Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Most people can’t get to the park due to the lack of accessible public transport where they live. Try thinking of others not just yourself.

Well then they should stay away. I cannot go to the Burren on a whim either. It's tough isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

appledrop wrote: »
    Because unlike Dublin City Council + OPW I believe in consultation + planning rules.

That's not answering my question......

Why are you against making Dublin city centre more cycle and pedestrian friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just takes someone with cojones to make the decision to give this wonderful park back to the people and leave cars and parking out of it.

It can be done, and everyone will get used to it eventually. No need for endless cars there ever. We have more than enough of that elsewhere.

You're living in dreamland. Do you think it has, in some way, not belonged to the people all this time? Are there 4x4s yomping over the 15 acres scattering deer everywhere, tearing up the Furry Glen and disturbing the cottagers?!

There are at least ten amenities and facilities in that Park that need parking to be viable. I've named them before here.

The point is, in no other circumstances (eg a traffic proposal from the City Council) can a public body act unilaterally without public consultation. These measures were acceptable in the early stages of Covid as an emergency measure, but they cannot use that indefinitely. As I've also said before, OPW cannot unilaterally extinguish the rights of way through those 6 gates, not indefinitely. They in fact MUST reopen before consultating on any permanent changes.

micar wrote: »

Why are you against making Dublin city centre more cycle and pedestrian friendly?

I'll give you my answer, if I may.

The only priority now is the economy, restoring employment. Making any major changes in untypical times is poor practice and could cripple certain vital activities within the City.

Usual Captain Ahab stuff from DCC and OPW won't be tolerated by rates payers and employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Well then they should stay away. I cannot go to the Burren on a whim either. It's tough isn't it.

As I said, selfish. Dublin and the park is for everyone not just you and your two wheeler friends.

• Advertisement

So long as public transport in this City in at a forced level of reduced capacity, your argument is moot and your nonsense about the Burren betrays the fact you know that full well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Most people can’t get to the park due to the lack of accessible public transport where they live. Try thinking of others not just yourself.

How can you not get to it?

I don’t live beside the park, I used to and moved but still can get to it now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Making any major changes.........could cripple certain vital activities within the City.

Usual Captain Ahab stuff from DCC and OPW won't be tolerated by rates payers and employers.

What's your evidence of this?

The PP was my playground back in the day. We were sent off to the Furry Glen for the day and so on, was magical.

I know I am looking at this through rose tinted glasses, but honestly the amount of cars now is just unreal. And unsustainable in the long run.

There is (paid) parking for the day available up the road in Collins Barracks Museum. Alternatives are available.

I'll give you my answer, if I may.

The only priority now is the economy, restoring employment. Making any major changes in untypical times is poor practice and could cripple certain vital activities within the City.

The priority is not only the economy, be honest to yourself since the 80s all that was priority was the economy....when was it not?

The environment and economy should be of equal importance.

• Advertisement

As I said, selfish. Dublin and the park is for everyone not just you and your two wheeler friends.

The only selfish people I see is the one who has no regard for the environment and just think about their own comforts

So long as public transport in this City in at a forced level of reduced capacity, your argument is moot and your nonsense about the Burren betrays the fact you know that full well.

No need to be so angry. Why is that, just debate the issue at hand.

The PP was my playground back in the day. We were sent off to the Furry Glen for the day and so on, was magical.

I know I am looking at this through rose tinted glasses, but honestly the amount of cars now is just unreal. And unsustainable in the long run.

There is (paid) parking for the day available up the road in Collins Barracks Museum. Alternatives are available.

Loads of alternatives but that would mean potentially doing some exercise and not driving right up to the gates of zoo or what you might be doing in park

I have actually seen people that get dropped right up to the zoo as they don’t want to walk down, not disabled or anything, just pure lazy. Then people wonder why kids are so over weight....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The priority is not only the economy, be honest to yourself since the 80s all that was priority was the economy....when was it not?

The environment and economy should be of equal importance.

Its never not been. But I'm talking about escaping from an economic black hole of the kind and suddenness and scale never seen since the beginning of the State.

Don't take my word for it, why have all the green policies in the Programme for Government been back-loaded to the second half of this Dáil, or even towards 2030! Hell, even Eamon Ryan is saying we're going to borrow our arses off for the immediate future!

I think people should get very real about whats happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This measure was introduced by stealth during a national emergency, and seems to have been retained unilaterally by the OPW without proper consultation with the community.

What's worse is that this seems to be just the start of a wider agenda the OPW have to force the car out.

I'm deeply concerned about the precedent this sets for the future. This means that unelected officials in the OPW can basically have a free shot at whatever they want from here on in - even if it's a very divisive measure.

What's your evidence of this?

The lack of public consultation about the very things we are talking about! The zealots are using the cover of the pandemic to ram through things which always caused these divisions before! Never waste a good crisis, as they say.

hardybuck wrote: »
    This measure was introduced by stealth during a national emergency, and seems to have been retained unilaterally by the OPW without proper consultation with the community.

What's worse is that this seems to be just the start of a wider agenda the OPW have to force the car out.

I'm deeply concerned about the precedent this sets for the future. This means that unelected officials in the OPW can basically have a free shot at whatever the want from here on in - even if it's a very divisive measure.

Exaaaaaactly.

Please sign the petition and write to your TDs and councillors.

Car drivers can find alternatives.

I'm one of them, but I don't expect the whole of Ireland to facilitate me either, but many obviously do.

Loads of alternatives but that would mean potentially doing some exercise and not driving right up to the gates of zoo or what you might be doing in park

I have actually seen people that get dropped right up to the zoo as they don’t want to walk down, not disabled or anything, just pure lazy. Then people wonder why kids are so over weight....

Quite ironic given the hysteria about EXERCISE of late. LOL.

Its never not been. But I'm talking about escaping from an economic black hole of the kind and suddenness and scale never seen since the beginning of the State.

Don't take my word for it, why have all the green policies in the Programme for Government been back-loaded to the second half of this Dáil, or even towards 2030! Hell, even Eamon Ryan is saying we're going to borrow our arses off for the immediate future!

I think people should get very real about whats happening here.

I’m real, recovery can be done while implementing green policies. It’s fairly simple.

The biggest issue we have in Ireland is the population are incapable of change. Anything different and people lose their s**t.

The current crisis was supposed to change the World, but you just want to get back to exactly the same way it was as quick as possible, seems to me a few people haven’t really learned anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It is for everyone.

Nevertheless there are amenities and parks in all parts of the country.

They shouldn't be turned into car parks so that people can drive to them.

The current crisis was supposed to change the World, but you just want to get back to exactly the same way it was as quick as possible, seems to me a few people haven’t really learned anything?

Ok, listen, I'm just here to talk about bringing the family to the Phoenix Park man. I don't think you can lay the watershed moment for the World at my door. If this crisis was "supposed" to change the World, I must've missed that memo.

But in all seriousness, I don't think there was a single thing wrong with the setup of the Park prior to March of this year.

Correction, I would rearrange Ashtown Gate to be one-way permanently as its a mess, but other than that, twas all grand as far as I'm concerned. Other people seem to agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The Knockmaroon hill and Tower Road will be an absolute disaster in September if the side gates remain closed, I have in the past avoided the hill by using the gate after Mount Sackville and exiting at the Islandbridge gate. Chapelizod will be badly affected and I can’t see them standing for it. Wasn’t there a call to close Chapelizod to through traffic in recent times. I also love the park, I visit a couple of times a week with the kids, Furry Glen, Ashton castle and Popes Cross in particular as well as being season ticket holders to the zoo and cars and traffic have never taken away from the experience. In fact it will just mean that I won’t visit the Park as often, if at all. Open the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Car drivers can find alternatives.

I'm one of them, but I don't expect the whole of Ireland to facilitate me either, but many obviously do.

Why don’t you get rid of your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Ok, listen, I'm just here to talk about bringing the family to the Phoenix Park man. I don't think you can lay the watershed moment for the World at my door. If this crisis was "supposed" to change the World, I must've missed that memo.

But in all seriousness, I don't think there was a single thing wrong with the setup of the Park prior to March of this year.

Correction, I would rearrange Ashtown Gate to be one-way permanently as its a mess, but other than that, twas all grand as far as I'm concerned. Other people seem to agree with me.

Grand? Park has loads of issues. Biggest surrounds drug use in different parts

Biggest issue is it’s just not safe, mostly because you let a child hand go and they are in risk of getting knocked down. A very high risk from a car, nearly ever section you are in is surrounded by a road which is very easy access, apart from maybe down in part past popes cross.

That’s hardly a park is it? Not able to walk around with the fear your child could get knocked down

How is that “grand”?

This is a bigger issue with Ireland but I said it years ago, we are lazy. In the majority the people of Ireland are lazy. If we can’t drive a car from our front door to the front door of the next location we complain. I have done it myself.

Yet we move out of Ireland and suddenly we have no issue, who needs a car then. It’s fascinating.

Park at half way house and your maybe a 30 min walk to the zoo. Yet people going on here as if you asking them to park 3 hours away.

At present it’s not a park, it’s a road system with greenways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If the OPW were to have a consultation they wouldn't be obliged to implement what people say. A consultation is really just to be seen to listening.

Basically, I don't think that a public consultation is the magic solution that people expect it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Biggest issue is it’s just not safe, mostly because you let a child hand go and they are in risk of getting knocked down. A very high risk from a car, nearly ever section you are in is surrounded by a road which is very easy access, apart from maybe down in part past popes cross.

That’s hardly a park is it? Not able to walk around with the fear your child could get knocked down

Exactly. I drive through the park twice a day. You need to be on the lookout for deer coming onto Chesterfield Avenue as it is. Before Covid you had to be on high alert for kids coming out between cars on the avenue or car doors opening. It looks much nicer and is much safer now, and the car parks are safely off the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....Biggest issue is it’s just not safe, mostly because you let a child hand go and they are in risk of getting knocked down. A very high risk from a car, nearly ever section you are in is surrounded by a road which is very easy access, apart from maybe down in part past popes cross.

What people are asking for is no through road side gates closed and keep the existing very parks only.

That changes very little about the road safety as people still will be driving all over the park and thorough it to get to things like the zoo, Farmleigh, visitor center, pope's cross, hospital etc.

Out if curiosity are their any statistics on the accidents with pedestrians and specifically children in the park? Are are we all just meant to guess?

Advertisement