Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Park is great the way it is. Open to all and excellent amenities. Just open back up the gates and return to normal
    But "normal" wasn't good! It was better better without cars.
    If cars are to be allowed into the park they should be confined and not allowed have the primacy they had before. There should be no through traffic and no free parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why would they build the car park in the zoo when they can build it outside and bring people in and out?

They did build it in the park.

Building a car park outside the park means buying land, setting up and paying for the bus transfers, and I don't know how you restrict parking to park visitors. It's a lot of money for a very imperfect solution. It also increases overall traffic while making the park a lot less attractive to visitors.

Is that enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They did build it in the park.

Building a car park outside the park means buying land, setting up and paying for the bus transfers, and I don't know how you restrict parking to park visitors. It's a lot of money for a very imperfect solution. It also increases overall traffic while making the park a lot less attractive to visitors.

Is that enough?

They built a smsall one which is not big enough, bettere to convert back and build outside for entire park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe they shouldn't have extended the zoo either. Put that back to fields. Maybe move it out to tayto....

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe they shouldn't have extended the zoo either. Put that back to fields. Maybe move it out to tayto....

The zoo is animals into a park, exactly what a park should be used for. A car park doesn't really bring in animals etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

If cars are to be allowed into the park they should be confined and not allowed have the primacy they had before. There should be no through traffic and no free parking.

Why?

Normal was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It was never fully without cars before. Ever.

Park is great the way it is. Open to all and excellent amenities. Just open back up the gates and return to normal

This is what I'm pushing for. There wasn't a thing wrong with it (except for Ashtown gate) prior to March.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Agreed. Through traffic down the avenue, like it or not, is necessary.

But I do believe that parking should be structured so as to prohibit parking for those going into the city, whether commuters or shoppers, and also that there should be no through routes from any side gates. Bollards blocking through routes like were installed on the s-bends years ago would do the job, allowing cars only into car parks beside the gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes it was good. Park is in fact great. Cars work fine the way they are. So do cyclists, walkers, people with dogs, people watching deer, and those having sex at night in there. All seems to work. No need to fcuk it up to suit just the cyclists or walkers who live close. Leave it da fcuk alone :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Agreed. Through traffic down the avenue, like it or not, is necessary.

But I do believe that parking should be structured so as to prohibit parking for those going into the city, whether commuters or shoppers, and also that there should be no through routes from any side gates. Bollards blocking through routes like were installed on the s-bends years ago would do the job, allowing cars only into car parks beside the gates.

Agree with second paragraph, but not in agreement with through traffic at all. It is a rat run and is not something that should be encouraged in a public park, all for commuters really god help them.

There are many places in the city and suburbs that do not have the advantage of a long straight run into what is effectively the city centre.

All traffic should be on the boundary roads like North Road. No parking either.

I am a bit bolshie about it I admit, but if cars take over the park it will be a disaster. There is a window of opportunity now and I hope OPW use it wisely. I know many will disagree with me, but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Can you just imagine the gridlock around Carpenterstown /Castleknock/Chapelizod in September if they don’t open those side gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yes it was good. Park is in fact great. Cars work fine the way they are. So do cyclists, walkers, people with dogs, people watching deer, and those having sex at night in there. All seems to work. No need to fcuk it up to suit just the cyclists or walkers who live close. Leave it da fcuk alone :D

It's definitely led to increased traffic volumes for those who live close and are trying to go about their regular business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can you just imagine the gridlock around Carpenterstown /Castleknock/Chapelizod in September if they don’t open those side gates?

It is an accident of suburbia.

There are so many other places around the city suburbs that face traffic gridlock every day too. Why should the environs of the PP be any different?

As my late Dad used to say "gerrow o that garden". LOL.

It is an accident of suburbia.

There are so many other places around the city suburbs that face traffic gridlock every day too. Why should the environs of the PP be any different?

As my late Dad used to say "gerrow o that garden". LOL.

So generate additional traffic in those areas - and that's acceptable because other areas have traffic problems too!?

The relevant authorities should at least have the decency to offer solutions to the problems they're manufacturing.

One compromise would be to open the gates during certain peak business hours when reduced numbers of recreational visitors will be in the park. Or open them proactively to manage traffic flow where necessary.

Not sure if you're being flippant but regardless, I don't live near the park (about 15km away).

If you don't want to be stuck in traffic then don't drive!

hardybuck wrote: »
    So generate additional traffic in those areas - and that's acceptable because other areas have traffic problems too!?

The relevant authorities should at least have the decency to offer solutions to the problems they're manufacturing.

One compromise would be to open the gates during certain peak business hours when reduced numbers of recreational visitors will be in the park. Or open them proactively to manage traffic flow where necessary.
    Traffic problems are down to one single factor - people driving in areas that can't cope with the volume.
    Get out of your car if you want to enter the city.
    Plans like Bus Connects will work if people use their heads!

Traffic problems are down to one single factor - people driving in areas that can't cope with the volume.

I think you're fighting a war that is beyond what's at issue here.

But I swear if I hear one more tone-deaf reference to public transport while it remains on an enforced capacity reduction during this global public health emergency I'll go and bust open those gates myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Just revert back to the park the way it was before Covid. It worked fine.

But I swear if I hear one more tone-deaf reference to public transport while it remains on an enforced capacity reduction during this global public health emergency I'll go and bust open those gates myself.

What difference does it make if the gates are open or not? Takes a little bit more time to drive to and open gate of you wish to enter. So what? Anyone going to a destination in the park just takes a few mins more to get there.
    The parking on the avenue should never return, it is much safer now.
    All carparks are open, so no problem there.

What is the issue?

Who said anything about the city?

There are huge delays in places like Cabra and Castleknock since this has happened. It's forcing traffic into a couple of roads rather than spreading it over a number of roads.

Why should these areas be destroyed with traffic ?

bubblypop wrote: »
    What difference does it make if the gates are open or not? Takes a little bit more time to drive to and open gate of you wish to enter. So what? Anyone going to a destination in the park just takes a few mins more to get there.
    The parking on the avenue should never return, it is much safer now.
    All carparks are open, so no problem there.

What is the issue?

It means that traffic is concentrated on two gates rather than several.

For example Castleknock now is the only way in and out for the non-city traffic which is forcing a lot more cars through the village. Locals are struggling to get around since this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's definitely led to increased traffic volumes for those who live close and are trying to go about their regular business.

Castleknock is an even bigger bottleneck than it already was now. Had to pick up something in parcel motel on a Sunday recently. Not including the stop it took me 30 minutes to get from Blanchardstown to Castleknock and back, at 11am on a Sunday morning. That's with no church services on!

I think you're fighting a war that is beyond what's at issue here.

Ev ery other city in europe have moved to bikes, Ireland well we complain because we cant get in a car and drive into a park

We really are an embrassment to the World

Ev ery other city in europe have moved to bikes, Ireland well we complain because we cant get in a car and drive into a park

Should we have nuclear power and inner city incinerators too?

It means that traffic is concentrated on two gates rather than several.

For example Castleknock now is the only way in and out for the non-city traffic which is forcing a lot more cars through the village. Locals are struggling to get around since this happened.

Non city traffic? Do you mean people travelling out of the city?
    They don't need to go into the village, so can't see how they would make a difference.
    Commuters going to & from castleknock & Blanch probably go through the village, but then they probably always did anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bubblypop wrote: »
    Commuters going to & from castleknock & Blanch probably go through the village, but then they probably always did anyway.

You'd have to be slightly daft to go through the village on your commute unless you've no other choice. Which many won't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'll ask again.

What do I do with my two year old and her buggy? Throw it on the back of a bike?

How do older people get there? Should we put our grannies on the crossbar?

Jesus.

Advertisement