to visit Farmleigh which has its own car park.

What I don’t want is people using the park to transit through, enjoy it by parking in dedicated car parks and then off you go on your 1.5km walks.

Well you implied a few kilometres walk from a car park is a non issue. Now even you think it's silly. Not very consistent.

Farmleigh is an interesting subject. Has at least two if not three direct road access entrances. But instead the OPW run all the traffic through the park to it. Are you saying this is what you want. Dedicated parking at the venue. At the Zoo, at the papal cross. All are accessed by driving through the middle of the park to the venue.

Why not 1.5k walk away from them. It's hardly a trek to the south pole is it..

All irrelevant debate lads, some of the biggest users are Guards attending the CCJ, which means no charges, no time limits.

I mean they managed to get 'Garda Vehicles Only' painted on a stretch by the OPW.

Also, I sat on a jury myself in the CCJ for six weeks, I was picked on the last day and I've seen how difficult it is to get solid jurors. If the Courts Service see the easy parking for them being eliminated, phone calls will be made.

So give jurors a parking pass if that’s the blocker. Still don’t see any reason why measures can’t be put in place to stop commuters using the park for park and ride

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Had a friend who worked in a building across the road from the CCJ (Dublin region homeless executive). They had an arrangement with the Aisling hotel where he could park in their car park for free (at a great value arrangement for the taxpayer I'm sure, especially as his space sat empty as he didn't have a car). Wonder could something similar be done for the CCJ. Of course it would mean lots more taxpayer money going to towards carpark owners

Well you implied a few kilometres walk from a car park is a non issue. Now even you think it's silly. Not very consistent.

Farmleigh is an interesting subject. Has at least two if not three direct road access entrances. But instead the OPW run all the traffic through the park to it. Are you saying this is what you want. Dedicated parking at the venue. At the Zoo, at the papal cross. All are accessed by driving through the middle of the park to the venue.

Why not 1.5k walk away from them. It's hardly a trek to the south pole is it..

Right so Ted, open the other gates to Farmleigh, access it from outside the park. Allow access to the Zoo from the Gate on Parkgate Street, Knockmaroon car park from Knockmaroon Gate, close all other gates and roads.

Give anyone who can walk 1.5km to other parts of the park a Tom Crean award for expeditionary adventures.

All area access to cyclists and pedestrians only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Further restrictions on cars planned for Phoenix Park
    http://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0626/1149876-phoenix-park-cars/

RTE reporting on this now. I'm sure the "car is king/reopen Grafton St to motor cars" brigade with go nuts reading this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

ongarboy wrote: »
    Further restrictions on cars planned for Phoenix Park
    http://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0626/1149876-phoenix-park-cars/

RTE reporting on this now. I'm sure the "car is king/reopen Grafton St to motor cars" brigade with go nuts reading this!

This is brilliant news!

Not a settled issue folks, don't pop the champagne corks yet.

The OPW have failed to carry out the necessary public consultation process and amend the bye-laws to the Park. A big push back on this narrow unilateral action is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

The OPW have failed to carry out the necessary public consultation process and amend the bye-laws to the Park. A big push back on this narrow unilateral action is coming.

I reckon the pedestrians and families who use the park will have their say over the 100 or so eejits who use it as a car park for the city centre and don't really have a better reason for objecting than that :-)

maxsmum wrote: »
    I reckon the pedestrians and families who use the park will have their say over the 100 or so eejits who use it as a car park for the city centre and don't really have a better reason for objecting than that :-)

I'm not one of those, my angle is as a park user travelling from beyond walking and cycling distance, wanting to transport kids and their gear for whole afternoons down there. If they restrict traditionally uses parking, people will park on the grass all over the place and that causes even more damage and safety issues.

But in relation to your first point, most of those 'eejits' are Guards attending the CCJ, as they do. If you think their parking habits will change, dream on.

Right so Ted, open the other gates to Farmleigh, access it from outside the park. Allow access to the Zoo from the Gate on Parkgate Street, Knockmaroon car park from Knockmaroon Gate, close all other gates and roads.

Well that was my suggestion earlier and was told I wanted to concrete the whole park.

Keep it closed until oct once everything is back. Then you'll see how it works.

There is nothing in the bye laws requiring public consultation nor is there anything in the standing bye laws that require to be changed. I’ve just read all 12 and not the abbreviations either

If the Commissioner acts with the consent of the Minister (presumably Environment) then that’s that. Since the Minister is likely to be a Green Party one in about 12 hours I don’t fancy anyone’s chances...

Well that was my suggestion earlier and was told I wanted to concrete the whole park.

Keep it closed until oct once everything is back. Then you'll see how it works.

Everyone on the same page and all good - teamwork makes the car free Phoenix Park dream work

There is nothing in the bye laws requiring public consultation nor is there anything in the standing bye laws that require to be changed. I’ve just read all 12 and not the abbreviations either

If the Commissioner acts with the consent of the Minister (presumably Environment) then that’s that. Since the Minister is likely to be a Green Party one in about 12 hours I don’t fancy anyone’s chances...

No actually, its the Minister for Finance, so you didn't read them that closely.

It would be pretty well unprecedented to make permanent changes of this nature without public consultation. Also, it has escaped everyone's attention that they'd need carry one out anyway for an extinguishment of the public rights of way under the Roads Act if they intend to permanently close the 6 gates.

Its a shambles and it will be more of a shambles when Castleknock, Cabra, Chapelizod and the NCR all have their streets turned into carparks.

As soon as this Government is sat down, I'll be pushing this with Varadkar and Chambers offices again. This over-zealous unilateral nonsense won't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Could be this government minister in charge:. The Office of Public Works is an Irish Government agency whose primary function is to support the implementation of Government policy and advise the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform and the Minister of State at that Department, principally in the disciplines of property and flood risk management. Wikipedia
    Headquarters location: Dublin
    Parent department: Department of Public Expenditure and Reform of Ireland
    Minister responsible: Kevin "Boxer" Moran, TD, Minister of State, Department of Public Expenditure and Reform
    Agency executive: Maurice Buckley, Chairman
    Founded: October 15, 1831
    Jurisdiction: Ireland
    Type of business: Government Agency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Could be this government minister in charge:. The Office of Public Works is an Irish Government agency whose primary function is to support the implementation of Government policy and advise the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform and the Minister of State at that Department, principally in the disciplines of property and flood risk management. Wikipedia
    Headquarters location: Dublin
    Parent department: Department of Public Expenditure and Reform of Ireland
    Minister responsible: Kevin "Boxer" Moran, TD, Minister of State, Department of Public Expenditure and Reform
    Agency executive: Maurice Buckley, Chairman
    Founded: October 15, 1831
    Jurisdiction: Ireland
    Type of business: Government Agency

Advertisement