Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No you're right not single extra person cycled or walked to the park during the lockdown. But how did they all get there when all the gates were closed to traffic? If you're simply going to deny reality there isn't much point attempting to have a discussion

I posted a link. No comment on that. Anyone post any other links? No? Can't really comment on links that haven't been posted can I.

When you say extra. How are you measuring extra. They often close the cycle paths for an event like bloom etc. Do you mean extra than than. Park closed for cycling during pope visit. Do you mean extra than that. How about a bank holiday on a very warm and sunny day. Do you mean extra than than?

What reality am I denying? I'm just pointing out you're taking a situation out of context. Not that the situation didn't exist. In fact you are the one denying reality not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

beauf wrote: »
    I posted a link. No comment on that. Anyone post any other links? No? Can't really comment on links that haven't been posted can I.

When you say extra. How are you measuring extra. They often close the cycle paths for an event like bloom etc. Do you mean extra than than. Park closed for cycling during pope visit. Do you mean extra than that. How about a bank holiday on a very warm and sunny day. Do you mean extra than than?

What reality am I denying? I'm just pointing out you're taking a situation out of context. Not that the situation didn't exist. In fact you are the one denying reality not me.

Do you think if you concede a single point the gates will automatically close or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Do you think if you concede a single point the gates will automatically close or something?

Wasn't that the point of the thread, the opw did exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

The Gates were never closed except during the Gemma O Doherty muckology, even during Covid. Anyone who wanted could park up around the edge and walk in. A decent compromise you might think.

Later, when it was relaxed, cars could drive in and park e.g at the Papal Cross, at the sports grounds, furry Glen you name it. As far as I recall the only places cars couldn't go was the Magazine fort area cos there was no way out ; not great but at least its a lot more peaceful than before.

But still this wasn't enough for the hardcore lot, and so we regressed to the strokepulling and having all the side gates open again.

• Advertisement

Initially. They were closed except the main gates were opened for essential workers only.

Not the details are important. They've closed gates and roads so often I don't even think it unusual when they do.

I used to go to Mary's regularly and there would often be closures that would effect that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Wasn't that the point of the thread, the opw did exactly that.
    I'm pretty sure that the OPW aren't making decisions based on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

trellheim wrote: »
    But still this wasn't enough for the hardcore lot, and so we regressed to the strokepulling and having all the side gates open again.

This again. Its only a stroke because you don't like it.

I, and I'm told, hundreds of others, made representations about opening the gates. It eventually was explained to OPW that they were the ones pulling a strok, effectively, by leaving so-called emergency measures in place indefinitely by basically throwing away the key. That had no credibility for many reasons.

This again. Its only a stroke because you don't like it.

I, and I'm told, hundreds of others, made representations about opening the gates. It eventually was explained to OPW that they were the ones pulling a strok, effectively, by leaving so-called emergency measures in place indefinitely by basically throwing away the key. That had no credibility for many reasons.
    Larbre34 is online now Report Post

The gates were never closed and in fact for most of the period mentioned you could drive in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

No you said walking.. if you can do it while walking (why you'd do that I have no idea) why not cycling and driving...
    Reading while cycling or driving is very dangerous.
    I read while walking to pass the time. It was a 25 min walk. I didn't own an iPod or similar. Admittedly the reading was rather inefficient and my walking was slowed a bit.
    It's still overcrowded. People get sick and pass out all the time. You can't read because there isn't enough space between people and you need your hands to hold on, because there are no handles in the spaces you have to cram into..

It's been overcrowded for decades at peak, in the 90s was e same aswell. Capacity never keeps up with demand and they keep building and putting more demand on the system.

I have no idea what point your making with the 2000s.
    I read and I distinctly remember noticing people reading Harry Potter novels (they were big books and, as such, easier to see the titles). I often leaned against the door and shifted my weight around a bit to reduce the need for a handle. I'd push against the wall or top of the door to steady myself if necessary.

I mentioned 2000s because the last time I didn't mention a date (wrt when cycle track was the inside path) it confused people. I also mentioned the years because those that used the trains during that time would remember that they were notoriously crowded. It was before many trains were extended to 6 or 8 carriages.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    Reading while cycling or driving is very dangerous.
    I read while walking to pass the time. It was a 25 min walk. I didn't own an iPod or similar. Admittedly the reading was rather inefficient and my walking was slowed a bit.

... Reading a book or phone while walking is not exactly safe considering the number of youtube featuring people doing exactly that. Never mind cycling or driving. Hence the hyperbole.
    daymobrew wrote: »
    ...I also mentioned the years because those that used the trains during that time would remember that they were notoriously crowded. It was before many trains were extended to 6 or 8 carriages...

I experienced both and it's worse now. But it depends on route and time.

Over he last 5 years my train has got steadily shorter. Shortest it's ever been now. Never been longer than 4.

They have a shortage of rolling stock. There's a bunch arriving soon I think. Too late for me I had mostly stopped using the train before the lockdown. Just abysmal its so packed.

The gates were never closed and in fact for most of the period mentioned you could drive in and out.

Are you referring to Garda stopping turning people around as being open, as in the actual physical gates weren't physically closed?

I mean that in terms of Gates being closed they were not. You could walk or cycle through all of the gates at any time during Covid ( bar the Gemma o Doherty thing ) . Closed means rights of way are infringed - like Lissadell and so on and this never happened, you could walk anywhere.

Anyone working in the park like Ordnance Survey, Garda HQ or the Aras or Gaisce were never stopped from driving in and out either even during the worst of the lockdown if they had to go to work

Later, traffic was opened from Parkgate to Castleknock gate at which point you could drive anywhere in the park except the Magazine Fort .

I ....you could walk anywhere.

....at which point you could drive anywhere ...

...I bet if you tried to drive or walk into the Aras or American ambassador residence for example, they might disagree with you...

Oh well, the Greens got Barry Cowen's head, might as well take the Phoenix Park gates off the hinges, they'll never be closed again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

... Reading a book or phone while walking is not exactly safe considering the number of youtube featuring people doing exactly that. Never mind cycling or driving. Hence the hyperbole.

I experienced both and it's worse now. But it depends on route and time.

Over he last 5 years my train has got steadily shorter. Shortest it's ever been now. Never been longer than 4.

They have a shortage of rolling stock. There's a bunch arriving soon I think. Too late for me I had mostly stopped using the train before the lockdown. Just abysmal its so packed.

My commute was Drive, train, bus, walk. twice a day.
    The last few years I am Drive, bus, walk even though its about 20 minutes slower, purely due to the trains being packed like sardines. One good think that came from Covid. At least i havent been commuting for a while.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    My commute was Drive, train, bus, walk. twice a day.
    The last few years I am Drive, bus, walk even though its about 20 minutes slower, purely due to the trains being packed like sardines. One good think that came from Covid. At least i havent been commuting for a while.

Same here. I'll stay WFH as long as I can.

So we are all agreed, close the park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Shefwedfan wrote: »

To whom?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think anyone who lives in D15 beyond the M50 thinks that's a good idea.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I don't think anyone who lives in D15 beyond the M50 thinks that's a good idea.

We could of course close down to all cars except electric :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Or close it down to all cyclists except children, I’d back that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's something I've thought about, if you build a tunnel for only zero emission vehicles it requires much lower levels of ventilation. So, let's dig an EV only tunnel under Chesterfield Avenue, I'm sure we can get a budget for digging spoons from the Green Party, we can sneak out the spoil in pockets and release it on Bull Island

Close it to all vehicluar traffic except cars driven by children.

I see Jack Chambers is the new Government Chief Whip, might as well knock the Park walls down too ;)

The real question is if electric scooters are allowed...

Mandatory in fact, but only for D15 residents, it you are from one of the other postal districts you have to use electric rollerblades.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Oh well, the Greens got Barry Cowen's head, might as well take the Phoenix Park gates off the hinges, they'll never be closed again ;)

Never underestimate the amount of inter party rivalry that exist between members of the same political party. Cowen’s departure has more than a whiff of been a inside hatchet job.

Would be only to welcome, provided the rider is in possession of the soon to be introduced Driving Licence category and possession of mandatory Vehicle insurance.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Would be only to welcome, provided the rider is in possession of the soon to be introduced Driving Licence category and possession of mandatory Vehicle insurance.

So motorbikes are ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

liamog wrote: »
    Mandatory in fact, but only for D15 residents, it you are from one of the other postal districts you have to use electric rollerblades.

I'm still worried about the Polo players, and even more worried at the idea of horses on electric scooters

Advertisement