Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Interestingly Jack Chambers has just been appointed Minister of State at the Department of Finance, a position that heretofore has been in charge of the OPW.

If my previous communications with his office are anything to go by, I look forward to his support overturning the well meaning but ultimately over-zealous and I would argue, ultra vires, actions of that body.

Wrong. Patrick O'Donovan is minister of state for Opw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Interestingly Jack Chambers has just been appointed Minister of State at the Department of Finance, a position that heretofore has been in charge of the OPW.

If my previous communications with his office are anything to go by, I look forward to his support overturning the well meaning but ultimately over-zealous and I would argue, ultra vires, actions of that body.

Good luck to you on your quest

No harm Jack, lovely lad but Daddy is running that show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ha ha. I'll get the popcorn.

Pity Chambers got any sort of a role, the terrible person that he is. A guy who didn't have to fund his failed college experiment, lives at home, was parachuted into a 'family' job, what the **** does he know about finance, at best he can manage his pocket money.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭I told ya

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ha ha. I'll get the popcorn.

Pity Chambers got any sort of a role, the terrible person that he is. A guy who didn't have to fund his failed college experiment, lives at home, was parachuted into a 'family' job, what the **** does he know about finance, at best he can manage his pocket money.

Sounds ideal for the job:)

I'm from an old 3 seater rural constituency, that always voted 2FF & 1FG, going back 50 years and more . The FF canvassers used to also canvas for a certain FG candidate, on the basis that the FG candidate was so bad he made the FF guys look great. The FG guy was a TD for 20 odd years and rumor has it he never opened his mouth in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jams100 wrote: »
    Wrong. Patrick O'Donovan is minister of state for Opw.

So he is, I'll have to ask Jack to cross the hallway for a chat so. No doubt a bit of mutual back scratching by new coalition colleagues will help to build relationships.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Good luck to you on your quest

No harm Jack, lovely lad but Daddy is running that show

I was already speaking to the father on the back of another matter of local interest, but for official communication I find it better to address it to the person who actually got elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

The Green Party will likely send Jack or his Father on their merry way, if people think anything will be rolled back that is pro car, pro local interest or just plain old contrarian I suspect disappointment awaits.

Ultra vires...perhaps seek a judicial review?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So he is, I'll have to ask Jack to cross the hallway for a chat so. No doubt a bit of mutual back scratching by new coalition colleagues will help to build relationships.

Good luck getting the junior minister to help with anything. The least responsive of any of the TDs I've contacted after nearly 20 years living in the constituency.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning a trip to the zoo this week, but all the talk of parking and roads being closed etc has me worried about finding parking.

Obviously there's the car parks, but I worry I've read that they fill up quick, so I want to have options ready in case we need to park elsewhere.

Is there a list of car parking options? Or do you guys reckon it will be ok getting a space in the car parks beside the zoo?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning a trip to the zoo this week, but all the talk of parking and roads being closed etc has me worried about finding parking.

Obviously there's the car parks, but I worry I've read that they fill up quick, so I want to have options ready in case we need to park elsewhere.

Is there a list of car parking options? Or do you guys reckon it will be ok getting a space in the car parks beside the zoo?

you will get parking in the zoo car park, shouldn't be a problem. there are also two other car parks across the avenue. It hasn't got so busy yet.
    I think you still need to book in advance for the zoo? Just book the morning, will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bubblypop wrote: »
    you will get parking in the zoo car park, shouldn't be a problem. there are also two other car parks across the avenue. It hasn't got so busy yet.
    I think you still need to book in advance for the zoo? Just book the morning, will be grand

Booked tickets yesterday. Had been filled up for a few weeks, and then they seemed to restructure their times and freed up a load of tickets.

First time I've travelled outside 5km of my house in 4 months, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Phil.x wrote: »

Give the park back to the people? Quick check on your past posts indicates you’re really about giving the park back to cars. Speed bumps no, Eamon Ryan you don’t want him. Cycling provision on the new Snugborough interchange no don’t want that. Pedestrianised streets, you don’t want them either. Honda Civics, Jap imports yes please to all them.

I corrected this

This decision poll seems to have been rushed through with little forward thinking and engagement with local communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Rosser wrote: »
    Give the park back to the people? Quick check on your past posts indicates you’re really about giving the park back to cars. Speed bumps no, Eamon Ryan you don’t want him. Cycling provision on the new Snugborough interchange no don’t want that. Pedestrianised streets, you don’t want them either. Honda Civics, Jap imports yes please to all them.

Stop snooping. Bet you're a "cyclist" even without snooping on your posts, let me guess, cycle to coffee shop, what tights, ban cars, ban oil and gas, pixie dust and Walter Mitty movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭micar

No thanks.....keep the gates closed

I corrected this

This decision poll seems to have been rushed through with little forward thinking and engagement with local communities.

Wrong.

I've signed and shared the reopening petition, thanks Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wrong.

Me too

Rosser wrote: »

Its all his opinion.

I agree with most of what you attribute to him there, by the way, but don't ever assume you're in a majority just because you're feeling righteous about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm a keep the gates closed fan.

Sorry now, but cars have ruined many a place already. There is nothing to stop cars parking in the Pheeno, it is the way car drivers think it is a thoroughfare for everything that gets me.

• Advertisement

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/no-more-traffic-through-phoenix-park

Close the gate petition, so far streaking ahead of open the gates :-)

Sign away, it will f**k all difference anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Please sign.

Fair play I've signed.

I'm sick + tired of decisions been made about Dublin with no consultation or in blatant disregard for planning laws.

Phoneix Park latest one but Owen Keegan won't rest until he has whole of Dublin turned into cycle lanes/pedestrianed despite An Bord Pleanala ruling against his plan for example for College Green.

Wrong.

Maybe the idea is worthwhile but f**k me the one that started it could have at least put a few mins thought into her reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/no-more-traffic-through-phoenix-park

Close the gate petition, so far streaking ahead of open the gates :-)

Sign away, it will f**k all difference anyway

Just takes someone with cojones to make the decision to give this wonderful park back to the people and leave cars and parking out of it.

It can be done, and everyone will get used to it eventually. No need for endless cars there ever. We have more than enough of that elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Just takes someone with cojones to make the decision to give this wonderful park back to the people and leave cars and parking out of it.

It can be done, and everyone will get used to it eventually. No need for endless cars there ever. We have more than enough of that elsewhere.

Most people can’t get to the park due to the lack of accessible public transport where they live. Try thinking of others not just yourself.

Maybe the idea is worthwhile but f**k me the one that started it could have at least put a few mins thought into her reasons

Some exaggeration in it, but I'd generally agree with the creator.

Some exaggeration in it, but I'd generally agree with the creator.

Why is this important?

Phoenix Park is a worldclass amenity to the people who live nearby, on day trips, and tourists alike. The decision to only have 2 gates open to vehicular traffic is seriously restricting access to the park. Traffic volumes are increasing now that we are coming out of lockdown. Congestion in the surrounding areas is already a huge issue. This will only increase with these access routes cut off without an alternative solution.

(Agree)

It can now take up to an hour to get from one end of the park to the other ; particularly at weekends with increased demand for the Zoo, Farmleigh and the Visitor Centre. Engine emissions from cars sitting on Chesterfield Avenue must surely be offsetting any potential environmental gain.

(This has been somewhat alleviated,but we'll see how effectively on the next sunny weekend)

Parts of the Park will become no go areas due to their isolation. There are no plans for an increased OPW presence with the gate closures.

(Agree)

This decision seems to have been rushed through with little forward thinking and engagement with local communities. Give the park back to the people and then work on alternatives to reduce car traffic.

(Agree)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭micar

appledrop wrote: »

Please sign.

Fair play I've signed.

I'm sick + tired of decisions been made about Dublin with no consultation or in blatant disregard for planning laws.

Phoneix Park latest one but Owen Keegan won't rest until he has whole of Dublin turned into cycle lanes/pedestrianed despite An Bord Pleanala ruling against his plan for example for College Green.

Why are you so against this?

I'm a keep the gates closed fan.

Sorry now, but cars have ruined many a place already. There is nothing to stop cars parking in the Pheeno, it is the way car drivers think it is a thoroughfare for everything that gets me.

Hate to point this out, but the only thing they HAVEN'T affected with their over-zealousness is the through-traffic.

And, with the balls up they've made, they have precluded themselves from being able to partially shut the main avenue at all as they have over summer weekends in previous years. Joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

micar wrote: »
    Why are you so against this?

Because unlike Dublin City Council + OPW I believe in consultation + planning rules.

Advertisement