Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

beauf wrote: »
    Is it ever full?

Yes it was every day, people in navan, trim, dunboyne etc use it. Drive to it then get the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Phil.x wrote: »
    Yes it was every day, people in navan, trim, dunboyne etc use it. Drive to it then get the train.

I know the M3 Parkway outside Dunboyne after a slow start is now full everyday when the World is normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No idea but it wouldnt have the spaces if you wanted it for the park......if you think the zoo normally gets over 1 mill visitors per year on its own

We are ignoring capacity issues. They don't exist apparently. People are choosing to drive half way around the park, and park on the grass and ignoring the empty car parks. Apparently. Which is interesting because we had to wait to get a space in the visitor park the last day. Which has never happened before.

All in my imagination of course.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I know the M3 Parkway outside Dunboyne after a slow start is now full everyday when the World is normal

M3 Parkway explains why the Docklands train used to be crammed.

I've almost never used to the Navan Road Parkway. The rare time I did it was empty, but that would have been a few years back. Always wondered why it wasn't more popular with people from Meath. Obviously is now.

Going to even busier with people going to Park now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

brucky wrote: »
    I live right next to the park and think that all cars should be banned from the park and the surrounding areas as that would suit me and my family who I have to put first.

It's not your private park. If you want one of those move to Pembroke Square. The Park belongs to the people of Ireland and should be accessible to everyone.

• Advertisement

They'll fill them to overflowing as they currently do.

You're dragging traffic into and through the park.

why would you want half empty car parks?
    a full car park is doing it's job.

if by 'traffic' you mean, park users? so?

M3 Parkway explains why the Docklands train used to be crammed.

I've almost never used to the Navan Road Parkway. The rare time I did it was empty, but that would have been a few years back. Always wondered why it wasn't more popular with people from Meath. Obviously is now.

Going to even busier with people going to Park now. :D

The docklands train at rush hour is mental, next they will have the pushers to cram more people onto it.....I was meeting my brother one evening at M3 parkway, train stopped and literally the whole train came running off and jumped into cars. I was wondering what the hell was going on.

He explained that people are running because the queue now to get out of the carpark now will be crazy as the whole train is leaving.

ronivek wrote: »
    There were always spaces there just inside the gate; meaning I didn’t have to drive all the way through the park just to find parking and take up spaces that could be used by people who want to actually visit the pitches or zoo or whatever.

So now if I want to go for a walk in the park I need to make sure it’s not during peak times so I’m not wasting time finding parking; and even then I’m limited with where I can walk because the places to park are now so limited.

It’s hardly the end of the world; but it’s irritating to have parking spaces clearly available and an amenity I’ve used for a significant amount of time restricting access off the back of forced closures due to Covid-19.

It was a hard shoulder of the avenue, not a car park, now there is no parking there & it is much safer for all users.
    Im not sure why you think you have less rights then a zoo goer? You are entitled to park same as every other park user?

Caranica wrote: »
    It's not your private park. If you want one of those move to Pembroke Square. The Park belongs to the people of Ireland and should be accessible to everyone.

It would be with a park n ride.

You dont need to drive a car up the middle of it to say it is accessible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It would be with a park n ride.

You dont need to drive a car up the middle of it to say it is accessible

Park and ride is not a panacea. Posters on this thread have already detailed illnesses, disabilities and other reasons this would not work for them. Also the Park is open 24/7. In summer you have very early morning runners and very late at night runners. P&R would not work for them.

• Advertisement

The docklands train at rush hour is mental, next they will have the pushers to cram more people onto it.....I was meeting my brother one evening at M3 parkway, train stopped and literally the whole train came running off and jumped into cars. I was wondering what the hell was going on.

He explained that people are running because the queue now to get out of the carpark now will be crazy as the whole train is leaving.

I know, been using it for year. Stopped last year. Went back driving.

bubblypop wrote: »
    why would you want half empty car parks?
    a full car park is doing it's job.

if by 'traffic' you mean, park users? so?

Well you can't get into it, if its full.

Thought they wanted to ban traffic.

Well you can't get into it, if its full.

Thought they wanted to ban traffic.

you seem to be the only one advocating for a ban on traffic:rolleyes:

Good luck with that.
    Rosser wrote: »
    All area access to cyclists and pedestrians only

Rosser wrote: »
    Everyone on the same page and all good - teamwork makes the car free Phoenix Park dream work

Caranica wrote: »
    Park and ride is not a panacea. Posters on this thread have already detailed illnesses, disabilities and other reasons this would not work for them. Also the Park is open 24/7. In summer you have very early morning runners and very late at night runners. P&R would not work for them.

Plenty of parking in the areas around for specific requirements. Outside your standard hours the people in park you could count on one hand. Are you saying people are driving from all over Dublin to park up and run in the morning/nightime?

The park n ride is to cater during rush hours.

Disabilities of course could be catered for.

What other reasons?

...Outside your standard hours the people in park you could count on one hand. ...

Don't be bringing common sense into it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Why don't they just put in bollards to close off through traffic?

- Main Ave between Aras and Castleknock Gate (As they have for last number of summers)
    - Furze Rd (Already in place)
    - North Road (beside Aras & close to Zoo allowing small numbers of parking there)
    - Ordnance Survey Rd (one side of OSI offices)
    - Acres Rd (have hospital traffic use Chapelizod gate only)

Aside
    Wellington Rd is ok as it already no parking, Kyber car park to remain.
    A lot of the measures have already been used one time or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Plenty of parking in the areas around for specific requirements. Outside your standard hours the people in park you could count on one hand. Are you saying people are driving from all over Dublin to park up and run in the morning/nightime?

The park n ride is to cater during rush hours.

Disabilities of course could be catered for.

What other reasons?

Oh I dunno, the forced capacity reduction due to the bloody pandemic!

I don't know if anyone noticed, by way of example, but on Saturday evening the new cabinet were transported from Government Buildings to Dublin Castle to receive their appointments and onwards to the Convention Centre. There are 15 of them and due to the social distancing requirement it took three coaches to do it!!

Primarily, what both the OPW and various zealous posters here are failing to do is to acknowledge that permanent changes to the Park are being made a) in untypical times, failing to consider the full impact when life approaches normal again and b) without adequate public consultation as they are bound to do. This is a NATIONAL amenity and even an international one, both the OPW and many people here who can walk to it are utterly remiss in considering that and think its their own personal back yard.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Primarily, what both the OPW and various zealous posters here are failing to do is to acknowledge that permanent changes to the Park are being made a) in untypical times, failing to consider the full impact when life approaches normal again and b) without adequate public consultation as they are bound to do. This is a NATIONAL amenity and even an international one, both the OPW and many people here who can walk to it are utterly remiss in considering that and think its their own personal back yard.

You are right. It is a national amenity. That’s why I don’t think that there should be any pushback to installing bollards to prevent through traffic on every road other than Chesterfield (allowing for access to car parks for park users), and prohibiting parking for those using it to get into the city

• Advertisement

You are right. It is a national amenity. That’s why I don’t think that there should be any pushback to installing bollards to prevent through traffic on every road other than Chesterfield (allowing for access to car parks for park users), and prohibiting parking for those using it to get into the city

I don't think you understand the consequences. I mean yes, fine, the southern roads around the Furry Glen and St Marys are bollarded to some extent for many years, but having all 6 side gates open acts as a relief valve to Chesterfield Avenue. Without them, in normal traffic conditions, Chesterfield will be constantly congested and Castleknock village will be gridlocked (its bad enough already since Lidl arrived).

Yes, the side gates could be adjusted for maybe one-way flow and Ashtown certainly needs regularising, but people aren't dealing with the realities here, the Park doesn't exist in a bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think you understand the consequences. I mean yes, fine, the southern roads around the Furry Glen and St Marys are bollarded to some extent for many years, but having all 6 side gates open acts as a relief valve to Chesterfield Avenue. Without them, in normal traffic conditions, Chesterfield will be constantly congested and Castleknock village will be gridlocked (its bad enough already since Lidl arrived).

Yes, the side gates could be adjusted for maybe one-way flow and Ashtown certainly needs regularising, but people aren't dealing with the realities here, the Park doesn't exist in a bubble.

There is a wider discussion needed around access to the city centre from Dublin 15. This discussion needs to take into account the developmental needs of Dublin 15, particularly the employment and educational needs of the growing population.

Currently there are around six access routes (with some variation) to the City Centre. All of them are already difficult or congested or have future plans to cause problems.

(1) M50 South and access via Chapelizod Bypass - Tolled route, often the quickest when leaving town, but costly, and congestion bound to increase with Bus Connects

(2) Knockmaroon Hill and Chapelizod Village - Heavily congested with school traffic to Castleknock College and Mount Sackville in the mornings, with difficult traffic light access onto Chapelizod Road. Speed ramps and narrow roads are an additional obstacle that make this route an unsuitable commuter route.

(3) Blackhorse Avenue - Heavily congested at the city end, where traffic light problems often force traffic down Oxmanstown Road. Again speed ramps and narrow road make this an unsuitable commuter route, but bound to see increased traffic if the current madness continues.

(4) Old Cabra Road - Down the Navan Road, turn left and head down Old Cabra Road.....oops, can't do that anymore in a few years when the bus gate for Bus Connects prevents it.

(5) Cabra Road into Phibsboro - Down the Navan Road, straight on because you can't turn right into Old Cabra Road, before hitting the congestion that is Phibsboro, which will only get worse.

(6) Chesterfield Avenue - we know what the OPW are planning.

We have a current situation whereby the access routes from Dublin 15 to the city centre are probably at three or four times capacity already with journey times in excess of an hour. All of the plans will see this capacity reduced by approximately 50%. The solution is the DART expansion to Maynooth, as well as work on light rail in Dublin 15 to provide access to the DART.

Without that public transport, Dublin 15 will remain removed and remote from the city centre with all the problems of lack of access to higher education and employment that the remoteness brings.

I would argue theres three main choke points. But which ever way you look at it. It's pretty bad and not going to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Yes I've heard it can take 20min+ to exit the carpark. And the greens want more park and ride . I haven't seen it, but it must be something else of a planning job.

M3 parkway is very large carpark in fairness. A whole train load is a lot of people all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

M3 parkway is very large carpark in fairness. A whole train load is a lot of people all at once.

Sounds like the planning for it wasn't done correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Posters act like the car parking public are there to use the park. They arent, they're parking to go to work in town for a large part (outside COVID). Why should the OPW take park space to provide car parking for businesses in Dublin 1? Let them build underground parking if their employees simply must drive to work.

ED E wrote: »
    Posters act like the car parking public are there to use the park. They arent, they're parking to go to work in town for a large part (outside COVID). Why should the OPW take park space to provide car parking for businesses in Dublin 1? Let them build underground parking if their employees simply must drive to work.

Parking for the Zoo and the Criminal Courts far outweigh other parking.

You aren't going to get Guards for the CCJ to park anywhere else and the Park Rangers aren't going to upset them.

Sounds like the planning for it wasn't done correctly.

For once I would say that's not the problem. But the train isn't that frequent and on a very limited schedule window. So it's causing a sudden peak. People getting sick and even passing out on that train isn't that unusual unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Parking for the Zoo and the Criminal Courts far outweigh other parking.

You aren't going to get Guards for the CCJ to park anywhere else and the Park Rangers aren't going to upset them.

The Garda HQ is 5 mins walk to criminal courts, yes you have the odd Garda car parked at the criminal courts but it’s again something you could count on one hand

The zoo parking well it depends, if a good day you have zoo parking alright but you end up back up before Aras because of all the people who park for work along that strip.

Stop those people parking and it would make it easier to get to zoo.

Why should it be used as a car park?

Advertisement