Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Controlling selfish parking is no less a challenge than it was pre-Covid.

My feeling is theres a bit of over enthusiasm going on, like when cattle are let out to pasture after the Winter, it should settle down again once the carparks are all reopened.

Looking at twitter and listening back to the radio pieces about it all today, it makes me almost afraid I might bring down the Government! :) Good times...

Oh well, off back to the Pub, dying for a draught Guinness, no car tonight lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is Ashtown Gate back open too? That should be kept closed permanently Covid or no Covid.

Is Ashtown Gate back open too? That should be kept closed permanently Covid or no Covid.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The cycle path used to be the inner one (further from the road).
    In winter some pedestrians understandably feel unsafe and the walk on the cycle track. As the street lighting is very low this increases the risk of cyclist/pedestrian conflict.

How about swapping the cycle track and pedestrian path and repaving the path to be as nice as the existing cycle track?
    This would allow pedestrians feel safer in winter and zoo goers do the natural thing of walking on the path nearest where they've parked (on Chesterfield Avenue).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

As long as the cars don’t park in the trails I couldn’t give a ****e. Long live cyclocross!

Any road cyclist out for any sort of decent spin wouldn’t be cycling in the park anyway so it’s only those out for a toddle about the place on a Dublin bike or that who’d be affected by more traffic and pedestrians and sure they’re not in a rush anywhere so what’s the harm?

Let them in I say, great to see the park utilised and people enjoying it. Go watch the deer, kick a football, look at the trees, whatever. If that means you need to bring a car and park up so be it. It’s an amazing amenity that more people should enjoy.

It’s not just for Castleknockians.

Not sure you are actually permitted to cycle the trails although many do but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Glad common sense prevailed. The park is for all the people. Not the privileged few.

All Eyes On Rafah

ligerdub wrote: »
    Whose car park? Or they could just park in a place designated for public use, it's actually quite refreshing that such things still exist somewhere rather than the gouging of the general public that happens pretty much everywhere else on the island. Here's a mad idea, maybe they park on the avenue because that's exactly where they planned on going, not some hypothesized car park miles away..

?
    There are many car parks actually IN the park. No need to go miles away....
    I'm in the park everyday, for work & recreation & I can assure you there are plenty of cars taking up spaces that should be there for park users

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Not sure you are actually permitted to cycle the trails although many do but I could be wrong.

You the fun police?

Glad common sense prevailed. The park is for all the people. Not the privileged few.

The park didn't close?
    It has been open all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

bubblypop wrote: »
    The park didn't close?
    It has been open all the time.

I must have been imagining the closed gates and no parking cones everywhere preventing families who do not live within walking distance from accessing parking areas.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I must have been imagining the closed gates and no parking cones everywhere preventing families who do not live within walking distance from accessing parking areas.

No, car parks were open once the first lock down was lifted. Once we went beyond 2 kilometres. So they were only closed for couple of weeks?
    Gates were open all the time, just not all gates.

So, open for all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Car access would be fine if drivers did not decide to park on the pavement all over the place as seen above. Selfish priks.

There are numerous car parks, but obviously not close enough for those who don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ...it should settle down again once the carparks are all reopened.
    Which car parks are still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I'm still loving the characterisation of reopening the gates as a unilateral OPW decision.

I and others put significant pressure on OPW to remind them of their statutory obligations. They could not simply leave so-called emergency measures in place indefinitely on a wink and a nod.

A full consultation process on traffic and transport issues around the Park has been committed too, anyone thats feeling in any way butthurt about this, can get involved with it when the time comes.

This is a great day for due process and transparency, not being rode roughshod over by certain vocal zealous lobbies.

I would be surprised if keeping them closed beyond the restrictions was a unilateral decision also. Knowing the OPW and their management of the Park, which they do very well, traffic restrictions to that level would be in consultation with An Garda Siochana. The decision to keep them closed was never a good idea in my mind and I actually think would have been a big negative for the Park and places like the visitor centre of Farmleigh markets. I agree there was a vocal cohort that wanted them closed but my guess is they are mainly people who don’t visit the Park all that much or in all weathers.

Would love to see restrictions back to the level of previous summer weekends with Chesterfield avenue closed between Mountjoy and Phoenix to vehicular traffic. There is plenty of Parking areas already in the Park and no need for anymore and generally no need to Park up on grass areas.

Terrific result to re opening the side gates. NOT.

Some car drivers don't give a fig at all, and really the way they are parking on pavements is a no no for me anyway. But was inevitable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

daymobrew wrote: »
    The cycle path used to be the inner one (further from the road).
    In winter some pedestrians understandably feel unsafe and the walk on the cycle track. As the street lighting is very low this increases the risk of cyclist/pedestrian conflict.

How about swapping the cycle track and pedestrian path and repaving the path to be as nice as the existing cycle track?
    This would allow pedestrians feel safer in winter and zoo goers do the natural thing of walking on the path nearest where they've parked (on Chesterfield Avenue).
    The cycle path was the path nearest the road; the one which people went straight to when they got out of their car.

The cycle path was the path nearest the road; the one which people went straight to when they got out of their car.

Correct. Most people going for a walk will use the pavement not a walk across a dedicated cycle track to go for a walk.

A person was killed by a bike not so long ago, RIP. conflict as to who should have been where is my guess.

Correct. Most people going for a walk will use the pavement not a walk across a dedicated cycle track to go for a walk.

A person was killed by a bike not so long ago, RIP. conflict as to who should have been where is my guess.

Not so. The gentleman, whom I knew, was killed off his bike after impacting a pedestrian. The pedestrian survived with minor injuries. A dreadful incident, but could happen almost anywhere.

Not so. The gentleman, whom I knew, was killed off his bike after impacting a pedestrian. The pedestrian survived with minor injuries. A dreadful incident, but could happen almost anywhere.

Sorry to hear that.

Was the pedestrian on the bike path or on the walk path? The inner path is not really instinctive for walkers in general and it is definitely a design fault. With due respect to the deceased person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, car parks were open once the first lock down was lifted. Once we went beyond 2 kilometres. So they were only closed for couple of weeks?
    Gates were open all the time, just not all gates.

So, open for all :)

Not true, I know people who were turned away at castleknock gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I meant *years ago*, not just earlier this year. Sorry I wasn't clearer (my brain and fingers work at different speeds).

mcsean2163 wrote: »

Covid related turn backs by Gardai are clearly something different!!

Sorry to hear that.

Was the pedestrian on the bike path or on the walk path? The inner path is not really instinctive for walkers in general and it is definitely a design fault. With due respect to the deceased person.

The pedestrian crossed the cycle path on his way to cross the Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Note to anyone answering this poll the poll is opposite to the headline...

https://www.thejournal.ie/phoenix-park-gates-poll-5147534-Jul2020/

..nice journalism :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

beauf wrote: »
    Note to anyone answering this poll the poll is opposite to the headline...

https://www.thejournal.ie/phoenix-park-gates-poll-5147534-Jul2020/

..nice journalism :rolleyes:

It has since been corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mcsean2163 wrote: »

For what reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

micar wrote: »
    It has since been corrected

To correct it they would have restart the poll.

As it is now its bad data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Just back from an enjoyable morning in the Phoenix Park. So good being able to enter and exit via chapelizod gates again. A few bogusly parked cars which would be easily rectified with additional double yellow lines. No cyclists in either cycle lane as I drove back via chesterfield avenue. They really should bring in 3 hour paid parking on that road. Wasted space as it is now.

Even I wouldn't go that far.

Though there should be no sacred cows in the public consultation, everything on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Even I wouldn't go that far.

Though there should be no sacred cows in the public consultation, everything on the table.

Wouldn't what; advocate for paid parking along the avenue?

Advertisement